Legacy World 5.20
259 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Days after days passed.

Now that Eva was Austin's bodyguard, she followed him around wherever he went, along with his other 4 bodyguards. Since Eva stayed the closest to Austin, it did not interfere or change the way the other bodyguards functioned. They were the kind that kept a small distance from Austin, ensuring that no one entered a certain perimeter behind him.

Eva found that her job as his bodyguard was pretty easy.

Her mornings started earlier than everyone else's. She would wake up just before dawn broke to practice her marital arts, play with the weaponry at her disposal, practice shooting, then experiment with whatever she could before it was lunchtime.

When Austin incidentally found out that she has been waking up early to practice, he started to wake up as early as her to practice as well. After he had caught her parents, he began neglecting his physical training regime. Now that the fire was lit again, he resumed his daily sparring sessions with his bodyguards in the backyard. 

Only he knew that the one he truly wanted to spar against was Eva. Since the day he saw her fight against the two royal guards, he was itching to find out how they would fare against each other. However, he was worried about how friendly that would come across and if it was right to do so or not. In the end, he could only satisfy his desire by giving the excuse that it would be good for a master to know the strength of his bodyguard, thus sparring with her around once every week or so. 

After his physical training and weaponry and shooting practice, he would wash up then did whatever work he could in his private study before lunchtime.

During lunchtime at noon, Eva was required to join Austin in the dining hall to eat together. Apparently, he still does not trust her to feed herself properly. 

During the time he spent eating with her in her room, he had figured out how she had fooled Edwin into thinking she was eating properly without leaving any evidence behind. The idea came to him when he started to notice how the birds that oddly congregated at her window and chirped noisily during mealtimes started to decrease overtime. 

Despite the excuse he gave, BaoBao believed that Austin was coming up with excuses for the both of them in order to satisfy his desires without feeling bad about it, which Eva now knew better than to deny it as a possibility.

Everyday, Austin only went out in the afternoon to meet with other important people like business partners and major traders. Otherwise, he would assume a fake identity as a normal civilian to check on what was happening on the ground and get a feel of the community himself. Since the common people on the streets would hardly get a chance to meet him as the duke, nobody recognised him.

It was only during these occasional times that her role as his new bodyguard really stood out. All the time, his other bodyguards could only disperse and keep watch on him from afar. Otherwise they would stand out with their big and intimidating statures. In comparison, Eva could easily blend in by changing into a proper lady's clothes, wear a hat to hide her short hair which was uncharacteristic for females here, then pretend to be Austin's partner. 

That being said, they did not act like any loving couple. The only thing that changed between them was how they looked and how Eva would be introduced to anyone who asked about her.

One afternoon of every month, Austin would pay the royal couple a visit, bringing some gifts and updates about the economy and people to them. Once she was informed of his monthly visits, she immediately understood to borrow enough materials from the palace to last her for at least a month until his next visit. Whenever she was done with her study materials and wanted to get new ones from the palace, she would inform him and he would plan for the next day to be his monthly visit to the palace. She would also tell him of any progress made in experiments which he would relay to the royal couple in her stead. 

Austin would always be done with his business by dinnertime so they would eat together in the dining hall as usual. Afterwards, Eva would spend the rest of the night either studying or planning for more experiments she could carry out the next day. Austin would wash up before returning to work in his private study or turn in for the rest of the day.

Overtime, people began to notice a certain bond and chemistry between the two of them. Their minimal interaction with each other which was supposed to make them look less friendly, only served to highlight how well they understood each other's needs without needing words. Jealousy eventually started brewing once more. 

This time, Edwin caught wind of their gossip and noticed the mental state of the servants much faster than before.

It was after dinner and all of the servants were gathered in the main hall.

Edwin stood in front of them with Eva beside him. Without the servants' knowledge, Austin was leaning against the railing and observing everything from the top of the staircase behind them.

"I've heard some complaints and noticed some dissatisfaction among you which seem to center around miss Eva here. If there's anything you're not happy about, say it upfront. Otherwise, out the door you go." Everyone knew that Edwin was implying that he knew who were the guilty ones.

One by one maids and manservants started to voice their dissatisfaction.

"Why's Eva made the bodyguard?"

"If someone like her can become a bodyguard, can't any one of us make it too?"

"Yes, what can a girl do as a bodyguard?"

"It's unfair that she gets paid better for doing nothing."

"She's not actually working as a bodyguard, is she? I'm sure I can do whatever she does. Why am I not given a chance?"

"How about me? What are the qualifications to do whatever she's doing?"

Once everyone voiced their doubts and suspicions, Edwin spoke.

"In that case... Do you want to be shown the difference between her and the rest of you?"

Everyone nodded in unison.

Edwin walked to the side to retrieve a sword that was resting against the wall. He drew the sword then randomly swung the sword at the servants. Everyone screamed while they ran, froze, or cowered in response. Edwin made sure not to miss a single one of them.

Once he felt that all of them have been scared enough, he suddenly spun around to swing the sword at Eva. Although Eva had also been caught by surprise, not only did she immediately reveal her own daggers to parry the swing, she automatically spun around to counter with an attack of her own. The tip of her poisoned dagger was now a centimetre away from his throat. After a moment of silence, she withdrew her weapons and kept them back where they were hidden on her body. Only then could Edwin move freely again.

He cleared his throat before addressing the servants again. "Who stood their ground?"

No one could answer. However, a few stubborn ones argued back.

"How do we know that it wasn't staged?"

Edwin glared at him. "Do you really think that I'd have to stoop so low for your entertainment?"

While the one that asked the question got shut up, another spoke up. "Well, she has been training for this, so it's to be expected that she was more prepared than we were. Physically and mentally!"

So now they admit that she's qualified but unfairly? Just as Edwin intended to fire them for their stubborn idiocy, footsteps were heard from behind everyone.

Everyone turned towards the source of the sound to find Austin walking down the stairs with an icy air of confidence around him.

He kept his gaze trained on the servant closest to him who happened to be a maid. Thinking that she had a chance of being noticed by him and was being assessed now, she put on her best smile. However, with every step he took towards her, her smile and determination faltered. Eventually, she ended up looking down and sat on the floor looking defeated.

Austin then moved onto his next target, walking at a slow and measured pace.

Everyone thought that they could do better than the other. While the menservants mainly tried to look brave and strong like his bodyguards did, the maids showed a greater variety. There were calm ones, coquettish ones, sweet ones, and friendly ones. However, none of them could hold his gaze for longer than a few seconds.

When he was done intimidating the last one, he looked at Eva and Edwin. The both of them understood his cue and they approached him to stand by his sides.

Upon hearing Edwin's and Eva's footsteps, they looked up and witnessed how the both of them could confidently approach Austin and continue to hold their heads up high while standing near him.

"If you think that working this closely with me is possible, I dare you to try." Austin said in a biting cold manner.

Immediately, those who did not take this seriously before were slapped awake. They could not even stand being near him. He had felt so intimidating and overwhelming that made them feel so small and worthless when they were gazed upon.

"No one?" Austin slowly looked around the crowd of servants cowering on the floor in submission. "The next time someone speaks with no results to show, you're gone." This ambiguous threat sent a chill down their spine.

It was only some time later after they calmed down that the servants realised they were indeed still given a chance. As long as they worked well and showed results, there was a possibility of promotion to a better position and pay. Their status would not be stagnant. This spurred them on and Edwin never heard a word of complaint ever again.

 

Just like that, a year passed by peacefully for everyone in the household.

The childhood friends have not met in the past year since parting from the graveyard. Esmeralda did not celebrate her 18th and 19th birthday and Dylan chose not to either. Eva learnt that Austin never did anything special for his birthday ever since his parents died. If not for Edwin wishing Austin a happy birthday, Eva would not have known when his birthday was.

Esmeralda kept in contact with Austin through letters though, which Austin only occasionally reciprocated after scanning through the letters.

It was autumn once more and the weather was getting cold again. Everyone wore their thicker and heavy coats, some were already using scarfs and hats. However, the road remained as busy as ever, if not busier. People were trying to do as much business as they can before holing up for the winter.

Austin was on another one of his routine visits to town. They were taking a stroll near the harbour that has stalls set up along the long street by different vendors. While Austin was engaged in a conversation with one of the vendors about his merchandise, BaoBao's voice suddenly rang out in Eva's mind. Gun! Duck! Left!!

Eva grabbed Austin and followed BaoBao's directions without delay. Almost immediately after she reacted, several gunshots and screams filled the air. Everyone went scrambling, vendors hid behind or below their stalls, while Eva and Austin used the stall they were at as their cover as well.

With their backs against the stall and guns drawn, they waited for more sounds of gunshots or signs of pursuit. 

He ran away!

What?

He gave up straight after you hid behind the stall! The other bodyguards tried to give chase but he was too far from them to begin with.

Did you get how he looks like?

No... He hid most of his features behind a scarf. I could only see his eyes, and I couldn't tell the colour of his hair because of his hat... Something about the look in his eyes didn't look right though... That was why I panicked. I didn't expect that he'd run off so easily.

Forget it then. Let's just hope it's a one-off thing.

Anyway, are you o-

"You're hurt." Austin said with a frown. After he had checked that the place was only left with panicky and unsettled people and that there was no sign of the shooter, he turned back to check on Eva. The dark red blood on her right shoulder immediately caught his attention.

Eva followed Austin's gaze and looked at her right shoulder. She did not notice that she had gotten shot. Even now, the pain was quite bearable.

Being able to hear her thoughts, BaoBao commented. Are you training your pain tolerance as you transmigrate or something...?

It was probably just adrenaline. I think.

"Let's get you to the doctor." Austin instinctively moved to carry her, but she reacted faster and held onto his arm firmly with her left hand while standing up by herself. Austin followed suit and stood up to return to their carriage together. In the end, all he could do was to offer her his handkerchief to try and stop the bleeding.

Unexpectedly, the carriage did not arrive as it would usually. 

Instead of waiting for the bodyguard to check on the driver then returning with the carriage, Austin decided to walk there and leave for the doctor's place directly from wherever it was parked.

They reached their carriage to find a small crowd surrounding it and their driver dead in the driver's seat. Beside the dead body, there was a note pinned on the wall of the carriage. "This is just the beginning."

Austin gritted his teeth, ripped the note off the carriage and tore it into pieces, then headed for the carriage that was meant for the bodyguards. "I'll use the other carriage to bring Eva to the doctor. Give him a proper burial."

Three bodyguards followed Austin while the last one carried out his order to take care of the dead body. 

During the ride to the doctor's place, Eva and Austin reflected on the attack.

BaoBao, from now on, pay attention to all the conversations happening around Austin, especially of the people whom he met.

Got it!

While Eva looked relaxed, Austin was gripping his hands together so tightly that his nails dug into his skin and his eyes took on a shadowed and faraway look. I have to figure out the one responsible as soon as possible. I can't let it happen again. Not again.

4