Legacy World 5.21
253 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the doctor saw the new guests being ushered into the house by his wife, he quickly finished up his consultation with the current patient he was seeing so that he could attend to them.

"What happened?" The doctor asked while he readied the instruments needed for the removal of the bullet in Eva's shoulder.

"An attack near the harbour. The person got away." Austin said through gritted teeth. "How's she?"

"Don't worry. She's lucky, it's only a flesh wound. A simple procedure is all it needs. It'll hurt though. Would you like to use local anesthesia?"

"Yes." Austin replied in her stead. However, Eva shook her head.

"I listen to the patient." The doctor shrugged then proceeded on to remove the bullet. He did not want to waste time and let the wound fester while they argued about whether to use anesthesia or not. 

Austin frowned. "Why did you reject it? It's not like money is an issue for me. Is it not painful?"

Eva shook her head. Now that someone was actually fiddling with the wound, it definitely hurt more than when it was left untouched. However, she could still grit her teeth and bear with it. Since it was so, she would rather use the money that he did not mind spending on her to procure more resources for her experiments.

Half an hour later, the doctor was already beginning to stitch Eva's wound back up. He prescribed medicine to prevent any inflammation of the wound, then advised how she could rehabilitate the injured muscle. He then offered to go to Austin's mansion to check her wound two weeks later.

The doctor raised his eyebrows in amusement as he watched them make their way out and back to their carriage. Although the time they spent there was brief, he had noticed the subtle glances and silent understanding that Austin and Eva shared with barely any exchange of words. Now, now, if I didn't know better, I'd think that they grew up alongside each other or something. Perhaps I should help to push your boy forward a little... Keep watching over him, will you?

 

Two weeks passed by quietly.

Austin did not reveal it on the surface but his nerves were pulled taut every time he went out. As much as he would like Eva to rest at home until her injury recovered, he could not show too much favourtism. Neither did he think acting on it would be acceptable anyway. The best he could do was to catch the culprit as soon as possible. 

Not wanting to alert the other party, he secretly started his investigations once more with only Edwin's aid. This caused him to have later dinners and later nights.

Unbeknownst to them, Eva was in the know of the true reason behind Austin's increasingly busy schedule, thanks to BaoBao. They were making use of any information that Austin gathered and added it on to whatever BaoBao gathered to make their own guesses. 

While Austin was tense every time they went out, Eva was much calmer about it. She trusted in BaoBao's surveillance and ability to warn her in time if something happens. Since this world had no supernatural powers or forces at work, it would be harder for him to sneak up on Austin or her without BaoBao knowing it.

After the doctor checked that her wound was healing up nicely and faster than he expected, he went to the sitting room to inform him of Eva's condition.

Austin was so focused on the documents in front of him that the doctor had to knock on the door repeatedly before he noticed it and asked Edwin to let the doctor in. Edwin left to get tea for the doctor after letting him in. 

"It's all good. She's healing faster than I expected." The doctor reported while settling down into one of the couches.

Austin nodded then picked up his cup to drink his tea. The doctor recognised it as a sign that he was relaxed.

"Are the two of you together yet?"

Austin choked on his tea and ended up in a bad coughing fit. Edwin returned just then and was greeted with the scene of the doctor patting Austin's back and looking amused.

"What happened?"

"It's nothing, he just choked on his tea."

"That never happened before. Is something wrong with the tea?" Edwin was especially cautious since they knew that someone was after his life.

Austin shook his head and spoke with some difficulty. "I was just surprised when he told me that he was still trying for another kid at his age."

The doctor's eyes went large and round at his accusation. Whereas, Austin maintained his poker face. Before he could deny the claim, Austin sent Edwin away. "Leave us. There're certain matters he'd like to discuss in private."

Edwin gave the doctor a dirty side eye while he turned to leave the room.

"You-"

"You should know I'm someone vengeful." Austin drank his tea in peace this time.

"Since you have such a smart mouth on your face, care to explain why your love life is lacking progress, hm? Lacking in that area?"

Austin frowned. "I told you, it's complicated."

"What is complicated, Austin? I tried not to pry too much into your life, but I did so with the hope that you'd find happiness after you avenged your parents. Yet here you are, still moping around. Why?"

"... You don't have to care..." Austin was speaking softer now.

"I've been your family's doctor since you were a baby. I feel sad to see you like this and I'm certain that your parents would feel the same too."

"... Why?" Austin spoke even softer. "Why would they? I'm doing all the things that I know would make them proud."

"Yes, and you did it all well. But you forgot one thing, your own happiness. I know your parents would have loved to see you live your life for yourself. Find time for your hobbies, find someone to love, then build your own family."

After a very long pause, Austin finally opened up. "Would they still want that if... If I fell in love with the child of the people who killed them? Would they forgive me?"

The doctor finally realised the dilemma that was like a huge shackle tying Austin's hands down and preventing him from doing anything more.

Austin misunderstood the doctor's surprise and spoke, "As I thought, it's unacceptable."

"No! Do you have so little faith in your parents? Austin, what do you remember of your parents? What kind of people were they? What was their priority?"

"... It's been too long."

"Austin, you can't avoid it forever. It may hurt when you recall the past, but you're not alone. Think about it, Austin. What was their last request of you, Austin?"

Austin looked troubled and he clenched his jaw hard. He hated to think about the past for several reasons. Most importantly, those memories brought him pain and agony that he did not know how to deal with. However, he could not deny that he felt like he was stuck in the rut right now. With some reluctance, he recalled the moment before his parents died.

 

They're  definitely not regular burglars.

We have to go. If they find us all, Austin may not be let off.

Austin, we're going to try and do what we can. ... ... ... If... If we die tonight... Never forget that we love you and want you to be happy no matter what.

Can you stay? I don't want the both of you to die.

If they find us, it'd be wors-

They won't! Let's just be really quiet!

His shoulders got held in a firm grip.

Look at the way they're searching this room right now. They're too thorough to have no experience with such hidden entrances. We hate to have to do this to you but you have to face reality, Austin. 

He was hugged tightly as he started crying.

Knowing how society is, if we die, there'd certainly be people who'd take advantage of our deaths. But it's okay. We've been grooming you to take over us eventually. We trust that you're capable enough to learn how get back anything that was lost due to our deaths. Time is of no issue. Just carry on as you've been taught.

... Just remember, Austin, if it ever gets too hard, if you feel like everything lost its meaning and you want to forgo it all, we won't mind. You can make the choice, my darling baby. That is our wish for you all along.

We're so sorry that you have to go through all these. You're still so young... We love you.

We'll definitely try our best to make it back.

After they kissed his head, he tried to put on a brave front. I love you too. I'll be waiting.

And they left, only to never return.

 

Feeling tears coming forth, Austin ran off without answering the doctor and hid in his private study just in time before his tears rolled down his cheeks. Edwin happened to be busy with bringing in the materials that Eva needed for her experiment, so he completely missed Austin hastily rushing into his private study.

Austin leaned against the shut door and slid down onto the floor slowly. Tears now flowed uncontrollably and he was breathing unevenly. "Father... Mother... I'm sorry... I've been so weak..."

The doctor looked sadly at the empty doorway. While hoping that he did not push Austin too much, he went to look for Eva's for her help just in case he did.

Eva opened the door and stepped aside to let him in. He shook his head then spoke with a sad smile. "I just came to ask for a favour before leaving. Please look out for Austin for me." 

Eva pursed her lips and looked a little troubled, so he apologised. "I know that it'll probably be hard on you if you do so. I'm sorry if it's too much to ask. I just had to try. He's a really nice boy. I can see that you mean something to him and I just want him to be happy. Thank you for listening. I'll take my leave now." 

His smile held sadness and gratitude that made Eva's heart wrench. He looked very fatherly at the moment, so fatherly that it brought tears to her eyes. She smiled to show that she did not mind and the doctor patted her head.

Edwin returned in time to see the doctor taking his leave, so Eva took the materials from him to bring it into her room by herself while Edwin walked the doctor out.

Eva closed the door behind her with her foot and set down the materials on the floor in the middle of the room. Her movements gradually slowed to a stop while she was absent-mindedly taking things out of it. I wonder if he's okay... Is there a way for me to cheer him up...?

 

Once it was lunchtime, Edwin went to Austin's private study only to be told by Austin through the closed door that he would be skipping lunch. Since Austin has stopped skipping a meal ever since he began eating with Eva, he immediately felt worried. 

Being so used to and comfortable with working with Eva now, he let his thoughts slip when he returned to the dining hall where Eva was already seated. "He wants to skip lunch... Do you think something's wrong with him after all? Was there something wrong with the tea?"

"He probably had something urgent to attend to. He had a private talk with the doctor, right?"

"Ah, that's possible. I wonder if plans for the afternoon would change too."

He stopped crying for awhile already. He's just spacing out now.

With that information, Eva answered Edwin. "I don't think so. Otherwise, he would let you know."

"That's true..." Edwin stared at her for awhile and she stared back.

He's a capable and sincere butler but such a worrywart, huh? Eva thought to herself.

Suddenly and unexpectedly, he revealed a small smile. "You really understand him, don't you?" Without waiting for a response, he took a seat opposite her and dug in.

Eva stared at him with a blank look for awhile before digging in to try and hide the soft expression that appeared on her face. You know... With the exception of my family, the people in this world are actually really nice. Even Saddie was not rotten to core. If possible, I'd really like to take a look at the book of this world. Are they meant to be like this?

BaoBao thought for awhile before answering. No one's really requested for it before but I think it is possible to ask for the permission to read the world book after you complete the punishment world. We always know what happens after your death in each world after all.

 

Around the time when they would normally leave in the afternoon, Austin did come out as expected. Now that he regained his composure, he acted as he normally would and went about business as they normally did.

It was only after dinner did Austin do something different. Normally, Austin and Eva would retire to their rooms while Edwin got busy with other matters in the house. Tonight, Austin stayed in the shower for an unusually long time, deep in thought. When he finally came out, it was to go to Eva's room.

Austin knocked on her door and Eva opened it almost without any delay. 

"May I speak to you for awhile?" Austin sounded a little hesitant.

Eva nodded then stood aside to let him in.

Although Austin said it was only for awhile, they ended up sitting at the table near the window in silence for quite a long while. 

He was gazing out the window, clearly still deep in thought. The sky has long been dark now that it was winter and there was almost nothing they could see outside besides the faint stars and bright crescent moon in the sky. 

Eva quietly sat with him, letting him collect his thoughts.

"Today... Doctor Blaze made me recall something important."

Eva continued to silently look at him, waiting for him to continue.

"It was about my parents... Their true wish for me... The kind of people they were... It helped me realise that they wouldn't have minded it..." Austin finally looked at Eva. The way he stared deeply into her eyes made her feel a little difficult to breathe.

"They wouldn't have minded your background. They're someone who sees your capabilities and not your background. I bet that they'd like you. You're a very capable, sincere, and hardworking person. I was the one who placed the shackle on myself. It's obvious to me now that I'm still struggling with their deaths. However, I'll start learning to properly move on. ...Will you give me the chance to woo you?"

Eva's eyes were opened wide in shock. Her eyebrows slowly knitted together, her eyes looked troubled, and she bit her lower lip. After awhile, she picked up the pencil to write, "I won't stop you from doing what you want. You deserve the chance to move on from your parents death. But I'm really not as nice a person as you make me sound."

She paused for awhile more before she continued to write. "My heart's ugly."

"Why do you say that?" Austin probed gently but with a small frown. 

Eva looked at him sadly, contemplating whether to go on. Austin waited just as she had waited for him earlier. Finally, she returned to writing.

"Remember the family in my dreams that I told you about?"

"Of course."

"It was a particularly long dream. Long enough to dream up 18 years. No matter how hard I studied, how many times I tried, or how much time has passed, I could never achieve anything exceptional. Everything I achieved, my siblings could do so easily. If they really tried, they would excel at what they're talented in. Nonetheless, nobody begrudged me for being the only underachieving one in the family. In fact, they knew how inferior I felt and loved me even more, hoping to convey how much they really valued me in the family.

As nice as they were towards me, dark negative feelings eventually built up inside me. Jealousy, anger, frustration, and more. I felt it each time my siblings did something well, each time they easily reached my standards without trying half as hard as me. Sometimes, horrible thoughts would appear too. Why can't I be a part of some other more normal family? Do they really love me or do they simply pity me? Why can't they fail at something? Somewhere inside me, I wanted to see them fail at least once in something, so that they'd feel how I felt.

When I woke up from that dream, I actually felt no desire to return to them. A little relieved, even. Ironic that I'd try to recreate that family from my dream in real life, isn't it?"

Austin held her gaze as he spoke earnestly and softly. "Isn't that just proof of your real feelings?"

Eva's eyes widened slightly.

"Sure, those ugly feelings and disturbing thoughts came from you. But do they really represent who you are? Do they make up who you are? Anyone can have negative feelings and thoughts like that, but not everyone would reflect on them. Not everyone would feel bad about it. Not everyone would beat themselves up for it and bury those feelings and thoughts so deeply in their heart. Some people would not spare a second thought before acting on a whim. But you did not act on such feelings and thoughts even once. Am I wrong?"

Still feeling stunned, Eva could only afford to slowly shake her head.

"Some of those people who act with antagonistic reasons do not receive punishments or retribution. A good example is Saddie. Yet here you are, saying that you deserve to be punished even though you did nothing of those sorts? Do you realise how badly you're treating yourself now?"

Eva sadly looked down at the table. Even so... It doesn't excuse how ugly my heart really is... She still found it hard to forgive herself for even harbouring such feelings and thoughts. It simply felt wrong. She should not be this way.

As if Austin heard her unspoken and unwritten thoughts, he continued to speak. "You know... I'd bet that everyone has feelings and thoughts like that, no matter how nice a person is. What differs is which feelings and thoughts they choose to listen to and act on. Or do you mean to say that there were only negative thoughts and feelings you have about that family in your dreams?"

Eva looked up and vigorously shook her head. I love them! I do miss them!

Austin smiled at her reaction. "You have your answer. Hopefully, now you can properly judge for yourself what kind of person you are. Just as I will cast my own judgement of you, and how others will cast theirs. This is something you have to do by yourself. There is only so much others can do to change your mind if you firmly believe in something else, isn't it?"

Austin laughed lightly. "It's kind of audacious for me to say that since it's something I just learnt myself today..."

Eva smiled a little and shook her head. She then looked back down at her hands resting on the table, thinking about everything Austin said. The sad look on her face made Austin's heart hurt.

Unknowingly, he reached out to stroke her cheek with the back of his fingers. "Take your time. Let's slowly work towards our happiness, okay?"

Eva looked at his gentle smiling face. It felt so kind that it warmed her heart and brought tears to her eyes.

"Mm." Eva nodded and broke into the softest smile Austin has ever seen in his life. He could see the overwhelming relief and gratitude in her eyes. She looked so endearing right now that his hand froze against her cheek. 

Eva responded by closing her eyes and leaning into his hand. She sighed soundlessly. The warmth against her face felt very comfortable.

Austin's heart thumped wildly in his chest at the sight of her doing so and his gaze inadvertently traveled down her face to her lips. A second later, he abruptly stood up, almost knocking the chair over in the midst of doing so and surprising Eva. 

Her eyelids flew open and she stared at him with big round eyes.

He covered his lips with the side of his hand, attempting to hide the blush that was already creeping up his face. Feeling thankful for the dim lighting in the room, he coughed a little then spoke in a hurried tone. "Sorry for keeping you from your reading for so long. I know it was supposed to only be for awhile. I'll go now. Goodnight."

He flew out the door before Eva could even register what had happened. Eva continued to stare blankly at the closed door. Did he just... run away? From me? How sudden. I wonder why...

Unfortunately for Austin, Eva had thought nothing of her gesture and so remained oblivious about what it did to him.

BaoBao also could not understand why. Eva did not do anything to him this time. It had been such a sweet and peaceful moment before he bolted out. Austin's weird... Oh well! He was always funny. He giggled.

Back in his private study, Austin was taking deep breaths to calm his still frenzied heart. God... That was close.

When he found that he could not focus on his work anymore with his thoughts constantly drifting to Eva, he decided that he might as well turn in early for the night and bask in his daydreams of her. He fell asleep in a good mood, thinking that things were off on a good start.

On the other hand, Eva calmly completed her readings and brainstorming for the night before turning in, behaving like it was just any other normal night. The only difference to her was that it felt like a burden was lifted off of her heart. She could breathe easier and fall asleep faster. It was only now that she realised how much she had probably wanted to confide in someone.

7