chapter 2
91 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Could it be that something was going to start here, in this capital? Could that be of some significance to meeting this Song Young Master? Not just a simple repaying gratitude meeting? 

As they were clearly foreign to the country and bearing extraordinary presence, added with Xi Yunhe’s masked appearance itselfhis blue eyes were attracting a lot of attention. All their way to the Song Residence, people were looking at them. They remained unfazed all the way to the gates of the Song residence.

“Keep your guard up. Even if Momo is around, you should still be careful. The assassins from before might have accomplices.”

“Yes, brother,” Xu Ningyan replied docilely but Xi Yunhe did not trust him at all. He had dealt with both brothers his entire life and not once were they actually being serious when they pretended to be submissive.

“Halt.” The guards called out watching the foreigners approaching them. “State your identities and reason for being here.”

Xu Ningyan merely smiled as Yunhe took a step forward and bowed slightly at them. If anything, Xi Yunhe did not have to show them any courtesy at all due to their status differences but courtesy was important to the sect. So even if the other party was a mere commoner, they would still get their deserved respect. 

Xu Ningyan did not care. No matter who the other party was, even if he needed something from them, he would still not be willing to bow his head towards anyone.

“Yunwu Shi’s Xi Yunhe and Lord Yongning. I believe our Grandmaster has informed the lord of this house of our arrival,” Xi Yunhe spoke as he took out a jade with their sect logo on it. 

‘Yongning’ was a title that was conferred to him as a child as a sort of protection. 

As it was his mother’s title, most people would assume he was a girl and those in the knowing would never clarify anything. 

“Wait here,” The guard took it and passed it to a servant who quickly ran in and out after confirming the authenticity of their identities. The servant bowed deeply at Xi Yunhe as she returned the jade to him. He could not help but take a second look at the young man before returning to her station.

The guards quickly bowed apologetically at them and ushered them in. “Pardon our rudeness. There have been a lot of unwanted guests lately. So, it’s been really tense here. We’ll bring you to the Grandmaster right away. He’s currently at the garden with the old master. This way, please.”

Xu Ningyan followed Xi Yunhe in without a word as the servant guided them to the garden. What sort of unwanted guests? Guess he had to wait for Shi Su to return with interesting news.

As they stepped into the garden, they were greeted with floral fragrance. Flowers bushes grew on both sides of their paths and along a small pond with a small pavilion at the center of it. Sparrows flitted by, chirping happily as they flew. 

On the opposite side, a young man walked past and as he did he turned towards the garden and met eyes with Xu Ningyan. There was not much fluctuation in his expressions, so he might not have actually noticed him? He seemed to have mouthed something but he could not make sense of it as he gave him a courteous bow and left.

That must be the youngest young master of the Song Family those people had been talking about. He unblinkingly turned his gaze away, thinking not much of it. A servant hurried to them, exchanging words with their guide before running back to the two elderly figures under the pavilion, sipping their tea and chatting away.

The guide slowly made his way to the pavilion and left with a bow after announcing their arrival to the two elderly. Putting their hands together, Xi Yunhe and Xu Ningyan bowed at the elders. First at the Master of this house, and then the Grandmaster.

“Xi Yunhe of Yunwu Shi.”

“Xu Ningyan of Yunwu Shi.”

“Greetings to Old Master Song and Grandmaster,” they spoke simultaneously as they finished their greetings.

“Enough with the formalities, just call me grandfather. What’s that use of formalities with a bunch of old people like us, right, Old Qin?” Old Master Song was filled with smiles when he saw them. The Grandmaster, Shi Qin glanced at Xu Ningyan and harrumphed. Whether in agreement or otherwise was up to one’s interpretation.

The corner of Xu Ningyan’s lips curled. Why was his fit-as-a-fiddle grandfather, one that hated to be called old wearing the skin of an old man? His eyes squinted in malice but that expression flitted away as quickly as it came. 

“Young kids these days can’t be spoiled. I can rest easier if my grandkids are as filial as your Wenyue.” The fake old man, Old Qin gestured for them to come closer. 

“Xiao He, thanks for bringing this unruly kid back. Truly, the only sensible kid at my place,” Old Qin complained and then shifted his eyes to Xu Ningyan, looking up and down his attire.  

Old Qin frowned and ranted. “Our sect uniform is red, why do you insist on wearing black? How inauspicious! How on Somnus do you think you can find a good partner like this? And! If Xiao He never went and got you, would you even come?!”

To be honest, Shi Qin has summoned Xu Ningyan many times to follow him to Nancheng but as part of his unfeeling personality, he felt obliged to ignore him. If it were not for the fact that there was something interesting going on on the mountains in Nancheng, even if Xi Yunhe came for him, he would not even budge.

Knowing as much, his grandfather could not help but get angrier.

With his eyes curved in crescents, he smiled amicably. All the while he was chastising his attire, Xi Yunhe kept silent and smiled amiably at the elders. 

Xu Ningyan wondered how long his grandfather was going to keep this old disguise on. That person who was always by his side seemed to be missing at the moment.

Old Master Song beamed at them. “What are you saying?! They looked like good kids! They listened to you well. That boy of mine, I’ve been nagging at him for months and he still wouldn’t listen to his grandfather and settle down.”

“Looks like we have our fair share of troubles, Old Qin.”

Why are they acting like old friends when clearly this was their supposedly first time meeting each other? He squinted his eyes at them and lowered his gaze.   

“Grandfather,” A voice clear as the spring resounded, the sound of footsteps came closer. Xu Ningyan looked up. A young man dressed in white, green robe walked up to them. It was the young man he saw before. As their eyes met, he noticed how long his eyelashes were. His black hair was neatly swept up into a bun with a hair crown.

“Wenyue, look. Isn’t Old Qin’s granddaughter pretty? You’re both good kids so I’m sure you can get along with one another.” 

Xu Ningyan, feeling like it was his cue to present himself, clasped his hands together and bowed respectfully. “Young Master Song, thankyou for the kindness you have shown my grandfather. If you need any help in the future, this one will never turn you down.”

Song Wenyue returned the greeting. “Lord Yongning, you’re overexaggerating. I didn’t do much. In fact, I might have been a little out of line. The Grandmaster would have been able to take care of the situation even without my help.”

Xu Ningyan immediately refuted his statement. “Nonsense.” The fact that his grandfather was a capable man, that much, everyone knows. He had been in this field for his whole life, what is it that he had never encountered or seen? The fact that Song Wenyue could help her grandfather and gain his acknowledgement proved his capabilities as well. There was no need to be humble here, there were no exaggerations here. Only facts.

Though, it might be for a fact that this might all be something her unruly grandfather had planned.

Song Wenyue looked at him, surprised. There were not many young maidens that would speak in his presence, much less make a retort. Old Qin on the other hand, touched his beard thoughtfully and exchanged meaningful glances with Old Master Song.

“If grandfather could have taken care of it on his own, there wouldn’t be an opportunity for young master Song to do anything. So, don’t belittle yourself. This debt will be repaid.” His words may sound a little perfunctory but they sounded sincere enough to those present.  

His expression was a little cold, Song Wenyue could feel that there was hardly anything that Xu Ningyan would take seriously. Even so, he felt slight warmth from that iciness and he could not tear his gaze away from him. 

Even though he could tell it was a fake image, he could not help but feel a slight awe. He did not understand where that feeling came from, he just knew.

Other than that person, no other young lady could ever stun him this way as Xu Ningyan just did. Realising that he might have been a little rude, he averted his gaze with a frown.

“I understand. Then, I’ll certainly look for Lord Yongning for help in the future,” he replied graciously. Though, he did not really want to trouble him. Perhaps, he should come up with something to clear the debt off simply.

Old Master Song was beaming as he watched both of them interact. Even if there was a strange tension in the air, they looked like something out of a painting, standing close to each other. White and black, the colours contrasted one another. Old Qin was right; there was no truly better match than this. 

Song Wenyue glanced at his grandfather and held back a sigh. It was not that often that he looked so happy so he should not break his bubbles for no reason.

“Grandfather, you should let them rest. They had a long journey. I’ll take you back to your room too. It’s time for your medicine. Grandmaster Shi, Young Master Xi and Lord Yongning, this way please. The servants will come get you once dinner is ready,” he said with a smile. He then gestured to a servant who took the lead in guiding the guests to the rooms. Then he held his grandfather’s arm and walked him slowly back to his room.

Until they parted ways at the exit of the garden, Master Song kept observing his grandson’s expression the entire time. He got a little frustrated that his grandson’s face remained as poised as ever. His eyes calm like a spring lake. 

Who did he take after? His parents were not like this at all! Not a single thing could be concluded from his perfect looks! How hateful!

Not able to bear with his thoughts any longer, Master Song grabbed at Song Wenyue’s hand that was holding him with his free hand. With bright eyes that seemed to be betraying his age, he asked, “So, what do you think of her?” The corners of his eyes crinkled as he smiled.

Song Wenyue sighed, smiling dotingly at his grandfather who was coming of age. No matter, as long as he explained, his grandfather would understand. “Grandfather, I told you before. I am not looking to settle down, I still have things I want to do.”

Old Master Song beamed, “Isn’t that perfect? Let her join you, after all, whatever it is you want to do, it’s related to her world right?”

Song Wenyue shook his head. “I am not that helpless that I need to trouble someone that I just met.”

“I’m sure it won’t trouble her, after all. Plus, her resources are more plentiful than yours, you sure you don’t need her help? Aren’t you worried about your little friend from Baishan? Just right that she owes you a favour!” 

Old Master Song eyed his grandson, almost teasingly. “In any case, she would be in our care for a while, please show her our Song Family hospitality. Bring her to your mother, I’m sure she would love having another young lady in the house.”

The reason why Old Master Song was so excited was because it was the first time, from all the previous marriage candidates, he liked her the most. All the other candidates, no matter how much they tried to hide it, greed cannot be hidden from their eyes. How utterly hideous!

Most important of all, this was Song Wenyue’s fiancée!

Right from the moment they met, he really liked this young lady. He did not know her yet but they have all the time they need! 

Song Wenyue spoke helplessly, seeing how intent his grandfather was at wanting to match them together. “I am sure she would love the company. Please don’t have any strange thoughts about us coming together. It would look bad for her prospects.” 

Master Song’s eyebrows twitched and the frown on his face deepened. “Bad? You’re the best marriage candidate anyone could hope for?! Besides you are her–”

Song Wenyue gave his grandfather a helpless smile as he cut him off. “Grandfather. I’m not as great as you think I am… In any case, it’s impossible for us. It’s better to break off the engagement.” He reached out and massaged his grandfather’s shoulders, calming his nerves, in case the elder lashed out at him.

After all, besides that person, it was impossible for him to fall for anyone else. 

A servant took the lead as he led the guests to their rooms. They would all be staying at a middle-sized courtyard, the Red Zinnia Courtyard, in the northwest of the Song residence meant for guests with big families. The courtyards in the residence are named after flowers, which was a rather common thing in Ming Jing.

He glanced at Xu Ningyan and Xi Yunhe from time to time. He did not think he would ever see anyone as good-looking as them besides the Queen of their country.

Then again, the Queen was more of a delicate beauty that makes everyone want to protect her. Compared to her, these two were more… Although he felt weird comparing Mister Xi to a young lady, he could not find a better comparison otherwise, and that he could not even see what’s hidden behind that mask of his, he was convinced that his looks would not lose to Lord Yongning.  

Even though for some odd reasons, he felt compelled to call her handsome. Right, why was she even called Lord Yongning? Would ‘Lady Yongning’ fit better? He did not understand the cultivation world.

Xu Ningyan met eyes with the servant, knowing that he was looking at them, he gave him a smile and was about to talk to him when his grandfather spoke up first. And by then, he had totally forgotten about this matter. 

“So, what do you think of him?” While he tried suppressing the glee in his voice, it was clear as day what he wanted to talk about. Xi Yunhe’s brows twitched as he heard the question. 

“Bright, upright and humble. A rare amongst noblemen these days. Why are you asking that all of the sudden?” Xu Ningyan replied, acting oblivious. 

“Grandfather Qin! Tell me you didn’t!” Xi Yunhe, who thought he really did not know what he was planning to do, immediately shot back. There was no way he would agree to this. Not only would he be against this, all his brothers back at the sect would be against this.  

Yes, strangely despite his cold demeanour and rather alienating personality, his elders seemed to adore him. Perhaps, by the fortune of his mother who was a well-liked character and with how he had suffered before he was returned to the sect, everyone tended to be soft hearted towards this little demon.

“Brother Yunhe…? What’s wrong? Grandfather?” He blinked at Xi Yunhe in surprise, rather taken aback by his outburst.  

“He’s a good kid right? My eye for people is never wrong. It would be nice if you ended up with him, Xu Ningyan. A good kid like that is hard to find. A loyal, righteous man. He would never betray you…” Ignoring them, Shi Qin carried on, seemingly extremely proud of himself. 

Xu Ningyan blinked. Xi Yunhe’s frown deepened. 

Xu Ningyan’s eyes turned icy but in split seconds they blossomed as he broke into laughter.  

“I really came as a wedding candidate. Hahaha, Grandfather, what a joke.” He smiled but the smile never reached his eyes. Xi Yunhe, noticing the change in his mood, quickly took his hand in his. One must know, this little master, little demon of theirs, never had a good temper.  

“Don’t you think so, Brother Yunhe?” He asked, his smile deepened as he looked up at Xi Yunhe. It almost felt like the temperature fell sharply. Even the servant that followed their conversation shuddered. 

“But, he is a good kid. Give it a try, Yanyan,” Shi Qin’s aura completely overlooked the whole atmosphere. The servant bowed respectfully at them and showed them their rooms. 

With a certain young master’s face in mind and with a smile plastered on his face, he replied, “Maybe, Grandfather, maybe.”

“Try getting to know him and you’ll know I’m right. He’s perfect for you.”  

Shi Qin seemed really convinced of that fact. Xi Yunhe was still close to exploding while the party in question was unbothered, a little curious perhaps. That was why he decided to ask. 

“Is this something that’s already decided for?” 

Perfect? Whatever did he mean by that? Did he actually think a person with proper upbringing would be a right match for a monster? Did he hear him wrong? Yes, he must be growing deaf.

“Yes. In fact, there is an unbreakable bond between both of you,” Shi Qin replied cheerfully, wondering if this grandchild of his really understood the lengths he went through to find a child like Song Wenyue and make them meet.

“Sure, I’ll listen to you and try it out with that young master but if it doesn’t work out, please don’t talk about this anymore,” he was smiling and yet it did not look like he was. 

Xi Yunhe’s frown deepened as he heard his words. The only person Xu Ningyan would try his best to listen to was his eldest brother… Was he planning something? All a sudden he felt a little cold.

An unbreakable bond eh? Where did that old man find the chance to do something like that to him? It was fine even if they did not get together as long as they did not tie another bond with other people. But… if it was really like he said, if this Song Wenyue fell for someone, how would this grandfather of theirs take responsibility for that?

0