[Chapter 1] – Play Time
424 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A new report from the Aurora Institute sheds more light on the mysterious event that occurred at the dawn of the new millennia, on the first day of the year two thousand. A massive meteor that was set to collide with Earth was miraculously redirected, avoiding what could have been an apocalyptic collision. Scientists claim that there is a direct link between the mysterious near miss and the sudden emergence of supernatural powers in humans, animals and plants throughout the world. That day is now known as Powerfall-"

Angus pressed the volume button on the remote with some frustration before he noticed that its plastic frame was curved inwards, giving it an unusual, malformed shape. "Honey Boo, could you turn up the volume? I love these sort of documentary stories."

"It's not a story Dad, it's the nine o'clock news," Aidan said testily. He was frustrated with the fact that he was always forced to share a family meal every morning even as a teenager.

"What!? I'm going to be late for work! Ugh... oh well." Angus laughed awkwardly and continued to mind the TV.

"Would you like some more toast Honey Bear?" Mona stooped over and planted a wet kiss on Angus' forehead. Her frizzy, ginger hair was tied back in a motherly bun.

"How... can you be so careless with your job?" Aidan lamented, as he fingered his toast. It was burnt to a crisp and broke into ash whenever he took a bite. "Mom, did you make this?"

"Oh, sorry about that dear. Alana insisted on preparing your breakfast this morning, she has been prone to jealous fits ever since you attended Becca's shadow concert."

Pigtails flew up and settled on the table, while a pair of mismatched eyes looked up with gleeful trepidation. Her iris color seemed to change with her mood. It was now a curious bright green in her left eye and a cautious yellow in her right eye.

"D-do you like it brother? I made it for you." Her face was blessed with an angelic smile. Her rainbow-colored braces added even more luster to her already dazzling appearance.

"This is shit!" Aidan yelled. "How could you burn my toast like this huh!? Haven't you learned how to control your powers yet?"

"Aidan!" Mona bit her lip. "Don't talk to your sister like that. It took a lot of effort to make your breakfast. Can't you understand? She's only ten."

Aidan muffled a cry of anguish. "First of all: she's twelve! Second: what kind of twelve year old doesn't know how to make toast? And third: she's been cooking all my meals for a week now. I can't live off ashes! And what kind of mother are you huh!? Why can't you teach your damn daughter how to cook? How will she ever get married-"

"-I will m-marry you brother!" Alana chimed in. "Becca s-said you will get used to my c-cooking... in time."

Aidan palmed his forehead. "I'll never get used to it! Last night I had charred bones. And the night before that I ate a blackened lasagna. If this goes on, I'll whittle away into nothing!"

"Hold on son, the documentary is about to get to the best part."

Aidan spoke through gritted teeth. "I already told you Dad, it's the morning news-"

"-Many have begun to question the traditional Class System, that labels power levels according to strength and utility: Class 2, being the most powerful among the general population, often capable of toppling a small nation-state; Class 3, is a threat equivalent to a small militia; Class 4 ranges from a mere neighborhood nuisance to mildly dangerous if left uncontrolled; and lastly, Class 5, which isn't even worth mentioning. Some argue that Blockers, typically labelled Class 3, should be labelled Class 0, since they are the only ones capable of stopping a Class 2 power wielder by completely nullifying their abilities-"

"-You hear that Honey Boo! I'm finally getting the recognition I deserve. Class 0. Z-E-R-O. Isn't that cool?"

"They weren't talking about you specifically-" Aidan began.

"-Yes! You're super-duper cool, Honey Bear." Mona gave Angus another wet kiss, this time on the other cheek. His well-worn smile blossomed with sensual eagerness.

"Get a room you two!" Aiden chugged a glass of orange juice and forced down the burnt bread with gusto.

"Daddy. You are s-so cool," Alana cooed. "Big brother is too. I think you can als-so be a zero!" She nodded her head vigorously, agreeing with herself.

Aidan sighed. "We've been over this a hundred times Alana. I am powerless. I don't fit into any of the classes. I'm just a normal person. That's why you need to be gentle with me."

Alana's head continued to bob up and down. "Big brother is super powerful! But I promise to be gentle anyways!"

The sound of a crying infant pierced the air. Its origin came from a panda-shaped baby monitor that lay on the kitchen counter beside the dining area where the family had gathered to enjoy a light breakfast.

"Sweetie, why don't you go check on Ivy?" Mona asked. "You know she gets cranky when you don't see her for more than a day."

"I-I..." Aidan stammered as he struggled to find a way to excuse himself.

"Go and play with your baby sister!" Angus ordered, utilizing his rarely heard man-of-the-house voice.

"Fine!" Aidan slapped the table and then rushed off without another word. He climbed a set of stairs and stopped at the door of Ivy's room.

His heart was racing and his palms were sweaty. He took a deep breath and tugged the knob, sliding the door open.

Aidan tiptoed inside, surprised that his sister had already gone quiet.

The wallpaper was a blue canvas with a splashy rainbow and a prancing unicorn. In a corner, under a window, was his sister's crib, which was a large wooden pen with a miniature, paper galaxy hanging above it.

Ivy was dressed in a pink tutu with white stockings. She was roughly two years old and was, at the moment, levitating next to the window, which had been left open for some reason.

The baby girl appeared to be staring at something outside.

Aidan hesitated.

Every morning he had to suffer through the same routine. But today was different.

Ivy pointed past the lawn of their house and said, "Baga! Baga, baga!"

Given his experience with three younger siblings, Aidan was well-versed in baby talk, and knew that his sister meant to say, "There's a bad guy over there! A very bad guy!"

He suddenly thought of Rebecca's concert during her middle school talent show, and inadvertently whispered, "Must be that damn church again."

Ivy spun around. Her cute glare transformed into a delighted smile. She had tufts of fiery-red hair curled into a dozen ribbons and big, green eyes that seemed to glow whenever she was happy.

"Ada! Ada!? Ada!"

Aidan was fairly certain she was trying to say, "Aidan! Why did you take so long to come play with me!? I'm so happy you finally came!"

Aidan felt a gravitational force pull him upward. He floated in the air for a moment as Ivy giggled profusely. Then the force pushed him to the ceiling, flattening his lanky frame. He fought against the inexorable pressure and began to crawl and gradually near his sister.

Ivy's laughter reached a fever pitch. She pawed the air with her hand which sent Aidan careening to the left, where he smacked into the wall, his face an inch away from where the unicorn's buttocks were depicted.

His ribs ached and his back was bruised. Ignoring the pain, Aidan continued to crawl forward, his whole body plastered on the side of the bedroom wall.

Eventually, he got to his sister's crib. Once there, the artificial gravity lessened, so he fell down and landed on his hands and knees.

He knew that the game wasn't over yet, and made a dash towards his baby sister with outstretched arms.

She darted in midair, escaping his grasp. Undeterred, he continued to chase her around the room while she dodged his flailing hands, laughing merrily.

Half an hour later he was huffing and puffing from exhaustion, and stood on wobbly feet. He felt like his heart was on the verge of exploding. Ivy on the other hand still wanted to play, and was extremely upset by the fact that Aidan had given up the chase.

She scrunched the fingers of her tiny hand. Several of the yellow, paper stars that hung above her crib, flew towards Aidan. He ducked and dived out of harm's way. The paper shurikens cut his skin as they skid past his face and chest, and dug into the wall behind him.

"You monster!" he growled. His favorite t-shirt had a green, one-eyed martian drawn on the center. But now it had been sliced to pieces and was irreparably ruined. He was also bleeding from several places, but didn't seem to notice his own injuries.

Ivy laughed so hard, tears streamed down her cheeks. Aidan took that opportunity to grab her. He gave her a vicious smile and said, "I'm going to eat you!"

In response, Ivy giggled some more, and only stopped when she was too tired to continue playing. She shut her eyes as Aidan cradled her in his arms and swung her gently from side to side until she fell asleep.

His mother, Mona, walked in a few minutes later and took hold of his sister to change her diapers. Aidan stood passively to the side, mourning the loss of his beloved t-shirt.

"Mom," he moaned. "She ruined my t-shirt! And she tried to kill me again!"

"C'mon sweetie, when will you ever get tired of that joke? And please keep your voice down. You know Ivy is a light sleeper. She's been on edge ever since Becca's fans have been coming by to cheer her on the streets."

Aidan was shocked by her words. "Mom, you can't be serious!? The Nilotic Church thinks she's a witch and want her burned at the stake!"

Mona cupped her hands around his temples. A surge of power flooded Aidan's body, knitting his wounds, healing him in an instant. However, the slash on the right side of his face had left a terrible scar. "Don't be silly dear. Becca is an angel. Everyone loves her. I'm sure you simply misunderstood their intentions because they were chanting in Latin. Anyway, remind me to take you to a clinic on the weekend. If only I was a second class healer, then I'd get rid of that scar myself-."

"They threw acid on her face!"

"It was only water sweetie. Becca is just using this as an excuse to not go to school because I told her you're transferring for your senior year." She walked to the door of the room and said in passing, "I need to drive your father to work. A fat- I mean, horizontally-challenged man with wings fell on his car yesterday and it's still at the impound. Be sure to take Becca to school today. Oh, and don't forget, you have to go for your school placement interview at twelve. The instructor will come and pick you up. He's a friend of your dad's, so be nice!"

When she left, Aidan trudged towards his sister's crib to watch over her sleeping form. Her soft wheezing made her seem harmless, and melted some of the anxiety that had nestled into his heart.

He gave voice to his thoughts. "Don't worry. Even if our parents are clueless, you still have me to protect you. I won't let anyone find out you're a first class power wielder."

5