Chapter 1: A start surrounded by death
343 8 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Thanks to SH discord members for helping me with the numerous mistakes.

 

PROCESSING…

 

A bright floating window emerged from the pure darkness. 

 

PROCESSING COMPLETE, INITIALIZING Ver. 1.918 CryoRay System.

 

BOOTING UP...

 

WELCOME.

 

Various windows quickly transitioned in front of my vision. I stared at them in a stupor, not understanding as to what was going on. A sharp twinge of pain had spread throughout my body. Starting from the head, the feeling transferred through my torso, limbs, and finally ending at the tips of my fingers. My senses felt reinvigorated as the process continued.

 

It was a feeling of waking up from a deep slumber through electrocution. I stretched my muscles, but something felt missing… My left arm didn’t act as smoothly as I expected it to. It moved more… mechanically.

 

I wasn’t sure as to what had been going on. I tried to recall as to what had exactly happened last night, but I came to a despairing realization. I couldn’t recall anything about myself.

 

Activating Visual Systems… complete

Activating Auditory Systems… complete

Activating Olfactory Systems… complete

Activating Gustatory Systems… complete

Activating Tactile Systems… complete

 

Booting memory sequence...

 

Another wave of pain had hit my body. This time it was more intense. I squirmed in agony as the pain coursed through my limbs again as if they were on fire. Each cell in my body screamed. No words could describe the pain I felt.

 

A sudden strong rotting smell assaults my nostrils. It felt as if my nose was burning. My eyes instantly widened at the sudden subjection to that scent. I looked around to take a glance, only to be more surprised by the view in front.

 

The scene which laid before me had been a morbid one. Piles upon piles of corpses, making formations of small hills. It was a sight so gruesome that I had felt my stomach churn. The roof and the walls which surrounded me were obsidian black, it gave off a faint blue light over the whole area. A wave of despair descended over me.

 

What sort of a disaster had I managed to get myself involved in?

 

I had tried to contemplate again. This time, the process had been much more seamless. As I tried to recollect my memory, I realized something very odd. Why did the memories feel so foreign to me? A growing sense of trepidation overwhelmed my body. I instantly tried to analyze my figure. Smooth white skin with bruises all over them, my whole body was smaller than what I was used to.

 

At a closer inspection, all of the corpses were those of young children quite similar to my physique. Anyone would have had a hard time discerning us from each other, save for the varying light tones of hair colour. The feeling of astonishment deepens, just what the hell was going on right now?

 

These memories felt completely foreign as if they weren’t mine. They were surely this child’s memories, but what had happened to my real memories? I tried to ruminate, why wasn’t I able to remember anything about myself? I could remember irrelevant things such as what is a dog, a house, ranging from various terms such as gaming or surfing on the net to even carry out basic arithmetics. But for some reason, I couldn’t recall anything related to me.

 

It was as if I had lost my identity, nothing made sense to me anymore. At the very least, I had figured out that this body wasn’t mine, it was most probable that I had ended up possessing this kid.

 

I started going through the memories one by one, right from the beginning. Remembering someone else’s experiences had been a bizarre feeling, but I gradually got used to it. As I went through the contents, I finally started to get some answers.

 

This kid was a nameless child who had been sold to the company “CryoRay” by his parents at a very young age. Similar to these piles of corpses, he had been subjected to try out various bionics and cybernetics. It seemed that my left hand and left eye had been replaced with bionics too.

 

Most of the test subjects had missing body parts replaced with basic bionics. The treatment given to them was quite cruel, not any better than factory-farmed chickens. Once these products had been used, the children that weren’t able to handle the treatment had to be disposed of.

 

It was possible that they have mistakenly left me here or perhaps this body had reawakened when my consciousness entered it. I was certain now that this wasn’t my world, there were just too many inconsistencies in both memories for that to be possible. Whatever would’ve been the case, this would prove to be a good opportunity for me, my supposed death was now a ticket to escape from their grasps.

 

I stopped focusing on myself for the time being and tried to discern my surroundings, my survival was of utmost importance right now, I needed to quickly understand the situation to increase my odds at survival.

 

I had been a bit late in realizing this, but it seemed I was also laying on those mountains of corpses, unwilling to be near the disgusting rotting flesh anymore I had quickly leapt off of it. The pain in my body wasn’t something I was very used to.

 

This kid severely lacked in knowledge since he had been living inside of a factory his entire life. There wasn’t much useful knowledge about the outside world.

 

If I had managed to get out of here, I would still be under a severe disadvantage, mainly due to the lack of understanding of how this world functions. I needed to gain more knowledge from here somehow…

 

After I had reached a place clear of the corpses or the repugnant smell, I continued surfing through my thoughts. Behind my head was a small socket which allowed for system assisted chip implants. This system assistance seemed to be something which helped analyze the state of all my bodily functions. 

 

Without further ado, I activated the chip.

 

“Engage.”

 

____________________________

Name: <null>

Stage: 0

Mana: 100

Attribution:

Stats: Strength 2    Endurance 2    Control 3    Dexterity 3

 

State: 

Mk 1 Training Arm Bionic (Damaged) [CryoRay]

Mk 1 Training Eye [CryoRay]

 

Abilities:

____________________________

 

Wait, did the panel just say mana?

14