Chapter 4: Jude Craven
735 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Huh, that’s weird. I don’t remember my ceiling being a white color. If I’m remembering correctly, it should be a tannish color. Oww, why does my body hurt so much?

I raised my body from the bed and looked around the room, and I was correct. This isn’t my apartment. There were six beds with two of them being occupied. That girl from the bus is sleeping in one of them while I’m in another. Looking closer there was another person in the room. He’s sitting down while holding onto his knees. I remember him, it’s large calves guy.

“Hey, where are we right now?”

“Huh.”

He looked pretty tired and out of it. It seems that while I was asleep, he barely had any sleep. Why was he huddled in the corner though?

“Oh, so it was all real. Shit, why couldn’t it have just been a nightmare.”

What’s he muttering to himself about. Man, my schedule is all messed up now. The first thing I have to do is reset set my schedule then it’ll all be fine. I’ll just go about my life how it’s always been: wake up, shower, eat breakfast, go to school, take the bus home, eat dinner, do my homework, and finally sleep.

“Hey calves guy, where are we right now.”

“Is that me?”

“Yep.”

“My name’s Tod Gudo.”

“Alright, nice to meet you Tod Gudo. My name’s Jude Craven. So where are we right now?”

“Nice to meet you, Jude. I don’t know if you remember, but the bus we were on crashed into a prison. You and that girl have been asleep for the past 3 hours.

“A prison?”

“Yeah, right now we are in a prison, but something freaky is going on in this prison. Ever since I brought you guys here, the prison has been eerily quiet. But the weirdest thing is that every once in a while, a dreadful scream echoes throughout the prison.”

So 3 hours have already passed by since we encountered that angel and demon. And now we’re in some creepy prison? Yep, there goes my normal schedule. I know I was complaining about how my normal life was boring, but why did my life have to become this crazy so fast. Well, I can’t do anything about it now. All I can do is try and escape this prison then go home.

“Have you gone out and see if there were any guards around. Oh, and what happened to that angel and demon that were on the bus.”

“I haven’t gone out of the room since I brought you guys in here. And that demon or that old man was already gone by the time I woke up from the crash. I’m not sure what you mean by angel though.”

I guess he didn’t manage to see that angel then. Hmm, there’s not much information regarding our situation, but our priority should be escaping this prison. Tod said that he heard screaming within the prison, so we can’t say that it’s a hundred percent safe in here.

“Tod how did you get inside the prison. Was there a door or something you came in from.”

“Yeah, if you stay on the path on the right and in a few minutes you’ll reach the door I came through. Should we escape from the prison?”

“Yeah, I don’t think staying in the prison is a safe option for us. Whether it be inmates or monsters, the prison isn’t safe. We should escape from here and report this incident to the authorities.”

“Monsters, what do you mean monsters?”

“Well, if that old man turned into a demon, and there was an angel outside of the bus. We can’t rule out that there are more monsters like them.”

“No, wasn’t that old creep just on some kind of drugs or something.”

“I don’t think there’s any kind of drugs out there that will make you grow twice your height, make your skin turn pitch black, or grow horns. All I can conclude is that that old man was a demon.”

“It can’t be though. Demons are fake, they only exist in books and movies. They aren’t real. It has to have been some sort of drugs.”

“You can believe what you want, but I’m going to stick with what I believe in.”

Now that our plan is to escape, how are we going to do it? We can immediately head to the exit right now with one of us carrying that girl, but that’s risky. What if we run into an inmate, or worse, a monster. I don’t think a single person can handle them, two might not even be enough, but it’ll be safer.

We need weapons to defend ourselves. If we come across an inmate or monster, a weapon will increase our odds of escaping.

I checked the entire room, but all I could find were a few surgical knives, a pair of scissors, and a mop. The knives and scissors can obviously be used to stab while the mop could be used as a makeshift spear. If I can just break off the head of the mop, then I could sharpen the wooden edge. And that stool office chair can also be used as a shield if need be. Since it doesn’t have a backrest, it shouldn’t be too heavy, and it’ll be even lighter if I take off the wheels.

“Hey, Jude. What have you been doing?”

Oh, right. I haven’t told Tod our plan of action yet.

“I’ve been making some weapons to protect ourselves. Since we’re going to escape, I wanted us to have weapons to protect ourselves. We don’t know when an inmate or monster might show up. so it’s better to be safe than sorry.”

“O-ok.”

I wonder if he has more to say. He’s been staring at me for a while and hesitating to talk. If you want to say something, then say it.

“Is there something else you want to talk about, Tod?”

“Oh, haha. I guess you saw through me.”

“Well, you have been fidgeting and staring at me for the past 10 minutes.”

“Haah, sorry about that Jude. I’m not trying to be weird or anything. I’m just surprised at how calm you are. When I first brought you guys here, I didn’t even think about finding weapons to protect us. All I did was sit in the corner and think about whether the police are going to come to help us. I’m just a weak-minded person, unlike you.”

“I don’t particularly think I’m a strong-minded person, you know. I just have my priorities in order. How are we going to escape? What can I do to make our escape easier? What if there are enemies? I’m just thinking about the various possibilities that could occur when we escape. If we’re a boat full of holes, then I want to do whatever I can to plug those holes. If that’s what you consider a strong-minded person, then I think you’re one too. You could have just left me and that girl on the bus and run away yourself, but you didn’t. When you decided to burden yourself with us, you chose to enter the prison because we needed medical supplies. When you finally brought us here, you decided to block the windows because there was a chance of someone seeing us through the window. Then you waited for one of us to wake up before considering what to do next. I think this was a smart choice because humans are weak alone. You needed the support of an extra person before coming to a conclusion about the situation.”

“I-I...Thank you.”

“I’m just stating the facts. Ok, I’m all done now.”

“Are you done making the weapons.”

“Yeah. Let’s begin the first phase of the plan.”

……

“Are you ready.”

“Yes.”

“Ok, let’s go.”

I slowly open the door and cautiously open the door. I looked left and right, but the hallway was dark. I could barely see where I was going and the only source of light was off in the distance. Our goal right now is to check whether the door is locked or not. If it is, then we have to come up with other plans. If it isn’t, then when that girl wakes up, we can escape immediately.

Currently, I am equipped with the stool chair shield in my left hand and a pair of scissors in my right hand. Tod, who is walking a little bit behind me, is equipped with the makeshift spear. If we are attacked then the plan is for me to block the enemy while Tod comes around to stab them. I’m not sure if Tod has what it takes to stab someone, but I’ll deal with it when the time comes.

At the moment, we are both slowly walking towards the door. Tod said that every hour, he would hear footsteps and the sound of something being dragged in the area. The last time Tod heard that sound was 30 minutes ago, so the plan is to quickly check the door then get back to the room.

“Are we there yet.”

“It should be up ahead.”

We talked in whispers as we continued to walk. I didn’t know what that smell was, but the more we walked, the stronger it got.

We approached another dimly lit ceiling light, and I could faintly see an outline of a door. That was our objective.

“Is that the door, Tod.”

“Yeah, it should be.”

What is this feeling? My shoes are becoming slippery. I don’t know what I stepped in, but my shoes were losing grip.

“Be careful Tod. The ground’s slippery around here.

“Ok.”

We were now under the dimly lit light. I finally figured out what that stench was and what made the ground so slippery.

“I-is this blood?”

Tod spoke in shock and I couldn’t blame him. The whole area was splattered in blood. There was blood on the ground, the walls, and even the ceiling. From the pattern of the blood-splattered, it looked like someone was picked up and slammed against every surface.

My heart was racing. It was racing just as hard as when I was in front of that demon. This blood splatter wasn’t the work of a human. Some kind of monster killed a person here.

*Thump *Thump *Thump

16