Chapter 7: Second Encounter
567 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who’s Tod?”

“It’s that guy sleeping over there. Wake him up.”

We have to hurry. I’m not sure of the layout of the prison, but I do know that we’re in a dead-end. Sooner or later that monster will have us cornered. We need to leave before that happens.

“Hey Fifi, do you think you have enough power to blast through a door.”

“No, my magic wouldn’t even make a dent on a metal door right now.”

“What about Mako. Does she have enough power.”

“I don’t think so. Looking at her right now, her mana is half gone. Using another fireball like earlier would leave her incapacitated.”

I continue to tear down our barricade. It was so helpful for keeping out people, but now it's also good for keeping us inside.

“What’s going on Jude?”

“The situation has changed. We have to immediately get out of here. That monster heard us and is probably coming here. Help me tear down the barricade.”

“O-ok. Wait, how are we going to escape?”

“I can’t go into detail since we’re running out of time, but that fairy over there found us a way to escape. The only problem is that the escape route is on the other side of the prison.”

While I briefly explained the situation to Tod, the barricade was torn down. All we had to do was leave through the door. The nurse’s office has been our haven for quite a while, but now it can’t be anymore.

“Ok. I trust you.”

“Thanks. Now get into formation. Mako, stay in the back and use your fireball magic if you think one of us is in danger. Tod, we’ll go with our earlier formation. I’ll block and you attack. And remember, do not hesitate to attack.”

I opened the door once again, and it was still very hard to see. The hallway was too dark, but I can tell that the ground was splattered with blood. The stench was invading my nostrils.

“What’s that smell.”

“Don’t mind it, Mako. Just focus on your role for now. Fifi can you still use magic.”

“Of course, unlike you humans, even at my weakest state I have more mana than you. I still got plenty to use.”

“Alright.”

I went back inside the room and tear off one of the bedsheets that were used as a curtain. I rolled it up and wrapped duct tape at the base of it.

“Can you light this up, Fifi.”

“Sure.”

Fifi cast fire and the bedsheet was now burning. It wouldn’t last long, but a temporary torch was better than nothing.

“Fifi, how good is your eyesight in the dark.”

“Pretty good if I do say so myself.”

“Good, then can you go ahead and scout the area.”

“Ehh, I don’t want too.”

“Please, if I die then you won’t have anymore hero’s blood.”

“Ok.Ok. But you have to give me two drops next week.”

“Alright, stay safe.”

Fifi flew off in the dark hallway. It didn’t take long for her to disappear from my sight. I look back and could see the two’s worried faces. Tod knows the horror of that monster, so it must be frightening knowing that we’re going towards it. Mako is probably confused about the entire situation. I didn’t have time to explain to her about the bus crash, the angel and demon, the prison, or the monster within the prison.

“Are you both ready. Don’t waste your energy while we go through the hallway. Just lightly jog and save enough energy to deal with that monster.”

“Y-yeah.”

“Yes.”

“Alright let’s get going then. Our current plan is to escape from this prison. I’ll explain to you the details while we leave this area.”

I took the lead in front as we all started jogging through the dark hallway. The makeshift torch made seeing what’s in front of us easier. Once again, the amount of blood splatters in the hallway had grown. The blood splatters had increased, but I still didn’t see any traces of organs or bones anywhere. Only the blood splatters were left.

“I’m sure you’re confused Mako, so I’ll briefly explain the situation. The bus we were on crashed into a prison field. While you and I were unconscious, Tod brought us into the nurse’s office so he could treat our wounds. Since then, you’ve been asleep for about 5 hours. Currently, there is some sort of monster within the prison that has been frequently killing the inmates for fun. If we don’t want to become like them then we have to escape. Earlier we were a little bit too rowdy, so that monster heard us. That’s why we have to urgently leave.”

“S-so it’s my fault.”

I could hear the guilt within her voice. It was her fault that we were exposed, but I can’t blame her. It was my fault for not explaining the entire situation to her. All we can do is think about the future since there’s no point in crying over spilled milk.

“Yes, but I won’t blame you. Who wouldn’t be excited about learning how to use magic, and back then you didn’t know our circumstances.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Tod, all this mumbo jumbo about magic also deals with that fairy earlier. That fairy suddenly showed up in our room and guaranteed our escape if I made a contract with it. That is how I know about this new escape route. The new escape route consists of leaving through the guard room. When we reach the prison cell area, go up a flight of stairs and go to the rightmost area. That is where you will find the guard room.”

“What if that guard room is locked, how are we going to get out.”

I already thought of this as a possibility and had a plan to deal with it. It isn’t the safest plan, but it’ll get the job done.

“If it is lock then I have a plan for that. It’s risky but I’m going to lure that monster into breaking the guard door. If it can easily tear through a human body, then it should be able to tear through a steel door.”

Since we were steadily jogging instead of walking, we had already passed the other exit door. It was strange, my heartbeat was strangely calm. My heart is pumping quite intensely, but instead of it hurting, it feels like I’m gaining energy. When was the last time I felt this kind of sensation? It doesn’t feel too bad.

“Jude!!! Jude!!! You have to hurry, that monster is on the 3rd floor right now. I think it was on the 4th floor and it's slowly making its way down the floors while checking the inmates.”

“Thanks, Fifi. I’ll give you three drops of blood next week.”

“Really!!”

The timing of our escape is going to be tight. We have to make it to the corner of the second floor before that monster comes down.

“Don’t worry. We got this.”

I don’t know if this cheered up Tod or Mako, but I needed them to be in their best conditions. If they are too nervous then errors are prone to show up.

It didn’t take long for us to finally see an opening to the right side of the hall. Unlike the dark hallway, there was light shining through the opening. This is where the battle is going to take place. Either we escape from the prison, or we die. I throw away the makeshift torch before beginning to explain our plan of action.

“Once we take that corner, immediately run up the stairs and rush for the guard room. And this time you don’t have to hold back. Run as fast as you can.”

“Alright.”

“Got it.”

“Here we go. RUNNN!!!!!!”

We all turn the corner and begin running towards the stairs that were in front of us. Before we even got to the stairs, the entire situation changed. A sudden crash was suddenly heard from the stairs we were running for.

“Fuck, scatter. Run towards the stairs on the other side.”

That monster had jumped from the third floor onto the second floor and blocked the path up the stairs. It was the first time I’ve truly seen it, but it was grotesque. It was wearing a police officer uniform and it had the ugliest grin on its face. Its smile went from one ear to the other like it had been plastered on.

Its entire body was out of proportion. From the elbow down, it was large and muscular with large veins popping out. On each hand were three large stumpy fingers. Its legs were in a similar condition. From the knee down, it was just a mass of muscle resembling an elephant's legs. That wasn’t even the weirdest part about its body. Besides those areas, it was basically just skin on bones.

“KYAAAALALALALA!!!”

“Go! Go! Go!”

We were all shocked at the sight of this grotesque monster, but I was the first one to recover. We still needed to escape from this hell hole.

I gave out an order and we all began running towards the other side of the prison. About 200 meters away was another set of staircases that led up to the second floor, and this one was closer to the guard room.

I ran to the left with Mako, while Tod ran on the right side. After a few seconds, a large thud could be heard. I briefly looked back and could see that the monster was now on the same floor as us.

It began to chase after us on all fours. How can it run so fast with those stumpy limbs? It wasn’t running towards Mako or me, it was heading towards Tod.

“Tod!! Keep running, it’s right behind you. RUUNNNN!!!!”

13