Chapter 56: Sparring(Part 2)
144 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Do we really have to fight?”

“Yeah, it doesn’t seem like that red-haired guy is going to calm down if we don’t fight. It’ll be fine, Jill, I’ll protect you.”

“Thanks, Gorou.”

‘Ooo, I can’t wait. I’ve been dying to try and fight people with special abilities.’

(Mei 3 was pumped up to fight but I’m going to have to disappoint her.)

Can you let me fight this battle myself?

‘O-oh, you’re going to fight?’

Yeah, I feel like I’ve been useless lately. All the fighting has been left to you and Mei 2 while all I did was sit in the back.

‘That’s not true. You’ve been a great help to me and Mei 2.’

Hehe, thanks.

(It’s true that I’ve been feeling useless lately but there’s another problem that I’ve noticed about us. Before the world went into chaos, we’ve never had one of our conscious been asleep for so long. One day Mei 2 and Mei 3 might be unconscious so it’s up to me to protect us.)

(It’s been a long time since I’ve fought but that doesn’t mean I don’t know how to fight. Although Mei 3 is the best fighter out of the three of us, both Mei 2 and I have been training with her within the White Room so we know how to fight. Besides Mei 3 training us how to fight, Mei 2 also taught us how to use magic. Mei 2 is the most proficient while Mei 3 still hasn’t quite got a grasp on it yet.)

(This sparring match is the best place to test my abilities to control magic and how well I can handle myself in a real fight. I've been depending on Mei 3 too much to fight our battles.)

“Jill, Gorou, can we talk for a bit.”

“Yeah, what’s up.”

“I think we should restrain ourselves from using all of our magic.”

“You mean we shouldn’t show all of our cards.”

(Gorou was quick to understand what I meant. I explained to both of them that we should restrain ourselves to only using one type of magic so we don’t get the attention of the government. Maybe I’ve been affected by Mei 2’s way of thinking but I doubt the government would leave us alone after finding out that we can use multiple types of magic.)

“Haha, that’s fine with me. I can only use healing magic anyways.”

“Earth magic is my specialty so I’ll use that.”

“Good, I’ll be using wind magic.”

(A few minutes had already passed by and the other team was going over their plans.)

“Alright, let’s go over our plans again. We don’t know our enemy’s abilities so proceed with caution. Considering our team composition, I’m sure that they are going to try and take out Jill and me first since we look the weakest.”

“Should I stay behind to protect you guys then?”

“No, Jill and I will handle the opponent they send for us while you attack their other teammates. You’re going to be our bait so we can figure out their abilities. I’ll be carefully observing so once I get a grasp on their skills we’ll fight together as a team.”

“Ok.”

(It might be heartless of me to send Gorou out as bait but it’s the best method to figure out our opponents’ skills.)

“Get into positions. We’ll allow some injuries but please do not aim for anything lethal. If we see any of that then your team will automatically lose.”

(Our team got into position and so did our opponents. I don’t think we’re going to lose because I trust in my teammates. Gorou has the most experience fighting out of all of us and Jill has the ability to quickly adapt to any situation. The only variable that can make us lose is our opponent’s abilities.)

“Ready, fight!”

“Hahaha, I’ll show you why they call me the Steel Porcupine!”

(Ken charges straight towards Gorou while taking off his piercings. It was unnatural that his teammates didn’t follow him. Instead, Rachel’s left hand was on CZ’s shoulder and she was intently concentrating on something. She must be activating her ability through contact with CZ.)

“What, are all those muscles just for show. I guess you’re just a big coward.”

(Ken waits for a reaction from Gorou but not getting the reaction he wanted, he dashed for Jill. Behind Ken’s body was a floating eyeball that was staring straight at Gorou. I tried to warn him but it was too late.)

“Jill, don’t look at the floating eye.”

(It must have some sort of stunning ability as Gorou’s body became stiff. Suddenly Ken throws the piercings within his hands at Jill which had turned into needles. He must be underestimating Jill because he didn’t even look if Jill was taken out by his needles before charging at me.)

‘What an idiot.’

(Jill easily blocked the needles as Ken charges towards me. He ignored his teammate’s warning as he got closer to me. Looking closer, his uniform was slightly different from Rachel or CZ, it seemed to be more metallic than the others.)

“Now, Jill!”

(I’m slightly worried about his uniform but I’ll finish it right here. Ken lost his balance due to Jill causing the ground to become uneven with her magic. I tried to finish him off with a knee to the face but he was able to block it.)

Damn, not enough power.

(Ken continues to charge at me and we begin to engage in a fistfight. He wasn’t as strong as Mei 3 so I was able to block and counterattack. I was worried about him using his ability but it didn’t seem like he had any intention to use it. He must be underestimating me.)

Fine, I’ll use this chance to train myself.

(I use wind magic and began to increase the speed of my attacks. My fists and kicks might not be as strong as Mei 3 but I’ll make up that difference with speed. Eventually Ken wasn’t able to keep up with me anymore.)

“Ken, you idiot! Show them why we call you a porcupine.”

‘Why would you announce something like that!? It’s practically telling your enemy that your teammate is up to something.’

“Time for round 2.”

(Hearing Mei 3’s criticism, I push Ken away as the metals on his uniform jut out like sharp blades. It would have been dangerous if I stayed closer.)

“You seem to be forgetting but this is a team battle. Go ahead, Jill!”

(A pillar of dirt emerges from the ground and sends Ken flying away.)

“Let’s go, Jill. We need to take out CZ.”

(The two of us rush towards CZ and Rachel as Gorou was still stunned. The floating eye was now within CZ’s arms so if we want to free Gorou we have to deal with her.)

“Ken, you idiot! CZ keep your eye on the big guy.”

(The two of them rush towards Jill. Rachel must have realized that Jill can’t fight and that her magic takes some time to use. I rush to Jill’s aid but I wasn’t going to make it in time even with wind magic.)

(Jill’s hands were on the ground and she was able to activate her magic which shot a pillar of dirt towards Rachel. Unlike Ken, Rachel was able to dodge it because she had seen Jill used this move before. She had the ability to adapt to the situation.)

“Jill, get back!”

“I won’t let you, CZ!”

(Jill tried to escape but CZ throws the eyeball towards her. Shocked by the sight, Jill stared straight at the eyeball and was stunned. At that moment, Rachel tackled Jill and placed both of her hands on her.)

“Ah, I can finally move.”

“Gorou, get ready, we need to finish this.”

(Rachel got off of Jill and it seemed like Jill wouldn’t be able to continue anymore. Her face was white and she was breathing roughly. Unlike Jill, Rachel seemed to be beaming with energy. Once again she put her hands on CZ and the energy seemed to transfer over. The eyeball in the air grew a second pupil.)

“Gorou, throw me towards the eyeball.”

“O-ok.”

(Gorou was still out of it but he followed my commands and tossed me towards the eyeball. Calculating the distance and strength of Gorou’s throw, I should hit it straight on. I boost myself with wind magic prepare myself to dive kick the eyeball. This way I didn’t have to make eye contact with the eyeball.)

“I won’t let you get to CZ.”

(Rachel rushes up the dirt pillar with incredible speed before jumping off and tackling me out of the air. Her arms wrapped around my body and I could feel the energy being drained out of me. It was quite an uncomfortable feeling.)

“It’s our win.”

(Rachel had fallen for my trap. If she had stayed with CZ and protected her it would have been difficult for us to win but she left her by herself. As both of us fell down, we could see that Gorou had already restrained CZ and her eyeball. Without the support of the CZ or Ken, Rachel had no other choice but to give up against Gorou. It was quite the close battle and it would have been tougher if Ken had worked with Rachel and CZ from the beginning.)

|......|

“How was it, Ken? Do you think they’re still weak?”

“N-no, but I’ll get stronger and beat them next time.”

“It’s fine to have some competition but remember that these are going to be your new teammates.”

William was talking to Ken who was still laying on the ground. The battle had just ended with our win. It was quite an amazing battle. Mako and Jill were still able to work together even though Gorou was stunned and Rachel and CZ were also still able to work together when Ken was incapacitated. Both sides had strong teamwork.

“How was it, Jude?”

“It was amazing.”

“Good, tell me what you would have done if you were fighting them by yourself.”

“I think I would try to eliminate Rachel first.”

“Oh, why?”

“She seemed the most dangerous out of the three. If her ability is to drain the energy of her enemies and give it to her allies then the battle would become harder as time passes by. But eliminating her by myself would be difficult. Ken’s fighting ability is above mine and the sharp blades from his body would make it difficult to attack him. I could try to use magic against him but CZ’s eyeball could stun me in that second that I cast magic. Rachel would then have the chance to drain my energy which would make the battle harder.”

“Hehe, good observation. Now let’s go congratulate them.”

Is this what Fifi wanted to show me? To show me that there are some enemies that I can’t defeat by myself. If I was working with Gorou, Jill, and Mako, the fight against Ken’s team would definitely be easier.

“Good job, Mako, Gorou, and Jill.”

“Was I cool, Jude?”

“Haah, I’m sorry that I was just a burden.”

“Thank you, Jude. Gorou, you weren’t a burden.”

Mako clung on to me and seemed to be in a good mood while Gorou and Jill were down. Gorou and Jill were down because, throughout the spar, Mako had done most of the work.

“Can you heal everyone, Gorou.”

“Ok.”

William asked Gorou and he went around healing the injuries of both teams. Ken, Rachel, and CZ were all shocked to see that their injuries were fading away like they weren’t there in the first place.

“Sorry about calling you a big coward.”

“It’s fine. You were just doing that to distract me which worked.”

“Still, I’m sorry.”

“Hahaha, it’s fine.”

Ken and Gorou seemed to get along. I looked around to find Mako because I wanted to ask her why she only used wind magic. She was talking with Willliam about something but it seemed like she was done talking.

“Jude, can we talk for a bit.”

“Ok.”

Mako explained to me that she wanted me to only use one type of magic because she didn’t want us to gain too much attention from the government. It seemed like she already explained this to Gorou, Jill, and William. Neither Fifi or I saw a problem with this so we quickly agreed with it. The only warning Fifi told me was that I shouldn’t neglect my training with other types of magic.

“Alright, let’s all formally introduce ourselves. I’ll go first. My name is William Bik and I don’t have an ability.”

“My name is Gareth Mulson and my ability is that I have good vision.”

“My name is Ken Dose and my ability is to turn any metal into a sharp object.”

“I’m Rachel Falls and my ability is to drain or energize anyone I’m touching.”

“...”

“Oh, the quiet one is Seazee Ritiscul, but we just call her CZ. Her ability allows her to have a third eye which stuns whoever stares into it.”

All of their abilities seemed easy to understand besides Gareth’s. It didn’t seem like he was going to go into more detail like the others. Now it was our turn to introduce ourselves.

“My name is Gorou Gorildo and my ability lets me heal injuries.”

“I’m Jill Getense and I can control the earth.”

“Nice to meet everyone, my name is Mako Mei and I have the ability to control the wind.”

“I’m Jude Craven and I have the ability to control fire.”

We finished our introductions but when I introduced myself, I could feel Ken glaring daggers at me. He was fine with everyone else but it seems like he still didn’t like me which I didn’t really care about.

“Umm, William, who is that lady with them.”

Rachel asked who Karla was and I explained to them that she was someone we helped in one fo the cities we passed by. They didn’t think much about it and ignored her.

“Alright, now that we’re done here why don’t we go back to our base.”

2