Chapter 59: The Kindness of Others
144 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mako, do you want to go shopping with me?”

“Sorry, but I have some work I need to finish.”

“Oh, I can wait until you’re done.”

Looking over, Ken was pestering Mako again. Ever since we’ve come to Hope City, he’s been trying to get closer to her by asking her out whenever he’s free. I don’t know why but it rubs me the wrong way when he tries to get closer to her. Maybe I’m being overprotective but he’s making her feel uncomfortable.

“Sorry but Mako has plans with me.”

“Really, what plans?”

Ken’s glaring at me and by this point, I’m used to it. I still don’t understand why he’s so hostile against me.

“We’re going to go buy clothes and necessities for Justina.”

“Hmph, fine.”

Ken turned away and left before making a snide comment.

“What can a poor guy like you even afford.”

He spoke in a whisper so I only I could hear it. It was irritating to hear him point it out but it was the truth. I can’t say anything back because I could barely support myself so maybe it was arrogant of me to try and support Justina.

“Sorry about that Mako. I’ll get going now.”

“Wait.”

I was about to go but Mako grabbed me by the hem of my shirt. Her beautiful eyes stared straight at me and I felt slightly embarrassed.

“Did you need something?”

“I’m free.”

“Free?”

“Yeah, so let’s go shopping.”

“O-ok, let’s go get Justina then.”

I thought she had something to do but I guess not. The two of us headed for Karla’s room where they were both at. As we got closer, I could hear the two of them joyfully talking to each other.

“Green. This shirt is green.”

“Grr-eeen?”

“Yes, what about this one?”

“Bu-loo!”

“Yes! Good job.”

I knock on the door as I hear Karla’s footsteps come closer. She opens the door and I could see Justina behind her naming all the colors she was just taught. Her pronunciation was still off but it was cute. On the other hand, she’s a really fast learner.

“Ju-ju, Kar-la, Justina. Name?”

Justina pointed at each of us and called our names but once she got to Mako, she was stuck. Realizing that she didn’t know Mako, she quickly hid behind Karla. Fifi chuckled and was happy that she wasn’t the only one that Justina was afraid of. Seeing that Justina was afraid, Mako got to eye level with Justina and gently spoke to her.

“Mako, my name is Mako. What about you?”

“Justina, Name. Ju-Ju, Maa-ko, friend?”

“Yeah, Mako is a friend.”

Justina stopped hiding behind Karla and began observing Mako from head to toe. Next, she stuck her hand out towards Mako and asked, “Friend”. Without hesitation, Mako shook Justina’s hand and Justina’s face innocently beamed with a smile. Mako was dragged away as Justina started showing her all the colors she had learned.

“Did you teach her that?”

“Yeah, it seemed like she wanted to learn how to make friends so I taught her that you should shake hands to make friends. She’s a fast learner.”

“Yeah, I agree. I was thinking about going shopping for Justina, do you want to go with us?”

She was going to speak but she hesitated for a bit. She looked at me then looked at Mako before giving a reply.

“I’m sorry but I still have a lot of work for the day. Why don’t you and Mako take Justina out.”

“Okay. Do you have a hat Justina can borrow?”

“Yeah, just wait a moment.”

I went over to Justina and began explaining to her that we were going to go outside but she was afraid and hesitant to go out. She was probably traumatized from those 3 guys kidnapping and chasing after her but I was able to convince her. I told her that if those guys came back then I would chase them away again. I think she understood me as she nodded her head to go out.

“Have a safe trip.”

We said our goodbyes to Karla and left the base. Our first stop was going to be a clothing store. Besides the straw hat that Karla had given her, all she was wearing a brown cloak that was basically rags. She wasn’t even wearing shoes so I carried her.

“Hey, I’m really sorry about last night. You don’t have to be so scared of me.”

“Fi-fi, bad.”

“What, I’m not bad! I’m a gentle and smart fairy.”

“Bad. Bad.”

The two of them were bickering but it was childish so Mako and I couldn’t help laughing. It didn’t take long for us to reach the small clothing store. I decided to come here because I knew the owner through a job I had done.

“Good morning, Mr. Jones.”

“Oh, good morning, Jude. Wow, I didn’t realize you had a family at such a young age. Ohoho, what a pretty wife and cute child. Come on in.”

“Hehe, wife.”

Mako muttered to herself as she took Justina inside the store to look for clothes. Fifi followed along because she also wanted to choose clothes for Justina. I didn’t join them because I wanted to speak with Mr. Jones for a bit.

“So how has the business been?”

“It’s been good, I’ve gotten a few new female customers because you modeled for us.”

“Really? Even though it was my first time modeling, I’m glad I could help the business. Oh, I wanted to warn you and the others that I saw some hoodlums last night.”

“Hoodlums? I guess that’s to be expected since the population has rapidly grown over the past few weeks. Yeah, I’ll warn the others and you have something else you wanted to ask, didn’t you?”

“Was I that obvious?”

“Yes, you were practically telling me you had something to ask me.”

Mr. Jones’s senses were way too sharp considering his age. He’s already in his 70’s but his senses are even sharper than mine. I guess that was how he saw that I was struggling to find a job when we first met. Back then I was struggling to find odd jobs to do because no one in the neighborhood trusted me but it was all thanks to Mr.Jones introducing me to everyone that I got more jobs.

“I’m going to be leaving for a mission and I don’t know when I’m coming back so I was wondering if you and the others can watch out for that little girl and her babysitter.”

“Sure, I don’t see a problem with that. I’m sure the others wouldn’t mind either.”

“Thank you. The little girl’s name is Justina and her babysitter’s name is Karla. Karla has brown curly hair and a tired but pretty face. She has glasses and usually wears a maid outfit.”

“Hmm, I see. I’ll let the others know.”

As we finished our talk Mako and Justina walked on over to the counter. Looking at the haul there was a pack of underwear, three different dresses, some socks, some hairclips, two hats, and three pairs of shoes. Justina was happily pointing at the dresses and repeating the colors blue, green, and pink. I guess Mako taught her the color pink.

“The total comes out to be $98.57.”

Haha, I knew it was a lot but I didn’t expect it to be that expensive. I take out my card and hand it over to Mr.Jones but he refused it.

“It’s fine. It’ll be my gift to this cute little lady.”

“Wait, I can’t accept this Mr.Jones. I’ll pay for it.”

He wouldn’t take my debit card so I decided to hand him my hundred dollar bill but he slid it back. I couldn’t understand why he was doing this. His business wasn’t doing that well that he could give stuff out for free.

“It’s fine, Jude. I’ve been a struggling father before and it was through the kindness of others that helped me through those tough times.”

“I-I…”

I didn’t know what to say. Mr. Jones was being too generous that I couldn’t refuse him. Warm feelings that I haven’t felt in a long time began to flow through every inch of my body. There were only a few words I could say to him.

“Thank you. I’ll repay this kindness one day.”

Mr.Jones bagged Justina’s clothing and we went on our way. Justina had already changed out of her rags and was now wearing her light green dress and shoes. After buying Justina clothes, we went to a bookstore to buy her books so she could learn, then we bought her some toys, then we bought her some coloring tools, and our last stop was lunch.

I once was again realized that everyone in this neighborhood is very nice. All the stores that were owned by people I helped all gave me discounts for Justina’s items. It wasn’t just Mr.Jones who was really nice. By the time we were done shopping, it was a little bit past noon. We were currently headed back to the base.

“You can depend on me more, Jude.”

“It’s fine, Mako. I can buy and pay for everything myself. There’s no need to burden yourself.”

“Haah, okay. But if you ever need any money, ask me.”

Throughout the entire time, Mako offered to pay for Justina’s items but I didn’t let her. It was my choice to take care of Justina so I didn’t want to burden her. Even before I saved Justina, Mako was constantly offering to pay lunch, dinner, clothing, my daily supplies, or even gear for me. She’s such a kind person that it made me not want to leech off her even more than I did when we first came to Hope city.

“Yeah, we don’t need your money, Mako.”

“Quiet, Fifi. Mako’s being nice to us and it was you who got us into this situation.”

“I know, I know, but you’re too naive to see her motives.”

Fifi pouts as she hides within my hair. I let go of Justina’s hand and I could see her become slightly sad.

“Ju-Ju go work?”

“Yeah. Be a good girl and stay with Mako, ok.”

“Ok. Bye-bye, Ju-Ju.”

“Alright, see you later.”

I part ways from Justina and Mako before heading off to do the odd jobs I had scheduled. The first job of the day was to help Mr. Trebo paint his fence. He was slightly angry that I had arrived a little late but I quickly got to work. Although I was working, I also used these times to train my magic.

With Fifi’s instructions, I used magic to manipulate the orange paint. It was similar to manipulating water magic but it was a little tricky. Due to the thickness of the paint, it wasn’t as easy to control so I wasted more mana than I had expected.

“Hoh, it looks amazing. I guess I can forgive you for being late.”

“Thank you. If you need my help again then contact me through this phone number or address.”

I hand him my business card that has my phone number and the address of Unit K’s base. I really have to thank William for recommending me to create business cards. It’s been so useful for spreading my name to those who needed help.

I collect my payment and was about to head to my next job but I still had time. With that extra time, I went around the neighborhood to cancel my jobs I had scheduled for the next few days Some of them were new customers and were angry while some of those I already knew were disappointed but understood my circumstances.

“Alright, this time we’re going to be testing your control of wind and fire magic. I want you to cut the branches and burn them before they touch the ground. And don’t let your flames burn any of the other branches.”

“Ok.”

My job this time was to trim the branches of a few trees that were overgrowing. I began training as Fifi instructed but once again, I realize that my control was still inadequate. The branches weren’t cut evenly so some of them reached the ground faster before I could completely burn them. And when I tried to quickly burn the branches I cut down, I would accidentally burn some of the other branches I wasn’t supposed to cut.

Just like that, I went through the other odd jobs while training and before I knew it, it was already sunset. I rush towards the weapon shop as I hadn’t prepared my gear for the mission tomorrow. I had enough money to buy a weapon and some armor. I look through the shop but I don’t really know what I’m looking for.

“What weapon should I buy, Fifi?”

“Hmm, I would recommend a wand but you seem to really like fighting in close combat.”

“Should I buy a gun since I have my magic Blowback Bullet.”

“That wouldn’t be a bad idea but a regular gun won’t be able to handle magic.”

Not knowing what weapon to buy, I decided to buy armor first. I was able to buy a vest, arm guards, and leg guards, but it seemed like I had underestimated the cost. I don’t think I have enough to buy a weapon. I guess I have to borrow a weapon from William for tomorrow’s mission.

“Hey, kid. You looking for a weapon?”

A suspicious man asks me a question as I exit the weapons store. He had a long messy beard and was wearing a long trench coat. I didn’t want to deal with any suspicious individuals so I hurriedly walk past him but he runs in front of me and blocks my way.

His breathing was rough and his face was slightly flushed red. The arms holding onto his coat was shaky and I was afraid I was going to see something unpleasant. I was too late to cover my eyes as he quickly opened his coat.

“Jude, ask him where he got these items.”

Looking at the inside of his coat, this suspicious man really did have weapons and other items. There were bullets, guns, daggers, rings, necklaces, bracelets, and even a wooden mallet. It had even gotten the attention of Fifi.

“Where did you get these items?”

“Hehehe, I see you’re interested but you have to do me a favor first.”

He got extremely close to me that I could smell his breath. Suddenly he grabbed my hands and started caressing them as his breathing became rapid. Maybe something unpleasant was going to happen.

3