Chapter 80: Breaking Through the Fog(Part 6)
73 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Keer-ka-na means family in the lizardman language.”

“I see.”

Jill jots down the notes in her handbook. Looking from behind, her handbook was filled with notes concerning the lizardman language. Ever since we fought the lizardman in the swamp, she’s been interested in the lizardman language. Seeing that the lizardman in the swamp wasn’t hostile after it saw my greatsword, Jill thinks the lizardman can be communicated with. I don’t know if it’s possible but I trust her judgment.

While Jills been trying to learn the lizardman language from Donnel, I’ve also been doing my own research. Flipping through the comic book, some new techniques begin to be created in my head. Fantasy novels and even the sparse manga lying around in the library is a source to expand my imagination. Since magic is based on imagination, I’ve trying to think of other ways I can use my healing magic.

A healing aura that can heal my allies, a healing ball that I can shoot at my allies from a distance, or even healing magic that can cure poison. The ideas have been racing through my mind as I want to get stronger. I’ve even tested combining Qi and healing magic, but it’s difficult.

“*Bzz *Bzz *Bzz”

Is that the sound of bees? It was quite loud and seemed to be coming from outside. The library was quiet so the sound seemed even louder than usual. Jill and Donnel were so immersed in their research that they didn’t notice the sound. The few people in the library were also alarmed at the sound of bees. The buzzing gets louder and louder to the point where I have to interrupt Jill. It wasn’t only the sounds of bees coming from outside, it was like a cacophony of insect noises.

“T-there’s something outside!”

“Aaah!!”

Glass shatters and insects barge into the library. They were huge and looks exactly like the ones we’ve seen inside of the swamp. I wrap my body in Qi and fight off the bugs, but there are too many of them.

“Everyone gather around me!”

The others run towards us and as soon as the last person makes it, Jill covers us in a sphere made out of earth magic. The buzzing doesn’t die down and seems to get even worse. There were even some insects trying to dig into the sphere to reach us. Jill sinks the ground beneath us and we enter the basement.

“Did those monsters invade the village? I need to find my brother!”

“Calm down. We need to think of a way we can escape.”

The villagers were panicking but Jill quickly calms them down. If monsters were invading the village than we need to warn the others other but that isn’t going to be easy. The library wasn’t close to any of the other buildings and was currently right by the fog wall. When Consal was swallowed up by the fog, this region of the town was the outskirts so the houses were spaced apart.

“If we want to get to safety we have to cross through the fields. In the open field, we’ll be susceptible to attacks from the monsters.”

“Yes, but this is our only option. There are still villagers who live along the outskirts and we have to save as many as we can. I have a plan.” 

All of us follow Jill as we head onto the first floor. Looking through the door there didn’t seem to be too many insects around. The only ones left were eating at the books or other insects. Jill was prepared to attack them but I stop her as she needed to conserve her mana to execute her plan. We sneak past the insects and exit the building, but the situation outside was worse than we thought. Hundreds of bugs were flying in the sky as the sun was setting. 

That wasn’t the only problem, there was a pack of 4 hundred-eyed dogs charging at us as soon as we got out. Jill covers herself and the others as I charge towards the dogs. One of them lunges at but I grab it by the throat before giving it a tight squeeze. I throw its lifeless body at one of the other dogs as another tries to bite my thigh. With Qi infused in my legs, I give a good kick and the dog’s head comes flying off.

That was two down, now’s there only two left. I quickly turn around as one of the dog’s fangs was right by my throat. It would have been dangerous if I didn’t notice it, but I knew it was coming from behind. I dodge to the side and both of the remaining dogs collide with one another. The other one was also aiming for my throat as the other one attacked me. They were clever creatures that work well with one another but they are weak individually. I pierce their bodies with my arm clad in Qi and their bodies become lifeless.

“Everything’s fine now.”

“Good job, Gorou.”

The situation would have been worse if there were more of them but luckily there was only 4. I enter the sphere and we begin traveling along the dirt path. Since the night was about to arrive and our vision was going to be lost, Jill’s plan was to travel with her earth magic protecting us. She would rely on her memory and her earth magic to find any surviving villagers.

Like a tank, we trudged through the path in front of us with ease. Insects couldn’t get in and any monsters that were curious didn’t bother us as we stayed completely still. They would poke and probe the sphere, but Jill had reinforced it so it couldn’t easily be broken in.

“There’s a person inside.”

“Ok, I’ll head inside.”

Jill wishes me luck as the sphere opens up. In front of us was a one-story house that was battered by the monsters. The windows and doors were broken, and part of the house was caved in. I can hear the sounds of a man screaming as I rush upstairs.

“You fucking bastards!!!! How dare you!!! How dare you!!!”

I enter the room and was shocked at the sight. There was blood all over the room while the dead bodies of insects and giants bats were smashed against the floor and walls. A man was wailing as he continues to pummel his fists into the dead body of a giant bat. Looking on the bed was an old couple’s body that had been eaten by the monsters.

“Hey, calm down. We need to leave if you want to live.”

“I’ll protect them! I’ll protect them! I’LL PROTECT THEM!!!”

The man wasn’t in the right state of mind as he charges me with his fist raised in the air. His actions were clumsy but I couldn’t underestimate the speed and strength behind his attack. I dodged him but the wall behind me had shattered from a single punch. Taking another look at him, there was a red aura coming off of his body and his eyes were bloodshot.

“I’ll kill all of you!”

“Calm down, I’m here to save you.”

He doesn’t listen and continues to attack me. It wasn’t a problem for me to dodge but it was wasting our precious time. I apologize to him before sweeping him off the ground with my leg and pinning him down to the ground with my knee on his back. He continues to struggle but he couldn’t escape.

“AAAAHHHH!!!”

This rage and strength were similar to Jude’s outburst back in the Ostempal. Strength continues building up in the man as it becomes harder to restrain him. I didn’t notice it but mana was gathering inside of the man. Horns suddenly begin growing on the side of his head as the floor breaks beneath us.

It was quite a shock but I roll over as his hand pierces into the ground. Luckily it didn’t seem like he had transformed into a demon. He didn’t have that oppressive and dark aura that demon on the wall had. Instead, the horns coming out from his head looks more like what you would see on a bull.

He attacks while I was thinking and its time I stop holding back. I’ve been careful not to hurt him because he’s a human, but not anymore. I kick him and his body flies towards the ceiling. I jump up and grab his arm before slamming him into the ground. I can hear a few bones cracking but it’s nothing some healing magic can’t repair.

“Is everything fine, Gorou?”

“It’s nothing, just a little trouble.”

Jill came to check on me because I took so long, but I’ve finally subdued the man. I take one last look at the couple’s body as we head on out. From what I’ve heard the man scream, those two must have been his parents. It’s unfortunate but all I can do is offer a prayer for them.

With the man slung over my shoulder we get back inside of the sphere and search for other villagers. Sometimes we were too late and arrived at the scene of a massacre, but there were a few times when we were able to save the villagers I’m glad that we were at least able to save some people. Our group quickly contained 36 people and Jill had to expand the size of the sphere. I can tell it was taking a toll on her mana but she wasn’t giving up yet. The determination to save others was still brightly burning in her eyes and I’m here to support her. 

It’s been almost an hour since we’ve encountered those insects in the library but there still weren’t any signs of Unit I or Unit K out here. The situation in the town must be as dangerous as it was out here, or even worse. With so many people to protect, I’m sure they’re having a rough time. We need to regroup if we don’t want to get stranded out here.

“Do you feel that? Is the ground shaking?”

The ground begins shaking intensely and it was the same feeling as an earthquake. It stops after a few seconds and the roar of a monster penetrates the sphere of earth. It so loud that I couldn’t help but cover my ears. Suddenly I feel someone tugging my shirt and it was Jill. Her face was pale as her lips begin moving. I couldn’t hear her but I could read her lips.

“Monster!”

The sphere cracks open and a pair of red eyes were staring straight at us. I push Jill behind me as I envelop my body in Qi.

|......|

“Aim for his legs! That’s his weak spot! Leaf tie his legs, Cammy glue him down, Yun prepare your sword, Gareth keep on shooting...”

Orders are given out by Kayla as one of the giant trees fall down towards the T-rex. It was 60 feet tall so even the T-rex had to worry about it crushing him to death. Using its legs, it jumps out of the way but that’s when our plan comes into play. Mako stops the T-rex in the air with wind magic as Leaf wraps his ropes around the T-rex’s legs. The others grab onto the ropes to pull the T-rex down but it rips apart as soon as the T-rex swings its massive claws.

“Damn, he got away again. Everyone gather up and watch out for its attacks!”

Gorango stabs his claws into another tree before jumping between all the trees. This wasn’t the first time this has happened so we quickly got into formation. Making the tress appear was a mistake on our part. When we first engaged Gorango, Kayla thought it would be a good idea to create obstacles to hinder Gorango so she had Michelle use her ability. I thought her ability was just to project a map but it was more complicated than that. Her ability allows her to project something she has seen before into reality. It’s an amazing ability but the bigger the image, the harder it is to control.

This forest of great Dedola trees was projected to hinder Gorango but it worked against us. Gorango wasn’t hindered by the trees at all, in fact, he was excellent at climbing and moving in between trees. What makes it worse is that we can’t escape from this space until the time runs out. The problem with Michelle’s skill when projecting a large image is that she can’t control how long it can last. It can be seconds or even a few days. Luckily or unluckily, her ability would end in an hour. All we have to do is survive for 20 more minutes or kill Gorango.

“Over there by that tree!”

All the members of Unit I aim there guns and fire their special bullets towards the area one of them pointed to. As a member of Unit I predicted, the bullets hit their marks but Gorango brushes them off as he charges straight towards us. So far we’ve only scratched his skin while he’s killed two members from Unit I.

“Barrier.”

“Roots, protect us.”

“Slowing Eye.”

Gorango’s speed slows down as the group is covered by an invisible barrier and tree roots. The barrier shatters from his claws but stops all of Gorango’s velocity. He was ready to jump away but the roots quickly wrap around his arms. If these were regular roots, they would have never held him down but these were the roots of giant Dedola trees.

“Attack!!”

At Kayla’s signal, Mako and I jump out of a tree while aiming for Gorango’s back. It wasn’t just us, there was that guy named Yun and two others that jumped out of other trees. Yun was riding on a 10 feet long sword, one of the other man’s hammer bursts into flames, and the other man’s body inflates and turns into a giant steel ball.

The roots are ripped away as Gorango escapes but a large icicle hits him in the back. It only did a little damage but the ice begins to spread around his body, making his movements stiff. Fifi’s attack gives the others the chance to bind Gorango again as our attacks fall on him. The giant steel ball was the first to make it to Gorango but he was slapped away by Gorango’s tail. 

The fiery hammer makes an impact and singes Gorango’s body, but the wielder was unable to react and was eaten by Gorango. Yun rides on the handle of the sword as it misses Gorango entirely. Gorango had dodged the sword and used it to cut away the roots holding him down. 

He was finally free but our attack wasn’t over. At the same time Yun’s sword had missed, Mako swings the ax into Gorango’s body. It cuts into his body but the hard muscles prevented the ax from going any further.

“DRAIN!!!”

All of Mako’s injuries disappear as her ax absorbs Gorango’s blood. Besides being able to return to the owner like a boomerang, the other ability of the ax is to drain blood to heal. Gorango screams as this was the first time we’ve done serious damage to him. His tail swings at Mako but with perfect timing, Gul’sa Quan’s greatsword pierces into the roots and blocks the tail.

Gareth’s aim was as good as ever. With Kurulu covered in my blood, I descend from the sky aiming for Gorango’s head. Sensing my presence, he no longer pays attention to Mako and instead covers his head with both of his hands. Black armor appears around his hands as Kurulu makes contact. The black armor was tough and prevented Kurulu from piercing through.

“Do it now, Mako!”

“ORAA!!”

Even though the black armor was a surprise, it didn’t hinder our plans. My attack was just a distraction so he would forget about Mako. Grabbing Gul’sa Quan’s greatsword by the handle, she pulls it out of the ground before swinging at Gorango’s legs. The size difference between Mako and the greatsword was large, but it didn’t seem like she’s struggling to swing it.

“Damn, it didn’t go through!!!”

Unlike what we had expected, the sound of metal clashing with metal echoes throughout the forest. Black armor had appeared on Gorango’s legs and it was spreading throughout his body. I quickly grab Mako and jump off the roots as Gorango swings his tail. We were able to dodge it but with his tail clad in black armor, it cuts through the roots like its made out of sand.

“How much time is left, Mako?”

“About 10 minutes.”

10 minutes isn’t long but in this situation, it becomes incredibly difficult. We were able to survive for the past hour because Gorango was still trying to grasps his surroundings, but now he’s serious. Our plan to kill Gorango has failed and now we’ve angered him. That black armor isn’t something any of us can penetrate. I take a deep breath before yelling at the top of my lungs.

“Everyone hide! We can’t deal with Gorango!”

Immediately after I finish speaking, Gorango roars in anger. Fifi warns me and I get low to the ground as I can feel something fly right above me. A red wave of energy carves into the Dedola tree right in front of us. Some of these trees can grow up to 30 feet in width but half of it was easily carved out by Gorango’s attack. It wasn’t just this tree, many of the other trees had similar damage.

“Hold on tight, Mako!”

Many trees were crashing down, including the one in front of us. With Fifi’s guidance, I run towards the falling tree, and right before it makes impact, Fifi uses wind magic to send us into the sky. Looking down, Gorango was at the spot we were just at with his claws dug into the ground. His red eyes stare at us through his black armor.

“Mako, support me with wind magic along with Fifi. We’re going to be running from Gorango.”

“Ok.”

The ground cracks underneath him as Gorango jumps towards the nearest trees. He inserts his claws in the tree and begins climbing to chase after us. I run along the trees with the help of wind magic as I aim to reach the top. As long as we reach the top then we can hide within the leaves. Even Gorango would have a hard time finding us.

1