Chapter 83: Ambush
76 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry for no chapter on Friday, I've been busy. 

“Alright, this is the last batch. Don’t let your guard down.”

Following Kayla’s instructions, we leave the warehouse with the 50 remaining villagers. It’s been 2 days since we fought Gorango and throughout the day we’ve been evacuating the villagers in batches. In the beginning, many of the frogmen protested leaving the village because it’s their home. They’ve been living here for hundreds of years ever since their ancestors built the village. I understand their feelings but the village is mostly destroyed already.

It was only with the help of Brisben that we were able to convince the frogmen into leaving the village. Many of them felt bitter about the situation but they understood that they needed a place for their families to live. Kayla promised that she’ll help them find a place to live in Hope City and

I’ll do whatever I can to help her accomplish that.

There were still monsters in the village but it shouldn’t be a problem for us since we’ve gone through this path multiple times already. We’ve already taken out most of the stronger monsters over the past few days with Gul’sa Mun’s help. Even if another strong monster pops up, it shouldn’t be a problem with our current group.

Including Gul’sa Mun, Gorou, Jill, Gareth, Fifi, and I, the others from Unit I was Kayla, Cammy, Urban, Leaf, Conrad, and the guy with the ability to control roots. The others were left to protect the villagers who were already outside of the fog. The only problem was navigating through the fog.

Gul’sa Mun’s route was relatively safe but there’s always the off chance a monster Gorango pops up. From Jill’s translations of Gul’sa Mun’s words, there were other strong monsters like Gorango living within the fog. Unlike those monsters, we didn’t have to worry about the others since Gul’sa Mun’s with us. Since he’s been living here for quite a while, he’s already established his position as an apex predator. That’s how he was able to force those other monsters to attack us when we first met.

“Mommy, how much longer do we have to walk? I’m tired.”

“Shut up!”

“I-I’m sorry, we’ll be quiet. Come on Luke, apologize.”

The mother grabs her son by the collar and profusely apologies to Urban. This wasn’t the first incident of this happening and Kayla’s usually the one to resolve the issue, but she’s preoccupied right now.

“Hey, do you really have to act like that towards them?”

“Hmph, always trying to act like a little hero, aren’t you? What are you going to do about it, huh.”

“Be careful, Jude.”

I didn’t need Fifi’s warning to realize that Urban’s trying to egg me on. Throughout the multiple travels between the village and the outside, he’s been trying to get on my nerves. Whether it’s him, Leaf, or Conrad, they’ve been trying there best to irritate us. I don’t know their objective but I’ve already told the others about the conversation I heard a few nights ago.

“Heh, just a little pussy who’s too scared to retaliate.“ 

I ignore him as we continue our march through the mud. It shouldn’t be too long until we reach the exit. Just like the wall that blocks the swamp from the village, there’s a another fog wall we have to walk through to exit. It’s already been about 4 hours since we started evacuating the villagers so allies from FUUI should be arriving soon. Both William and Kayla had devices used to contact FUUI which only worked outside of the fog. There was some sort of interference that blocked out communication within the fog and dungeon.

“Let’s hurry…”

“You two handle her…I’ll get the flower.”

Urban, Leaf, and Conrad were speaking to one another. I couldn’t catch their conversation but I can tell they’re feeling anxious. Conrad takes a step away from them and his feet becomes blurry. It was his ability which allows him to move a short distance with incredible speed. I don’t hesitate and throw Kurulu at him.

“Ah, fuck.”

Conrad flinches as he deflects Kurulu away. His speed drastically decreases as Fifi sends an icicle flying towards him but he dodges it. Even if he’s an asshole, it still shows that he is a member of FUUI. His reflexes were good but it didn’t stop him from having his legs injured by the icicle.

“Piece of shit, I’ll get my revenge!!”

Conrad pulls out the Sipula flower and it screeches like a banshee. The villagers’ crouch down in fear as I yell out to Gareth to protect Kayla. Ropes suddenly bind Gareth and Kayla as Urban charges towards her with his drill hands. Gareth struggles but other than his special eyes, he was a normal person. Kayla envelops herself in her white armor but it was too slow.

“I won’t let you!!”

Mud rises from the ground and envelops Urban. Gorou’s greatsword comes from behind and cuts Leaf in half before he stabs the tip of the sword into Urban’s body. 

“Thank you. Let’s hurry before more monsters show up.”

I grab Kurulu and Conrad’s sword which was lying right next to her. When he deflected Kurulu, the sword had fallen out of his hands. Looking off in the distance, Conrad was already running away with all of his might. Considering the direction he’s heading off towards, things weren’t going to end well for him. The roars of monsters echo through the swamp and green tentacles were descending from the sky.

The villagers were in a slight panic but we’ve already warned them about what can happen inside of the swamp. The frogmen gather on the outside as the women and children were on the inside. We rush through the swamp as packs of hundred-eyed dogs begin chasing after us. Jumping through the trees were also monkey-like creatures.

We were able to handle the initial wave but more monsters just kept gathering around us. Even with Gul’sa Mun’s presence, the monsters weren’t afraid. They all seem to be in some sort of frenzy after hearing the Sipula flower’s screeches.

“Go, the exit is right there!”

The villagers run through the exit as the rest of us stay behind to deal with the monsters. 5 dogs charge at me but I was able to handle them swiftly. After the fight with Gorango, I can my body become stronger. Our group was suddenly bombarded with rocks from a distance. The monkeys were hiding behind the other monsters so we couldn’t deal with them.

A group of six-legged hippos charges at us but we didn’t have to deal with them anymore. All the villagers had already passed through the fog wall so we quickly follow them. We’ve already tested it, but other monsters can’t escape through the fog.

“Drop your weapons!!”

My mind becomes hazy as my grip on Kurulu loosens. Something was compelling to let go but I was able to resist. Gul’sa Mun, Gorou, and Kayla were also able to resist but the others complied with the command and dropped their weapons. It was a strange ability but that wasn’t the most concerning thing.

All the villagers lied on the ground shaking in fear as men and women armed with weapons threatened them. From their uniform, it seems like they are a part of FUUI but the situation wasn’t normal, there are signs that a battle just occurred. A sense of dread was rushing through my body.

“Jorge, what are you doing here? And what’s with your men pointing your weapons at us?”

“You’re not in a position to ask questions, Kayla. Let’s just say this is just part of the job, no hard feelings.”

“I see, was it Unit I or Unit O. No, it could also be Unit U.”

The bald man in a black coat stayed silent at Kayla’s guesses. Four trucks surrounded us and there were at least 20 enemies pointing their weapons at us. Besides the leader named Jorge, the rest of them were covering their faces. The only thing that was most recognizable on most of them is the letter F tattooed on their necks.

“Hand us your life and I might think about sparring your subordinates.”

“Are you really saying that, Jorge? Don’t think I don’t know how Unit F handles their affairs.”

I couldn’t hear the rest of their conversation as I finally found Mako and the others. Her injured body was pinned on the ground by a boot as the pool of blood around her grows bigger. Our eyes make contact and a smile appears on her face. It was the same smile Tod made right before he disappeared.

“Not again. I won’t let this happen.”

“J-Jude…”

1