►0007◄ Her Secret
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

○ ○ ○

After they'd taken their seats, Klaus shoved his bread into his mouth and started talking. Aoi listened to him as she demurely ate her grilled fish and rice.

She nodded once a while to let Klaus know she understood what he was saying, but after a while, she just had to interrupt.

"You were reincarnated?" Aoi muttered with her eyebrows furrowed. Perhaps she found it too bizarre for Klaus to say such a thing with confidence, that she stopped eating.

"You believe what this... entity was saying about your reincarnation?" Aoi added.

"Oh no, not only that. I also believe that my mom, dad, and Freda got reincarnated as well."

"...You."

Aoi had a fierce look in her eyes as if she was glaring at him, and Klaus gulped. He knew she wouldn't believe what he said, but he had to tell someone about it.

"...I see. So what you're trying to say is, that middle school student is the Freda you know in your previous life?"

"Yeah."

"You do know what you're saying is nonsense, right?"

"Yeah—No, I mean, I know it's weird, but it's the truth."

Klaus insisted that Aoi should believe him, but the girl shook her head. Knowing that his words wouldn't change her mind, he didn't pursue the topic any further after lunch, and they quickly left for the afternoon classes.

He decided that if he could convince Tsujihara J. Freda to spill the truth, then perhaps Aoi would believe him. But how?

There was no answer to this yet.

"I'm hungry."

Klaus and Aoi were on their way back from school when Aoi stopped by a convenience store. She met his gaze and kept nodding for some reason.

"I'm hungry," Aoi repeated monotonously.

"...I heard you the first time."

Klaus put a hand at his chin and looked through one of the store's windows. There were a few magazines available for sale at the counter. Placed at the forefront of the collection was a magazine geared towards book lovers.

This magazine was known for its up-to-date content regarding renowned and rising authors in the literature world. News about book rankings and upcoming releases had been the few features that Klaus looked for in the magazine.

He nodded back at Aoi with a smile. "I think I'll buy something too. The magazine I usually read might have some news about the upcoming sequel of Spirits Beyond."

Aoi didn't wait for him and strode into the store. She quickly picked up a few bags of potato chips, four chocolate bars, two soda cans, and threw them into a basket. She didn't hesitate at all when she brought the items to the counter.

That was a bit too much for her. At least, those who didn't know Aoi would think this way. Klaus had seen her eat more than that before dinner, and so far, her eating habit hadn't affected her body shape.

Klaus slid the magazine he'd bought into his school bag and met with Aoi outside the convenience store.

"Can I have a soda?" said Klaus as the duo continued walking.

"...Buy one yourself."

Klaus shrugged at Aoi's words, and once his house was within sight, he turned to look at her.

"Hey, I'm planning on finding a club tomorrow."

"Huh?"

Aoi stopped in her tracks and stared at Klaus. "Which club?"

"I want to check them out tomorrow and see which one would fit me the best. I'll decide right then."

Klaus stopped in front of his house and smiled at Aoi. "How about you? Have you decided on a club you want to join?"

"...Not yet."

Back when Aoi was in middle school, she had joined the sewing club but quitted after a month. She wasn't feeling it. Aoi said this sentence to Klaus when he asked her.

But she was quite good at sewing that it was a shame she quitted. Klaus knew that if she had stayed in the club, then she would've picked up a few more skills.

What did her parents say about her quitting?

Aoi never told anyone what they thought about it, not even Klaus. The indifferent expression glued to her face made it hard for anyone to guess.

"Hmm?" Klaus had twisted the front door open when she cast a glance at Aoi. "Your parents must have given some suggestions, right? Since participating in a club is mandatory now, I suppose they had listed a few that might interest you."

"That..." Aoi bit her lip, her hands trembling. "Um, they let me choose. I can join any club I want."

"Oh?"

That was quite supportive of them.

"Hey, I'd never entered your house before. I'll carry those bags for you as we go."

Klaus reached out to grab the plastic bags Aoi was carrying, but she pulled away at the last second. Huh?

He looked straight in her eyes, and for some reason, she seemed like crying? What happened to her all of a sudden?

"Hey, Aoi..."

"Thank you, but I can carry these myself. See you tomorrow, Klaus."

Aoi turned her head and walked briskly, away from his sight. She couldn't show her emotions in front of him. Not when it would risk her revealing the secret she'd been keeping from him.

Not now.

Never.

When Aoi arrived at her house, she quickly went to her room and shut her door. Her plastic bags fell to the floor. For a few moments, Aoi merely stood at her spot with bated breath and wide eyes. The fact that she was about to spill her secret to Klaus made her very anxious and afraid.

Surely, there was nothing to be afraid of, right? Even after all these years, Klaus didn't know about her background, and she felt relieved.

She had never invited him into her house, and he never asked either. In a sense, she was grateful that it didn't turn out the other way.

Yes, everything should remain the way it is.

Right?

Knock.

Knock.

Aoi let out a yelp when she heard someone knocking on her door. Her eyes bulging, she strode to a corner of the room and hunkered down.

Tears streaked her cheeks as she held her head in her hands.

"Klaus..."

0