Part 30 – Meeting Sasuke?
1.4k 16 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 30

Uzu watched as Naruto opened the door, familiar faces instantly coming into view.

“Can we come in?” Sakura asked, with a small smile on her face.

She looks … sad? Exhausted?

“Sure, come in.” Naruto said, fake smiling at them.

That rejection by the Raikage was a hard blow for him …

Naruto moved back to the bed and sat down next to Uzu. The rest that waited outside gradually came into the room.

Yamato and Kakashi stood next to the bed and Sakura, Kiba, Shino and Sai stood at a distance away.

Uzu noticed that they all had very complicated expressions on their face, especially when their eyes met with Naruto’s.

Naruto took her hand before saying: “Out with it. What is it that makes you so uncomfortable?”

They froze.

A few seconds of silence later, Sakura opened her mouth: “Naruto … Sasuke, he … joined the Akatsuki. You know that already. And he is working together with them to … wage war. Create chaos. Upset the fragile peace that controlled the elemental nations for a while.”

Catching her breath, Sakura continued: “The Akatsuki are … looking for the tailed beasts. With the way things are going Sasuke will come to kill you! We … cannot allow that to happen. And we do not want a war. We … know that Sasuke will soon be chased by the whole world and … we want to be the one that catch him. We, the Konoha 11. Once, he was a part of our group as well … and if he is going to be caught and killed either way … then we want to be the ones doing that. As former friends … or comrades. I guess we have never been friends with Sasuke.”

Silence.

Naruto’s hand tensed in Uzu’s and she felt the atmosphere go colder and colder by the second.

“You … you are here to kill him?” Naruto asked shakily.

“Not necessarily. We want to capture him first.” Sakura said.

Does she not like Sasuke anymore? Or rather … I don’t even know whether she ever really liked him. It was more of an obsession in canon too.

“But-“ Naruto said, before being interrupted.

“Naruto. It’s going to be okay. I know that you promised to bring him back … and we’ve all seen how much you tried, how hard you worked. We all respect and love you for that. But it’s enough, Naruto. It’s enough. It’s become very clear over the years that Sasuke does not want to come back. Naruto, it’s okay. This once, you can break your promise, or rather, forget about it. It’s fine, it’s going to be okay. We’ll all be okay. I’ll be okay too …” Sakura said, the last sentence said in a whisper.

So she still feels for him.

Uzu felt Naruto stiffen. His back hunched over in resignation.

She has never seen him this … down, hopeless before. And she really doesn’t like it. But she agrees with them.

The Konoha 11 (- Naruto) are right. Sasuke does not want to come back, otherwise he would have done exactly that years ago, or rather, he wouldn’t have left at all.

Sasuke has hurt Naruto so many times and its about time that stops.

Though … if Naruto still wants to try bringing him back, then I’ll be right by his side to help him. That’s something we promised …

Promise, huh? She chuckled dryly at the thought of promises, and how they were trying to make Naruto leave one of his behind.

Sakura said, turning around: “Naruto. We just wanted to inform you … that we are doing this. We will bring him back, or kill him, if that’s the only way. And we … don’t want you to come with us. But please don’t misunderstand. It’s not because we don’t like you, or because we don’t trust in your strength. But we do know how much you value promises and how much you valued him as a friend … and we don’t want to burden you with the responsibility of maybe having his blood on your hands. We can’t do that, not as your friends … and we hope that you can forgive us, but this is something that needs to be done.”

Afterwards, the four of them left the room and closed the door behind them.

Silence permeated the room for minutes … before Naruto finally mumbled: “Can I be alone for a bit? Please?

Kakashi and Yamato nodded and left the room.

Uzu stood up, giving his hand a little squeeze before she also left the room, having understood that he wanted to be completely alone and that meant that even she had to leave.

Come to think of it, we haven’t been away from each other much lately, she thought, upon leaving the room and walking towards the inn’s exit.

Putting on her cloak, she walked into the snowy forest next to the inn.

Stepping through the soft snow, she enjoyed the sound her footsteps made and couldn’t help but smile slightly.

She had always loved snow, rain and colder weather. Though, lately, she’d also come to like the sun.

Standing in a clearing, she flashed through a few hand signs before slamming her hands onto the ground.

A small raven sprouted from the ground and soon took flight, circling above her head.

“Go after Sakura and dispel once they find Sasuke.” She said and the raven took off.

She walked back towards the inn.

Along the way, she noticed three gazes on her.

“Hey, aren’t you that Senju girl Naruto is together with?” A blonde-haired girl asked.

Temari? Oh, and there’s Gaara and Kankuro too.

Uzu nodded.

“Senju-sama, can you tell us where Naruto is. We’d like to talk to him.” She heard Gaara say in a calm voice.

“He’s in the inn, second floor, room 3. He might not want to see you though, he isn’t feeling well and would like to be alone?” She said, fake smiling at them.

“Thank you.” Gaara said, before leaving and entering the inn.

His two siblings nodded at her and followed their Kazekage.

Uzu waited outside, looking at the beautiful scenery surrounding the inn.

Minutes later, the trio of Sunagakure came out, Temari and Kankuro having smiles on their faces and even Gaara seemed … happy.

When they passed her, Temari said: “You might want to go back inside, Naruto asked whether we’ve seen you.”

Hmm? Did they manage to cheer him up?

“Thank you, it seems like he values you three a lot.” Uzu said, before leaving for the inn.

Entering the inn again, she still felt the gazes of the three Suna-nin on her back.

“Uzu, I’ll keep my promise. I’ll bring him back. Will you help me?” Naruto asked her, once she stepped into the room.

“Sure.” Uzu said, smiling sweetly.

“I’ll talk to Kakashi and Yamato and then let’s be on our way.” Naruto said, leaving the room.

“I’ve sent a wood summon after them, let’s follow them for now?” Uzu asked, once outside with the rest of the group.

Receiving three nods, she created another huge raven and they soon flew through the air, following the chakra signature of her wood summon.

[Sakura POV]

He looks so different …

He wasn’t this … dark, evil … before. Even when he left.

“Sasuke. Come back to Konoha with us on your own free will and we can guarantee that you won’t be treated harshly.” Kiba said, Akamaru barking, as if to support his words.

Sakura looked up at the figure clad in an Akatsuki-robe.

He had activated his two Sharingan the moment they had entered the clearing he rested at.

“Hah, you are foolish. Why would I go back to that place at all?” Sasuke said, smirking down at them and narrowing his eyes.

“That place … Konoha. I’ll destroy it. Konoha has killed my brother and my family. And I’ll be the one to take revenge for them. I’ve always been the avenger, so why not play that role a little longer?” Sasuke said, his voice filled with venom.

Sakura shivered slightly, fearing whatever he had become.

The Sasuke that I once … liked … or did I ever truly like him? He’s gone. He’s been gone for a long time.

She looked up at him again, just in time to see him rush at her with his sword drawn.

Eh?

She froze, already feeling the katana’s sharp edge on her throat. His pair of eyes shone eerily in the forest and seemed to be everything she could see.

Genjutsu!

She interrupted the flow of her own chakra and interrupted the influence the foreign chakra had on her.

“Ah? Has the little fangirl gained some skills? Though then again, it’s not that impressive to get out of such a low-level genjutsu.” She heard Sasuke say.

Looking at the source of his voice, she saw that another figure had arrived next to him.

It was a person with an orange mask that spiraled until only his right eye was visible.

Sharingan! There’s another Uchiha in the Akatsuki?!

“Brave. To look right into my eye.” The other Akatsuki said in an impressively deep voice.

“Who-“ Sakura mumbled.

Suddenly she heard the cry of a raven behind her, it was overpowering and loud.

She watched as the huge raven landed in the space between her and the two Akatsuki.

Sensei, Yamato? And Naruto and Uzu too?

Her eyes widened. How did they find us so quickly?

“Sasuke. Come back to Konoha.” Uzu heard Naruto say as he looked at Sasuke.

Sasuke just laughed and said: “And why would I ever do that?”

She heard Naruto grit his teeth next to her: “Because that’s your home. Our home.”

“You are wrong. Naruto, you are too naïve …” Sasuke said.

And then the two were silently staring at each other. One in contempt, the one other with sadness, anger and something else that Uzu couldn’t decipher.

Uzu activated her Sharingan and looked at the two people in front of her.

Obito … or, is this even Obito? This could also be Tobi. Or Madara? Sigh, I’ve forgotten whether this truly is Obito.

Uzu activated her mangekyo and let some chakra flow into it.

“Oh? Who are you. You are no Uchiha. How did you get that?!” Sasuke shouted.

Beside him, Obito said: “You are the one that killed Danzo, aren’t you?”

Uzu’s Sharingan met with Obito’s and she whispered: “Kotoamatsukami.”

He stiffened for a second, apparently being caught in her genjutsu.

It should have worked.

He was brainwashed by Madara … maybe the kotoamatsukami can … undo that? Or rather, bring back his earlier, childhood self?

Well, there’s also the curse seal on his heart to think about … within time, I could probably remove it, or at least …

Oh?

Uzu watched as the chakra she sent towards his eye through her own was absorbed.

Rinnegan, huh. Why doesn’t he show it thought, if he already has it?

“Young lady, that’s a dangerous genjutsu you have there. That eye, it was formerly Danzo’s, right?” Obito/Madara/Tobi asked.

“That’s right. Who are you?” Uzu asked.

“My name is … Madara Uchiha.” Obito said.

“One of the founders?!” Yamato said next to her.

“You are right. Though, it is time for us to leave, Sasuke.” Obito/Madara said.

Sasuke nodded: “That’s right, we have important things to do after all.”

Sasuke sent one last look at Naruto before Obito’s eye spun and they vanished as though reality warped around them.

Just like Kakashi’s kamui, Uzu observed.

And then the two were gone.

Uzu looked at Naruto, who only sighed and closed his eyes.

“Nar-“ Sakura wanted to say.

“Let’s go back to Konoha. We’ll see him again sooner or later, it shouldn’t be easy to bring him back anyway. It hasn’t been easy before and it shouldn’t be easy now.” Naruto said, opening his eyes again and looking at Uzu.

Uzu nodded and sent some more chakra into her raven, making it grow to thrice its former size.

“Get on.” She said, looking at Sakura’s team below.

After everyone finally got onto the raven’s head, the raven took flight, destroying the forest surrounding them with its powerful wings.

A/N: There we go. Today’s chapter!

It’s getting increasingly harder to write actually … I really don’t want to drop this, but I might need to take a break? Anyway, I’d like to get a backlog of a few chapters, but that seems kind of impossible right now :P

Either way, I probably won’t be able to keep up with that daily chapter thing. Sorry!

47