2. Sedan Chair
434 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Second chapter. Please enjoy <3

Jun Yunru was jolted awake by an intense sensation of nausea. A flood of bitterness crowded his burning throat while his stomach churned painfully. He instinctively held on to the first thing he saw, a curtain. As he struggled to contain his desire to vomit, he belatedly noticed that he was swaying, or rather that his room was swaying. The back and forth movement only served to aggravate his nausea, making it harder for him to swallow back his saliva.

Through slightly blurred eyes, he bewilderingly came to the conclusion that this place, wherever it was, couldn't be a room. It was simply too small. His confused ash-colored gaze swept through the interior of the structure. He took in the white cedarwood walls, the low roof and the dark purple curtains draped over two opposite windows. A glint of enlightenment flashed within his disoriented mind.

This was the inside of a sedan chair.

Next, the ger looked down at his body. He noticed that he was wearing cyan robes with white bamboo patterns and a long orange outer coat. Something about these clothes felt vaguely familiar but before he could think any further, his attention was promptly snatched by the sight of his own hands.

They looked like the slender, clean hands of a young scholarly noble. The fingers were long and delicate, as if they were made to hold a painting brush. The skin looked soft and flawless, no callouses or scars in sight.

But how could it be? His hands had long been ruined by embroidery needles during his time in the Cold Palace. Even later when he turned into a wandering ghost and was no longer a fool, he could still see the scars on his transparent skin.

He traced his fingers across his palms and was belatedly taken aback by the fact that he could touch and feel himself. He had roamed the Imperial Palace in a pellucid form for so many days that he became accustomed to being invisible. Back then, he could neither touch nor physically feel anything. No one seemed to see him or hear his presence either.

But now, everything felt excessively solid and real.

A million thoughts raced across Jun Yunru's mind. One ridiculous thought, in particular, stood out to him. Out of a mixture of curiosity and dread, he pulled the curtain on his right aside and stuck his head outside. What greeted him was the sight of familiar grand red walls, green pillars and yellow-tiled roofs.

Unblinkingly, Jun Yunru continued to stare at those endless vermilion walls, almost as if he was waiting for them to develop mouths and speak up. The walls however remained stubbornly silent. Suddenly, Jun Yunru was overcome by the overwhelming urge to laugh.

He laughed once then twice. The sound reverberated clearly inside the tight space of the sedan chair; the ring of mania that clang to the ger's uneven cackles did not escape the ears of those outside.

"Stop, stop!" A crisp female voice, that sounded achingly familiar to Jun Yunru's ears, rung out.

The sedan chair swayed and shook for a moment before it stabilized. Jun Yunru unceremoniously tumbled out of the tight space, leaned over and vomited what felt like his heart right on the paved ground.

Immediately, nimble hands began to wipe off the sloppy mess of sweat, tears and saliva from his pale face. The owner of these gentle hands whispered to him, the concern in her voice evident, "Young Master, are you alright? Would you like to rest for a while?"

Jun Yunru looked up. His long, umber-black eyebrows creased as his eyes settled on the servant girl in front of him. "Zhang Min," He called to her, voice uneven and lips slightly quivering.

"Nubi is here." She returned his uncertain gaze, offering him a small smile readily.

Swallowing down the storm of emotions raging within his chest, Jun Yunru shut his eyes for moment and then reopened them. Zhang Min was still there, fixing him with a look full of care and genuine concern. A look he hadn't seen on that lovely-looking face since the day she was beaten to death outside Consort Gui's palace.

But somehow, she stood well and alive in front of him. Moreover, she could see and touch him. Was he dreaming? But how could that be? Ghosts did not dream.

Zhang Min, who must have mistaken the unsettled look in his for anxiety at being in the Imperial Palace, took his hand and guided him to take shade under the tall, red walls. She took out a red date from a snack pouch hidden on her light yellow dress and placed it against his mouth. "Here, Young Master should eat this to drive out the taste of vomit."

Jun Yunru's eyes burned but he held back his tears. He happily opened his mouth and chewed on the sugary fruit. He didn't remember red dates ever tasting this sweet.

Zhang Min smoothed out some of the wrinkles on his slightly disheveled robes before she started to speak, "Nubi knows Young Master has always hated sedan chairs because they make you sick. But what can we do? This sedan chair was bestowed on you by Her Highness Imperial Noble Consort Wei herself. Nubi wishes we could refuse it but Young Master cannot afford to offend her."

Jun Yunru, who was still debating if this young and healthy Zhang Min was but a mere fragment of his imagination, suddenly stiffened. The pupils within his gray eyes contracted like those of a cat who had caught the enticing scent of prey. "Imperial Noble Consort Wei?"

"Yes." Zhang Min bobbed her head, "She was the one who invited Young Master after all."

Wait, did he somehow travel back in time? Could that truly happen?

Before he also didn't believe in ghosts but in the end, he had become one. Was this the doing of the gods? Did they take pity on his soul and decided to reincarnate him into a younger version of himself? If not, then how else could he explain what was going on?

Jun Yunru's mind raced. Zhang Min was still alive. That woman, whom Zhang Min had just mentioned, must also still be alive. His maidservant referred to her as Imperial Noble Consort Wei which meant Empress Bai had yet to pass away. Didn't this mean that he had gone back to Emperor Yansheng's reign? Wasn't that ten years ago?

If that was the case, then his uncle, his aunt-in-law and his two older cousins should all still be…alive! The Jun family should still exist!

A crashing wave of relief tingled with sorrow swept through Jun Yunru's body, turning his knees soft. Unable to remain steady on his feet, he nearly tumbled down to the ground if it wasn't for Zhang Min who rushed to support him. "Young Master!"

Jun Yunru's biggest regret in his past life besides the loss of his two unborn children, was the demise of the Jun family. They had been kind enough to taken him in and raise him and yet he repaid them with mistrust and indifference.

From an early age, he foolishly let himself be poisoned by the malicious lies and falsehoods of his maternal family, the Fan family. At one point, they even made him believe that it wasn't the Liang barbarians who killed his parents but his paternal uncle. They painted him to the then impressionable Jun Yunru as this callous, amoral man who would murder his own brother for the sake of the Marquis title.

Thus, even though Jun Yunru grew under the Jun family's roof, he kept them at arm's length his whole life. He never let himself get too close to them, always keeping a wall between him and them despite all of Jun family's attempts at reconciliation. In the end it was he who, with his own very hands, dag the grave into which Emperor Zedong and the Fan family shoved his last remaining kin.

The entire world must have never known a child as unflial as he! Even if he were to carve out his heart and presented it to the Jun family, it still wouldn't be enough to atone for his unforgivable sin. Back then, by the time he realized the truth, it had already been too late to lament or repent. The weight of his sin, of the atrocity he had committed nearly broke his mind. He spent his remaining sane days unable to shut his eyes without seeing the blood-soaked faces of his paternal family.

But now, he had come back! He still could atone for his sins. Whether his return in time was a dream or a pity from the gods, Jun Yunru didn't care. He would still use any means he had in this second lease of life to repay the Jun family. He would protect them all from those hungry wolves that sought to tear their fu apart. And in his quest, he would also make Empress Dowager Wei for taking his children away from him. That evil witch denied His Du'er and Feng'er the right to live even before they could come into the world. He must collect his debts from her and her son who watched it all by without lifting a finger.

This time, he would not bear any regrets!

Jun Yunru squeezed Zhang Min's very real and solid hand, "I am alright. No need to worry."

Seeing as Zhang Min addressed him as neither Taizifei (A/N: Crown Prince's official spouse) nor Chen Wangfei (A/N: Prince of Chen's official spouse), Jun Yunru could safely guess that the present him had yet to be betrothed and married.

Emperor Zedong's personal name was Tian Renshu. He was the only biological son of Imperial Noble Consort Wei, conferred the title Chen Wang by Emperor Yansheng when he came of age at eighteen. He was later established as Crown Prince after the untimely death of Empress Bai's only son, the first Crown Prince Tian Huang. When Jun Yunru married Tian Renshu, he was still Chen Wang back then.

During his very first trip to the Imperial Palace, Jun Yunru did remember being so nervous that he struggled with nausea the entire time. The sedan chair only made it worse. Back then, he still remained clueless of so many things. Imperial Noble Consort Wei was well aware of his motion sickness and yet she still sent him a sedan chair to pick him up. She never wanted Jun Yunru for her precious son from the very start. This only became clearer to him years later.

The reason he was even considered for the Chen Wangfei position in the first place was because of the late Empress Dowager. She was the one who recommend him to then Imperial Noble Consort Wei as a marriage prospect for her son, Chen Wang. Imperial Noble Consort Wei, pressured by the Empress Dowager, had no choice but to 'invite' him. She then proceeded to find all sorts of faults with him, nitpicking at his posture, his voice, his looks and pretty much his everything. After bullying and humiliating him, she then went to Emperor Yansheng and claimed that he was too 'mild' and 'lenient' for the position of Wangfei. Well, jokes on her as the Empress Dowager eventually had her way and he did end up entering the Chen Wangfu as the official spouse.

Bringing his focus back to the present, Jun Yunru glanced at his still frowning maidservant and decided to add few words to reassure her further, "I was just a bit dizzy from the motion sickness. I am already feeling better."

Seeing that her Young Master was somewhat steadier on his feet, Zhang Min sighed in relief. "Would Young Master like to rest for a bit here?"

Noticing the curious looks from the passing palace staff, the ger hardened his resolve and shook his head, "No, we will keep going."

But first, he had something he needed to confirm. He tracked his gaze back to Zhang Min and asked, "Had His Highness the Crown Prince set out on his expedition to Western Zhou yet?"

Zhang Min pursed her lips, appearing unsure as to why her Young Master was asking her about such a thing. Still, she lowered her voice and answered with what little knowledge she had, "Not yet. The people at the marketplace said that Her Highness Empress Bai is against the Crown Prince leaving the capital. She wants to hold him back but the Crown Prince is adamant to set out and prove himself. His Majesty has already given his tacit approval so it would be a matter of time before His Highness the Crown Prince departs."

Jun Yunru smiled, however there was no warmth in his smile. The rising corner of his lips had an icy sharpness to it, like the edge of a curved steel dagger. "While we are at it, we might as well pay her Highness the Empress a visit after meeting Imperial Noble Consort Wei. Such a convenient visit to the Imperial Palace should not be wasted."

As Zhang Min looked at her smiling Young Master, she suddenly felt an unexplainable chill against her skin, almost as if winter had decided to come before its time. Deciding to shrug off this strange feeling, she instead focused on helping her Young Master back into the sedan chair.

The four small eunuchs hauled up the sedan chair over their strong shoulders and continued on in their decided journey towards the Palace of Celestial Favor.

----------------------------------------------

In the inner hall of the Palace of Celestial Favor, a beautiful woman in what could have been at most her thirties was lazily reclined on a camphorwood divan. She was clad in exquisitely made Shu brocade the color of dark teal. The ends of her sleeves were trimmed with gold thread while fine, multicolored embroidery of floral patterns decorated the lower part of her skirt. Atop her head sat an elaborate gold crown with an eight-tailed phoenix hairpin.

A personal maidservant offered her a steaming teacup and she took it, leisurely sipping its content.

"Nubi doesn't understand what the Empress Dowager's intentions are. Why would Her Highness specifically recommend the ger of the Jun family to Young Master (A/N : she is referring to Chen Wang)?" grumbled the maidservant while she knelt down to massage her mistress's feet.

Consort Wei glanced at the girl. A hint of ridicule in her almond-shaped eyes, "How long have you been serving in the Imperial Palace? Do you truly not understand?"

The maidservant smiled sheepishly, "It is not that nubi doesn't understand. It is that nubi can't see the point."

Consort Wei sighed, as if exasperated with her maidservant's limited intellect, "The Jun family has been greatly weakened after the death of the late Marquis. They are no longer as powerful as they once were. Moreover, they are a family with a long history of neutrality. They had always been loyal to the Emperor, unconcerned with factions and infighting. In other words, even if they give their ger nephew to my son, that doesn't mean they will support him. As long as the Empress Dowager saddles my son with the Jun ger, my Shu'er will not be a threat to the Crown Prince. Now, do you understand?"

"Nubi now understands. Many thanks for niang-niang (A/N: A term of address for imperial concubines including the Empress) enlightening this lowly slave." The smile on the maidservant's dimmed a bit as she added, "Nubi has heard that gers are quite rare. Although it takes them longer to conceive, they have a higher chance of producing sons than women."

"The Jun ger isn't the only available ger in the capital," replied Consort Wei with a pointed tone.

"That is true. There are still the unmarried gers of the Fan and the Liu families. But if niang-niang has no plan to let the Jun ger marry Young Master, why did niang-niang invite him?"

An enigmatic smile stretched across Consort Wei's tastefully rouged lips. She had yet to answer when another, albeit older maidservant came into room and dutifully informed her, "Your Highness, the Third Young Master of the Jun fu, Jun Yunru, has arrived."

Consort Wei didn't shift her posture, continuing to comfortably recline on her divan. She simply waved a hand, wordlessly allowing the maidservant to let in their anticipated guest.

A young slender ger, draped in elegant yet simplistic attire, walked into the room. A servant girl in light yellow trailed behind him.

As he walked his gait was exceptionally steady, neither fast nor slow. His head was dipped at the appropriate angle. His back was perfectly straight without appearing stiff. His hands were folded correctly over his chest and his feet made no sound as they ate up the distance between him and Consort Wei.

At the right spot, he fell to his knees before her and kowtowed once. The flow of his movement was smooth and unhurried. His maidservant followed in his steps. "This lowly ger greets Your Highness, Imperial Noble Consort Wei."

Such a flawless demeanor without the barest hint of a wasted movement. Consort Wei's carefully drawn brows twitched slightly. Wasn't she told that the Jun ger was a timid and fumbling little thing? What was exactly ungraceful about this perfectly mannered ger in front of her?

Suppressing a sense of annoyance she didn't quite understand, Consort Wei spoke in a well-practiced voice that sounded warm but truly wasn't. "Please rise, Third Jun gongzi (A/N: young master/noble)." She threw a glance at her maidservant, "Quickly, offer a seat."

The Jun ger seated himself on the offered mahogany chair and fixed his eyes on the table between him and Consort Wei. Consort Wei resisted the urge to bite her lip. He knew not to look directly at her, such impeccable etiquette. How was she supposed to find fault and humiliate such as a perfectly behaved guest?

"Jun gongzi, do look up. Let bengong (A/N: A self-address for imperial concubines including the Empress) take a look at you."

He obediently looked up and Consort Wei was inwardly startled by how pleasant his face was. A Clear, fair complexion. A forehead that was neither too high nor too low. A pair of long, slanted eyes beneath umber-black lashes. A cinnabar dot with a satisfyingly crimson shade underneath one eye. A jade-like nose that was small but not too delicate. Refined cheekbones and cherry lips that looked full but not too full. A smooth jawline that could cut jade and a shapely chin with a polished edge.

Such a face could easily be called heavenly if it wasn't for the ger's eyebrows. They were slightly thicker than usual and they sat too low atop his exotic gray eyes, giving off a piercing impression. Combined with the long and narrow edges of his eyes, his charm no longer appeared tender. Instead, he came off as aloof and cold with a hint of a fox-like temperament.

His eyes which looked at Consort Wei were like a limpid autumn lake. There wasn't a single ripple to be seen upon its still surface. The undisturbed calm in his gray depths unnerved Consort Wei on an instinctual level. She could neither read nor see through this young ger opposite her and she disliked that.

At first, she didn't want the Jun ger for her son because his paternal family wasn't strong enough to support her son's road to the throne. But now, she was even more adamant to keep him away from the Chen Wangfu. Something about this ger youth set the little hairs on her neck standing. She had survived for many years in the Inner Palace not only due to her looks and her wits but also thanks to her sharp instincts. She would never disregard what her intuition conveyed to her.

This Jun ger wouldn't be easy to deal with and therefore, he must not enter her son's Wangfu.

"Zhi Rou, give the blood-pearl hairpin and the white jade bracelet His Majesty has recently sent over to Jun gongzi."

The maidservant, Zhi Rou, handed Jun Yunru an open accessory box of precious sandalwood. The ger took it gratefully with a bowed head, "This lowly ger thanks Your Highness." His voice was soft and gentle, with a soothing coolness to it which only served to irk Consort Wei further. Everything about this ger youth was too perfect for her tastes. She didn't want to lay eyes upon him any longer.

"Bengong hopes Jun gongzi finds these small trinkets to his likening. Please, send bengong's regards to Jun furen (A/N : Madam/Lady)." She tactfully dismissed him.

Jun Yunru stood up, "On behalf of his aunt-in-law, this lowly ger conveys his thanks to Your Highness. A thousand years of fortune and good health for Your Highness."

Consort Wei maintained a generous smile as she watched the ger bid her farewell with another bow. The moment he and his maidservant were guided out of her palace, her smile instantly dropped.

A glint of fury flashed within her deep, dark eyes. When was the last time someone dared to lie to her? The ger's maternal aunt, Fan shi (N/A: shi is a suffix added to a married woman's name, refers to her clan/family name) had clearly told her that her nephew was a useless, timid thing, easy to bully. But in what way was this Jun ger easy to bully? Was this woman of a mere seventh-ranked official's family trying to make fun of her? Was she tired of living?

Consort Wei's mood, which had been carefree before meeting Jun Yunru, was ruined for the rest of day.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. How does the story feel like so far?

 

12