Chapter 4 – Adventures of the Modern World
2.6k 8 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4 – Adventures of the Modern World

“It might be something that might turn reality upside down for you but here goes nothing.” Shousuke stated, a solid determination evident in those words. Puck had known that this was going to be serious. Shousuke then had subsequently reached over and pulled on the strange knob present within this ‘shower room’ that was bound to the wall. “We’ll discuss it while I bathe.”

 

“So what is the big revelation that you have been keeping from me, Emilia?” Puck inquired, awed by the apparatus over-head that was dispensing warm/hot water. If he had one of these back at the Roswaal estate, it would make bathing much less of a hassle for the residents and his daughter. He did not show amusement on his face though, as they would be inappropriate for the discussion they were currently having. Shousuke had mused over the thought on where to start this conversation. Stepping into the stream of water.

“There is a little saying that goes and I quote ‘What actions and faults we have overcome, our struggles... It matters not as all is pioneered and cleverly crafted orchestration to fulfill the never ending greed of destiny and fate.’” Shousuke had stated, she could not remember who or what had exactly had quoted this but it had stuck to her mind since she was in Junior High. Puck had scowled at this exchanged as it had brought back memories from the Frozen Elven Forest. (AN: If you haven’t watched Re:Zero: Frozen Bond, I highly recommend you to do so before season 2.)

“We have already rejected our fate and we’ll continue to do so again. You should now better than anyone that we are masters of our own fate. Destiny is tied to fate, as it allows others to see the path we have carved out by our actions and motivations.” Puck interjected, clearly displeased by the sudden turn of events.

“That’s where you are wrong. You see, our destiny has already been predetermined by something, or rather someone who wants to provide entertainment based on our highest graces, and our lowest grievings. It would best to show you his works once we go to the clothing store with Adam in his pickup truck. However, the name you should engrave into your mind is Tappei Nagatsuki. He is the puppet master behind all the events that have transpired thus far throughout our lives and our creator as well. We owe our suffering thanks to him. ” Shousuke culminated, deciding to leave it off on a footnote here.

“If what you’re saying is true, then having a nice long chat with this Tappei character would be at the top of our bucket list, correct?” Puck had affirmed, a sinister grin crawling over his face that sent chills down Shousuke spine.

“Oh the ‘soap’ in this container smells good, smells like toasted cinnamon with a hint of spice.” Puck’s personality shifted as he held the bottle up close to his nose, setting alarm bells off in Shousuke’s head.

“These soap brands are pretty cheap and effective too.” Shousuke had added, not mentioning the fact that this soap was supposed to be directed at men.

Composing herself with a smile on her face, Shousuke had decided to gather up a lather of Old-Spice bodywash, making vibrant sweeps through the different parts of her figure with her loofah. Closing in on towards the clitoris area, she found the anatomy to be rather peculiar and much more sensitive than her original male body’s genitals. Touching it created a jolt of electrifying ecstasy, Shousuke doing everything she could to hold back a moan. At least that how it was for Emilia’s body. ‘Future reference, be extra careful cleaning Emilia’s privates.

“Ok, dully noted… For now we’ll settle the Tappei matter later as this person exists in a far eastern country called Japan. It’s where my soul before merging with Emilia had come from. It is a beautiful country with vibrant luscious cherry trees, shrines, delicious culinary, cultural preservation, and tradition. Subaru is from that country and this era as well.” Shousuke noted, Japan has been a place that will always hold a special place in her heart. It is where she was born after all.

“Subaru did mention that he hailed from a distant eastern country even though Lugnica was the most distant country there is. To think that he had come from another world as well, that sneaky little rascal. Why didn’t he tell us?” Puck sneered, hurt by the fact that there were many things that Subaru was hiding from him and Lia. His [Empath] power could only read the surface thoughts and intentions of individuals, not read their entire minds. Shousuke stood silent for a second as she rinsed off the soapy residue on her body.

“Probably because he thought you guys wouldn’t believe him. Who would if you weren’t in his shoes?” Shousuke had inquired, emphasizing the much needed answer to that question.

“[Empath] would have confirmed whether or not he’s lying. There would have been no need to hold back letting us getting to know him.” Puck had debated, dumbfounded by Shousuke’s argument. Shousuke had then reached over to pick up the Head and Shoulders shampoo off the shower caddie. Getting a fresh lather in as she stroked the formula down her already soft silver hair. Puck helping her out in the process as he made his way down the mid sects and tips of her hair.

“But what if there was exterior force that had driven him back during your relationship with him? What if there were secrets he wanted to tell but he couldn’t because of a certain curse.” Shousuke had disputed, hoping to bring this back and forth to an end.

“The Witch’s Curse? The smell emanating off his soul is so strong, it’s was nauseating. Does he know what the curse is?” Puck had inquired, something wasn’t sitting with him right about curse that Subaru had. He had not known the extent of the curse’s influences as it grew more rampant with each passing day that they’ve known him. This had put Puck on high alert, while he and Betty had tried to determine what the root source of it was. And whether nor not they could seal it or remove it. Betty had tried dismiss it as a suitable punishment for a fool’s folly, but even she could not deny that her curiosity was piqued by the aura it was boasting off. It was as if it was calling for her.

“I do not know the ramifications of me uttering the description of the curse in this world since this body does not belong here. But he does know the extent of his curse. While you may not realize it, he had undergone a tremendous labor of torment that no man should ever have to go through. The name of our life-story is called Re:Zero – Starting Live in Another World. It is an animated moving picture set that consists of vibrant color palettes, characters, and a well directed story. Seeing it in person as the characters in that story would be the ultimate of metas.” Shousuke had flamboyantly annotated, causing Puck to raise an eyebrow.

“Meta…? Don’t you mean metia?” Puck stated, puzzled by the fact that Shousuke might have butchered its pronunciation. Shousuke shaking her head as the water droplets in her hair pitched around lightly. A cascade of soapy water dripped to the porcelain base of the shower as she decided it was time to rinse it off as well. Well not long before Puck had started applying the finishing touches around her hair. Shousuke deciding to give in and let Puck do what’s best.

“No… Meta, it’s a word in our languages, it basically refers to self-referential comparisons between the character and their awareness that they are in a story or subjected to another story. We happen to refer it as a fourth wall break.” Shousuke elucidated, drowning out the confusion between the two. ‘Fourth wall-breaking, isn’t there a parody anime that includes Re:Zero along with many other series joining universes that involves the characters interacting with each other. I’ll probably have to look it up later.’ Shousuke pondered, another anime being added onto her watch list.

“My bad… Wait, didn’t you guys have a huge metia on the wall in that one spacious guest room? Subaru always had that gray metia that had indicated when the Whale of Gluttony would appear.” Puck questioned, his curiosity piqued by the devices he had been exposed to.

“That is not a metia, as metia involve the use of magic. What that apparatus is called a Television, or TV for short. It allows us to see moving pictures without still frames powered by a light-source that would illuminate these liquid holding cells within the panel. To put it simply, these liquids are a special formula that changes color when an electrical or in your case a lightning current is applied through each holding cell. The lightning current comes out of a power-source that is hooked up on a wall. Remember how windmills and watermills would generate power for your everyday farming and lumber necessities back in Lugnica? Take that concept and apply it to an industrial scale with our modern resources and you basically have the gist of it.” Shousuke had explained, Puck awed by the exposition, fascinated by how the wheel in this world made made such an intricate system. Shousuke had decided to proceed on with her explanation as she finally decided to get out of the shower. Fetching the towel that hanging on the rack and wrapping it around her to dry herself off. “I have a similar device to Subaru’s ‘metia’ but it’s much bigger. What he has is called a flip phone. Although the phone industry has advanced beyond such a keepstake, he was most likely someone who had come from a poor background and could only afford such a device. If you thought that Subaru’s phone was impressive, wait until you see mine.” Shousuke stated, boasting about her smartphone he had kept in his room during this whole ordeal. However, a natural impulse had overcome her before she could take any steps forward.

“Ummm, Puck. I’ve really been holding it back, but it looks like I’m at my limit.” Shousuke had fidgeted as she said this. Realization had dawned on Puck.

“Toilet?”

“Yes...” Puck had shook his head in disapproval as he started drifting towards the bathroom’s door.

“I’ll be outside if you need anything.” Puck stated impartially, with his back turn. ‘You’re fine with getting into the bath with me and seeing my nude body but this is your limit? Well, it’s not like I don’t mind other people’s privacy anyways and practice the golden rule when using the public restrooms.’ Shousuke had felt a wave of relief as she did her business while humming along to a One Ok Rock song, satisfied that urinating felt the same for both genders, even with Emilia’s oversensitive body. Cleaning herself up and changing into her new set of clothes, she had stepped out of the bathroom. ‘At least this girl lacks body hair all around. One added benefit of not shaving today I guess.’ She then only met the presence of an agitated Puck.

“You sure seem like you enjoyed yourself in there.” Puck stated, as his brows twitched. Shousuke had dismissed the remark.

“Can’t be helped, I was on the verge of wetting myself anyways. I only decided to hold back simply because I was a little wary of my first time experiencing it. It’s a little embarassing” Shousuke whined, slightly embarrassed that she still couldn’t come to grips with her reality just yet. Puck sighed in defeat, like a parent being disappointed in their kid.

“Well, you’ve been meaning to show me your metia. Well, where is it?” Puck stated, slightly annoyed, causing Shousuke in turn to become a little annoyed by this cat’s attitude with her. Deciding to set aside her annoyance, she gestured towards a room that was on the left.

“Right this way...” Shousuke directed, motioning for Puck to follower her as she ambled through the corridor, entering her bedroom. “And this is my room.”

“It looks pretty plain to me” Puck candidly stated, Shousuke’s eye twitched at the insult. Deciding to ignore the petty remark, she had hovered over to the nightstand where her phone was left to charge. With a firm stance, she had decided to preset to Puck her smartphone the way a car dealer would preset a car to a customer. “And this is my phone… A smartphone, as we would call it in the modern age. Pioneered by a business called Siemens that presented the foundation for the colored smartphone. It paved way for countless phone competitors to reach the market such as Samsung and Apple and as been a long journey since then. The current year right now is 2019 which means it’s been at least 24 years ever since the first smartphone had ever come into fruition. Though the first smartphone did not have a colored screen/panel for it though it did show moving pictures in it.” Shousuke had added, giving in more exposition than what was needed for Puck to fundamentally understand the concept of it.

With a blank look, Puck had thought himself ‘this kid is definitely an annoying scholar when it comes to technological grips. Definitely not the Lia that I know. Remind me more of Subaru’s antics... “Well, what does it do?”

“Here, let me show you...” Shousuke stated, as she guided him through her phone. To say the features that it had compared to Subaru’s metia did astound him to say the least. The pictures on this device were so clear, it would have confused the cat familiar into thinking that he was staring at a reflection of himself. After after getting adjusted to the features of this world, he had slowly started to grow more intimate with his surrounds. After a few minutes of tech-savvy Emilia later, they had finally decided that it was time to head to the clothing store with Adam. Adam had been washing some of the dishes he had previously accumulated from cooking himself some French Toast, leaving some for Shousuke on another plate. Shousuke had decided to gobble them up as fast as possible to account for the time lost during Puck’s induction to the modern world. They had finally navigated out the door and into Adam’s Ford F-150 pick-up truck.

“We’re getting on that?” Puck inquired perplexed, seeing how this metal carriage was not drawn by Land Dragon. “Does it move?”

“Of course it does, there is an engine inside that metal slab that generates power for the transmission to turn the wheel axles down at the bottom. See?” Adam added, opening the hood of the truck to point out the specifications. He was aware that Puck is still not accommodated to the modern world yet, so he decided to add his two cents into the fray.

“At this point, what is there left to surprise me?” Puck stated, already growing exhausted by one revelation after another. Yet, it wasn’t even 5 in the afternoon yet. It mattered not as the mana in the air would help him regenerate relief for his already pent up stress.

“Re:Zero’s story – no OUR story...” Shousuke’s pointed out, Puck remembered that Shousuke was going to have him watch how their conception had started. Apparently it was going to be told from Subaru’s prospective. It was something that Puck had been disappointed in, because his whole world revolved around Emilia and not told from her perspective. But at least he’ll be able to see how Subaru came to love Emilia. Getting into the truck, they headed off towards their destination with Emilia in the passenger’s seat next to Adam while he played Metallica through the speakers at a low volume. For courtesy’s sake, this allowed Shousuke to have Puck witness the suffering that’s about to unfold within Subaru’s life. Some of the episodes, he couldn’t even conceive to remember how those events unfolded, but he was glad that Subaru had done everything in his power to save Emilia’s life. He now knew that had based his entire commitment into preserving Emilia’s smile. For that, Subaru has Puck’s infinite gratitude. By the time, they had reached the clothing store linked to a strip mall they were at towards the near end of Episode 2.

“We’ll stop here for now.” Shousuke stated, pausing the anime before she jumping out of the truck to stretch her back. She had taken a look around her surroundings noticing how much bigger they actually were. While Shousuke’s height was average for a male. This drop in height for her female body had been a considerable difference. ‘I didn’t pay that much attention to my height before but now, I’m starting to notice the difference...’ She had mused to herself, shrugging off the issue for now. “Well it looks like we’re here.” She declared to her 2 companions.

“Not that I want to be a party pooper of some sort, but wouldn’t people notice that a floating cat would be weird?” Adam stated, considering how the bystanders around them would perceive the trio.

“Well shit… Puck, into my pocket you go.” Shousuke had ordered, wanting to cull the anomaly so that people wouldn’t awestruck by the cat. ‘Well to be fair, most people would find my pearly silver hair, amethyst eyes, elven ears, and unnatural beauty to be out of this world. So I guess I wouldn’t be doing Puck justice. Then again, a floating cat would definitely freak people out. I don’t want to draw any more unneeded attention then I probably will in a couple of minutes.’ Shousuke has settled on this, bringing peace to her mind.

“Well, it can’t be helped. This society has never seen the aspect of magic, so it would probably be better if I go back into the pendant for now. Call me again once we reach our testing grounds. Oh and Adam, you’re responsible for her safety for now. So if I see you double-crossing her, I will personally see your death.” Puck announced, slowly drifting into a stasis as spiritual particles started seceding into nothingness. Leaving behind a gaping Adam as Shousuke chuckled to herself. ‘Well, that worked out better than I expected.’ Shousuke mused to herself, assumed by the sudden turn of events.

“Well Adam, I’ll apparently be in your care...” Shousuke jested, Adam groaning in response.

“Why me…? What did I ever do to deserve this? Why does he always have a attitude towards me?” Adam cried, mewling over the fact that there was an overprotective father that could quite literally destroy him with a snap of his fingers if he so wished it to happen. He had been reading Re:Zero spoilers ever since Shousuke had become Emilia, not happy with the current turn of events.

“Alright, let’s get this over with.” Shousuke exclaimed with a hint of excitement in her voice.

43