#5. The Dragon and The Snake
681 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The intense floral fragrance almost overwhelmed Candace’s senses; its putrid omnipresent nature a sign of the imperial palace grotesqueness. Why try so hard if there wasn’t something rotten beneath? Candace thought longingly of her Aethopian home’s smell of fresh breeze and sea salt. She’d return to the Yura continent two years ago but in the short five years she had lived there, Aethopia had become her home. Now she was back here surrounded by people who she did not resemble, entering the harem of a man she considered truly repulsive.

“Her Lady Candace Bravesman,” a voice called, and Candace snapped out of her thoughts before advancing from the other concubines joining the harem so the Lithos Emperor could see her. The emperor gave her a cursory glance before turning away, displeased with her dark skin and braided hair. Candace did not feel offended, it would make things easier if he were not attracted to her.

Although she did not attract his attention, for a second, she felt someone else’s gaze. Still bowing, she returned back to her former position before looking in the gaze’s direction. Green eyes. Her eyes clashed with the empress looking straight at her, no sign of her previous apathy at the emperor’s open fondling of the other concubines. However, this matched gaze lasted for only a moment before the empress turned away in resumed indifference and Candace lowered her eyes.

Still, a look was enough to engrave an image. The empress was stunningly beautiful. Red curly hair to her waist, shocking green eyes, perfectly shaped fingers. Yet despite her beauty, no ornament adorned her. No rings, earrings, bangles. She wasn’t even wearing the jewelled crown that was her right as empress. Instead, she was dressed in a plain white garment. Not a pattern nor drop of colour was found on this robe, yet it was completely clean, free of any stain or blemish. This clothing would have dulled another person but on her it emphasised her presence, adding an impression of purity. No one could ignore her; she was beautiful yet aloof. Otherworldly.

Seeing Lucy like this reminded her of their brief public meetings at their academy. There she had been clearly set apart and everyone had known it. Both of them had been in different social circles, crossing paths in hallways but barely speaking. She had been the empress to be and Candace had been the daughter of a rich yet out of favour merchant. There was obviously nothing they had in common. Still didn’t prevent anyone from wanting her. Looks like what they had said about her wearing only white after her third miscarriage was true.

For a second, Candace pitied her former classmate but stopped after sneaking another look at her. What was there to pity, after all she still was the most powerful woman in the nation, coming from an ancient ducal family. Lucy will be just fine; it was herself she needed to worry about.

The ceremony came to an end shortly afterwards. The emperor spoke to her for a few moments more about the enticing gifts her family sent from the Cush continent, his noises implying that he would favour her family more but as he dismissed her and focused on the other women, Candace was certain that he had already forgotten her and her family. Robert would never call on her. It was a good thing that she was not here for his favour.

X*O*o*O*X​

Lucy dipped her brush into ink, focusing her attention on the painting that was beginning to emerge. The brush and easel had been a present from Robert two years ago on her twenty fourth birthday. She should have known then that something was suspicious. Robert was horrible at knowing what she liked but he had been correct twice before – with a rare book for her twenty first and a pair of green diamond earrings for her twenty third. She had lost children in those years as well.

No, that’s not true. She hadn’t lost them; he had stolen them. It wasn’t like she hadn’t been guarded after the first ‘coincidence’ but no matter what she did, he had still managed to rip them out of her hands. The last one had almost lasted 4 months.

“Bastard,” she said frustratingly and made a red splotch on her easel. Instead of a rose with thorns, it became a rose bleeding. Choked and suffocated by its thorns. Lucy looked at her transformed painting before smiling manically. It wasn’t as if it was a lie. Robert really was choking everyone to death. Herself, her children, the country. And now Candace.

Lucy felt anger again at the thought of Candace kneeling and performing the imperial harem entrance ceremony. The Candace she’d known had been vibrant and vivacious, refusing to prostrate or submit to anyone, valiantly forging her path. And now she just like everyone else had bowed to the emperor. Deep in her heart, she felt some disappointment before feeling guilt. She knew nothing about Candace’s experiences in Cush. Still, she had always expected Candace to be different and she had been. She had never seen anyone else who seemed to be utterly uncaring of other people’s thoughts. If she had been Candace with her dark skin, and hair type, she would have been completely self-conscious. But Candace had been – seemed – free. It was why she had been well liked at school. Her comportment and freedom had attracted people from all backgrounds –nobility, merchants, craftsmen – to her. It was only people from the higher noble ranks that resisted her allure.

They had been neither friends, allies nor enemies as they were not in the same social circle but Lucy had longed for her confidence even as she prepared to become the empress of a man seven years her senior with a horrible reputation. And then Candace’s mother died, and she moved to Aethopia. The last time Lucy saw her, Candace had had a haggard look on her face.

Lucy shook her head and tried to refocus on her painting when she heard a thudding sound like something falling on the roof. She paused her actions, her brush dripping red paint from its position in the air. She looked warily around as if she expected an assassin to manifest out of thin air. She would not have been surprised. She was expecting to have an ‘accident’ anytime soon. Robert was getting irritated and bored by her mourning and lack of sex. He had also becoming increasingly wary about her maiden family and had limited their power.

She waited for a moment before resuming her previous actions. “I must have been hearing things,” She said aloud, “Someone landing on the roof is ridiculous.” She put her brush down before casually picking up something next to it and turning around to confront her attacker.

“Hey,” Candace said smiling, her blade at Lucy’s throat, “You should be careful with that.” She inclined her head towards the dagger with which Lucy had tried her attack. “That’s very sharp.”

“I know,” Lucy said, “It’s meant to be like that.”

Candace scoffed and used her other hand to twist Lucy’s dagger out of her hand. It fell on the floor and Candace quickly kicked it away without looking at it.

“I knew something was suspicious. I guess you’re here to kill me. Hopefully, I can convince you not to.”

“It depends on what you do next.”

Lucy was about to ask what she meant when there was a knock at the door.

“Your Majesty,” somebody said. Lucy recognised him as one of the head imperial guards, “Can we ask some questions?”

“Hmm, I guess I’m not your target. That’s nice,” Lucy mused.

“Don’t tempt me,” Candace replied, “You know what to do.”

Lucy sighed then walked to her door.

“Larus, what’s the problem?”

The guard brightened up at her use of his name before trying to remain professional.

“An assassin fled His Majesty’s chambers, Have you seen or heard anything?”

“Anything?” She said before feeling Candace’s sword point dig in deeper into her skin, “No I’ve heard nothing. Is the emperor alright?”

“He’s fine. He was able to alert the guards before being attacked.”

“Ah that’s good,” She said with a tone of relief, “I’ll definitely tell you if I hear something.”

“Of course, your Majesty,” Larus replied.

Lucy shut the door and waited for a few seconds for the guards to leave before turning to Candace.

“There, I’ve done as you asked. Now can you put away that before someone gets hurt.”

“Maybe someone should get hurt,” Candace said before coming closer to her, her blade’s edge now against her neck. At this close distance, she could count each freckle on Lucy’s cheek. “You’ve got something on your cheek,” Candace said.

“It’s paint. I’m serious, Candace. Put it down.”

“Fine,” Candace said and sheathed her weapon, “As you wish your majesty.”

“Ugh, don’t be like that.”

“Don’t be like what? Tell the truth. You are a royal. You’re the bloody empress.”

“You’re still angry over that? It has been seven years already,” Lucy said with a sigh.

“Oh, so that means that I should just get over it. It’s not everyday that your girlfriend tells you that she’s breaking up with you because she’s getting married to the emperor, coming a few days after your mother gets killed most likely by that emperor, who by the way is a douchebag.”

“Oh, so we are doing this.”

“Oh yes we are,” Candace said breathing heavily. “You look great by the way. Smell good too.”

“Oh, don’t even start.” A pause. “Okay. You want to talk about this? Fine but not in my drawing room. There’s been enough sharp objects here already. Let’s take this to my room.”

“Okay… Nothing to say back.”

“You look good too. I like your braids. Never seen this style before.”

“I learnt it in Aethopia. Lots of people with hair like mine so lots of new styles to learn.”

“I’m glad,” Lucy said a small smile on her face. “You were always worried about being different in school. It’s nice you found the community you were looking for. Well here it is,” Lucy said pointing to a door.

“Woah, you sleep here,” Candace said disturbed.

“Not all the time. Sometimes I bring some bedding to my drawing room and sleep there.”

“Well. This says a lot about you,” said Candace indicating the room’s spotless white layout. Walls, chairs, bed. They were also unstained. There were several paintings on the walls which seemed normal but on closer look appeared utterly odd. Legless maidens drawing water, soldiers with skeletal arms and a queen who seemed to have her colour leached by her crown. Candace focused on the last painting before turning to look at Lucy. “Are you alright?” She asked softly.

“I’m fine,” Lucy responded sharply, “I had to sell the mourning vibe, that’s all.”

“Yeah but you never went without a smattering of green before. You even used to wear green underwear.”

“Well I guess losing three children changes your colour priorities.”

“I’m sorry. Calm down, I’m not judging you. I’m just surprised.”

“That’s rich. That was the first thing you did.”

“Not the first thing. I pointed a sword at you.”

Lucy shook her head. “Very well. But you judged me then and you judge me now.”

“My mother had died, and you were marrying her murderer. Forgive me for being angry.”

“I had no choice. You always knew I would marry him then you turned our last meeting into a fight.”

“I asked you to run away with me.”

“How I could have then? I had a duty to my family; I barely knew myself and you wanted me to leave my home to go another continent when I didn’t even know if we would last. Would you have done it?”

“Yes. I loved you. And you broke my heart.”

Lucy paused at this declaration. “I guess we were just too different. I was too cautious for you.” She turned around to fiddle with some things on the table. “I guess you think I got my comeuppance now. My family’s a shadow of itself and so am I.”

“How can you say that,” Candace said and moved closer to her, “How can this be justice? Your choice wasn’t the one I would have made but that’s between us. Robert doesn’t get to be off the hook. If anyone deserves damnation, it’s him.”

“You won’t find any argument from me there. He’s a monster. Three children, Candace. I had to do it again and again, and he killed them all.”

Candace hugged her from behind. “I’m so sorry,” She said softly. Lucy was still for a few moments before she turned around and buried her face in Candace’s shoulder.

Candace stroked her hair and murmured sounds of comfort, while Lucy cried soundlessly into her shoulder. Every sniffle, every movement of her shoulder stabbed at Candace’s heart and her feelings of pain and sadness disappeared. Seven years was a long time to feel anger towards somebody and Candace had only focused on her anger to forget her hurt at Lucy’s rejection. Every time she had exercised or performed a sword dance or learnt a new routine, she had imagined Lucy and Robert laughing at her naivete. It had been easier to see Lucy as casually carelessly cruel instead of accepting that she’d had no choice. In a twisted way, at least Lucy would have still been happy.

Lucy gave a few more sniffles before detangling from Candace’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, I got some snot on your top.”

“Eurgh,” Candace said in disgust before stepping back and flinging off the top. “Why would you do that to me? –” She started before stopping at the sound of Lucy’s laughter. It was a full-hearted chuckle that took up space in a room drawing everyone’s attention to her. It was—

“Beautiful”, Candace said entranced.

Suddenly, the air in the room changed and Lucy suddenly realised at the same time as Candace that she was in the same room with a woman whose body she’d once known intimately and with whom she still loved.

“I’m sorry,” Lucy said out of the blue, “Maybe I should have run with you. Maybe things would have been better. But I definitely shouldn’t have married the man that caused your mother’s death.”

“Who knows. I’m not certain if my maternal family would have been all that welcoming. They’d lost one of their best warriors because of a Lith. My father was only accepted because he had earned their respect by trying so hard to marry my mother. I don’t think they would have been happy with another Lith or any Yuran, as a matter of fact. Let’s forgive each other and leave it in the past.”

“Now when did dear Candace become so mature,” Lucy said teasingly but there was a suspicious catch in her voice.

“I’ve grown. I think,” She said before continuing tenderly, “Besides, it’s easy to be forgiving to someone you love.”

“Oh, who could that be. Certainly not me who was someone you loved.”

“I love you,” Candace replied stunning Lucy into silence before walking closer to her. “I loved you then. I love you now. You’ve always had my heart. Hell, you’re the main reason why I married him. I mean the assassination was part of it but mostly, I wanted to see you again.”

“How can you be like this,” Lucy said softly, “How can you come into my life and in a matter of minutes effortlessly have me fall in love with you again. Or maybe I just never fell out of love with you.”

Candace opened her mouth to respond but Lucy pressed her lips to hers cutting off her response. Their lips moved against each other for a few seconds before Lucy moved her lips away breathing roughly

“Haven’t we talked enough already. Why don’t we continue our conversation later and do what we’ve wanted to do since you put your blade against my neck. Yes, I noticed your eyes.”

Candace grinned before putting her finger underneath Lucy’s chin and kissing her intensely. “That sounds brilliant to me.”

Their lips met again, tongues twirling as they embraced each other, remembering, rediscovering the other’s body for the first time in seven years.

Hours later, Lucy lay sated in Candace’s embrace, skin flush with the vigorous lovemaking.

“That was…”

“Exquisite,” Candace supplied. Lucy could feel her smile against her skin and smiled in return.

“Show-off.”

“Thank you.”

Lucy spoke up after a while in a low tone, “You know if you asked me now, I would say yes.”

“I would ask but you’re an empress and I’m on a mission.”

“That,” Lucy scoffed, “You’re too reckless. Did you really think I was going to let Robert get away with killing my children? He’s been dying for months; he can’t even entertain his harem. Everything he’s been doing is for show. I bet that within the month he’ll be dead and then my plan to dismantle this harem system will be ready.”

“Wait, what?”

“Yeah. We may be different kinds of people, but we think alike.”

They both chuckled.

“Run away with me,” Candace said softly, “I know it’s no Empire, but the Bravesman Company is a cross-national, cross-continental company which is in sore need of management because I’m horrible at it.”

“That sounds more amazing than what I have but you know that’s not the reason why.”

“Do it for me,” Candace interjected, “For us. Let’s discover who we are together and freely.”

Lucy looked lovingly at her. “You sure know what to say. Of course, I’ll elope with you but there better be a ring or something. I got you one seven years ago, you better give me one. And a ceremony.”

“That’s not elopement.” Candace said, smiling then kissed her lover again. They had a whole life ahead of them. Together.

20