Chapter 8
3.7k 9 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofreader: SteelzCloud

After the spar, α started playing a game of pong with Arthur, where they used a lightning ball and the loser received its full blow.

The bystanders could only see yellow flashes before the ball disappeared from their sights again.

"Ouch. Why can't I win once against you?"- it was already the tenth consecutive loss Arthur suffered.

"Because I'm better than you."- α 

"I want to wipe the floor with that smug smile of yours."- Arthur said with his teeth clenched.

Just as they prepared the next ball, the chime of the bell echoed again, disturbing their "very safe" game.

"Time to go home."- Arthur started to rejoice, but not for long, as another announcement was made.

"All the male students need to gather at the gymnasium to begin the academy's annual tradition."

"What?"

"We have an annual tradition?"

"Why is it only for male students though?"

The other students around started to ask each other on the way to the gymnasium. 

"What do you think it will be?"- Arthur

"Don't know, it's best to catch up with them or we will be the last ones to arrive."- α 

Even after saying that, they still were the last ones to arrive at the location. 

The gym was packed with students and on the stage in front, a third-grader was on the podium setting up the microphone.

"You guys might be wondering what is this so-called tradition of our academy. Its name is “The Crowning”, as the name suggests we will crown a king each year to be the head of the boys."- the senior began explaining the details regarding this event to the newcomers.

"This is a title merely for the purpose of showing off, it doesn't come with privileges but you'll be respected by everyone. Sounds fun right?"

"Since last year's king has already graduated, his position is now vacant. And before we continue, set the barriers up, boys."- layers and layers of barriers were cast all around the gym by the other third graders to prevent outsiders from peeping.

"Where was I? Ah yes, the position is now vacant so instead of the king versus the first year, everyone will participate."

"The rules are simple, two people will enter this room and they will compete, the loser goes out and wait for the rest and the winner stays to compete against the next person. The final one standing in that room will be crowned king."- a completely black cube emerged from the ground in the middle of the gym making some people back off.

"Can I ask a question?"- one of α's classmates raised his hand.

"Go ahead."

"What will we be competing on?"

"You will know once you get inside there. Now let's not waste any more time and finally begin the hundredth annual tradition of Arcadia."- the enthusiasm in his voice was evident and with his final words, the outlines of a door materialized in the cube.

The two closest people to the cube entered and after some short seconds, one of them exited with a very strange expression on his face.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."- Arthur

"If this is what I think it is, then it's very gay."- α commented after seeing the loser coming out.

"Who the hell created this tradition anyway?"- Arthur

"I bet it's those people that came from Earth, only they would have such perverted thoughts."- α

After 40 minutes more or less, almost all other students had already gone inside the cube and the only ones left were α and Arthur.

"You go first, good luck."- α pushed Arthur inside in one tackle giving him no time to react.

"Wha-. I'll remember this."- Arthur

"Yes, yes. Tell me about it later."- α

Arthur came out a few seconds later looking very perplexed.

"Almost, I almost won. Well, good luck my friend."- and with a pat on α's back, he pushed him inside in one go.

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and he should be out by now."- Arthur

To Arthur's surprise, who came out wasn't α, but the beastkin who was on a winning streak earlier.

In a shaky voice, he began talking.

"I can only bow down to him, the one who has the BFG."- the beastkin dropped to his knees towards the figure coming out of the room.

"The BFG!? Such praise coming from the one who was winning earlier, I won't even try to imagine the grandeur of the new king."

"That sure was strange."- α came to a halt after seeing everyone's respectful gaze on him. - "This means I've won?"

After checking α's information on a tablet, the senior started speaking.

"Let's give king α a round of applause."

The sound reverberated across the gym, making α's eardrums quake.

"Okay guys, that's enough. So king α, do you have anything you want to say?"

"Just don't reveal my identity to other people, please."- α

All the students nodded their heads in compliance.

"What a strange request, but well, what can I do? Looks like we reached the end of this year's tradition, see you guys next year."

The barriers were canceled and everyone started leaving.

"I have a new level of respect for you."- Arthur told α as they started leaving as well.

"You can start worshipping me by buying me a drink."- α

"Fuck off."- Arthur

"Student α of the first year, come to the principal's office right now."- the speakers omitted another message shortly after α stepped outside the gym.

"To be called to the principal's office on the first day, what the hell did you do?"- Arthur

"Nothing that I can recall."- α

"It's best if you don't delay."- Arthur

"True, see you tomorrow then."- α

"Goodbye and stay alive."- Arthur

"It's not like I'll be entering some sort of life-death situation."- α

After giving his farewells, α rushed upstairs straight towards the third floor where the office was.

Stopping in front of the double wooden door, he knocked three times.

"I'm coming in."- α

He gently opened the door and entered. The big room had two couches facing each other with a small table between them and behind them was the desk where the principal was supposed to be, but at the moment nobody was there.

"Strange, where is the princi-."- α

Sensing somebody behind him, he quickly turned around just to be caught by Elizabeth.

"Got you."- Elizabeth embraced α tightly.

"Nee, what are you doing here?"- α

"I am the principal."- Elizabeth said while sniffing him.

"So this is the secret job that you wouldn't tell me for years."- α 

"Why is there a girl's scent on you, α-kun?"- Elizabeth asked with a smile.

87