Ch.48 – Beautiful Christmas Day (2/8)
492 8 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Is everyone ready to go?”

Mary-san asked as she lifted her purse around her shoulder.

“Yes!”

We all chimed in unision. We left the door and got into the car. I was in the front, and Hana-chan and Sora-chan were in the back, talking about school and other things.

“So, who all is going to be there, Madoka-san?”

Mary-san asked.

"Well, Sophia-chan, Mae-chan, Yuko-chan, Okabe-san, and her little sister. You the sisters at my job remember?"

I explained. Mary-san giggled.

"Oh, you mean the super cute girl with the ivy hair? That's nice; I get to chat more with her."

I put a finger to my mouth and tilted my head.

“Yeah, I think she was interested in you too. Maybe you both can become friends, Mary-san?”

I thought about when they first met. For the first time ever, I saw Okabe-san focusing on someone other than her little sister. I didn't even consider that Mary-san might be able to get closer to her too. At this point in her life, she’ll need as many people as possible to support her.

I crossed my arms and thought more about it…

With her being so afraid to trust adults, it would be difficult. She didn’t even like Risa-san after she tried to help her. Maybe…

“Alright, we’re here.”

Mary-san said.

We drove up to the Saitou-san’s residence and parked on the side. We made our way up to the door with a few baked goods in hand and some presents I bought a few days ago behind my friend's back. Before we could knock, Risa-san burst out.

“Welcome!”

She screamed and took hold of me. Her little sister poked her head out the door too. They were both dressed in Christmas outfits. Before I could grasp everything, Saya-san did the same, likely to just mess with me.

“Welcome!”

Saya-san screamed and jumped on me too. The gift bags in my hands were starting to spill over.

“Wow, what a warm welcome.”

Mary-san giggled. Sora-chan, likely getting overly excited, jumped on me, too, to be a little terror.

“Waah! Okay, I can’t hold all of this.”

My glasses were about to fall off my face too. Awkwardly, I pushed inside and toppled to the floor with all my gifts. Like the angel she was, Hana-chan rushed over and helped me to my feet.

“We made non-alcoholic eggnog!”

Saya-san said as she clapped her hands, spun around, and strangely walked away like an alien, trying to mimic human expressions. That girl was strange, super strange. Finally, we got settled in. The place was lit with dazzling Christmas lights and even a fake tree.

Needless to say, Risa-san and Saya-san decked this place just like one of those western American movies I'd seen Mari-san watch.

“Hey, I see a gift with my name on it. When did you buy this, Madoka-san?”

Risa-san whispered in my ear. These gifts I picked up after a shift at work. It was the only chance I got when nobody would see me pick out anything.

“You’ll see when you open it.”

I teased back, trying to keep my composure. I think I picked out a few things that are perfect for everyone… Without Saya-san realizing it, I even got her something during our trip to the shopping mall. Doing it while everyone was around was challenging but certainly not impossible.

Saya-san glanced my way.

“Hehe, she likes the color red.”

I was shocked that she could see through the present. But then, I stopped myself. I knew that this woman, Saya-san was nothing short of observant. She was just trying to get a reaction from me, so I ignored her by looking away.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I pouted, trying my best to not be the spoiled little princess I was in the past. But Saya-san was making that difficult. Luckily, Risa-san jumped in between us and made her little sister walk away.

“Saya-san! No using your psychic abilities to read Madoka-san’s mind!”

Risa-san defended.

"Fine, I'll make sure the gingerbread cookies are good and burnt."

Saya-san complained as she walked away.

I knew I smelled something cooking… but that harsh charred smell must have been the cookies. Those poor gingerbread men had so suffered from the demon cook.

Mary-san sat across from us alongside Hana-chan and Sora-chan.

“It’s great to see you again, Saitou-san. Hopefully, I didn't crash the party for coming without your permission."

Risa-san waved her hand.

"No, no! The more, the merrier. Isn't that what you say in America?"

Mary-san shrugged.

“Yeah, something like that. I didn’t realize you were this close to Madoka-san. How did you two… get this close?”

Mary-san tilted her head and questioned.

"Well, she waits for me when I go to the Red Roses. I didn't realize she was Nakagawa Ayumi-san’s daughter until recently. Crazy how small the world is, right?”

Risa-chan explained. How smoothly she went about it, too, took me by surprise. She leaned back and… wrapped her pinky finger in mine.

“Madoka-san is one of the sweetest people I know. You’re lucky to have her as your new nephew.”

Mary-san nodded.

“Yeah, I’m starting to get to know her better. I’m… realizing that Madoka-san is much different than I initially thought.”

It made me wonder what her “initial” thoughts on me were. But not to ruin the moment with me prying, I decided to shrug it off and smile back.

“Risa-san is a lot to deal with, too, at the Red Roses."

She pushed my shoulder.

“All I order is coffee! Stop that!”

We teased one another.

"Well, you remember when you had me read your poem. That was work I wasn't paid for."

Risa-san lunged back like I had harpooned her soul.

"Eh?! You liked it, though! Tell me you liked it."

Suddenly, she started tickling me out of nowhere. I wasn’t ready for this and burst out laughing.

“S-Stop!”

 

 

“Admit it, you liked my poem, didn’t you!”

I bet to Mary-san, this looked like an older sister bullying her younger sister. I doubt she could comprehend that this woman, teasing me like this… actually had feelings for me.

“Don’t worry, Onee-san, I’ll protect you!”

My mini knight in shining armor jumped in, only to be taken in by my Risa-san too.

“Wow, the little Koda packs a punch!”

She let go of me and started tickling Hana-chan next. The poor girl was defeated in an instant. I felt terrible because she initially tried to save me, only to be in the tickle demon's clutches.

“Oh, the door?”

The doorbell rang, saving Hana-chan from Risa-san. She threw Hana-chan on the couch like a ragdoll and made her way to the door.

“Hello again.”

So-chan was the first to enter, waving at Risa-san. Next was Mae-chan and Yuko-chan.”

“Hello, Saitou-san.”

Mae waved.

“H-Hi again.”

Yuko-chan pushed out and rushed away with a deep blush. They all had a bunch of gifts with them, likely for everyone here. Sophia-chan walked up to Hana-chan, sat beside her, and crossed her arms.

"Hey, squirt… I have a gift for you that you might like. Don't forget to take it home with you later today, okay?"

Hana-chan bounced up.

“Eh? You’re just as short as me!”

As they were going at it, Mae-chan sat next to Sora-chan.

“I think I got the perfect gift for you, Hino-san. I’m excited for you to open it.”

Sora-chan’s eyes lit up like gems.

“I’m too broke to buy you anything! Thanks for the gift!”

Hana-chan crossed her arms.

“Don’t worry, we assumed you didn’t bring anyone anything, Sora-chan!”

Hana-chan scolded, earning a giggle from Sora-chan. I'm sure nobody expected any gifts from anyone. We were just here to end the stressful year on a high note. For the final time, the doorbell rang. Saya-san answered it.

“Hello…”

We all watched as the Okabe sisters made their grand entrance. With a bright smile, Nagumi-chan happily made her way to Hana-chan and Sora-chan.

"Hey, you."

Mary-san waved at Okabe-san. To her surprise, she looked away and curled her ivy hair in her finger.

“Oh… I didn’t know you were coming.”

Flustered, Okabe-san looked away toward Saya-san.

“Hey, can I use your bathroom?”

The psychic clapped her hands.

“Only if you promise to come down and sit in that seat right there!”

She pointed at an overly decked-out seat. Not sure why it was there and why Saya-san wanted Okabe-san to sit in it… but this was going to happen.

“W-Whatever, I need to… touch myself up.”

Saya-san pointed, and Okabe-san raced to the bathroom. It took me a bit to notice, but… could it be that she didn't want Mary-san to see the bruise on her eye?

“Saki-chan is picking up the cake. She should be here soon-“

Before Saya-san could finish, Saki-chan walked through the door. With a large white cake in hand and a Christmas uniform, she smiled brightly and walked to the table.

"Ah, the girls are here! Good, good! Now Senpai and I can make our love spell and make out for the rest of the afternoon!"

Takade-san eagerly said, clapping her hands with stars in her eyes.

Saya-san giggled.

 

"We'll get to that after we play games, Saki-chan! We’ll save the best part for last.”

She teased and poked her nose, causing the love-stricken girl to spark up like a machine going haywire.

With everyone here, the party began.

 

 

11