Chapter 1 – Just another normal day… (or not)
1.3k 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 – Just another normal day… (or not)

 

It was just like every other week for Michael, a young, 20-year old man, living in germany. On a very normal Tuesday morning, Michael's alarm rang, signalling him to get up and ready for school. Tuesday was that day of the week, where he wouldnt be working at his company, but go to school instead. This was normal for germany and it was this way so, that, no matter which company one worked at, there was a certain standard of knowledge, regarding what job one was starting at. And since it was a schoolday and not a workday, he just shut off the alarm and set it to ring again 10 minutes later. Well, not that he had any intentions of getting up after those 10 minutes. Michael was not a morning person and preferred sleeping over breakfast. Since that was the case he simply repeated his previous action and, again, set the alarm to 10 minutes later.

He woke up to the alarm ringing in a volume, it normally only reached after it rang for quite a few minutes. Still not fully awake he looked at the clock and waited for his sight to focus on the time. When he saw it he was immediately fully awake. It was 7:40 am. Sure, he planned on sleeping a bit longer than usually, since it wouldn’t really matter if he arrived a few minutes late at school, but not this long! He shut off the alarm and jumped out of his bed. He really had to hurry up now! School was starting in 20 minutes and he needed at least 30 to get there, not counting the time he needed to get ready. Since he didn’t have any time to lose, he grabbed the first clothes he could find, regardless of how well they fit together and put them on. He went out of his room, down the stairs and got ready to leave, not bothering with his bed hair or cleaning himself properly. Time was just too short. He grabbed his car keys and left the house, knowing that this is definitely not going to be his day.

After arriving near his school, Michael lit himself a cigarette. Thinking that it didn’t really matter, whether he arrived now, or five minutes later, since he was too late anyway.

“Ahhhah, I already wanna go home. It’s not like we will really do anything today anyway.” Michael said to himself.

After he finished his smoke, he made his way to his class. Arriving in his classroom, he of course, was the centre of attention of the whole class.

“Yea, uhm… sorry I’m late. I… guess I kinda overslept?” Michael said, hoping that this was enough of an excuse for the teacher.

Luckily, the teacher didn’t even really pay attention to him and just gave him a sign to quickly sit down. And that was exactly what Michael did. Though after he sat down, the first thing he did, was taking out his smartphone and start playing games. He didn’t even bother to pay attention to class, because just like most of the class, he wasn’t really interested in what the teacher was talking about.

Like this the morning went by and nothing worth mentioning happened. Except for the teacher leaving the class alone because he had to take care of something and only coming back, after the lesson was nearly over. But even that wasn’t anything noteworthy, as that teacher was always that way. After the lesson Michael and his class had a break. These breaks were the times of the day they were looking forward to the most.  Since this was the time were they could talk without caring about whether they would disrupt the teacher or not. And they could eat, smoke or go to the supermarket a few hundred meters away.

Michael belonged to the second group of people. He used the breaks between lessons to smoke together with a few classmates. It wasn’t forbidden to smoke on the school premises. But Michael wouldn’t even really care about it if it was. He would just go out of the premises and smoke there. It wouldn’t really be a big deal anyway.

So after the lesson was over, Michael, his classmates and the students of other classes streamed out of their classrooms and spread out over the school premises. Michael for one, went out to the front of the school building to smoke.

While lighting up his cigarette though, Micheal noticed something. He noticed a metallic gleam high up in the sky.

“Hey, Danny can you see that?” He asked one of his classmates, Daniel, a 20-year old boy, who stood beside him.

“Huh, what do you mean? Where?”

“Up there in the sky. Somehow there seems to be a weird greyish thing or something like that”

Daniel just shook his head “you sure that your eyes are working properly? Maybe you need glasses?”

“You asshole I have glasses already.” Michael gave Daniel an annoyed look and gave him a slight punch on his shoulder

“Yeah, yeah, I know dumbass. It’s quite obvious that you have glasses. They sit right in your face…. after… all….. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!?!” Daniel suddenly shouted out pointing his finger into the sky. In the sky, now quite visible, was something. It had a dark metallic gleam on it and had an abstract form. It was abstract yet it was so far away that Michael had no way of knowing it’s exact form. The only thing he knew for certain as, that whatever that thing was, it was *massive*. It was so massive, that it seemed to span over the entire sky and yet the sun somehow managed to still shine through, preventing the world from being enveloped in complete darkness.

Most of the people around Michael where in a shocked state. They simply couldn’t believe what was happening right before their eyes. It seemed unreal, like something that didn’t belong to this world. Michael himself, was not that different. He too, was shocked by the sight that revealed itself before him. But more than shock, he felt… curious. Just what was that thing that revealed itself in the sky? Where did it come from? Why was it here? He simply stood there, staring high up into the sky, at the thing with its dark metallic gleam, that simply was there. Not moving, not coming closer, not doing anything. It felt almost creepy. While Michael was stuck in his thoughts, something started shaking him.

Startled Micheal focused on his surroundings again. What had shaken him out of his thoughts, was his friend and classmate Daniel.

“Hey man! Snap out of it already Michael! Stop staring at that creepy thing! Let’s go back inside! …At least we won’t have to look at it then. Man it seriously creeps me out. Even just looking at it gives me goose bumps!”

Michael had a slight grin on his face hearing that decided to tease his friend for a bit “Whaaaat? Danny…. Am I hearing correctly? Don’t tell me that you of all people are scared of a creepy, mysterious metallic thing that just sits there in the sky, faaar out of our reach.”

Although he said this to Daniel, Michael himself wanted to get away from where he was at that moment. But still… teasing his friend was so much fun. He even wanted to continue, but Daniel just grabbed his arm and dragged him along. “Oh shut up okay? It’s just freaking me out how something like that just appeared out of nowhere. Everyone would be freaked out by that. I mean just look at all these people around us. Nearly no one reacts like you do. You dipshit.”

Shortly after the re-entered the school building, there was an announcement “To all teachers and students: As already seen by most of the people present here, an unknown object has been sighted in the sky. As of now its origins aren’t known either. So for now, lessons are to continue normally. I repeat: To all teachers and students: As already seen by most of the people present here, an unknown object has been sighted in the sky. As of now its origins aren’t known either. So for now, lessons are to continue normally. Have a nice and fruitful day. Yours sincerely: Dr. Schae.”

Hearing that, Michael was a bit baffled. Sure the thing was high up in the sky. But it looked like something, that didn’t even belong in this world. No, for that it looked far too creepy. Even though it didn’t do anything after its arrival… but didn’t it only arrive a few minutes ago? So wasn’t it pretty irresponsible to just continue like normal without knowing anything about the situation?

“That damned geezer of a principle… the only thing ever going through his head is school this and school that. How the heck are we even supposed to learn something like this? Nobody will even be able to concentrate on this stupid school stuff when there is that… thing out in the sky.” Daniel cursed. Michael couldn’t help but agree with him. “Indeed. Pretty stupid of him. But what do you expect? It’s this school after all.” Now Michael even had to laugh a bit, “Nothing good ever comes out of the mouths of these teachers.”

“Haha... I guess you’re right. Well we better get to class now. Let’s see the others reactions” Daniel said with an uneasy laugh. In a slightly faster than normal pace, the two of them made their way to their classroom. Or at least they tried to be faster than normal. The problem was, that every Student was on their way to their classrooms now, so there was quite a bit of chaos in the hallways. Normally the students would go back bit by bit, so the hallways never were this chaotic. No that they were going back inside all at once, the building was stuffed full. Getting through was a chore and Michael even thought about waiting until there were less students around. Not that Daniel would let him wait that long. He was still grabbing Michaels arm and dragged him with him.

Back in their class, Michael could see, that most of his classmates were quite uneasy with this Situation as well. Others were straight up angry at the principle for just carrying on with school. The things they said were along the lines of “That fucking grandpa is already going senile! He should get checked up!” Or “Why even try to continue with this shit? Not like we’re learning anything in this shithole anyway!”. While Michael had to admit that there was some truth to what they were saying, he still thought that they were annoying and should shut their mouths. This kind of speech was sadly quite normal for a few of his classmates. Well these classmates were the ones, Michael tried to avoid, or at least, tried to. Because it got on his nerves when someone only knew how to speak like an imbecile prick.

Anyway, shortly after Michael and Daniel entered the classroom, their teacher for the next lesson entered the classroom. Ms. Miller, their teacher for the next subject, didn’t even try to calm down the class about the thing outside. Instead she simply started her lesson. Not that it was successful. Michael had to try hard to avoid laughing out loud, since he thought that it was quite funny, how the teacher was desperately trying to calm down the class, after she noticed, that she wouldnt get far with her lesson, but not really succeeding with it. So, their lesson went on, without much progress happening. At one point their teacher quite simply gave up and took out her own smartphone in an attempt to distract herself from the whole situation and the students.

Anyway, Micheal really wanted to smoke in their next break after this lesson, but Dr. Schae got the glorious idea, of telling all students to stay inside during break… ‘for safety reasons’. Screw safety… he wanted a smoke, not safety. Michaels mood turned a bit sour because of that, but Daniel came to him, his notebook in his hands and sat down besides Michael. “Hey take a look at this. I just found this random video and started watching it. It’s extremely funny, so hey, let’s watch it together dude!”

After thinking about it for a second, Michael complied. Well watching the video certainly was a good idea. It really was just as funny as Daniel said, and it helped quite a bit in keeping their minds off some things. Plus, they had to laugh really hard at a few points. And like this, the two of them spend their break, inside the classroom. Well a few minutes before their break was over, there was another announcement made. “Attention: To all Teachers and Students, please come to the assembly hall for a conference immediately. I repeat: To all Teachers and Students, please come to the assembly hall for a conference immediately!”

It seemed like someone managed to talk some sense into their stupid principle and they were finally going to address the matter at hand… or well, the matter in the sky. At least that’s what Michael though the Conference was going to be about. Because, what else could it be about? With a bit of complaining He and his classmates made their way to the assembly hall, which in reality wasn’t even an assembly hall, but just a spot with lots of space in the hallways of the school building.

Upon arriving there, Michael, Daniel and the rest of his classmates, as well as all the other students and teachers arriving at the assembly spot, the principle walked up on a hastily built podium. After all of the people present took a seat, well if they managed to grab one at least, the rest just had to stand, the principle, Dr. Schae started talking to them.

“Dear teachers and dear students, as, I am sure, you all have witnessed by now, today, at around 10:00 am, something, with an, as of yet unknown, origin, suddenly appeared in the Sky above us.” Michael was quite happy to finally hear some information about this thing and even more so, that he heard it from this stuck-up principle. Since the topic talked about interested him quite a bit, he decided to earnestly listen to him talking for once.

“Since we, the staff of this school are also confronted with this thing and don’t know how to face it, I decided to just let the lessons continue normally until we got an update from higher up. Well just 10 minutes ago I got a call from the corresponding people and am now going to share with you what we know so far…”

Before Dr. Schae got to starting his next sentence, the earth suddenly started rumbling. All around Michael, the students and even the teacher got loud. An earthquake? Here? That’s nearly unheard of! Even Michael became quite panicked at this event. An earthquake at this time, with what appeared above their heads today simply couldn’t be a coincidence! In a panic Michael quickly looked around him, looking for his friend Daniel, but before he even found him, the rumbling suddenly stopped. It stopped just as suddenly as it had begun and the only thing he could hear right now was the principle trying to calm everyone down. Not that he had been successful with it, as he himself got quite panicked. Shortly after the rumbling stopped though, everything around Michael went white and suddenly he heard a loud, screeching sound. In pain, he clutched his head and tried to shut his ears. This, though had no effect as the screeching sound got even louder and louder. It seemed to be sent directly into his head! After a while the sound became so painful that Michael simply started screaming. He didn’t care, that he was around other people. He couldn’t care! It was just too painful to think of anything else!

After some time, the sound in his head, as well as the white light around him finally began to subside, enabling him to slowly start focusing on his surroundings again. It took him a few minutes, until he was finally able to see and hear normally again, but there was still a massive headache prominent in his head. He noticed that he cowered on the ground, though he didn’t know when he started doing that. Slowly he got up again and started to look around, still holding his head. Michael saw, that some were holding their heads as well, while others just had their eyes closed and gritted their teeth. He looked around, until he found Daniel and was relieved to see that he didn’t seem to be in a lot of pain and was just holding his head a bit.

A short while later, the people around Michael began to start murmuring, and it only got louder and louder, until it could only be considered chaos. Everyone was talking loudly and nobody could understand the other anymore. When the volume of the voices became unbearable for him, he was saved. Saved by the principle talking in a fairly weak voice, telling them that the school is closed for the rest of the day and that they should just go home. Michael didn’t even want to think up a snappy remark for the principle simply dismissing them after what had just transpired. He himself was extremely exhausted after all this. He slowly went to Daniel to see him off

“So, uh… yeah how are you doing right now? I think I’m just going to call it a day. This was shit. I just want to go home and fall asleep. So, yeah…. See you I guess?”

“Yeah, you should better go home Michael. This seems to have gotten to you way worse than it got to me. I seem to be doing okay for the most part. Just got a slight headache. Well I’m still going home anyway. See you tomorrow!”

And with these words, Daniel quickly ran off. This event seems to have shocked him quite hard. Not that Michael could blame him. He would’ve probably reacted just like him, if he weren’t so exhausted. He looked around a bit more, to see how the rest were doing. After seeing that they were all alright, well at least physically and that he was probably the most exhausted person right now, he simply grabbed his stuff from his classroom, as well as Daniels, since he seemed to have forgotten it and went home.

He really, really just wanted to fall into his bed and embrace his much needed sleep.

 

So this marks the real start of the story. This chapter became quite a bit longer than intended (I intended for about 1500 to 2000 words for this chapter... well it became over 3000 instead *shrug*). Also i will add a bit more elaborate explanation about the schoolsystem for people starting their worklife in germany here: in germany exists a dual-caste system for people starting the work-life. This is to ensure that a certain standard of knowledge exists. While most practical things are learned in the companies and stuff, one still has to go school to learn theoretical stuff, since every company does their stuff a bit different. But anyway, i hope you enjoyed reading it just as much as i enjoyed writing it! Please tell me what you think about this chapter. Oh and if you find any typos or have suggestions please also tell me c:

22