Chapter 8 – Self-doubt is… wet?
748 8 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8 – Self-doubt is… wet?

As soon as she had finished that line of though, she abruptly came to a halt. And she did so with a loud crash. Michael managed to fly straight into a single tree. Though a collision at this speed should’ve been quite painful, the only thing Michael felt, was a slight numbness in her feet. It felt similar to when she jumped down a slightly larger wall. For now, though, she decided to not think too deeply about it, as she had more pressing concerns right now. One of them being her asking herself just how she had managed to survive that crazy stunt? How did she manage to only hit a tree now and not way earlier?! And the most important thing: Where did she end up? Just where was she right now?!

Before she started paying attention to where she was though, she noticed a strange, wet sensation on herself. It couldn’t still be water from when she bathed in the river, so there was only one thing that this could be. No way! That couldn’t be! She really hadn’t managed to wet herself right?! She was way too old to wet herself! Just how could so much go so extremely wrong in such a short time?! This was simply unfair! Her face became beet read and she buried it in her hands, out of sheer embarrassment. She wanted to disappear right now. Wetting herself while looking like some primitive being.

“Look Mama, that weird girl over there on the tree wet herself even though she is big! Even I don’t wet myself anymore! Am I better than her?” As if reality was mocking her, suddenly the voice of a young boy reached her ears. Shocked, Michael quickly looked up, only to see a mother together with her three or four-year-old child walking on a road… which was besides the tree she was standing on right now. Not knowing what to do, she simply stood completely still and stared at the mother. The mother, too, looked at her and after a few seconds she quickly started to pull her little boy, who was still pointing at her, away from where she was standing.

“How can you walk around like that?! Don’t you have any shame?! At least have some decency in front of children! I am going to call the police on you for walking around like this! You should be ashamed!” The mother began fuming as she was pulling her child away from Michael.

Michael began to panic. While she was happy to have finally reached civilisation again, she had absolutely no desire to get the police on her trail right now. And at the same time she hadn’t even wanted to meet any people while looking like this in the first place. Wetting herself hadn’t made that desire any bigger. Quickly she ran alongside the tree, into its top, so she could hide herself between all the leaves. She didn’t even care about what reaction they would have to someone doing that... hiding was far more important to Michael right now.

Reaching the top of the tree and hiding, she waited a few minutes, so she could be sure, that she was alone again. She had no desire to become an attraction or to even meet anyone. While Michael thought like this since she decided to leave the forest, that thinking only became stronger when she noticed that she had wet herself and met other people on top of it. She could seriously do without another thing like this happening.

Slowly, her head reached out from inside the leaves to take a look at the surrounding area. She was overjoyed, that she couldn’t spot anyone in the area. Not a single soul was there anymore. This was good. Now Michael could finally come down the tree and go into one of the directions the road was leading to, and get herself an idea of where she was. And hopefully she would get home fast too. She wanted to fall into her bed and forget what had happened to her.

Michael climbed out of the tree top and walked down the tree. She stopped about a metre away from the ground, wanting to try and change her gravity without falling on her face this time. And to do that she put a foot on the ground in front of her. This way, Michael hoped to simply change the weight of the foot she was standing on when returning gravity back to normal. But this wasn’t all she would have to look out for. There was also the thing of keeping her focus on the outside even while focusing on her mind, where she would imagine the actions the nebulas will take. This would be a balancing act, but she wanted to do it anyway.

She tried to imagine the nebulas in her mind, while still keeping a sliver of her attention on her body, so she could react at the right time. This was quite hard and because of that the nebulas formed at a very low speed. It took, what felt like an eternity until all of the nebulas had fully formed and it took even longer until they started moving towards her. But she still managed to move them. Michael quickly noticed how exhausting it was to keep her focus split. Sweat started running down her forehead and her legs began to slightly tremble. Still, Michael tried her absolute hardest to stay focused on both ends

As more time passed, the nebulas came closer and closer to Michael and she also became more and more drenched with sweat, while her trembling looked a lot more like a dance act by now. She had expected this to be hard… but not this hard! The nebulas moved excruciatingly slow and the only thing on Michael’s mind right now, was the wish for them to move way faster. The nebulas though, didn’t really seem to be bothered by that kind of thinking and stuck to their snail-like pace.

After, what felt like way too long, they finally merged back into Michael and at the same time, she could feel the gravity shifting. While she had done this extremely exhausting process so she wouldn’t fall face-first to the ground again, she couldn’t muster any more strength and managed to land face first on the ground anyway which made her wish, that she would’ve chosen to do it this way in the first place for a moment. That would’ve been far quicker! The only difference between this and the tries before was that she had hit her head on her knee in the process. But she had nearly done it! She felt joy at being able to keep her Attention split like that. She was sure that she would able to do better next time!

For now, though, Michael had to rest for a few minutes, even at the risk of someone passing by. She simply didn’t have enough strength to quickly go towards a direction. She leaned back against the trunk and closed her eyes for a while. She wanted to go home. She didn’t want to go on like this anymore. This was too exhausting, too lonely and even painful. She looked like some primitive and she even wet herself. And now that she thought about it, she was also getting extremely hungry. Even the Mysterious object in the sky was annoying right now! This situation was an absolute disaster! Why did this have to happen to her? Couldn’t this have happened to some random stranger? She didn’t even do anything to deserve this! She just wanted a quiet and peaceful life. Which she had until that thing appeared in the sky and the dream she had afterwards. Now though? Her life was a complete mess! She didn’t know where she was, her phone was dead, she didn’t have anything decent to wear and most importantly, she literally shredded her identity into pieces! She was now no longer the 20-year-old guy she had been until now, she was now a girl with no origin, no real name, no… nothing! She didn’t really have anything right now, besides a broken phone and a weird ability that allowed her to change the gravity around her!

Tears started to accumulate in Michaels eyes. The reality of how abnormal the things that had happened to her were, slowly started to make its way into her mind. This was a hopeless situation… all she did right now was planned around the fact that her family would still recognize her and allow her entry into their home. If they didn’t… Michael didn’t even want to think about that. She would be really lost if that were to happen.

Shaking her head and blinking a few times to get rid of both, depressing thoughts and the tears that had accumulated, Michael slowly stood up again. It would be completely useless to give up right now. She had already gotten so far after all. Getting depressive won’t help her. The only thing she could do right now, is to continue.

With these thoughts, Michael started walking again. He decided to walk into the direction, where the mother and her child had come from earlier. If they had been walking together, then that had to mean that there was some kind of village, or whatever nearby. Such a young child’s stamina couldn’t be great after all! This meant that she was sure to hit upon some kind of clue as to where she was if she walked into that direction! She looked into the sky to try and determine how much longer she would be able to walk around while it was bright and warm… not that she managed to do that. Michael had no idea on how to determine something like that. All she could do was, deciding whether it was morning, midday or evening. She would just need to have faith that she would reach home by the end of the day.

After walking for quite a while, Michael noticed someone getting close to her from a distance. Her eyes darted around, looking for a way to hide herself from the oncoming stranger. She really didn’t want to be seen in these clothes, that were still wet from when had wet herself, again and to avoid that, she had to find a hiding spot. On the spur of the moment, she decided to hide in the bushes that fell into her view. She ran over to it and literally dived into it, as she didn’t want to waste any time to figure out how to get into it. She didn’t care about whether she got scratches because of this action or not. She preferred this over another scene of sheer embarrassment. And she also didn’t want to change the gravitation again to hide in a completely different place, since she didn’t know how long she would take to actually do it and she had zero desire to go through that long and exhausting process of getting down while trying not to fall again too.

Hiding in the bushes, time passed. Michael quietly sat there and waited for the stranger to pass her. She couldn’t see what happened on the road since the bushes were too dense. While this annoyed her a bit, it was also a good thing, as this meant that the person on the other side couldn’t see her either. This was exactly what she wanted. And because she couldn’t see anything, she strained her ears even harder. She waited for the sound of footsteps to approach and then pass by her.

And she really could hear the sound of footsteps coming closer after a few minutes! They came closer and close and then, thankfully, passed by her. This was the first time that day, that Michael felt grateful for anything. Well… he had celebrated too early. After a while, the sound came closer again and then simply stopped. Suddenly a very annoyed voice broke through the silence that had spread after the person stopped walking

“Wherever you are hiding, come out! I know that you are hiding here and I am fed up with looking for you! Just get the fuck out!”

 

Hey there! I hope you enjoyed the new chapter of Chaotic Symphony! :D The chapter is once again about 2000 words long. Feel free to leave a comment down below (I am happy if you communicate with me \o/) And if you want to, why dont you join my new discord server? If you feel like chatting with me and stuffs like that, feel free to join!

Here is the (not-so-hidden) pathway to my discord server: https://discord.gg/yaWgSgg

And thanks to my supporter: Ritsuka Morgan

23