Chapter 8: Sitting Together [Illustration]
188 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emi, Emi, Emi... what were you doing?

Why did you sit down next to this gorgeous human being? Why did you say you love reading indoors? Nobody says that. It just isn’t said, you know. This was such a bad idea.

She wanted to read this Economic Theory book so Ms. Khami wouldn’t yell at her as much tonight, but she was incredibly distracted by the girl next to her.

Emi just wanted to talk to her and get to know her and stare at her curly hair. But the girl was, of course, reading through her book like crazy. She seemed completely into it, even when the book was something as boring as History of Incantations and a Treatise on Traditional Methods. She seemed like such a serious person.

She thought about saying something, about what the girl was reading and why she was reading it, something to start a conversation, but the way she was reading, she felt like if she interrupted her, she’d just give a glare and silently move to another table. 

Economics was so dry, even with this book Earl had recommended... it was almost impossible to pay attention enough to read it when breathing almost literally down her neck was, well, her. 

She kept looking at the girl, and sometimes the girl would look back at her. She started to realize that maybe she was a nuisance to her. It was just really tough to sit next to her and act like nothing was happening. What a bad idea!

Maybe she could stave off this awkward, petrifying feeling at the pit of her stomach by turning her attention elsewhere, anywhere but the girl sitting next to her. Perhaps the library shelves, stacked four, maybe five Emis high, would be of interest. There were so many books, some so far out of reach that you had to climb to the second floor balcony to retrieve them. Surely that wasn’t an efficient system without some sort of machine to lift you up easily, something other than going up and down the stairs every time you searched for a title. Someone should build that sort of machine, she thought, though she didn’t know a single thing about how machines were designed, how they were built. Maybe she would ask Ms. Khami to assign her some books based on that. Then she could impress the girl next to her with a new creation, one that would help out the entire library... Oh, this wasn’t helping.

Emi realized this was all a waste of time. Life’s way of telling her she was a silly, gullible human being and probably the Gods playing a practical joke. She hadn’t gotten any work done, even though that was the main reason she snuck out. All that had happened was that she got sucked into sitting with this girl who didn’t give a single care about her because she actually knew how to study correctly.

After a few more minutes of cursory book looking-over, she straightened out the desk and got up from her chair. 

The girl looked up the exact same moment. Darn it, she was just being even more of an annoyance than she wanted to be. “Sorry,” she told the girl.

“Are you leaving?”

“Yeah, my parents need me back home to... go do some preparations for supper,” Emi lied. “I’d love to study some other time.” Clearly this girl did not want anything to do with her, but Emi was seemingly unable to turn off her politeness mode once triggered.

“Well, we’ll see each other at the library, I guess,” the girl said, giving a wide smile but her eyes giving away some sort of unhappiness. She was simply being polite, too, Emi was sure.

“Yeah.”

Well, it wasn’t like the two of them were ever going to meet again, not with how cold the girl had acted toward her, or with how being anywhere near her had sent Emi into an emotional frenzy just from how absolutely amazing she looked. Emi was a mature, proper lady, and knew that pursuing things that were gone, was an act of idiocy, she thought.

It is important to note here that Emi was not the sort of girl who exactly “got things” easily, hence her complete blindness to the actual situation here. You and I know what was going on, but Emi was quite out of the loop of her own feelings. It is worth at least a little pity.

“Uhh...” Emi stammered.

“Uh-huh.”

“Well then....”

They locked eyes for a moment, and Emi was very unsure of what to say. This must have lasted for an eternity, at least until--

BONG. BONG.

The library clock bell rang out to announce the top of the hour. Okay, it really was time for Emi to return home, if it was getting that late.

“Well them, um, yeah,” she said as a way to say goodbye. It was an attempt, at least.

Emi took one step towards the door, and then was frozen solid by a shout of, “Wait!” 

She turned around. The girl had quickly bounded from her seat and hurried up to face Emi directly.

They stood so close, now... Emi tried as hard as she could to keep eye contact. She probably gulped. 

“It was nice meeting you,” the girl said.

“Yeah, it was nice.” Emi extended her hand, and the girl took it.

Firm handshake.

“Well, that’s one way to make an introduction,” the girl said, giggling.

Emi tilted her head to the side. What did she mean by that?

“By the way, what’s your name?” the girl asked.

“I’m Emi.”

“And mine name is Beatrice. See you around.”

“Yeah.”

Beatrice. Her name was Beatrice. 

Emi turned and left the library, but she was afflicted with a curse: a crackly grin that remained etched on her face for the rest of the afternoon.

13