Ch3 ” A twisted tale of a Merchant “
78 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 [ A twisted tale of a Merchant ]

Somewhere on the Faelan Kingdom. Date Unknown. Within the Mortow forest, two people are walking side by side. They were silent but they doesn't seem to fear wandering through the forest even it would soon approach to evening when the sun sets.

One man, one woman. The man was older than the woman. He was taller and built while the woman was smaller and have a slender build. The man has a blond hair and blue eyes, the same striking features could also be seen on the woman. They both possess a messy hair. Looking at the two, people can immediately tell their likeness and resemblance to each other. The two of them are siblings. A pair of a big brother and a little sister.

The big brother's step was heavy and every step of him left a slight dent to the soils of the forest. He was wearing a some type of silver white colored heavy armor with golden linings on them. He have a cape and a sword attached to it's scabbard hanging on his back. His little sister on the other hand, while she wasn't as protected as her brother, she was wearing a protective gear that was suitable for her profession. She may look small and weak compared to her brother, but people would immediately stare and noticed the destructive and dangerous weapon that she was carrying.

They are a siblings. A pair of a Knight and a Launcher siblings.

The two of them are in their journey. They have been in their adventure for five months. Soon, they would approaching to their sixth month journey. Today, they are in another adventures to fulfill their mission.

A mission on where they need to defeat a certain monster.

As they wandered through the forest, the sun was already setting. The two siblings decided to look on a place where they can rest. Preferably, a vacant and flat ground where there is no tall sharp grasses, no ugly looking trees growing and a place where there is no bothersome low level monsters to approach them. Later, they happened to found a caravan in the forest.

No, surprise can be seen on their faces as they walk towards the Caravan calmly. Their eyes narrowed on the caravan for a brief moment before it disappeared. Replace by a hopeful and optimistic shine in their eyes.

Different from the forest's silent and eerie atmosphere, the caravan was lively, energetic and warm. People were happy and comfortable. At least, the Caravan has at least 30 plus people. There were even some children in the lively caravan.

The two siblings were warmly welcomed as they asked for a place to stay and rest for the night after some light inspection from the members of the caravan. They were given a warm dish by the gentle lady with silver hair and golden eyes.

" Is it delicious? "

The little sister tasted the food and stiffly smiled.

" It was delicious. "

The silver haired lady was delighted.

" I'm glad that you enjoyed it. "

The little sister nodded and she decided to follow her brother in the caravan. On the caravan, there are some guards, a dancer, a bard, merchants and traders. All of the children in the caravan are gathered around the bonfire. It was like that they are waiting for something while they are warming their bodies around it.

The brother are curious and asked one of the children.

" We're waiting for the storyteller to arrived and tell a new tale! "

The brother nodded his head and asked some questions while he eat his dinner. A few minutes with his brief talk with one of the children, the storyteller have finally arrived.

" It's time for another tale!!~  "

Said by a jovial voice behind the brother. He was startled. He nearly grabbed his sword, but thankfully, he didn't proceed. The storyteller smiled at the cheerful and anticipating gazes of the children. He took no notice of the two adventurer tense and rigid body position.

" What is the title of the tale today? "

One of the children asked while she look at the story storyteller with curiosity and excitement. The story teller patted the child's head.

" Before that, why don't our new friends introduced themselves to us? "

The Storyteller sweep his gaze towards the two siblings. The younger one squirmed. Clearly uncomfortable from the sudden attention. The brother patted the shoulder of his little sister and he smiled at the children and storyteller.

" We are adventurers that have come a far. We are in our journey to defeat a monster that has plagued and killed many innocent people. "

" I see. " The storyteller said while he look at the two siblings with interest. " Then you are a Sillegen? "

The brother nodded his head.

" What a coincidence that you have come at a right time! It must be fate! No, it is probably the work of the God in your side! "

The Storyteller beamed. The two siblings tensed as the storyteller took out a powder from the pouch that was hanging on his neck. He thrown the powder in the bonfire and the children cheered and become fascinated as the fire become bigger, brighter and changed into a bright white red flames.

" Today, I would tell everyone a very special story. And i hope that this story would help our dear Sillegen. "

The twelve children huddled together while they sat surrounding the bonfire but keeping a safe and comfortable distance.

" This tale happened during the previous years...Deep within a forest, there was a simple and peaceful village. The villagers were nice and kind folk. They always helped each other and possess a great loyalty towards each other.

One day, a merchant was wandering in the forest. He was lost and by coincidence, he managed to find the village. The village guards welcomed him at their village gates.

“ You are an outsider, who are you and what are your intentions? ”

One of the guards questioned the Merchant. The Merchant smiled and introduced himself politely.

“ Good day, Sir. I am just a merchant who happened to be lost in this forest. I wanted to get out of this forest. Could you please help me Sir on pointing out the direction to get out in this forest? ”

The guards took pity of him and they decided to inform the village chief of this matter. Upon learning of the merchant's situation, the village chief decided to invite the merchant. He said to the guards...

“ Give him, our warmest welcome. He has no malicious intentions so treat our poor guest kindly. He must be angry for all of his wandering and getting lost in this forest, tomorrow we would point out the direction for him to go outside of the forest. It was already afternoon. It would be dangerous for him if he travel the forest at evening. ”

The guards followed the village chief's instructions and also informed the villagers the situation. The children were curious of the merchant while the adults were sympathetic of his plight.

Warm dishes, jovial songs and welcome has greeted the merchant inside the village. When the night have approached, the merchant lay on the bed and he thought on how to repay the villagers for their kindness. He walk around the village in the night and village guards were curious why he was awake.

“ I want to repay everyone in the village. I am a merchant, maybe there was something in me that you need. ”

The village guards refused his offer but the merchant insisted and showed them his items from his storage ring.

Looking at the items, the two guards decided to choose something. One guard took a short sword while the other guard choose a light shield.

The merchant was satisfied. He walk around the village at night and offered different items from the awake villagers. They choose different items and the merchant's become more happy and delighted everytime that they accept his offer.

The next day arrived, and the villagers happily bid goodbye to the merchant.  "

The Storyteller clap his hands together as he finished telling his story. The children frowned and they didn't look satisfied.

" That's all? "

The Storyteller nodded his head. The children pouted and look at the two adventurers.

" Do you have a story to tell us? "

" We have... But this is a story that we heard from the nearest town. "

" Could you tell us? "

" It was also about a Merchant. "

The younger one said. Under the excited gazes, the brother took a deep breath and started to tell the story calmly.

" There was once a honest merchant, whose heart and soul is the color of the purest white snow. He sell his items cheap and affordable. Because of it, he was very popular and successful. Dearly loved by many people. His business was a success even he sell his items cheap.

Other merchants and traders, whose heart was corrupt and greedy was envious of his success. They can't understand why he is successful. They can't accept the results and they wanted the merchant gone. "

The brother paused as the other people at the caravan gathered and listened to his story. He smiled and continued at his story.

" One day, the merchant was together in one of the caravans who travelled into the forest. Unknown to them, the greedy merchants have hired a group of very infamous and despicable bandits. They told that they wanted the kind merchant dead and they didn't care for the other people at the caravan. They have paid a lot for the bandits.

While the caravan was passing through the forest, they were attacked by the bandits. The bandits looted, pillage and they have done many despicable acts towards the caravan. The kind merchant are tied and forced to watch as the children were killed in the most despicable ways. The beautiful and enchanting dancer was sullied and she was burned in flames after they were done with her. The bard was feed to their dearest pet alive.

The merchant struggled and shouted to stop until his voice were hoarse and broken. As the money and important items in the caravan are looted, the bandits were bored as they don't have an entertainment anymore. The merchant were traumatized as he stared at the dead mutilated bodies of his companions.

He wished that this is just a nightmare and a dream. But it looks like that his nightmare hasn't ended when one of the bandits carefully look at him and said that he have a pretty face.

The merchant look at them in horror. And the next day, the merchant have gotten out of the forest. He wasn't killed and the greedy merchants were angered that the bandits have destroyed their deal.

The merchant was found by a kind swordsman and lady mage. They helped him and delivered him back in the town. The merchant have so many things that was taken from him. The merchant stopped being a merchant. He choose to delve himself in books and lock up in his house.

Still, the greedy merchants wasn't satisfied. For one year, the merchant lived inside his house until knights, clerics, exorcist and paladins barged on his house.

Some people were bribed by the greedy merchants and they accused the merchant of being a warlock. The merchant just stared listlessly and didn't deny the accusation.

Just like the witches, they were trialed to be burned by fire. Before he was burned, the merchant declared that he would take everything that was stolen from him and with a interest.

The merchant are burned by the trial of holy fire to the surprise of the greedy merchants. There was no kind merchant left anymore on that broken person. The accusations of the people are true. They found Taboo books and records on the merchant's house. Along with a contract scroll with a high tiered demon.

The people were horrified while the merchants are worried. A few days later, the town was bathed in black sinister flames. Many people were burned alive and only a few survived while suffering from a curse.

Since then, tales of a merchant wandering around from town and villages has started sprouting. He would give items that many would found irresistible and they would ended up with a curse. Nothing of his items are free. They came with a price plus an unaffordable interest. "

The brother have finished telling his story. He stand up and distanced himself from the storyteller and he brought out his sword that was hanging on his back and pointed it towards the storyteller while he was in a defending stance.

" It was an interesting story. " The storyteller says as one by one the children and the other people in the caravan disappeared except him.

" Indeed. " The little sister said as she pointed her hand cannon into the storyteller. Light started gathering on the Cannon's mouth.

[ Satellite Beam Activated ]

A brilliant beam of light launched towards the storyteller. The launcher hugged her weapon as she tried to stand up steady and straight against the wave of explosion. The Knight immediately came forward.

[ Light Shield Activated ]

The brother glared at his little sister.

" What the?! You have instantly used a very powerful skill! I was supposed to be the one who would aggro the boss! "

" But we have been killed for a few times! We have also already finished the 4 difficulty modes. Ugh.. I am bored on seeing that boss already! "

" I am certain that if we killed this monster in REAL difficulty, we would gain something useful! "

" Tch, what's the point if we gained something? We would be back on level 1 when the game starts again. "

" At least, we would have advantages when the game starts...we could also choose to sell some information and I bet we would gain a lot of money. "

The launcher rolled her eyes and huffed. She reloaded her gun cannon.

" Brother, don't be a daft... There are better Beta Testers than us. I heard that the 1st within the progress of the game is a high school boy from Japan. "

" I don't care, let's still finish the boss. "

His little sister sighed. Soon, the smoke dispersed and the boss immediately came on their sight.

The hood were removed and bright red eyes glowed crimson. The merchant's hands turned paler. Abnormally white skin welcomed their sight. The nails are turned black and elongated and become sharper than before.

[ Merchant   HP:97 % ]

" I have new greedy customers that I need to satisfy. "

The boss turned to stare at them. He revealed a very wide smile. Black flame balls started to appear around him one by one.

" Ehhh... What only 3%?! The satellite beam are one of my powerful moves! "

" Why are you just standing there like an idiot little sister? "

" And what are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be a knight? Go defend me and do your job as the tank. "

She says as she prepared her gun cannon to fire again.

[ Gattling Bombs activated ]

Explosions and explosions launched themselves on the boss.

[ Multiple Light Shield activated ]

[ Roar Activated ]

[ Knight's Spirit Activated ]

Meanwhile, the knight have launched himself forward to the boss.

[ Charge Activated ]

And he was hit by one of the launcher's skill attacks.

[ Knight Elegance  HP: 98% ]

" What the hell?! Eden what are you doing?! Your friendly fire option is turned on! Turn it off! Idiot!! "

" I'm not an idiot! "

Eden glared at her brother. She glance through her settings.

[ During battle, settings aren't allowed to be tweaked when in Hell and REAL mode ]

" Brother, looks like I can't do it right now! "

Her brother cursed as he attacked the boss while activating his shield to block the magic attacks while trying to avoid the other attacks. Eden shrieked when one of the incoming giant black fireballs have nearly roasted her. She grimace when she felt a slight pain.

" Ah, brother looks like my immersion setting is above 50%. Brother don't die! I don't want to be killed painfully! "

Listening to Eden, Ellan cursed inside his mind.

[ Shield Attack Activated ]

[ Shield Counter Activated ]

[ Holy Punishment Activated ]

Ellan can't let his little sister die or she would go and complain towards her mother and their father.

[ Merchant   HP: 86% ]

A fire beam have hit his back. Thankfully he have a defense buff activated.

[ Knight Elegance HP: 90% ]

" Eden what the hell are you doing?! "

" Ahh.. sorry! This hand cannon is so heavy that I slipped! "

Eden smiled on the distance as she dodged the boss incoming fireballs attacks. She used some of the thick and strong trees as a shield and distance herself when one of them are on the verge of breaking down.

Meanwhile, Ellan wasn't convinced by his little sister.

‘ Sooner or later I would earn money by myself and moved out of that damn house and I swear that I would never talk and listen towards her bitching attitude ever again. ’

1