Ch7: Encounter with a strange NPC
65 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7: Encounter with a strange NPC



" I'm sorry if I have cause trouble with you and your companion, Sir?.."


The unknown ghost NPC says as he look at Ellan with an apologetic expression on his face. Ellan glance at him for a brief moment. A kid who was just probably starting to approach his puberty stage.


" It was fine. " Ellan says towards the unknown variable. And he also thought that it was strange that the eccentric NPC was asking for a name. Should he already aware of their name? Still, he would supply the strange NPC with his username... An NPC who was totally unknown. He who had suddenly appeared in front of them and startling Eden to the verge of her conscious getting out of the game.


" You can call me Knight Elegance. "


Ellan replied to the inquiry of his username.


" Knight Elegance? " 


The NPC repeated sounding confused as he look at him frowning. While the NPC was also confused of the situation, Ellan was also confused.


He wasn't certain if the map have lead them towards this village... for a very special event or them accidentally discovering a hidden quest.


[ ??????? ]


The strange NPC in front of him was totally an unknown. In a metamorphic and literal way. He looks like a weird combination of an NPC and a monster. It was Ellan's first time on seeing a ghost NPC. Sure, they have encountered monsters like wraiths and undead monsters like skeleton or ghouls, but this was the first time that Ellan have seen a ghost NPC in this virtual reality game.


It was eccentrically fascinating. And it was obvious to him that there are an obvious bug. It was this NPC who was currently stand– floating in front of him. He doesn't know why this one was different from the other NPC that they have encountered. 


His name are in question marks and any result of the appraisal that was a freely given ability during this beta test aren't working with him. It was also how they have discover his presence as a " [??????] " was keep showing up in their surroundings while they sweep their eyes around the village. It was mostly thanks to Eden who was so nervous that she keep looking around because of her fright that they discovered this NPC.


--


While Ellan was musing on his thoughts, Noah was glancing at the unconscious Eden hesitantly and feeling guilty.


" Would be she alright? "


Noah asked at the person that was called 'Knight Elegance'. He was certain that wasn't a name that was given to him. He was a fool if he would believe that it was a name. It was proper if it would be called a title. And who would be a fool of a parent that would decide to call their child with that kind of awkward and flashy name? Noah thought that if even he was still self absorbed with his delusions and fantasies, he would never accept to be different with that kind of name. It was strange and embarrassing. He would rather lock himself in his room forever than go outside bearing that kind of name.


Noah waited for answer while different thoughts were running on his head.


" Yes, my little sister would be alright. Don't worry she would wake up later. "


Noah look at the Knight dubiously but he sounded so confident. 


" Sir... Knight Elegance? " Noah says. He grimaced as the those two words left his lips. It was really awkward and flashy. " Wouldn't you wanted to place your sibling in a comfortable position ? "


" No. " The Knight said. He even look so cheerful when he said those word. Now, he was even smiling. 


Noah doesn't know if this world has a weird culture. It's true that he have read from the books that Fantasy creatures and monsters exist here. But as he haven't gotten out of the village, he wasn't certain if other people would treat their siblings like this.


He watched helplessly as the Knight left his sibling to the ground. Even if he was a ghost and he can't feel the temperature, Noah was certain that the ground was cold. It was evening and the village was shrouded with mists and fogs.


Helplessly, Noah decided to follow the Knight instead of waiting for the lady to wake up. He wanted to know what are they doing here in the village and maybe he can ask some questions?


--


Ellan started wondering around the village again. He walk around the paved streets made of stones and he was also tempted to enter the houses. On his way, he can see items that was discarded to the ground. He drooled at the freebie items. Ellan wanted to grab them. But then, the appraisal was showing that the item can't be picked and it also contain a curse.


Those items that Ellan would occasionally encounter ranged from equipments, special items and tools. The rarity of those items are ranging from green to blue, with some violet Even through they weren't as good his own equipment, Ellan bet that he can still make a fortune with them. It's just a pity that the appraisal was telling him that he couldn't pick the items.


" Do you want to pick those items Sir Knight Elegance? "


Ellan turned his head towards the NPC. He saw the NPC was looking at him with a frown and disappointment? It was strange. Ellan thought. There was something different from this NPC. Not just because of his obvious eccentricity being a ghost NPC, but with the way that he acts and respond. He decided that he would report it to the game developers later once the beta test have ended.


Ellan nodded his head to the question.  He watched as the NPC sighed and now it was obvious that he was disappointed.


" I'm sorry but you can't pick up those items Sir Knight Elegance. "


This was different from Ellan's expected procedure. Usually, those kind of questions was supposed to lead into a quest. Why it still didn't happened? Does he still need to pull more effort and talk?


" I am aware of the condition of this items.. and I am aware that they are cursed. " 


" And you still wanted to pick them up? "


The NPC look at him with disbelief. Ellan nodded his head.


" Sir Knight Elegance, nothing good would come out of picking of those items. You shouldn't let the sin of greed consume you. "


The quest aren't still appearing. Ellan thought. How should he made this NPC issue him a quest?


" I see. Then I would give up on picking those cursed items. "


The NPC narrowed his eyes at him. He was showing an expression of suspicion.


" Nothing good would come out of greed. You should stop your greediness Sir Knight Elegance. "


The NPC enunciated each words clearly and with precision. Ellan was starting to get intimidated by the NPC and he feels that the surroundings was getting colder. Ellan didn't want the NPC to be hostile just like those town guards in the beginners town.


" I swear! " Ellan exclaimed. " I wouldn't pick those items! I have no plan to pick them up!! Uhh.. Do you have anything that you wanted? "


The cold have lessened and now the NPC ghost was eyeing him with less suspicion but he was also confused.


" What's with that question all of a sudden? "


Damn it, when will the shitty quest would appear?


" Do you have something that you want? Maybe I could do it in your place? "


The ghost was frowning now. 


" Do you have a request or a wish? I could fulfill it for you. "


" Hmmmm...not really? Sir Knight Elegance I was confused on how your mind works. I wonder why are you asking that kind of question. "


What the... Is this NPC somehow defective? Where's the quest? It should have already appeared! Ellan was starting to lose his patience. He was now certain that there was wrong with his NPC! He would really report this NPC to the devs!


Ellan stared at the NPC. The latter look so innocently confused. Ellan tried to curve down the anger that was rising within him.


" Are your head alright? "


But he failed when those words came out of the NPC.


" Just give me a quest damn it! You're an N– "


A flamethrower made their way to his front. Ellan have barely manage to dodge them. He was surprised by the sudden attack. He look and glared back at where the attack came from.


" Bastard Brother!! "


Eden shouted at him and she wore a proud smirk on her face while she was holding her hand cannon. 


" What is that?! "


The ghost look at Eden with shock and fright. 


Huh..he never thought that an obvious dead NPC would still feel fear. The devs have really made this game as realistic as possible. 


Eden walk towards them. Ellan hold down the urge to attack or freaking kill Eden in front of the NPC. The NPC was still a child so maybe he would in a state of shock if he did that. Since Eden's attack have worked on this village, it also means that this is a place where players are allowed to kill each other. There are no system rules that would stop them.


" How unkind of you brother to left me in the ground? " 


Eden says as she made her best pathetic and pitiful expression that would made many people to clamor and sympathetic for her. It was just a pity that it wouldn't work for him.


" You deserve it. " 


He said not caring. Ellan watched as the ghost look at him and Eden in disbelief. Hesitantly, he made his way towards Eden carefully within a distance.


" Miss, are you alright? "


Eden look surprised when the NPC have asked her. She must thought that the NPC was eccentric just like what he thought of it.


" Yes, I'm fine now. "


" I see. " The NPC smiled. Ellan watched as Eden stiffened.


" I'm sorry if I have surprise you. I really apologize for my actions. I really didn't mean it. I am just curious when I have seen you enter the village so I decided to follow you two to guess your intentions towards the village. "


The ghost NPC says worriedly. He look so anxious and insecure. Eden relax her posture at the NPC's words. 


" I see, no need to be worried Mr. Little Ghost! We have come to this village with good intentions. We have just defeated a boss– "


" Boss? " He questioned then he says, "Anyway, my name isn't Mr.Little Ghost! I didn't know that you are a racist!– Wait, was it a racism or should I accuse you of uhh..what is it called again? Ahhh..this is frustrating my memory is faulty, forget it! ...wait, where are we again? "


" Umm...were currently at your village. " Eden hesitantly replied.


Idiot! Ellan berated inside his mind.


" Yes, I know that we are inside our village Miss. But what I meant was in the topic. If I recall..you are talking about a Boss? "


" Ah! Yes, a boss! " Eden exclaimed. " Right..." She says starting to feel embarrassed. " We have gotten the map after defeating the merchant. 


" The merchant? You mean that deceitful stranger who have placed the cursed in our village? "


" Yeah! That's him! Before we have defeated him, he have even told us the story on how he have cursed your village. "


They watched as the NPC trembled and took a deep breath. Ellan wondered if he does really need to take a breath. He was a ghost. He was already dead. The NPC was really eccentric.


They waited for the ghost to calm down before he asked a question.


" You have said that you have defeated him? "


" Yes! " Eden replied cheerfully. Ellan wanted to whack her in the head. Can't she obviously see that the kid looks like he have gotten shock from the information. It looks like the kid was traumatized from the events.


" I see... " The kid trailed off. " You have my thanks. " He says.


Ellan and Eden watched as the kid started crying. 


Ellan didn't know that a ghost knows to cry. He have also the sudden realization that this NPC was different not just because he was a ghost. He was different because he was obviously much more intelligent and more real than the other Non Playable Characters. 


" Thank you so much. "


The NPC says as he cried in happiness.


[ You have gained the gratitude of {Noah Aster} + 50 goodwill ]


Ellan thought that it was like they were really talking to a very real and alive person instead of some character in a game. 

1