Ch8: Questions
43 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: Questions

After being revealed the shocking information to him, Noah started to calm down between the hiccups and snot which was really gross. He would never really get used to the idea of the ghost being able to cry and produce tears. Living as a ghost is difficult. Over the last 5 years, Noah have come across in a lot of difficult problems. Managing his emotions and mood swings are included. He didn't know why, but it seems as a ghost, it was easy for his emotions to overwhelm him. Noah was disappointed to himself. He was acting like a teenager but he can't anything about it.

After getting in control of his emotions again, he was a bit embarrassed by his behavior. And for these two people to even witness his display, he wanted to hide himself in the ground. Or not... since, there were instances where he can get stuck and he wouldn't he able to get out.

" Are you alright now? "

The younger and kinder of the two asked. Noah thought that the lady is kinder and the Knight was kinda a cruel asshole. He was cruel. (Noah's mind quickly ignored that the lady have just nearly roasted her brother with her terrifying weapon)

" Yes, I'm fine. "

" I'm glad. "

Eden smiled gently. Her eyes are warm as she look at Noah and tried to pat his head but her hand went through as if she have touched nothing. She let out a gasp for a moment before continuing to smile as if nothing has happened.

Ellan shot his little sister a dirty look. He was suspicious of her actions. He watched as the ghost NPC suddenly started feeling shy under his little sister's 'affectionate' and 'kind' gaze.

Ellan gagged into the background as he watched the scene. Disgusting! He hoped to wipe out or bleach his eyes with holy water.

" Thanks..." Noah said as he stared at the lady. Now, that he look at her, she was very pretty. She was also nice. He thought. Noah's gaze went through the weapon that she was holding in her left hand. It look so heavy but she can carry it so easily that it looks like the weight of the weapon didn't bother her at all. Noah's mind quickly supplied that the lady was also strong and powerful.

Noah was starting to feel weird. He decided to ignore it and stare between the lady's pretty face, her weapon and the knight. He need to sort out his curiosity and priority.

" Can I ask something lady? " Hesitantly, Noah asked and hoped that he didn't offended the lady.

" Sure. " Eden agreed with a nonchalant expression while Ellan was being feeling left out.

" I hope that you wouldn't be offended by the question but how can you defeat him? His curse was so powerful... " Noah trailed off. His eyes becoming glaze for a moment before they gained it's clarity. He shook his head out of his depressive thoughts and stare at the lady while waiting for her answer.

Eden unconsciously smiled as she look at the NPC. He was so eccentric and adorable. She can also tell that there was something off with this NPC in a good way. Eden decided to entertain the NPC's question since he was interesting. It was also better to talk to this NPC than her bastard of a so called brother. He was a complete asshole for leaving her character body in the ground just because she was forcefully logged out of a game because she was shocked. Yeah, she was definitely going to ignore him.

Eden smiled as she took out something from her storage item. Noah look at it with a confused expression on his face and he was also a bit shock when the item suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

" ...Uh, Lady what's that? "

" This.. " Eden raise her hand as she showed the item with a proud and smug expression on her face. " Is the proof that were strong and powerful enough to overcome his power. "

On the background, Ellan was looking at his sister with a deadpan look on his face while berating her in his mind for her idiocy.

" Also, we are on a higher level than him. We also have good equipments and skills so that's why we have manage to defeat the merchant. " Eden added to her explanation.

" Level? "

Noah muttered confused. So it wasn't just the classes concept that taught to him by his parents during the past lessons are applied to the rules of this world. There was also the level rule. It was surprising and confusing at the same time. This world, have more than RPG elements than he thought.

Noah ignored the foreboding feeling and stared to the item that has currently his full attention. He can't quite determine why this item was a proof of his defeat. Then, he suddenly have a horrible thought and look at the two siblings filled with disbelief.

" You have took off his pants?! "

Noah groaned secretly inside his mind hoping to erase the horrible imagery.

" Nope!~ "

Eden replied cheerfully. Noah sighed in relief.

" He dropped his pants. "

Noah pulled a strange face. He look at the Knight and he only got a nod of confirmation.

" Sorry what?...He dropped his pants? "

Noah asked for confirmation. He didn't believe it. A horrible imagery cropped into his mind again and no, bad brain! Don't go into that direction!

" He have dropped his pants 100 %! "

Eden cheerfully confirmed. She eagerly look as the NPC sputtered and look at them in disbelief. Ellan brought his hand in his forehead as he stared at his little sister exasperatedly. He wanted to kick off that happy expression on her face for making the NPC to turn into that state and he was also starting to get slightly suspicious towards the NPC.

It was strange. Did the devs really manage to create this NPC? He was too reactive and differently intelligent from the other AI in this virtual reality game.

After the strange event, Noah decided to make them feel welcome and become their make shift tour guide voluntarily. He told them some things about the village that he learned from his parents and the villagers. He let them explore and walk around the village while he was following them and made sure that they wouldn't touch the cursed items that was from that accursed stranger whom this two people have successfully defeated.

Ellan and Eden have look at the every nook and cranny of the village in interest. They have confirmed that this NPC ghost called Noah Aster is the only NPC in this village. He was also like the other rare NPCs that they encountered in the game who can also travel around freely. They wondered if there would be some escorting quest that would pop out later if they have managed to foster their good relationship more towards this ghost NPC.

Every now and then, the NPC would asked different random questions from them like...

" Can I ask how did you come across the Merchant? "

" Well, we were fulfilling the request of some elder from the nearby town. "

" Request? So you go around to fulfill people's request and help them? So you were telling the truth from earlier? "

" Yeah, we have done a lot of request. Listen, we were a full pledge adventurers! " Ellan said as a matter of fact.

" We are Sillegens. " Eden added helpfully.

The NPC looked at them with confusion. It was then that they realize that there was a lot of wrong toward this NPC. AI are supposed to be aware of their condition as a player. The NPC in front of them weren't and he didn't recognize them as one. They explained towards the NPC what the word meant.

" Blessed Ones? "

" Yes. "

" So you are blessed by the God.. Are you two are Heroes who would defeat the Demon Lord?! "

The two siblings were surprised by the NPC's speculation and they were also secretly relieved but also disappointed when no major legendary quests have pop out. Despite the NPC's intelligence, it appeared that he was a none important figure in the game.

Ellan was now certain that the NPC is a bug and there are something that went wrong when the game is in the process of being created. Perhaps his intelligence has been misplaced and it was supposed to be placed in an important NPC figure here in the game. Not on a kid who have been turned ghost where Ellan was certain that another bug has happened in the game. This was also the first time that the two siblings have encountered a bug in the game. So far, their beta test went smoothly and well despite being an obvious noobs at first thus, resulting to a lot of deaths and mistakes.

" Yeah, you could say it like that... We would defeat the demon lord. Maybe when we are powerful enough? But right now, we aren't still powerful enough. "

" I see.."

The NPC muttered. They have continued on their way on exploring the Village. The two siblings were surprised when the NPC have now allowed them to enter the houses. It was obvious how the treatment of the NPC towards them have changed.

[ ????: Noah Aster

Level: 5

Race: ———

Class: ———

Goodwill: 85 [ Hero Worship ]   ]

They were also surprised when they opened their screen stats again and learned that his goodwill towards them have dramatically risen.

Meanwhile, the NPC had also continued to satisfy his curiosity and keep asking them about their adventures with expectation. Eden decided to comply and regal the kid with their exploits and adventures. She summarize to him the journey of their story. On how from the start, they were trained and keep practicing in the beginners town. How they really need to learn the skills and Eden practicing with her accuracy and how the heck her weapon works. (She really didn't expect the level of the perverse virtual reality that the game developers have made.) With his brother practicing his sword skills and really reading the skill books. Eden had told the NPC their first task on helping a person and how it went on and they have slayed monsters and become stronger. In the end, Eden have also told the NPC on what skills and move did they used to defeat the Merchant. On all of the adventures, Eden didn't mention on how they loss and died a lot of times that Eden have already forgotten to tract of their death count while comparing it to the other beta testers and their progress. She also didn't mention the other beta testers.

" Wait, so you didn't really surrender the Merchant towards the Inquisitors? "

The NPC asked them.

" Yes. We have defeated him. "

Noah's breath suddenly hitched. He suddenly feels that there was something stuck on his lungs even through there wasn't. He feels that he can't breathe even he really didn't need to breathe as a ghost.

Earlier, he had thought that they just defeated the Merchant and he was surrendered towards the Inquisitor and he would get a trial for the crimes and sins that he have done. They have also mentioned why the Merchant went towards the dark path and even through he was very angry and wanted to kill the Merchant himself– but it was impossible since he was weak and powerless.

He thought that the Merchant was now being processed for his trial. It was a pity that he wasn't. After all, his parents and the villagers probably wanted that thing to happened towards the Merchant. That kind of justice that would be served towards the sins that he have done.

" Are you alright? "

Eden asked. Noah nodded his head and shook himself out again of his depressive thoughts. As the time passed, Noah can see the moon and it would be sinking and the dawn would be approaching. They were currently in the village's gates. It's have been five years since Noah have meet and talk towards someone. It's been long but looks like that they have a business that they needed to do.

Reluctantly, Noah bid their farewell to them and asked.

" Would you visit the village again? "

" Well, we are in a hurry. " Eden sadly replied. They were in a pinch for the beta test. Soon, the beta test would end. They can't afford to waste their time here.

" Soon.. "

Eden says as she gaze at the NPC's hopeful smile. They left the village and went to forest and log out in the virtual reality game.

1