Chapter 6: Demons and Undead
1.4k 11 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Black’s hand was an unpolished gem with a diameter equal to half her height.. The gem had a shining blue center that pulsed with mana while the outer edges were a deep dark blue. After observing it for a while Black placed it back on the table.

“Sage Adam, have you discovered anything?’ The speaker was a middle aged man, wearing a navy blue captain’s uniform with a white peaked cap bearing the insignia of the Black God. He ignored how Black lifted the large gem with one hand and only thought. As expected of a Sage.

Beside the captain were the members of the Holy Dragon Knights, Knight Captain Richard Lionel and Silver.

“Aside from this gem, did you discover anything abnormal in the creature?” 

“There was a strange feature of the creature. It seemed to have been composed of numerous different beasts that have somehow fused together.” The captain of the Vimana frowned as he recalled the report. “There was no discernable reason as to why they were fused, the only indicator was the sudden change in structure of the flesh.”

“Can you tell what kind of creatures it was comprised of?” Black asked.

“According to the autopsy,” The captain pulled out the paper report that was on the desk and flipped through it. “The shell around the head seemed to be of a Nautilus, the head itself seemed to be that of a giant octopus, the torso and main body was that of a Cetus, and the tentacles of a kraken.”

Black covered the lower half of her face as she spoke a single word. “Chimera.”

“Chimera?” Richard said in confusion, having never heard of that word.

“It’s a creature that does not appear in nature, comprised of numerous different other creatures to form a single one. An unnatural existence.” Black said.

Silver frown. “By unnatural you mean?”

Black nodded. “In other words it was created by someone or something.” 

“Is it the new threat that the Black God has prophesied?” Richard whispered to himself.

“There’s a bigger concern.” Black pointed at the blue gem. “This seems to be the creature’s core, even more important than its heart. A creature like that shouldn’t have been naturally possible, so that core should be responsible for keeping it alive and powering it.”

“Core?” Silver asked, knowing the full implications. “Is it like the Divine Core of the Greatwyrms?”

Black shook her head. “Sorry, that was a bad choice of words. Let’s call it a magic gem instead. It acts like a storage device to absorb and accumulate mana in the air. With this in its body, it has a greater magic potential than other creatures.” Black held her hand to her chest where she could feel her own pseudo core pulse with mana. 

“That’s bad.” The captain said as he thought of the implications. “Luckily it doesn’t seem the other creatures have a core.”

“That may not be.” Black said. “It is currently unknown whether or not the creatures of the land have magic gems inside of them. Perhaps in the future more and more creatures will have these magic gems inside of them depending on how the corruption works.”

Richard had a serious expression as he gripped his hands. “If the creatures of the Three Greatlands were to develop magic gems then civilization will change. If they were to all exhibit the power of that chimera then there will be mass casualties. The Elysius Theocracy may be able to cope with our great strength, but the other two continents may be under crisis.” 

Black shrugged as she went back to observing the magic gem. “There shouldn't be that great of a concern. Not all creatures will be able to cope with a magic gem inside of them. And not all of them will be this large, in fact many of them will probably only be the size of a fingernail.”

“Right now, the scope of the change is only limited to the Fractured Lands. We need to inform the other nations of this change as soon as possible. We may not have been the only one to be attacked. Inform the capital and have them transmit the information to the other nations and the other churches of the Seven Pillar Faith. Do not hide anything, also maintain a higher state of alertness. We may be attacked once more.”

The captain nodded and left along with the Knight Captain Richard. But Silver stayed behind.

“You’re in a good mood.” Silver said as she observed Black continued to magic gem.

“Yeah, although it might be a bit dangerous for awhile for the mortals, this thing is actually a pretty good development.” Black said as she once again picked the chimera’s magic gem. “With this, mortals will be able to use magic tools without the need of a mage or trained in the use of magic. Mages can just create magic tools with these as the core. The tools can even be reusable as only time is needed for the mana to be replenished inside these magic gems.” 

Silver walked up and Black handed her the magic for her to inspect.

“It’s about half empty.” Silver commented. “It seemed that you killed it before the mana inside could be used up. But it seems that you can create your own magic gems if you put enough work into it. In fact didn’t you create a pseudo core that is like this magic gem?”

Black waved her hand in a “no way” motion. “It takes too long. The success rate isn’t high either. Although I say unnatural, the way this gem has been formed is actually pretty natural inside the chimera’s body. With a little bit of processing, its usage will increase.” 

“What do you even plan on creating with these magic gems?” Silver asked.

“It’s a long time dream, in fact every man will have this dream once. It’s to pilot a g*****!” Black said, excitement shining in her eyes.

“But you’re a woman though.” Silver said.

“Dragons don’t have genders, plus I identify as a man.” Black said to Silver’s skeptical look.


In the end, the information came too late for the other expedition parties. By the time the other nations and churches received the information contact had already been lost. In order to prevent such an occurrence from happening again, it was decided that the Elysius Theocracy would construct a teleportation circle in the Fractured Lands and the other nations and churches will send their expedition party to the Elysium to be teleported into the Fractured Lands.

But that wouldn’t be happening for a few months as the fleet had just landed onto their destination.

And now Black leveled an area near the shore into a flat land. And by herself she constructed a teleportation circle causing those who were knowledgeable about magic to be awed into submission at her magical prowess. 

The teleportation lit up and soon a whole slew of people comprising of more knights, builders, mages, and even three Sages appeared. The three sages immediately bowed to Black, but she waved them off as she started the teleportation circle once more. After several uses, the ground was filled with numerous materials and supplies.

“Adam?,” among the newcomers was Myrddin who couldn’t return in time for the send off of the fleet. The white robed mage was staring in surprise at Black who was waving at him. “Another homunculus?”

Black placed a single in front of her lips. Myrddin quickly stopped talking, lest he let slip Black’s secrets.

“Phoebe, Trishur, Yvils, the teleportation circle will be your assignment. I’m sure coming to the Fracture Land will be an opportunity for you three.” Black said.

“At your command, milord.” The three bowed and accepted their job.

Black nodded as he left with Silver and Myrddin into a recently erected building. The inside was a bit plain but it had all the necessary furniture and adornments. 

Silver eyed the young made with interest. “So is this your newest mortal?”

Myrddin gave a confused expression at Silver’s way of addressing him.

“Pleased to meet you. I have been Black’s friend from before the Greatwyrm Era.” Silver said as she flashed a smile, a beautiful and proud smile.

“From before the Greatwyrm Era?” Myrddin muttered, then realization flashed through his eyes as his eyes widened as he looked at Silver. “Y-you are?”

“You may address me as Vivian, the name Black has given me.” Silver flashed a brilliant smile once more. 

“Lady Vivian.” Myrddin said as he bowed his head, showing his reverence to one of the Seven Pillar Gods. 

“Hmmmm.” Silver narrowed her eyes in satisfaction. “Not bad, you know your place. I hope our future interaction is as enjoyable as this moment however short your mortal life is.”

Myrdding said nothing, he kept receiving a feeling that the Greatwyrm before him didn’t like him that much.

Black sighed as she watched Silver. “Hey Myrddin, which Greatwyrm do you think Vivian is?”

Myrddin turned his gaze away from Black’s cat smile and observed Silver, who held her head proudly neither hiding nor shying away from the mortal gaze. 

Ignoring the beautifully alluring features of the Silver’s face, Myrddin brow furrowed as he observed Silver’s appearance. If there was one thing that popped in his mind it was the color silver. The silver hair, silver eyes, even the shining mithril armor of hers lacked the blueish tint unique to mithril and instead had a holy like goal with the light runes carved into them.

“If I had to guess, Lady Vivian would be the incarnation of the Silver God, the Steelwyrm.” Myrddin said. 

Black rested her cheek on the palm of her hand that was atop the table. “Well, the only one more obvious would be Blue herself. We Greatwryms aren’t exactly subtle in the regard. If you had guessed wrong, I would have seriously suspected your intelligence.”

“I had that this was trick question Adam-” 

“That’s lady Adam to you.” Silver interrupted Myrddin with a solemn look. “Although Black has graciously permitted you to accept her friendship, never forget that we are different from you mortals.” Silver said.

“Every few thousands years, Black would find someone like you. Talented and youthful to accompany her for a fleeting moment. But it all ends the same. In the end you will leave this world and Black will suffer because of it. It’s best if you don’t get too close to Black.”

“Silver.” Black’s tone wasn’t good as she gave a warning glance to her fellow Greatwyrm. “That’s enough. This is my choice, who knows this one might become immortal one day.”

Silver returned Black’s gaze peacefully. “At what cost?”

Myrddin could only sit there in awkward silence at the two Greatwyrms’ contest of wills, hopefully shrinking his existence to the smallest point that two before him will ignore his small existence.

He could feel the mana in the air petrify as the two Greatwyrms continued to talk. It was a nerve wracking experience, he felt like a tiny boat amidst the ocean during a storm-no, it was a tiny boat barely staying afloat atop the ocean amidst a giant hurricane.

Luckily for Myrddin the tension between Black and Silver settled down. Black smiled at the pale mage.

“Sorry, about that. Usually during your lifetime you and Vivian would never meet.” Black said, her gaze carefree.

“Mortal, I won’t interfere with Black’s choice however do not forget you have in your hands the power that will hurt a Greatwyrm. Contemplate carefully on your future actions.” Silver said, her gaze no longer as hostile, however a tinge of unwillingness was still in her voice. 

Thankfully the uneasy air between the three was dissolved with the arrival of food. It was a bowl of white rice filled with an assortment of different slices of raw fish, all gleaming beautifully under the light. 

Black smiled. “I haven’t had chirashi donburi in quite awhile.”

Silver and Myrddin both picked up their utensils, chopsticks for Silver and a fork for Myrddin. After a satisfying meal, for Black at least. The trio began to talk about the main business. 

“So you have been fully briefed on why we’re here right?” Black said, looking at Myrddin.

Myrddin nodded his head. “I read the reports, I have memorized the magic circle for purification as well.”

“You won’t have much use for it though.” Black said. “There are already mage orders in charge of setting up the formation. Of course setting up the formation is probably the easiest process in all of this.” 

“Our first priority will be to construct a base where we will start our offensive. Currently we are doing that. The next step would be a scouting force to secure the area, if there are any hostile life the knights will suppress and clear them out. Then we will construct the magic circle at key points to maximize their effectiveness.”

“So are we the scouting force?” Myrddin asked. From Myrddin’s understanding of Black, she was not the type to wait, rather than reach Black would rather be the to cause others to react. Whether friend or foe.

“Nope, we’re explorers.” Black grinned, showing her sharp incisors. “We’re going to be going deep inside the Fractured Land and uncovering the mystery of the Fracture Lands. Mortals don’t have much information concerning the Fractured Lands, well mortals from the Three Greatlands at least. Especially with the change recently.”

“I’ve read about it in the report, but can you elaborate?” Myrddin asked. 

“Well currently the biggest change in living life is the discovery of magic gems inside of beasts.” Black said, holding her finger up. “We have already hunted the surrounding beasts. None of them show two much change from regular beasts but two were discovered to have fingernail sized magic gems inside them.”

“Can I have a look at them?” Myrddin asked, his eyes full of interest. 

Black shook her head. “Maybe later. Right now, although the percentage of beasts with magic gems is low, there’s a high chance that the percentage will increase per species. Right now the Elysius Theocracy are keeping an eye out to see if the beasts there will evolve magic gems. For ease of calling, those with magic gems will be called demons from now on.”

“Demons huh?” Myrddin muttered to himself.

“But the greatest threat aren’t these magic beasts but undead, the violators of life.” Black said her expression was extremely serious. “You should have read the report right?”

“I did.” Merlin said, his brows were creased in deep thought. “How does the dead come back to life?”

“Magic gems.” Black said. “I used my true body to gather a few test subjects and I found that all of them contained magic gems. So far the only undead I could find are mindless and seemed to have driven to kill and devour the living, preferably those of the same species when it was alive. The most disconcerting fact would be that I cannot detect their souls.”

“Souls?” Myrddin said. “I have read numerous theories on the soul, but what exactly is a soul.”

“The base of all life.” Black said. “I’ve done numerous research on immortality but the block that I keep running into is the soul.”

Silver’s eyes flashed with an unknown emotion before her eyes became peaceful once more.

“Making the body immortal is actually pretty easy. I can do it right now to any of the mortals here, but the problem is the soul.” Black raised one finger. “I too do not know much about the soul, but those whose body I turned immortal had two outcomes. One, the preferred outcome, is the soul leaves the body and the body becomes a mindless puppet.”

Black raised the second finger. “The second outcome is horrifying to watch. At first there will be no signs, but eventually you will descend into madness until you become a mindless berserker that craves the flesh of the living.”

“Mindless berserker, isn’t that like the undead described in the report!?” Myrddin exclaimed. 

Black nodded. “However, unlike mine these are raised from the dead with their flesh completely mortal. I hypothesize that they craze the living because they lack a soul.”

“Would it be possible for you to create these undead?” Myrddin asked.

Black paused. “Theoretically if I focus my attention toward this I could possibly unleash a similar phenomenon. But despite these first few not having souls, it does not mean an undead without a soul will not appear.”

“Could it be another dragon that is causing this?” Myrddin asked.

Black shook her head. “The origin of the man is corrupted. Actually rather than corrupted, it can be said that the mana of our world is being merged with another type of energy from another world. Right now this reality and another reality are connected, just as the energy from that reality is leaking over. The mana from our work is leaking over there too. However we still do not know if this is intentional.”

“It shouldn’t be. Shub Niggurath was a mindless beast, it isn’t capable of such complex magic.” Silver said as she recalled her battles with the Outer God.

“Not necessarily.” Black said. “What if Shub Niggurath appeared here because the other world couldn’t slay and thus they decided to send it away?”

“With them capable of such magic, I don’t think they would be incapable of killing Shub Niggurath.” Silver said. Myrddin listened intently, the scope of the conversation out of his understanding.

“Who knows, perhaps the other world can easily open holes to other realities but aren’t capable in combat.” Black said. “I actually tried to send a homunculus through the hole in the core of the Fractured Lands, but I lost connection.”

“Will your homunculus leak anything concerning this world?” Silver asked.

Black smiled. “Don’t worry, I set the homunculus to self destruct if the connection was ever cut. I’m currently studying another one of these holes, but it is different from the ones near the core of the Fractured Land. I suspect that these lead to different worlds.” Most likely Earth. Black thought to herself.

“I can study the holes there if the land surrounding is purified or I familiarize myself with mana.”

“Too risky,” Silver said. Dragons, even Greatwyrms, like them were creatures of condensed mana. To familiarize themselves with the corrupted mana was basically inducting a foreign element into their body. Naturally Silver wouldn’t reveal such a weakness openly.

“I agree.” Black said. “But I did discover what may be the source of the undead near the holes.”

“Isn’t the corruption the source of the undead?” Myrddin asked.

“No, the corruption only increased due to the holes opening once more. It strengthened the present corruption from the corpse the Outer Gods left.” Black said. “The source of the undead is different. But unlike the Outer God of yore, this invader has some intelligence or an instinct to hide. I cannot locate it.”

Myrddin frowned as worry was expressed upon his face. “This is bad.”

“It’s about equal.” Black said. “This new threat isn’t as physically powerful as the Outer God. One Greater Dragon should be able to defeat it, but the problem is that it seems capable of amassing an army. You read about the chimera the fleet encountered right?”

Myrddin nodded.

“After further inspection we discovered the chimera wasn’t exactly alive. It was dead, but pre programmed like a golem. I suspect it was a scout sent out to explore the world from the new threat.”

“That’s absurd.” Myrddin said.

Black gave a thin smile, her eyes cold. “Well, the threat does originate from another world. But I’m concerned about another discovery.” 

Silver tightened the strength in her fist, causing it to whiten.

“I discover traces of a dragon skeleton. It seems that this new threat is not only capable of reviving beings of flesh but spirits as well, something that should be impossible as once a spirit dies they leave nothing behind. Only traces of their mana.”

“Are you saying…”

“That’s right. We have an undead dragon on the loose. Most likely under the beings control and hidden from us.” Black said. “But we’re getting off track. I’m expecting us to meet the new threat or the dragolich this soon.”

“This new threat seems to be the patient type aside from sending scouts, there is no trace of it at all. You probably won’t encounter it in your lifetime, unless you can become immortal in both soul and flesh. I expect this expedition to take several decades if not centuries.”

Black knocked on the table snapping Myrddin out of his deep contemplation. “So now that the heavy stuff is out of the way. Let’s talk about how we’re going to explore the Fracture Lands.”


Sorry for the late chapter, I was originally on planning to finish this yesterday, but...I got preoccupied by important business.

On another note, I'm in quite the good mood today. I pulled Sigurd in 1 multi in Fate Grand Order yesterday. :D

26