Chapter 5: Assault from the Sea
1.7k 19 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The salty sea air struck Black’s face as she continued to drink her tea on the deck of the ship. The breeze was neither too heavy nor too light, just perfect enough to cool the heavy sun heated air. Naturally this was the result of the magic barrier surrounding the ship as it flew through the air.

“Black, this form of yours is just so cute. I want to take you back to Daedalus with me.” Across from Black sat the human form of Silver in all her armor. 

“Call me Adam in this form, Vivian. Most of my followers do not know I roam amongst them.” Black said as she placed her teacup down.

“But whenever I look at you, I cannot think of any other word to call you but Black.” Silver commented.

Black shrugged. “Would you say that to the high ranked priestess, they wear black as well.”

“There’s no way I could associate black with them. You are different with your alabaster skin, pitch black hair, and those dark eyes of yours. Even your aura turns the mana around to black.” Silver said as she reached out to cup Black’s cheek.

“I’m quite proud of this body. I’ve meticulously crafted this homunculus body with a pseudo core that stores and absorbs mana. Even compared to the stronger spirits, with my staff.” Black motioned towards her staff that was leaning against the tea table. A long black staff with gilded gold and a large sculpted crystal cylinder on the head with two dragonic wings surrounding it. “This body can even fight to a draw against the higher ranked spirits.”

Silver sighed as she observed Black’s current body. “I must say, you must be the only being in this world with multiple bodies.”

“They can be considered bodies, but not my true self. My true body is still most important otherwise these bodies would just fall over unresponsive if my connection were to be cut away from them.” Black said.

“Will your body be fine in the Fractured Lands then?” Silver asked, concerned. 

“There’s no problem. I have this on me.” Black pointed towards the choker with a purple jewel on her neck. “This allows me to establish a stable connection with my main body. Of course if there’s too much corrosion, the effect would lessen.”

“That’s good, but still... traveling this way is quite slow. We haven’t even arrived after five days.” Silver said.

“The ship could go faster in a way that would not damage it at all. Actually this ship can go quite fast and arrive at the Fractured Lands ahead of the other ships, it has a barrier specifically for skyfaire after all. But the other ships do not have such a function. Not even speaking of if the ship breaks down from all the pressure from such a reckless speed, but the crew would probably faint or even die before then.” Black picked up a thousand layer cake the pastry chef on the ship made.

“Why don’t the other ships have the barriers then?” Silver asked.

“Because I’m not going to inscribe the barriers one after one on all the ships. It’s too time consuming. Creating the gravity sphere for the ships is already troublesome enough, not to mention all the time it took me to create a generator to power the ship with it.” Black resisted the urge to stretch as she recalled the years she spent cooped up in the same position creating the necessary parts for the ships. Before she suddenly realized it would be much easier to create a blueprint for the devices and leave it to the sages to construct.

She nearly rammed her head through a pillar when she thought of the idea.

The two spent some more time on small talk, mainly concerning the lives of mortals and how they lived their short lives. It was only until the Knight Captain of the Sentinels came out that they stopped.

“Sage Adam, Lady Vivian a fine day isn’t it?”

“Sir Lionel, how have you been? The sky treating you well I hope?” Black said while Silver just nodded.

Richard Lionel flashed his signature smile, his white teeth shining under the sunlight. But neither Black nor Silver had a change in expression. “I am feeling better, indeed. It is my first time traveling so far away from the land. Flying above land and flying above water, indeed does give two completely different atmospheres and sensations.”

“Really? I cannot feel any difference.” Silver said.

Richard turned his gaze on her with a smile while secretly surveying her armor and sword. “I was unaware the United City States had ships capable of flight.” Richard said.

Silver closed her mouth. The United City States indeed did not have ships capable of flying, and Silver, capable of supersonic flight in her true form, felt no need to procure some from Black. “Sir Lionel may not know but some Valkyries of the Silver Gods are blessed with wings capable of flight.” Black interjected on Silver’s behalf.

Richard nodded. “I see, I did not know that the Silver God could bless her followers with wings. As expected of a sage, said to the wisest of the world.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about being the wisest of the world, knowledgeable would be more apt.” Black replied. “Each of the Seven Pillar Gods are capable of granting specific blessings unique to them.”

“I have heard that those Blessed by the Red God are all  powerful warriors capable of routing armies with their might. But the least I have heard are the followers of the Blue God.” Richard said.

“So you are quite interested in the other Pillar Gods?” Black asked with interest. 

Richard laughs. “Nothing of the sort, at the very least my interest would not even reach the level of a sage. I’m most interested in the holy artifacts of the Seven Pillar Gods.” His eyes shined. “I’m a swordsman, what I seek the most is a sword that can bring out my full potential.” At this his eyes turned towards Silver. “I have heard that those of the Silver Pillar Faith with the blessing of the Silver God can craft the world’s best equipment.”

Silver took a sip from her tea before glancing back at Richard. “Indeed if you were to compare the mortal craftsmen in the world, perhaps Daedalus would indeed craft the world’s best equipment. But if you were to speak of artifacts...I doubt anyone would be able to surpass the Black God.” Silver sent a quick glance at Black.

“Truly?” It wasn’t that Richard looked down on the Black God, far from it. As a citizen of the Elysius Theocracy, he had venerated the Black God from a young age. It’s just that the Black God is known as the Lord of Magic and when speaking of the Black God’s most powerful followers, most would think of the Great Sages of Black before the Holy Dragon Knights famed for their spear techniques said to never miss. It was the Silver God, known as the God of Artisans that people would think of the legendary swords attained by knights and heroes in myth. “I had never heard of the Black God forging any artifacts, only spells that are spread throughout the world.”

If the Silver God was known as the God of Swords, then the Black God was known as the God of Mages. For the Black God to be able surpass the Silver God, what did that mean? “I have heard that the Silver God possesses a supreme weapon known as the Divine Sword Argent. So great in its power that not even one hundred giants would be unable to swing it once.”

Silver smiled. “While I am unsure of what you were taught, the Black God is indeed superior to the Silver God in forging and many other aspects. I am unsure if the Black God currently possesses a sword superior to the Argent, but I do know that the Black God had forged a series of swords known as the Samsara Series that can allow a mortal to defeat spirits.”

Black’s face had a hint of red at the mention of the Samsara Series. “Si-Vivian, the Black God has not publicized such a thing, I do not think the Black God would appreciate such a fact being divulged.”

Silver smiled as she sipped her tea.

Richard however was in more shock. The teacup in front of him was forgotten. “You mean spirits like the Phoenix and Kirin right? Titans too?”

Silver nodded. “Indeed. Each one of the swords has a mysterious enchantment upon them that grants holy powers unique to the sword.” 

“If they are so powerful, how have I not heard of them? How did you come across this information.” Richard asked, not caring if he was sounding forceful.

“I have my sources, but you may have already heard of them. In the Xuan Dynasty, the sword of the founder, Holy Sword Manusya, is said to have allowed him to be known as the Sword Saint. I have recently heard that it had resurfaced recently. Also a few hundred years ago in the Unite City States there appeared a swordsman carrying a sword longer than she was tall. Said to be the Holy Sword Deva.” Silver said.

“Holy Sword Deva? Holy Sword Manusya?” Richard said to himself as if in a trance. “How do they compare to the Holy Sword Artes or Holy Sword Gryse?”

“Incomparable, not even a hundred of them would be able to match their worth.” Silver quite enjoyed the look of awe and shock on Richard’s face. Like it was her creation that was praised and not devalued. 

“Where did they receive those Holy Swords?” Richard finally asked after being stunned silent. Silver said nothing but looked towards Black who now had a forceful neutral face. Richard turned his questioning glance towards Black.

“Are you questioning the Black God’s decision?” Black asked.

“No, no I’m not. I was just curious, my apologies if I have offended you.” Richard said, his heart clearly not willing to drop the subject but seeing Black’s unenthusiastic aura he had no choice. From then on the subject of the conversation moved elsewhere. “How does the United City States govern itself? I am quite curious on the subject, I simply cannot imagine a place where several rulers are able to coexist peacefully together.”

“They aren’t rulers. Rather the current system evolved from a coalition of city states against the emerging kingdom millenniums ago. Eventually an event occurred where the city lords were deposed and a new system that allowed citizens to vote for the lord to be instated for a period of time. If the lords aren’t able or popular enough a new one will be voted in the next term. Those lords rule over the city state through a council.”

“Fascinating,” Richard said. “How is a matter decided if the councilmen cannot come to an agreement?”

“Either they compromise or put it to a vote.” Silver said.

“Like members of the senate.” Richard said, his eyes shining.

Silver tilted her in thought before agreeing. “Thinking back, it was her idea. So the similarities cannot be ignored.”

The small talk continued, concerning the government and differences between the citizens of Elysium and Daedalus.

It was at this moment that the Vimana swayed, causing tremors to resound throughout the ship. The tea and little pastries falling off the table. The three on the table frowned as they rose from their seats to look out the side of the ship. 

Although they weren’t high in the clouds, the ships still flew about twenty meters above the surface of the ocean. And below them the water rumbling like the deep sea currents have risen to the surface.

And amidst those currents were the flickering bodies of white and gray. Black turned her sight passed the other crew members, who had assembled onto the deck to discover the source of the turbulence, towards the other twenty-four airships. Her frown deepen when she saw beasts that shot out of the water and ramming the bottom of the ships.

The current occurrence was not to the point where she needed to personally intervene and thus she and Silver watched on. Richard was a knight not a sailor or captain of the fleet so he too could only watch on while his grip tightened on the side rails. 

Soon the fleet of twenty-five airships started to rise higher in the air. The rise was not gradual, as the crew and passengers felt the extra weight upon them. 

Still the pursuit did not stop as the beasts and even a large whale jumped out of the water in an attempt to connect to the flying crafts. Most missed, however those that did were met with the honeycomb defense barrier that had been activated. Unrelenting, the sea beasts continued to attack in any way they could. Even a few cephalopod-like beasts had emerged into the surface and shot pressurized ink at the ships.

“What the hell is going on!?” A sailor nearby exclaimed. 

“Why are sea drakes, krakens, and cetuses attacking?”

“Rather than why they are attacking, why are they even at the surface of the ocean? This isn’t how they normally move or act at all!”

“There must be something that is controlling them or else they would be attacking each other instead!”

From the side of the Vimana, six floating crystals emerged and hovered next to it. The shards soon emitted a bright light as green lightning was expunged from them into the hoard of sea beasts. 

The magic spell pierced through several of the sea beasts and once it reached the surface of the water, it exploded like a net of electricity creating an area attack that shocked all of the creatures on the water.

The other twenty-four ships were not idle either as cannons appeared on their sides and aimed down. Soon explosions filled the air as the cannons fired balls of flame upon the beasts below, scorching them black and dried the water in the beasts.

Several of them who were still able to move after the assault of lightning all dived underwater to avoid the spells. 

Black held her face in thought as she watched the air vs water warfare before her. “It’d be great if gunpowder could be made. We could just drop a huge bomb onto them and be done with it.”

Still no matter what Black wished, she herself did not know the components for gunpowder shaming her status as someone who came from another world. And neither could she find any information on whether anyone else discovered them in this world.

There was no use crying over spilled milk, instead cannon loaded with spells had been created. Naturally it was created by Black with other countries imitating her creations, which also led to a rise in the status of mages at the time. 

The assault from the airship continued regardless of Black’s thoughts. While the sea beasts continued their attempt to sink the airships, it was for naught as they had reached a high enough altitude that most attacks that reached barely amounted to anything. But the attacks from the ships were different, aided by the amplification of gravity brought greater devastation to the beasts.

The smarter sea beasts would dive back into the water and only surfacing to attack. Some had even started to throw rocks if they had capable appendages. In response a hatch opened from the bottoms of the ships where barbed spears emerged. From the side they seemed relatively normal until one took into account the size of the airships and the size of the air.

Like having been shot out from a crossbow, the barbed spear struck like lightning down into the water. Shrieks of pain began to rang from the beasts below. A few missed and were instead pulled back using the steel chain that connected the ends of the spear to the ship. However for those that struck true, a force began to force the beasts out of the water.

Oh they struggled of course. As they flailed underwater in an attempt to return to the deep, even causing a few airships to start to dip in the air. But with the increased output of the anti-gravity engine that made the core of the ship, the beasts could helplessly flail in the air as they were mercilessly pulled out of the water, helpless.

With a few more strikes from the spears, the larger sea beasts began to be neutralized. The smaller sea beasts posing little danger to the current airships. However Black and Silver turned their attention towards a certain spot in the water as a round bulbous shell that was larger than even the airships emerged.

The shell had a spiral like design that induced a pulsing sensation in the heads of those who gazed at it, naturally only those of weak mind would be affected by it to the point of nausea or unconsciousness.

Then the shell split into six parts and opened wide, revealing the numerous tentacles within and the sharp blood red beak. There was a piercing cry released from it that rattled many of the crew and passengers on board, their heads becoming fuzzy and their eardrums pumping. Many even fell onto their knees, bile rising up their throats.

But that was just the prelude as a massive amount of mana gathered between the open beak of the monster. Charging for just a few moments, the attack was unleashed and a clear white beam of light struck the sky missing the airships. But the beam did not dissipate and instead began to move as the angle changed, the target was naturally the airships.

Richard had an ominous feeling as he gazed at the monster below. His sharp senses towards mana and his intuition both told him that the beam of light was not a simple attack that was on the surface. “DODGE!” Despite knowing it would be no help, he could not help but yell out in a last ditch attempt against the attack of the strange monster.

Then the beam dispersed once it touched the barrier of the airship on the far right. No, it didn’t disperse as Richard had assumed. Something was blocking it and even seemed to be absorbing it. As the beam continued to be absorbed a vertical purple magic circle began to appear like a wall blocking the magic attack. Richard looked to the side to see Black holding the staff above her head with both hands, the cylindrical crystal between the wings shining brightly.

The beam dispersed but the magic circle did not. The monster below let out an enraged howl, creating ripples from the shock wave and even causing instability upon the airships.

But Black was not affected as she moved the magic circle from its position into the sky parallel to the sea and began to expand it. The purple color begna to turn faint the larger it became, but the brilliance like a sun in the shape of a magic circle. 

Then Richard shut his eyes before his eyes could be blinded by the sudden assault of light. Wherever the magic circle touched, everything under became shrouded in an area of pure light. Unseen by Richard was still seeing spots in his vision, the light to converge onto a single point microscopically small. Mimicking the actions of the monster before, the thin beam of light cut through the ocean towards the shelled monster. 

The monster in response retreated and closed its shell once more and attempted to dive back into the water sensing the extreme danger the light posed. However the light sliced through the shell in a crisscross manner. 

When Richard opened his eyes once more he looked down only to see the full body of the sea monsters in four pieces, the shell cut, floating on the water’s surface. He sucked in cold air as his eyes couldn’t resist turning towards Black.


Black God’s Eatery, Cruise Ship Style. 


John was an elite. A commoner who achieved great success in the Elysium Military Academy and joined the navy. Even gaining the prestigious position as one of the crew of the Vimana, a ship personally constructed by the Black God.

And now he was in love. 

The love of his had ten tentacles, with two longer than the rest, eyes larger than his head, a body large enough for him to build a house in, skin whiter than marble, with a makeup of red spices applied, and hugging a wooden skewer. 

“Ah, ah, ah!!! HOT!” Despite saying so, John still bit off a large chunk of cooked kraken. The white meat sliced into large blocks, some evil still having a portion of the suction cup, seasoned generously with red hot spices and slightly charred meat. The grilled aroma was especially appetizing. 

With each bite, an unbearable amount of spice assaulted his senses. But once he bit further into the slightly elastic and chewy texture of the meat, the spice was spread throughout with the flavor of the kraken showing through the more he chewed. After each bite he would gulp down a large amount of chilled ale completing the cycle before redoing it.

Never in his life did he imagine he would be feasting upon one of the legendary kraken as meal nor did he imagine the feasts would follow a battle that could be called a miracle. That last attack resembled a divine strike from the gods themselves.

He looked towards the beautiful sage still in her black dressed, uncaring the fumes sticking onto it as she cooked the beast meat under the sun. “I guess that’s why they are known as the strongest mage in the world, as expected of mages acknowledged by the Black God.” 

Beside her was the woman in silver. John heard that she was what was known as a Valkyrie, chosen warriors of the Silver God like the Black God’s chosen Sages. She was beautiful, no doubt about it but...John eyed the mountain of wooden skewers on her plate. “Whoever marries her will be constantly in debt. Still as expected of a sage, even daring to cut up and eat the terrors of the sea like they are common fish”

John moved once more in line and grabbed a few more skewers. This time they weren’t grilled but fried pieces of flesh that had been dipped in batter. Biting into one revealed a texture similar to the flesh of a fried oyster, the crunch contrasting especially well.

John took another drink from his glass. Before dipping the second the piece into the tarter sauce. The tangy and sour sauce complementing the flavor extremely well, even the flesh tasted differently from the first piece.

It was like gambling, something John could appreciate. The monster whose flesh had been diced was extremely large and as such the pieces could vary in taste, some tastier than the others. As the outside was covered in batter you could rely on your luck to get a good skewer.

Next were small grilled balls, the sage calling the Krakenyaki. Biting into one, the flour based outer shell cracked open with a crunch revealing the gooey inside with small dices of kraken meat and herbs and thin slices of pink ginger. The brown sauce and the mayonnaise on top amplify the plain flower of the batter and kraken. He nodded in satisfaction as he eyed the plate of the sailor standing next to him,

It was a noodle dish, but it was pure black. It was made by mixing kraken and squid ink inside the flour while being made into noodles, creating the black noodles. But the sauce afterwards was also made with the ink. It was surprisingly popular despite its terrifying appearance, perhaps because it was the color of the Black God.

He made small talk with the sailors beside and from the corner of his eyes he saw the Knight Captain of the Sentinels, an annoyingly handsome man that the female crew giggled over. 

The Knight Captain was currently using chopsticks, a skill that all citizens should know as many dishes were best eaten with chopsticks, picking up thin slices of raw kraken that had been placed upon a small mountain of ice. He dipped it  into a black sauce that ground green root herb in it before placing it in his mouth. John felt his teeth ache at the Knight Captain’s balls, eating kraken raw? Insane, even more than eating cooked kraken meat. “...but it looks really good…”


Author’s Note

I’ve reached the 40k word requisite as stated on the contest page! It feels like a major accomplishment, don’t mind me while I do an awkward little jig on the side.

And here we have the return of the Black God’s Eatery

Also is there anything about the world of Gaia you are curious in? I am interested in expanding the world of Gaia to readers, after all.

33