02: The red eyed green things have a plan.
407 12 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Took off the 'Slice of Life' tag for the story, in favor of adding 'Action'. Some actionable things gonna happen soon.

Edit: fixed a reference to there being three slaves who might be of Max' type; and also added a missing paragraph to describe Halley (poor girl was missing out in that scene).

PoV: Maxwell.

At the end of the passionate session with Niki and general discussion of the last hour to not go to any of the cities yet ― I knew I'd have to be more cautious. Niki did more than tell me of the dangers, she threatened to spar with me for a while ― and I ... foolishly ... took her up on the offer-

... she does not hold back, does she.

An hour later, having picked myself up off the grass for the fifteenth time, and rubbing a sore behind ... I gave in. At least in part, I thought if I still used this staff, it could give me some advantage over her currently unarmed pose; but no, it did not. At certain points, I also feel maybe she is just playing with me, not even putting in the full effort because she could hurt me. That, and the others were starting to bet against me ever beating Niki-

"Okay Niki. I get the point! I'm not so fit and trained as you!"

She just grinned again, in wolfish fashion, then extended a hand in friendship. "No, love. I'm not trying to beat you into the ground, so much as show you the difference between you and I. Well, someday you could be my equal ... in combat maybe; I'm fine with you and I still being equals in the bed though."

I sighed. Even having said that, giving in to her greater prowess, I have learned a small bit about her own combat stance and 'attack' types. Whether I can pull it off is another thing.

"... it's fine, I get it," I muttered and smiled, hoping nobody else heard this as I feel partly romantic ― her wolfish scent still driving me. "Just as long as my second wife can be either a cat or a fox-"

"Hmm?"

At a sudden motion to one side ... guess what, a few of the 'bandits' are stepping forward with welcome grins, open to offering themselves-

"This world has a saying, love; be careful what you wish for-"

"... yeah, I know. I definitely said too much. Or, I didn't think they could hear."


I think, my mind pretexted this thought due to so many of these former 'bandits' being female. Their urgent desire for me to keep the bathing structure as it is, is an already epic thing. Like, if I were to indicate for the least reason an intent to delete this structure ― one or more of them would throw themselves upon me, if only to 'bribe' me to not remove the bathing house. Making more, all fine and good; but less of them ... and they'd get aggressive.

Even so, I'm not someone to shrink back from an offer ... if given fairly. The only factor being, which one of them? Who would be the best one for me? I dunno; the chance of who to pick hasn't been written for me yet.

Niki has seven slaves, but three of them just fit within range of what I had spoken. Caren a female catkin archer, Ferret, a female foxkin thief; and Halley a female catkin rogue. Those, plus Terabell the female kitsune disgraced priestess who'd helped at making the meal ... well all four were looking my way expectantly.

Caren as I'd already seen, seems personality wise very calm and cool; her smile is not the largest but is not for mere show either. In terms of the group coordination, she's one who's always 'on guard'. Even when at rest she's watching her surroundings; I could learn to like someone (maybe with slight difficulty) who always seemed watchful or distant emotionally. And, something this lizard mage Arcatha said an hour ago while embarrassing the catkin archer, was of her missing the targets on her 'off days'. So maybe she overcompensates now to make up for some unfortunate day in the past?

Ferret, who is clearly not that race, as a female foxkin is so demure and soothing to look at, while the knowledge she's probably maxed on her dexterity is something to be concerned over. But in this fact, I think her professional thieving skills might include a slight glamor, to 'woo' any target or misdirect someone away from her intended target. So then, I should be cautious of her charismatic appeal too. I ... I think I'd be weak to the fox especially-

Halley the catkin may be a rogue by profession ― but if her own handmade armors are anything, then she might even have some leatherworker and tailoring skills to boot. She seems a hardy worker, in that she is a cat who sits tall in a saddle; it amounts to a gentle nobility of mind and deed, which I can respect. Her constitution and dexterity are fairly high; and her intellect is nothing to laugh at, as well. But ... those iron dagger blades are well used, indicating she'd be lethal in a fight ― and never disarmed as long as she also had her claws.

Terabell on the other hand, a teenage kitsune equivalent of a human girl, wears her "shrine maiden" like attire well. Even if her garb is worn from being on the run with this team, it's still in fine shape. I'd love to like her ... or, the other way too ... but for the mention of her having been 'caught in a compromising situation' with one of the temple's customers. I could leave it at that; or I could dig further to find the truth. I for my part want to believe it's been some misunderstanding ― but then not only is this a new world to me, her whole race is new, and the 'bandit group' also is new. New world, new conventions to learn, new ideas or thoughts to incorporate into my life-

-or. Niki said it best: "Don't fit in dear. Change the world." Can I suppose, somehow, that lazy- OW! Lazy god- DAMMIT THIS IS GETTING ANNOYING. That guy, has somehow had plans for me to do something in his place, something which might be one-sided that he cannot in his position do? -no shock this time, ha!

Between Ferret and Terabell ― one identifies as foxkin, one identifies as kitsune. Meaning, slight shades of difference, in this world. Well so then Ferret does look like the more 'furry' form, basically a bipedal fox girl; while Terabell looks more 'human' with fox features tacked on. But if there's any prejudice among their 'subrace' variants, neither seem to be expressing it. Or are they on their best behavior and will let up and let loose upon each other later?


For any choice, the instance is drawn away from me.

"Take your posts," Niki calls. "Let's show our intent to hold this settlement safe!"

Such a rallying cry, in response; I think she'd do well as a martial officer here ― if not leader of the extraneous militia forces which might not be "owned" by this village.

Even in the meantime, I'm looking through my Constructor system menu again, seeing if I can make something more. Or, failing that, through the extra 'help' subsystem to explain things. It's not dark out, so I'm sitting on the wooden bench left sitting outside my house ― again with a pair of breasts pressed to my back. Very persistent in presenting herself to me like this ... probably even a thing she doesn't necessarily know she's doing, or is it?

Anyway; I'll scroll through the window, looking for something-

"Wait- um. Go back up, what you had before," she prompts, pressing in even closer, squishing her breasts so hard against me. Very distracting.

I do so, wondering just what she could have seen to interest her.

"Yeah that! HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT." She calls out loud to her compatriots. As they come nearer, she explains what I see on the screen, the thing I've seen but have no idea what it is. "Max my love can build one of them 'Phoenix Down' arch thingies."

"... what is a 'Phoenix Down' arch," I ask, to the astonished others' faces.

"... only like the coolest thing ever!" exclaims Terabell over everyone else's slack jawed looks. "Basically too, the reason I got fired ― the town where I worked was trying to build one of them and they wanted to ask for the support of Keigo. My temple ― er, the temple where I was working ― was given the task of doing the ritual of asking Keigo's blessing to build an arch. So I was just ... into puberty ... so, the few days before the rite was to take place, I was framed. One of the temple patrons petitioned me for something improper ― making it seem right ― how was I to know! I know now the patron and the high priest were plotting to sabotage the ritual, by getting me out of the way. But anyway, he'd had it rigged to out me in front of the temple high priest, thereby ending my service and aborting the ritual because they claimed they then 'had no priestess'-"

Another thin sliver of light meant, a new message was being left from above. I took it, read it, and ... handed it to Terabell.

  • 'Dear Terabell of the Silver Moon Tribe:
  • I did see this event you mention; but I will say that I accept your service more than I do that temple priest. Never fear, dear girl; for you are not forgotten. Truly nobody can end the service for someone else, except to go forth and murder them ― but as you are very much alive, I will accept your service to me, if you so wish it. Nor can anyone in a temple proclaim the priests or priestesses shall be required to prostitute themselves in my name; it is not something I require, but their own selfish demand. Neither do I want to enforce abstinence; but for whatever relationship you choose ― follow through with your whole heart and sense of personal responsibility to it.
  • Express your desires among your friends, and you can be my priestess there if you wish. And I will grant you a few boons in my name, too; not the same gifts as given to Maxwell, but something special for you alone. Hold your head high, give redemption and peace, and seek nothing more than responsibility, honor, and integrity from others.
  • Finally, with an arch appearing within his Constructor system menu, it means the ritual is and was not necessary. For my blessing upon such an arch, it does require group effort, with all persons involved being their most responsible. But the best placement for the arch is directly over the water well, to keep the water system clean and purified; except the placement of his home would be in the way. But not to fear, with his next level up in the Constructor system ability, he will gain a way to move buildings or structures, so this will be less of a problem.
  • Therefore, I will also unlock another item in his Constructor system menu, an "equivalent exchange" totem. Basically there is a lot of grassland around there, through which the goblins and other dangers could sneak up in the night to attack this village. Build the totem, collect the grasses, and the insert grass clippings as well as any trash items into the totem Inventory; and before you know it, the totem will allow its managers to extract some items for equal amount of what is put inside the totem. To build a totem does require a small amount of stone and wood; other totems exist in the world unused, and if you find them you can bring them back here, for little to no cost but time to find them. Anything in those totems will also be tied to the other totems here.
  • Signed,
  • Keigo, A Benevolent Man of Responsibility.'

I will neither agree nor disagree with the parting line, as it's maybe the most responsible I've seen him become; but upon reading it, Terabell's face suddenly breaks out in tears. And then she's saying to all here, how she does truly wish to retain her old life of service to the main god Keigo. They were some of her most memorable experiences ― up to the final week; no, even with the final week of that service, and she still wants to stay with it.

A white haze of purifying light washes over her; and suddenly she's cleaned again, more than having taken a bath in the bathing room ― even her clothes are being mended and shining. Aah so exhilarating, to see her now so beaming with smiles and hugs for her companions here.

I smile calmly. "Then if Keigo can accept you, so can I ... Terabell." I hold my arms wide, hoping to elicit some friendly emotion and connection to me too; in a second, she's at my chest and holding tight. Two others are saddened their chances with me have disappeared.

"See I told you, Caren," Ferret whispered near us. "Tera's much younger and prettier than us, and plus she doesn't have our battle scars, so of course he's gonna pick-"

"-no this isn't it," I respond, turning out of the hug. "I am not ready to pick a wife either, no matter what I said earlier. But if the time comes, then ... I should at least be building relationships with those who are my potential mates, correct? And beside this, I'll want to get to know each of you too. And as for 'battle scars', well. Even in the bathing house's menu of things will be the ability to reduce visible damage to let you look as you did without the scars or wounds of before. It's only a matter of time, and everyone will get to looking and feeling the absolute best they can."

"D, does that mean," Avarice inserted too, her eyes alit with hope or desire, "you haven't chosen Miss Niki as the first wife?"

I see plotting and scheming in those eyes; but for what reason, is ... unknown. What is this, some strange love triangle or something? Avarice also wants a part of either me or Niki?


"... er anyway," I shake my head, to shake the thought away too. "So ... what is this arch you were telling me about?"

"Max my love, it's like this; the little boon upon your home, it won't be destroyed for a time ― on an arch its effects are for shorter periods of time, plus over a wider area. Enough to cover the village plus ten more meters larger. They are usually placed as one large arch in the center of a settlement, and lesser arches around the perimeter, about four to seven of them, depending upon terrain and land availability. For this small of a place, one will do; but as it grows larger, more will be needed."

"... oh, so a generalized protection radius?"

"Yes," Terabell inserts rapidly, no sign of her past anxieties this time. "The more responsible the citizens, the more this effect is upon the settlement and what people it protects. For a priestess like I was, I did feel a slight boon from the temple, maybe it's an effect Keigo allowed me too, I don't know. But it's ... it's a cool thing, you know?" She finishes with an overly large smile, beaming at me to show her perfect set of teeth.

The sun is now setting on the distant horizon; dusk is growing more pronounced here; with the wooden walls, this village is in partial darkness. But I see also what they have in store for this village's defense ― now Arcatha Fuzel used her fire mage talent to cast twelve 'lamps' within this village. Four orbs of light to circle the center of this space on a five meter radius from the center point; and two orbs at each corner tower.

Noting my surprise, Arcatha grins with her lizard like lips, and just says, "It's what I do, to make our bandit camping more safe for the night watch."

"... but does it take anything from you, if you're doing this every night?"

"Some, but not as much as you would think. Basic mana regeneration takes care of this in just four hours, and the effect can last up to eight hours at the longest. When you get the arch thing setup it will be even less of a mana drain, because an arch can be set to provide faint night illumination. And too, I think you should be able to make some street lamps too, right?"

"... y, yeah. Well the screen also says I do not have the light crystals to make even one of them, because I tried it before. How can I get some of those crystals-"

"I can make them, but it takes a lot out of me," inserted Johara. "Either me, or Sarina can do something similar with light energy ... but as you can see, she's drunk-"

"-am not ... *hic* ... ish jusht a lil shloshed mebbe. I c'n still make light-"

But if the wobbly half elf drunk was trying to prove her point ... nothing was happening. Even so, Sarina's eyes closed, and she soon drifted off on the grassy spot where she laid.

"... she's drunk," Johara reasserted, to the form who could no longer counter this statement.

Shaking my head at these antics, I realize now I will have to have a second home or structure. To the rest of them still awake and standing or sitting or kneeling near here, I openly say, "So. Tomorrow we can gather and talk about planning out the settlement here. But first, I think I will place another building, a general purpose warehouse for now, in which you can bunk down with cots or bedding or whatever you have, if bedding down in the diner would be too cramped on the floor. It will be just a small thing but with enough space for all the rest to bunk down for tonight, and allow rotating in and out the first and second night watches."

I selected a spot on the north side of where my home sat, and placed a building called a warehouse, which was barely larger than my own two story house. And through a second screen, I can set to allow entry by any of the people in this settlement right now; that makes it easiest to allow in this instant. For further measure, I set down one of the 'equivalent exchange' totems to the west of my house, which we can work at filling tomorrow.

"And, I think this will do it for me tonight. Tomorrow we can work at clearing some of the grasses and placing them into this totem. Terabell ― do you want to have one of the spare rooms in my home for now, or is bunking in the diner or this warehouse okay?"

"Yes! With you!"

She's probably thinking she's surpassed the other two ― one catkin and one foxkin, not to mention any of the others eyeing me, as well ― but in my mind, she has not. It's just practical to have this settlement's one priestess to Keigo have a decent sleeping arrangement; not that I'm giving undue preference but I think she should maybe start gaining some advantages for her service.

Taking her by the hand, I permit her entry here to my home as well, and show her around. She's aglow at all of this ― maybe to know not a dozen hours before, this structure was not even here.


PoV: Niki.

After Maxwell left with Terabell, nobody said a word for a short while. Aside from me, three of my slaves, Bonner, and Avarice too ― the rest were off to place their bedding for the night and check on their mounts one more time. I would be up regardless, sometimes the last to sleep and first to rise, ensuring my team was kept safe.

For tonight's watch, it's Bonner's turn on the first half, along with three of my slaves ― catkin Caren, foxkin Ferret, and the dragonkin Janna ― so these were all here too. The second half watch ― Arcatha, Deena, Gray, and Halley ― were off getting their sleep in early.

Finally, Elanor grunted. Her half orc nature of being curious in human matings must have got the better of her.

"-think they doing it yet?"

About half the remaining ones chuckled or laughed outright; but she was serious.

"Yeah well I expect by now my love Max is probably just getting started in it. It's to be expected, his first time he was a little shy but took to it well with me-"

"Miss Niki, you mean, it wasn't your first time?"

"Ava ... no, never mind. But I think I'll have to talk to Arc about you."

But then Max exited his house, without Terabell. He seemed to look puzzled ― as if some odd conversation had taken place inside.

Even Elanor picked up on this mood. "What. Max not find tiny hole on little fox?"

His face reddened to our lively teasing; but seriously, he's protesting so much-

"No! That's not- I'm not sleeping with her just yet!"

"-even half orc hole easy to find," she said, lifting her loincloth to 'prove' it.

His blank look, and stare at a certain place, said it all for us. Well he may have already done it with me; but he's no less a newbie at sex than even I am. General chuckles, all around at Max's expense, makes me realize we should not joke so much ... until we're all accustomed to each other.

"El, that's enough," I insert, with a twinkle in my eye. She let the loincloth fall back into place, but still has a curious glance at Max. Hmm, maybe having all of these females in one place with only so many males here was not such a great idea.


PoV: Maxwell.

'These girls are ... sex crazed maniacs!'

I did not mind when Terabell tried to kiss me inside my home; I had at least expected some kind of action, more to innuendo and flirtation at first. But for her to skip the softer approach, take the initiative and reach a hand down to my-

... I can only sigh, shake my head, and pass it off. No, I'm not too shy to kiss and do other things; I think I proved that with Niki. But I didn't really mean for Terabell to set the pace, whether she thought something or not; but neither am I rejecting her ... only for now, tonight.

But then, to come outside, and be confronted with ... half orc nudity ― and willing, too ― this was too much.

At least, Niki backed me up, after noting my frustration ... because I thought maybe she'd join in and continue the flirtation.

Oh I was curious what was behind the loincloth; but too cautious to dare peek or even ask before this. And even later I might even take a chance with Elanor, if she's still willing on another day.

The other side of all the interest in sex is, if I'm to build a settlement, I have a feeling it would detract from my self-assured mission of building a settlement, village, town, city ― if the residents would be seeking to mate before anything else. One cost being, I'll also have to motivate them as much as myself to get things done, to build up the settlement.

Another factor ― more than two thirds are actually slaves right now; I'm cautiously concerned in how 'mating' with someone else's servant would work for me. Niki has the most, with seven; then Arcatha has four; and finally Johara has three slaves. Why so many for Niki? I think she's subconsciously been building her bandit team like that; buying members rather than recruiting them. Johara having the fewest, three, may be because as a tiefling from another plane of existence, she is trying to get back 'home'; but while here she needs some help. How does that work, then? If or when Johara would leave ... would they get pulled along with her, or just end up having no mistress? Hmm, something to ask ... later.

Johara's three slaves are mere affectations, I think. More so she can have some traveling companions ... and then she joined Niki's team. Bebe as I thought might make for a decent manager of the diner; Fixer was the team repairman; but Drake ... as I thought ― a former adventurer but not very good at it ... so he's Johara's sex toy.

... oh here's a new thought. On Earth, it's an idea where "men only have one thing on the mind"; but on this world, it's the opposite gender. Well yes, men still do think those things here; but with these women being so ... aggressive ... the trend is the other way than what I knew?

With the darkness above, and slight illumination by those light orbs of Johara's making, I can see the faces of those not already in position on the corner towers.

"Time to go to bed," I mumble and fake a yawn, seeing if I can 'hint' the rest to bed too. Turning back to my home-

-a shrill whistle! From the northwest corner tower, Caren is aiming out into the grasses near her, and ... with a silent gust of air, the arrow slices out to something beyond view.

Niki's already drawing her sword; it's not got a target yet but I see she wants to be ready. Can goblins climb walls?

"Alright, be ready everyone," she says unnecessarily to those still up. "And Gray, go inside and tell Arc the gobs are here now."

"What can we expect?" I ask, siding up to her. "Do they come over the walls?"

"... they can. But really, she has something she rarely gets to try, she may want to do here."

Arcatha comes stumbling out, rubbing sleepy eyes, in ... less clothing than before, but no less able to fight. "Oh? What's up."

"Hey Arc. Wanna try us opening the gates, like the one time-"

Then Arcatha perks up. "Oh! Yeah. I forgot about that one."

Niki just laughs. "How could you forget, it's your signature move-"

"-did I get a say in that," Arcatha grumbled.

"What. What is it," I further plea.

"... just wait, and see," Niki soothes. "I'll even let you stay out, and watch, love."

She will ... let ... me?

Then maybe it's an "easy kill" type situation. No less scary for the thought of just plain 'opening the gates' and letting the monsters have a chance at entry.

"Where are they, Caren," Niki calls up to the tower.

To which the dog girl calls out, "Between here and the gate," gesturing with her bow, loosing another arrow.

"Open the gate," Arcatha grins. "And ... let the fun begin."


The wooden gates are heavy; it takes two people at each side to swing them. But also Arc is standing nearly dead-on from the opening, a mere five meters from its opening ... and projecting some kind of force field?

But the goblins have heard the doors creak and groan, and have seen the casted light from the center of this place, thrown out into the grasses. I am getting the idea, goblins are simplistic; why try to climb a wall if a door is opened to you? Never mind they cannot enter said door-

Within a minute, about twenty odd little green monsters are pushing for all their worth, to come inside this settlement. The rest of Niki's team is just ... at attention, and in their prospective ready stances, while holding back a laugh.

Until ... the gobs suddenly stop their pushing to enter, and one massive goblin steps through the bunch of them.

That one, that's the leader, with the reddest eyes yet. He might have only come up to my pecs; but by body mass (most of which is muscle) he outweighs me two to one, easy. What he's armed with is one of a human army's swords of medium length, in his hands comparatively like a broadsword, but he swings it like a dagger as he walks. Other than that, he's bare chested, sporting an oversized loincloth, and showing a body full of scars along with those rippling muscles.

The rest of them, in various heights and sizes of musculature between him and the size of a four year old child. But all, with the same red eyes, and mostly green shades of skin. Some slightly darker and more to the black than others.

And all are currently staring here ... inward, to Arcatha.

"Let in. Make talk."

The goblin leader's words surprise us all ... even all of the former bandits.

... um. Everyone is turning to me now? I have to decide? Aah right; I'm the 'village chief' then. I hadn't thought of this, yet ― but now it's so plain to see, I am the 'it guy'.

I step forward. "Before I let you in," I begin, "tell what you want to talk about."

He seems to struggle for the words; then at length utters a single one.

"Home."


I don't get it. Whose home ― ours, or theirs? Or, is it something more complicated than just one word?

Let's just take a look at who he is-

Spoiler

Name: Grug
Alias: Goblin King
Race: Goblinoid/Hobgoblin
Sex: male
Age: 7 years 09.9 months
Level: 11 (113/120 xp)
Occupation: Racial Leadership
Conditions:
- Absolute Defense
Stats:
- STRN:11 CONS:13 DEXT:10 HLTH:14
- INTL:9 LORE:4 PERS:3 WILL:14
Abilities: (hidden from public)
Skills/Common:
- Cooking:3 (34/40 xp)
- Crafting:5 (51/60 xp)
- Hunting:7 (65/80 xp)
Skills/Magical:
- Earth:3 (12/40 xp)
Skills/Martial:
- Daggers:15 (139/160 xp)
- Strategy:12 (3/130 xp)
- Swords:9 (99/100 xp)
System/Racial:
- Goblin Nation: Nation Leader
- Hobgoblin Nation: Family Head

[collapse]

Well that's something. He's smaller than me, yet higher in levels and stats; and it looks like he's ahead of me even in the combat and magic techniques. Not to mention, the one martial skill for 'Strategy' ― along with being head of an entire nation ― he might be an ally or enemy, depending on how this goes forward.

"No fight, if we talk?"

"No fight. Have ... plan."

Aah okay, the red eyed green things have ... a plan.

And somehow now it involves me, and my settlement?


PoV: Terabell.

Max has sure been gone a while, hasn't he. Like, for sure, I thought he'd come back ... once he realized what I wanted to do with him.

Is he one of those ... the 'shy boy' types, which us women then have to 'break through the barriers' to have our needs filled? Maybe; but I didn't think so. Pretty sure, I heard him and Niki going at it, just a while before now ― and even she looked satisfied, and kept hanging all over him after then. So it's not as if it's not right for me to try, too!

Anyway. After he left, it was quiet for a while, except for some shouting and laughter from the bandit team; and then quiet again. Then noisy again just now, but suddenly quiet again ... and meanwhile I'm still laying here naked on his bed, waiting for him to come to me.

Come on, Max, come to me! I ... I'll make it worth your effort! I promise-

6