03: Pride before prejudice, or what? {+Poll}
388 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I will declare before you start reading this, the subplot going forward in following chapters is in having goblins freely living within the settlement, along with the others. I've mentioned this in discord chat, kind of workshopped it out there. Some specific commentary I got in response is to the effect of "dude you know they're gonna backstab you". In this particular story, this tribe of goblins are less hostile than others in this world, or from other goblin stories. In part, in many stories I'd looked for an 'underdog' race or group to lift up; for this story it will happen to be beastkin to a certain amount and the goblins to another variety. Just FYI, if you cannot conceive of goblins also being a 'good guy' ... this tale might not be for you. #SorryNotSorry

PoV: Maxwell.

This feels ... odd. Both for me, who has heard what these bandits have said about the goblins before; and for them as well, now that I think about it. They're keeping their weapons at the ready, but nevertheless, I am permitting only the one hobgoblin, the leader of the goblin nation, into this space. And even then, only three meters within the barrier, which Arcatha is still holding up.

Grug, as far as I know, might even be telling the truth. I certainly think his firm smile means something to him.

In the meantime, all of the former bandits are now up and present, to see this encounter ... all except for Terabell. I do wonder why she isn't out here too, to see this moment never to be repeated. Her loss.

Still, Grug looked around after entry, seeing these buildings here. I can smell him as he is within two arm lengths of me ― such strong smells of caves and grasslands and woodlands ― also blood and sweat and sex and urine. A mixture of things to say, he could not be the same kind of clean that I or the former bandits here are now. Well if he did want any of this ... would I withhold the ability to be so clean, here?

"Was not here, two days past."

"You are right. I am put in this world by one of the deities. The god Keigo, God of Responsibility. He gave me a way to build structures-"

"He say as much to goblin tribe."

... oh? Then Keigo also had dealings with the monster tribes in this world as well? Was that to my benefit or detriment ― or, heck, even to the gobs' benefit or detriment?

The goblin leader ― maybe a king but not by name, only by comparative authority ― could only look at me and grin.

"Keigo say, Go. See human place, in center of grass place. Find new home."

"Did Keigo mean, you are to come here, to live here? With ... us?"

"Is what I think. He not always say what he mean, for who he is-"

-zap.

Ha; even a goblin leader can get zapped by the god; He even groans a little like I do, too. I'm thankful I am not the only one for this effect.

"I get this too," I can only grin in sympathy of the guy. I do mean this in both senses ― I get this 'zap' when I think anything against the big ... um, whatever; and, I understand this situation by intent of his meaning. "But, okay. What do you mean, home?"

"... fight in goblin tribe. Is demon lord in near land, is calling all monster tribes and demon beings, fight human empire. Fight to Easserah Empire. Is not what Keigo want for world, but do humans listen, do empire people listen ― no. So. Keigo talk to tribe, say no go fight. Whether be orc or goblin or hobgoblin or succubus, Keigo say, no fight. But demon lord strong, and angry. Give bribe for fight at first, now no bribe but he get angry we say no fight. Other tribes talk between selves, say take bribe but no fight on the day. Is only way, we let demon lord die by him alone."

... this is one detail the god did not say, in his little summary.

"... then. If you live here, are you able and willing to live and work as we do? I am not saying you abandon goblin way of life; but goblin life does not work for us."

Niki at my side stiffens, and gasps. I am sure she is thinking I am provoking this goblin leader, though I am only trying to see how far he will go to agree to be here.

"Is one thought. Goblin way not work now for goblin too." He grins, to a surprised number of the former bandits. "Is better, have home and work, than fight or forage day after day. Not worry, we not take females from you."

... I won't correct him, for the last part; I can't consider them 'my' females ... exactly-

"This is a small place though. So small, not even the same as a village, yet. But I will call it a village, because as I build it, it will grow fast."

"... is fine. We know, is new thought for us, so is new thought for you. We not fight, we just want to live too."

"All of those goblins also will agree to what you say? None of them are going to fight us?"

"Before leave cave. I tell all, we go talk here. Archer on wall shoot two my tribe. Is okay, we know this happen, happy it not more. Means, goblin still alive can be alive, if we agree and you agree. Will let you live, you let us live. We be part of village too. Is ... plan."

Honestly it's been a long day, even just from what's happened since I arrived. Not to mention, it was already at the end of a day on Earth, before coming here-

So then ― I do think ... at some point it's going to come down to the agreement.

"Well then ... Arcatha ... let them in-"

She looks with a withering glare, then just ... shrugs, and let up on the force field. But her wary glance tells me, she's still ready to fry a few of them, all of them if necessary, even as they cautiously step inside of my gate.

Within a minute, thirty three goblins and hobgoblins are now within the walls of this growing camp.


In the next few minutes of talking, issues are discussed. They will bed down inside the gates, and if 'more' come to attack here ... then they are obligated to be the advance forces to fight outside. Even if we were all tired, at some point it's a matter of need, to know how the next few days would go. For one, even in this state of being so tired ― this is a thing. Dealing with the goblins here. I cannot just say, "oh I am tired, why not talk about this in the morning". Because what if the talk is a ruse so they then get inside to do damage here, by my own authorizing it?

Pretty sure Niki would like to override me in what she sees me thinking, though. The subtle glare is ... not so subtle.

Grug notes all this which is not being said, in our eyes. Then he only grins, and says something mischievous.

"Go, take female to bed. We talk, in morning."

Lots of little titters of playful glee from those green guys. But hey, I'm taking the hint; and with a knowing grin to the younger than me yet comparatively older hobgoblin, I grab at Niki's sleeve and pull her along in a playful tug.

"Max love, don't-"

"-let them have this, the moment of mutual understanding."

She just chuckles with nervous irreverence, then allows me to lead her onward to their jeers too. Yeah; this could be okay ... if these goblins are not the murder/rape/torture kind.


A problem now is, I see Terabell ― exposed to the full nude state, and draped over my bed. So she had waited for me to come back. I thought she would be gone by now; but in hindsight I hadn't seen her out among the goblin confab.

Standing at the door to what should be my own room, both Niki and I now look at this girl twisted into my bedsheets. Niki elbows me in the back, just slight enough to shake my inner thought.

"I always did want a taste of her, but never took the chance. Eh ... you go ahead Maxy boy; make her a woman."

"-somehow that sounds backward to me," I defend. "I'm just gonna move to another roo-"

"Nah no you don't. She's ready, even I smell her eager state. No; you go give her what she wants."

Is that an order, Niki?

But not saying anything more, Niki only grins, lightly pushes me with a knowing intent inside the doorway, and shuffles off to another room for the night.

Walking inside 'my room', I look intently at Terabell, the foxy girl she is. Having undressed herself after I left apparently, thinking I'd be back for a little play with her ― she's fully nude, but asleep so she's not even moving to cover any bits. Instead I get the full view of her body, and see an opening-

-it will be her first time, won't it. I may not be any more experienced than my own first time just a short while ago with Niki ― but for Terabell, I do think I am ready to ... initiate something. She's cute, and it's this dark outside, and I'm ready again.

With a subtle grin, I slowly and calmly remove my clothes, one piece at a time. This, this is going to be interesting too.

I let the pants drop to the floor, maybe some small bit more noisily than necessary and step out of the leggings, startling Terabell awake. Eyes wide, she takes in the fact I'm now here again, bare except for the boxer shorts I wear, and she now grins.

"Took you long enough, Max," she states softly.

"Yeah well I had some thinking time, sorry for the wait. You still want to ... or no-"

"Take me, give me this," she whimpered so coyly. She props herself up, pulling off the covers twisted around and between her soft fur covered legs and arms, and is awaiting my advance.

Which I'm sort of shy about going about doing, now that I've figured out I'm open to it. I don't exactly want to seem like a tease, to her either; but I do not just want to crawl on top of her, do the deed, and be done with it. Part of me thinks that's what Niki and I did. Not saying it wasn't fun; but with Terabell ... with her, maybe I could properly take all the time, the rest of the night if needed.

"... about what the note said. Taking responsibility, and all. Well so ... I guess ... would you like to be my ... first wife?"

Her eyes wetted, a single tear leaking softly. "I would love that, Max. I would be your wife too, if you really do want me to be."

"Yes. Then let's do that."

I lean in over the bed, and meet her waiting lips-


I am impressed; and I think Terabell is impressed. She's not as vocal as I presume some women in this world might be; vocal is okay, but her softly restrained whimpers and squeals of joy are also rather cute, and in a way, endearing. As if her panting and squeaking are only for me, then. Except for a second girl panting outside my door, Niki getting and giving some self attention in the moments too, I guess. That pervert girl.

To be fair, I didn't think I'd have the stamina to do this much ― in an hour she hit the high spots three times, and I came that many times too ― but maybe Keigo ... assisted me. I'd feel weird about it if I thought it over more; but in point of fact I did just say before this, the mention of taking responsibility. And I knew anyway ... Keigo might be watching a lot of what might be 'porn' if he weren't already a deity with oversight of things happening.

After the deeds had been done, having made her my first wife ― not sure how many more I'd be getting ― she started a light snore again ... drifting off. In maybe half an hour, then she startled herself awake and just looked back at me for a second.

"W, we really did-"

"Yes. Wife." I saw her devious grin, and kissed the tip of her cute nose. "Though I also admit, if there are any customs in this world for that, I ... am still not sure."

"Well if you really are from another world then I don't think anyone here is going to force you into 'our' traditions," she eased in, coming more awake now and propping herself up again.

I must say, for a still nude fox girl, even if her breasts are maybe comparable to a B cup and not yet C, she's still got a nice form. Maybe even young-something teen ... for which I can only assume the 'age of consent' here, if there is one, is lesser than my old life. I won't ask, and she won't be forced to tell me an age; so ... it's a nonissue for now. We already did the thing.

"... but, I don't exactly want to stand out as too different from others. So if there is something expected of you or me, please do tell me."

She mumbled something even I couldn't understand, laying right here next to her. I showed my confusion, then she sighed and told it more clearly.

"Yeah well ... the first wife is the only one required to bear the husband's children; though of course nearly all wives will want a child or two, and a portion of the inheritance for their line."

This is a serious thing. To think, marrying is a solid matter here, with this standard ― even Niki did not say this part. Meaning maybe Niki was not of the mind to bear my children, or be forced to?

... I will say, that doesn't mean Niki didn't and doesn't like me still; she and I did what we did in the bath, for real.

"So, are you willing for being this, the first wife then, if you mention it now?"

"Yes. I think any young girl like me might have some fear ... of pregnancy, but that's normal; if you won't ever abandon me-"

"I won't."

"-then it's fine. If I am also to be Keigo's priestess here, then I also will have those duties. For a settlement like this, it's not so overwhelming; but I think even as time goes forward, I will need help someday."

"What about some of the more practical of living matters? I mean, with the sanitary aspect given by the bathing structure and bath room here, personal cleanliness is a must for us. To set us apart from the other lands, other peoples. But then about cooking meals, and other domestic tasks like housekeeping, and-"

She giggled. "You sound like you have things to worry about."

"But I do! I-"

She put a gentle fingertip on my lip, at last, and took the lead in explaining. "Yeah there's all of that. Heredity stuff and building a family lineage and stuff; but for the most part another reason a man gets more than one wife, and has multiple children, is to share the workload. Mostly the soft agreement is, not more than one wife in the same stage of pregnancy at one time, so at least another wife or wives will also be able to do those domestic things. At least it works among the peoples of this world."

I had a momentary look of disbelief, in considering what some of these things said now and before with Niki met and conflicted.

"What ... let me guess ... Niki was like, inferring something different? Making it seem like women here are sometimes little better than sex slaves?" Terabell's face darkened, as her brow furrowed. "Like she would know. Sorry. I'm not believing that; I've been in a temple serving the patrons too, and I saw how a lot of them genuinely cared for each other. Yes sometimes it's going to be a struggle, even having multiple wives to one husband. Am I shocked or unprepared? I ... no I don't think so, but not discounting the possibility."

"But then ... I do have a question of how exposed to the slavery aspect you are, or were. If brothels and prostitution are things, here ― something tightly constrained and even targeted as illegal where I was ― then how do you face the fact of not all relationships being so equitable as what you were saying?"

"... that's a lot of serious talk and I'm still tired."

"Yeah, okay then, we can talk more about it in coming days. Anyway tomorrow is going to be busy. Meeting with the goblin chief-"

"W, what?"

"I let the goblins in." Genuine grin is genuine.

She smacked me on the shoulder. "Don't tease like that. It's already too much for me right now."

"You can meet the goblins tomorrow too, Terabell-"

"Goodnight, Max."

"-in fact as my first wife, I think it might be your duty to also be gracious hostess to them."

"... you're taking this joke a little far, Maxwell."

Her look is bordering on uncertain and slightly stressed; so for now I'll let it go. The morning should clear up a few things too.

"Okay good night Terabell."

She will see, tomorrow, won't she. I also hear a set of footsteps moving down the hall as well, to go into another room.

Fireworks, tomorrow-


Sleep didn't come to me so soon, or so easily. In fact, once I did finally feel like I'd be slipping into that dream state, I suddenly found myself before a woman in glowing robes. Before I could say anything to this, she took the lead.

"Call me Genki. Hello, Maxwell Townsend. Are you getting setup real nice and proper?"

"... huh?"

Genki just laughed for a mere couple seconds, then sighed.

"Max, I know my husband left you with not much options; but I do like seeing what you've done with the place. And the people you met."

"... aah. Yeah. I see. But if I can ask, what's the real truth about relationships and the gender ratios in the world?"

The goddess held back from speaking for a second ― a thing I would think contrary to her nature ― then spoke again.

"I'm not here to provide guidance for this ... or at least, not right now. I do have a reason I brought you here too; and if I take the time to answer all questions, then I won't get to the purpose of you being here. I am sorry but there is also a time limit for mortals to be here in this domain. The short answer is, all of what you heard from those former bandits is true, and then again it's not; blame my hubby for that if you will. But for now, the issue at hand is the reason behind why Keigo brought you here."

"... you mean there actually is a reason, and not just at his whim?"

"Yes. A reason. And no, not 'just' by whim either. Long, long story-"

To my confusion, Genki only smiled and started splatting out the information.


To be a deity in this world means not micromanaging every situation; but also means allowing a fair amount of 'free will' of the mortals in the world. Even so, at times deities face situations where they can't not get involved, because of the seriousness of some cause-and-effect scenarios. What Keigo had said of the major problems ― ten of them, not all as easy to grasp as just saying the details ― were varied in nature. If Keigo had actually said a literal number of ten problems, Genki was saying what she saw is more than that. But for now she will say it in a completely different manner.

Problem one: the birth ratio of genders, being three to one slanted to female was part of it. While it did overlap what I needed to know about the relationship problems, Genki did not hit on this aspect but told me so clearly ― the birth ratio used to be skewed so much the other way, for reasons and things. But that too was a serious problem ― three men to one female? Could I not see how the fighting would go in this world's history?

No female would be left without a husband for long, no matter how young or what appearance they were born having. Daughters were prized children. Not to the point of marrying them all off at birth; however in many of the noblest or wealthiest of houses, the daughters were certainly used often for some political expediency.

Military service was required of all males in most kingdoms before the gender ratio inversion; this weeded out some of them naturally, but not all of them. First sons also were almost guaranteed a right of selecting a mate but latter sons had a harder time of it. While men were in a numeric majority too, those who in a certain age period didn't pair off with wives were considered 'deselected' for procreative purposes, and so then less valuable.

So both Genki and Keigo had united their mutual powers and obtained from a marketplace of deities, the ability to swing the birth ratio for a world rapidly to one way, to counter the effects. It also turns out the sole problem 'corrected' itself in time; in how the real culprit was a third deity who also existed here for a time but had to be ousted for his troublesome effects. But this 'correction' purchased by the two deities is, was, and will continue to be in effect for some time. It won't wear itself out, but also requires deity intervention to mitigate the severity. In time the ratio should drop to 2.5:1 and then 2:1 and even lower; but the effort of these deities will be major.

Thus, the current gender ratio. Three females, one male, yet with hints of some of the previous mentalities. Only, daughters were no longer prized children but yet they weren't and aren't the worst things either.

Problem two: the slavery magic was also a product of the other god fomenting trouble. Since the existence of so many 'extra' males and testosterone, at first it was a matter of some of them willingly submitting to be indentured or enslaved for labor purposes. Initially slaves were treated well, and in most places mistreating a male slave was tantamount of slapping the face of a benefactor. But then too, these things also fell out of practice; and people being what they were, they let out various frustrations on the enslaved.

Also to begin with the races were put on this world in fairly equal numbers. However, certain of the beastkin races and elves grew in numbers more vast than humans too. At some point in a now-ancient war, racial targeting began; and then, favoring beastkin slaves became a thing for the 'nobility'. This didn't so much reduce their birthrate as much as then having 'slave breeders' to produce young slave material by mixing and matching already slaved members of certain races. Thus, children beastkin were brought about because of breeding programs trying to gain the prettiest catkin female courtesans for the brothels, or the strongest wolfkin male fighters for the armies or the gladiator pits, or the smartest elven tacticians for kingdoms and larger merchant companies. Everyone had an angle, trying to breed for this or that property.

Problem three: the origination theory of the races in the world. Only, for deities such as Keigo the God of Responsibility or Genki the Goddess of Activity or even for Kekkek the Demigod of Laughter and Torment, it was no "theory". They first put down the humans, also intending to add other races from the deific catalog; but they were poor. Checking around a *ahem* pseudo legit deific shopping site *ahem* led the trio to see how they could coerce humans to mate (magically, of course) with existing animal and monster races. This expanded the enumeration of races their world then had (and after analysis by a 'neutral third party' also did unlock the legitimate races on the standard shopping sites for reduced costs. A means to an end, if you will.

Therefore, the origination of subhumans ― beastkin and other aberrations ― as having been based upon the human race. Although for all that effort, humans themselves, in this world, were mortified ― excluding any who willingly allowed themselves to partake in this breeding game. Beyond this. Centuries passed; yet human intolerance in the 'civilized' cultures did not lessen their hatred or distrust of these furry or scaly or monstrous appearing races. (Even when Genki said this, she still did not deny how some humans, no matter whether genders were skewed to one extreme or another, still did sate their lusts with the sexual slaves of the demihuman and beastly races. Or, how even the stronger of those slaves were at best prized combatants in the gladiatorial pits, or as mere chain fodder slaves in the kingdoms' armies.

Problem four: a whole idealism and nationalism declaring this or that nation as 'better' or 'superior' than any other. From the perspective of the deities, it's all a farce. From the first ten humans ― five male and five female ― at the conclusion of the Creation event, and the ensuing Procreation Commandment upon them by said deities to 'be fruitful and multiply'. All of these things meant, all biological beings in this world began and remain equal in the eyes of the deities. Even a 'halfbreed subrace' should not be recipient of any animosity.

And the deities' domains bore this out, in grand fashion. So far, Keigo's Responsibility, Genki's Activity, Kekkek's er whatever ... all were based on not physical qualities. It did not and does not matter to them, a color of the fur or hair or skin or scales or any other factor. What matters most is what's inside, what the individual says or does to promote unity or prevent disunity. The deities themselves, even if a pantheon right now is only two of them, that discord and disunity and mayhem will only lead to their world being destroyed from within. They almost found this out by default, from Kekkek doing and saying what he had, to promote his own variant of discord.

So. Finally. Genki had to admit to me, for the deities looking down upon the mortals, it's a matter of them wishing mortals could have more pride versus their prejudices. Pride over prejudice, or ... what? What could the deities do, if mortals no longer held to the truths Keigo and Genki knew from the beginning?

"But Maxwell. Even if I have said all of this ... it's not all so bad; not all mortals are so despicable. Case in point ― a couple in a place near you, a human male also having transferred in from another world, working alongside of a beastkin girl in an adventurer's guild setting. Let me open a view to them, of a scene from a couple weeks back, before you arrived; these two maybe you could see ― because you might see them soon enough-"


PoV: Ginmaru.

"... ah Aminah," I whispered to the nervous kemonomimi1... for those not in the know, from the Japanese word translating to mean 'dog eared'; it's a beastkin subrace of humanoid canids girl. With the wild rainstorm and the sudden lightning strike somewhere near, I tried anything I could to calm her. Lightning struck again, and she tensed to a worried squeal.

"Uah," she emoted. "I, I'm scared of the noise." Even her tail twitching behind her froze stiff with the strike for a second, then drooped to flip back and forth again. I also smell a sharp scent; did she pee by accident in her fear?

My hand which had been performing this headpat followed the contour of her cheek, slowly and gently trying to turn her face first to look at me. I'm still in my tent, under these blankets, but so is she ― crawled out into the rain and across the campsite, and begged to be let into my tent. She's curled up next to my bedding, but not daring enough to crawl under the covers. Either the cold wind isn't a concern or she's afraid to be so close to me too.

I could like her and maybe even love her, in a sense. This crazy world already has a crazy three to one ratio on females to males, and so even if men choose a couple of females, it's not like all women get picked. I also know the bias against the beastkin, of which Aminah is one. I don't care about that, I know her.

Aminah is a free beastkin; we've grown together while adventuring these last couple years of my life here. She's ahead of me in the adventure guild rank, so she was my teacher from the beginning; what's more, I do trust her and also get along with her, and she with me too. So when I lean in to take it to the next level of friendship, and see her blustery confused worried look-

"G, Gin ... t, today is not a safe day," Aminah pulled back, worried this close contact will turn out a certain way. Maybe even regret for the 'night raid' to my tent. Whatever; tomorrow we'll be back to hunting a tribe of goblins ... together.

She flipped her tail in frustration, and her animal ears twitched with nervous worry. She was so eager for the headpats, willing to let me distract her from a rainstorm outside, but pulled back when I tried for more. Yes, I knew she wanted this moment ... and a future chance of more contact ... but maybe ... I did not do well on the timing.

This spring rainstorm is where our true love might start; despite her being a rank D in the guild, she's such a scaredy-cat ... er, scaredy-dog ... when it comes to ... relationships.

"I promised already, Aminah; I won't do anything you don't want. I won't betray that trust, or ignore your needs or wants."

Again, another sharp strike sound outside; she tensed again, holding back her fear this time with effort; then spoke in such a small, worried voice.

"... but Gin, I want ... well ... it just cannot be this week, is all." Her pleading eyes all but said ... 'please wait'-

Noted-

She sighed, easing back from her worry. To feed a family she needed to keep adventuring. To keep adventuring she needed to not have any significant status change. And pregnancy is by far margin one of the biggest worries, biggest status change, for female adventurers.

But. This says nothing about a lone female having need of companionship, or intimacy. To be loved, she still wanted some personal contact, right?

Well then, maybe should I try massaging the ears, those tufted things she often twitched and flipped so subtly to the least sound? Or is it also 'not a safe day' ... to play with those parts too?

I don't really know, how sensitive the beastkin's body parts are-


PoV: Genki the Goddess of Activity.

I see it in Maxwell's face ― he's keenly interested in what more is happening in this duo's lives. Well okay, I can show him; but this can be only the last event ... this time he's with me.

And also, for the scene, I'd allowed slippage of Gin's thoughts into Maxwell's perspective; Max himself should have felt a small bit of what Gin would have felt. It's the same way sometimes I dealt with mortals.

"This Gin is one of my summons into the world. I pick male protagonists because that eases the gender gap, if only for one male to pick three females too. But for the individual males summoned, it's easier to setup their birthing ratios to a more equitable ratio, say a one to one on the genders. You too will have this in your children with the local women. So, Gin with Aminah should work to seemingly provide more males than normal; only it's the other way around ― other births are the ones skewed in gender."

"... do they get together, though? Does Gin and Aminah have this possible future?"

"Ara ara2Another abstracted from Japanese terminology, a gleeful delight by someone in the know, speaking to someone not aware, a "Well, well, well, what do we have here" kind of thought expressed., Maxwell, so interested in them already? Well then, I can let you see just one more scene of them. From one week after this last time-"


PoV: Ginmaru.

Aminah and I were back in Cray Town, headed to the guild ― with me no less confused than the one night a week ago, in the rainstorm. Waking up the next morning and finding Aminah's face ridiculously close to mine, with her still asleep ― her head upon my arm, I tried to slip out but woke her up instead. She'd looked, embarrassed at me; then in a moment of understanding, she merely kissed me on the cheek and slipped out instead. Had me wondering what to think, all of this week out of town.

I think I do, I love her now. But how to ask her to be my first wife, if not only one, on the rather meager pay of a rank F adventurer?

I took all the goblin ears out of my Inventory, and passed them to Aminah; she would by our practice turn them in for us both, and we split things evenly. I trust her in this; and even if she cheated me, I ... well I just don't thing she will, is all.

Ten minutes later while I for some reason was strolling the sidewalk in front of a jewellers' shop, I noted Aminah exit the guild; thus I walked toward her before she saw me in front of this place.

A mere ten steps from her is when it happened, what I'd feared before ― the so called 'town hero' called out in a sudden manner.

"Hey kid," he beamed at me, perhaps thinking I would be 'honored' for him to know me.

A bear of a human man, he didn't stand so tall as wide. As tall as me, certainly; only much much wider at the waist of course.

I saw Aminah tense; clearly she'd heard too his reputation.

"Yeah what."

Taken aback, he nevertheless went on. "Oh you don't know me yet. Obviously this must be an exciting meeting for you, right. I am the town's Select Hero, I go by the name of Jeremy Ronn, maybe my reputation precedes me-"

"-yeah I know you already, by reputation only."

"-aha, and pleased to meet you too, kid. Er, whatever your name is. So I see your pretty dog girl there; wanna sell her to me? I'll give a gold-"

"Nope," I spoke calmly. "She is not for sale."

"... not even, to me? The Select Hero-"

"No."

Aminah expressed so much relief, in those eyes; and also so much fear. Relax, I will never betray you, my dear tan furred beauty.

"T, two go-"

"Nope."

"Why you- ahem. I think you misunderstand me; so what we have is a failure of communication, boy. I put two gold coins into your hand, in exchange for your pretty bitch to be my slave instead. Er, three gold, with proof of virginity-"

I stare, hard ― not in consideration of a deal, but in consideration of his mental density. She has no collar. For a B rank, he sure had a fair amount of ego, or vanity; which is worse-

"Nope. Besides, I cannot sell what I do not own. Aminah is free beas-"

The idiot, quicker than I thought possible, he extracted a leather collar, and waited for his two henchmen to nab her from behind-

-and now I see, he's also a dirty rotten slaver.

I am outmatched, aren't I. Even if he doesn't have a weapon in hand, he's still this level far above me, in threat value. But being a summoned one, I'm not without my skills.

<<Sword Slice>>

Aha, now I have 'disarmed' him, the appendage flopping onto the ground between us ... still holding that damnable collar. Seems even a 'Select Hero' is susceptible to a neophyte's sneak attack.

... only problem is, now he's spraying his foul blood all over ― covering me, Aminah, and even a fair portion of the street too.

But now I'm growling like Aminah should be, launching my own fist at the nearer of the henchmen ― straight knockout ― while Aminah knees the other, in a painful way. While the 'Select Hero' shouts in pain ... I'll just grab her and we'll run.

Continue Gin/Aminah secondary plots?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
6