Chapter 9
8.9k 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zhao Xuan’s feelings worry and distress slowly ebbed away under the little fox’s warm ministrations.

He lightly slapped his bottom twice to express that he was being ‘punished’, then turned around and walked back towards the cave.

Zhou YunSheng didn’t allow this. He kicked with his four paws, and his little head kept trying to push towards the ground, reminding Zhao Xuan about the prize that he had used all his effort to obtain.

His entire body was soft, white and furry. It was very counterproductive. Even in the darkness he was still visible so those small animals didn’t wait for him to get close before running away. After failing to capture anything several times, he had no choice to roll around in the dirt and branches for a while in order to camouflage his body, all so he could capture this mountain chicken.

His lover was injured so right now he needed to eat well to replenish his energy.

Zhao Xuan looked at this caught prey which was even bigger than the little fox. He knit his brow and said, “The reason you ran away was to find me something to eat?”

Zhou YunSheng made two “ao-wu” noises and puffed up his little chest.

He had turned into a purely ornamental fox that didn’t have any demon powers. Just like in his last life, he couldn’t do anything except hide in his lover’s arms and seek his protection. This made him feel very humiliated and useless. His lover had jumped off a cliff for him without a single hesitation and in return he had only brought him a chicken as dinner. That wasn’t enough. When he could turn into a human then he would dedicate his life and body to him in order to repay him.

Zhao Xuan was both angry and touched. He used strength to rub the little fox’s muddy claws and didn’t know what to say. This little thing had really taken up his entire heart. No matter if he was a beast and they didn’t have a future together, in this life Zhao Xuan would have no other.

“Li’Er you’re so awesome, you managed to catch such a big mountain chicken. Luckily I have you otherwise I would have to go hungry tonight.” Looking into the little fox’s gaze which was full of anticipation, Zhao Xuan praised him kindly.

Zhou YunSheng was glad. He used his front paws to move around and called “zhi-zhi-zhi”. He used the beast language to relay his experience of capturing the chicken. Zhao Xuan picked up the chicken and walked slowly towards the cave. Although he didn’t understand a single word, he replied “en-en-ah-ah” and even laughed a few times.

When she heard the Regent’s hearty laughter, OuYang MingYue’s heart went dark. She knew that the little bastard had come back. When she turned around just as she expected she saw the tall and strong man carrying a little white fox in one arm, and a mountain chicken in the other, walking into the cave.

“Li’Er didn’t run away. He saw that this Lord was injured and went to hunt for me.” No matter how mature a man was, he still had a childish side. Zhao Xuan wasn’t any different.

When he thought about how this woman had just said the little fox had run into the forest to escape from him, he was filled with anger. Now that the little fox had come back, he immediately refuted her claim in a proud and pleased manner.

OuYang MingYue had taken care of his snow fox for many months and never saw it become close to her. How long had he been with the Regent? Now he had suddenly learned to be loyal to and protect it’s master. She forced herself to smile but really she hated this snow fox into her bones. She felt that it was really an ungrateful wretch, and even blocked her pathway. Tonight she should try to find an opportunity to get rid of him.

The little thing left but came back. Zhao Xuan was overjoyed. Before he didn’t want to do anything but now busied himself with joy in his heart. He went to get water and firewood  in order to let the little thing rest comfortably. He borrowed some flint from OuYang MingYue and created another separate bonfire. He then found a big stone in a concave shape to use as a bowl and heated up some water. He used some to pour over the chicken in order to be able to de-feather it more easily, and the other half he set aside to use later.

The man and animal together removed all the feathers from the chicken. They sliced open the belly and removed its organs. Then they cut it up and placed it on branch skewers in order to roast it over the fire. OuYang MingYue voluntarily gave them some salt. Zhao Xuan didn’t let her give it for nothing and took off a piece of jade hanging onto his waistband and threw it to her for payment.

The mountain chicken was very quickly cooked and even dripped with oil. The fragrant and and delicious taste wafted up into the air and really wet the appetite.

OuYang MingYue’s mouth drooled when she saw the delicious chicken and her expression was very ugly. If the other people didn’t give, then she naturally wasn’t thick skinned enough to go and ask for it. So she could only endure. Right now outside it was very dark, and there were probably many fierce beasts prowling around. And  the person behind the assassinations probably were also sending more men to find the Regent. Although she had good martial arts, however she wasn’t dumb enough to run outside to her death.

She looked at the Regent and saw that he had not the slightest intention of inviting her over to eat. She couldn’t help shaking her head darkly. This man was the most emotionless and ungrateful man she had ever met. She had saved him twice and even given him medicine and he still didn’t know how to show gratitude? No wonder Xiao Bai and him were such a great pair!

Although she felt very displeased however this only fanned her desire to possess this man greater.

She liked challenging difficult things. She really wanted to see what this emotionless man looked like when he was crazy with desire for her.

On the other side, Zhou YunSheng had almost fainted to death from the fragrant smell of the chicken

He paced around the bonfire, sometimes rushing at Zhao Xuan or the fire with an “ao-wu” sound. The saliva dripped from the corners of his mouth. The appearance was very adorable. He seemed to know that his image was completely ruined, however he still couldn’t control his animal sense and so he completely gave up and ran towards his lover’s side. Zhao Xuan suppressed a smile as the little fox used his teeth to jerk at his sleeve.

“Look at you.” Zhao Xuan rubbed the little fox’s furry head and couldn’t help laughing lowly. He placed the chicken on a leaf that he had washed clean and shredded into small pieces. He saw the little fox rushing over to eat and held him back in a hurry saying, “Wait a moment, wait until it’s cooled down before you eat it otherwise it will burn your tongue.”

Zhou YunSheng hugged a piece of stone on the side and just managed to suppress his urge to rush over.

Zhao Xuan carefully placed the salt onto the meat and after the heat had faded, he fed it to the little fox piece by piece. He even used his finger to wipe the corner of the little fox’s mouth before finally eating a piece himself. This man and beast ate together and shared the meal. When the last piece was left, Zhao Xuan naturally gave it to the little fox but then saw the little fox push him away. The little fox stared at him with large, watery eyes and made “zhi-zhi” noise as though he was saying, you eat it ba.

“You eat it. I’m not hungry.” Zhao Xuan’s dark eyes were filled with thick tenderness.

I’m also not hungry. You eat. My fox body is small, and so is my appetite.

Zhou YunSheng patted his small stomach and put his face to the side.

The corners of Zhao Xuan’s lips couldn’t help lifting. He held the little fox in his embrace and pressed the last piece of meat into his mouth. Then he kissed him on the lips twice then laid against the stones, sighing in satisfaction.

OuYang MingYue had been hiding in the shadows observing this pair. She was shocked at the snow fox’s intelligence and was also very jealous of the precious way the Regent treated him. However very quickly she realized her jealousy was useless. Zhao Xuan did not treat the snow fox as a pet but rather like a small ancestor. Although he hadn’t brought any food, medicine, flint, water or anything needed to survival; in his pockets he was hiding a small washcloth, a small brush, a small cloak and small blanket one chilong. On it was embroidered many butterflies and insects and looked very childish. It completely contradicted with his stern and cold image.

It was obvious who’s things these were. Just then the water that had been laid aside had already cooled down and right now the temperature was just right. Zhao Xuan dipped the small washcloth in the water and carefully cleaned the snow fox’s fur and paws. The movements were exceptionally tender and gentle. Then he took out the little comb and slowly, bit by bit, combed through the snow fox’s fur. Then he wrapped the clock around the little fox’s neck and used the blanket to wrap him up comfortably before placing him inside his clothes. Only this way was he satisfied. He himself only leaned in a casual way against the cold stones and prepared to sleep.

OuYang MingYue’s eyes had nearly gone red. She really wished she could switch places with this snow fox. She had never been without the love and care of men, however she had also never been cared about to this extent. This was really an eye-opening experience. If the Regent was willing to place one-tenth, no one-hundredth, of the care he placed on the little fox onto a woman, then there probably wasn’t a woman into the world he couldn’t defeat.

The more she thought about it the more unhappy she felt. OuYang MingYue lay down next to the fire and her eyes moved in her head as she thought about things all night. It was very difficult to sleep.

The moon went down, the sun came up, and a faint light appeared. Although during the night there were occasionally some beasts that came by however when they saw the fire they backed away. The assassins they had anticipated didn’t appear. The reason was because the Regent’s guards had already surrounded the area. One part of them came to rescue their master, the other were investigating who was being the assassination attempt.

When he heard footsteps approaching, Zhao Xuan immediately got up. First he opened his clothes to take a look and saw that the little fox was sleeping contently inside the blanket. His cold face became suffused with warmth. OuYang MingYue had also woken up at the first sound. She said, “Your Lordship go and hide first, I will go see what the situation is.”

Zhao Xuan rejected her. He walked outside with big steps. “No need, they are this Lord’s guards.” They had blown a low frequency whistle that could only be heard by people who had special training. It was able to transmit a message across thousands of miles.

OuYang MingYue knit her brow and followed behind him. When they entered the thick forest they really saw a group of guards appear in the front. On their clothing they wore the insignia of the Regent’s manor.

This group of people all knelt down to profess their guilt at not having protected their master well, before helping him leave. They completely ignored OuYang MingYue. If her own movements weren’t fast she would have been left behind. After expending all her effort on the arduous climb back up the cliff, OuYang MingYue had already made mental preparations that she would have to walk all the way back. She didn’t dare expect that the Regent would understand the virtue of taking pity on a lady, all of his love and pity was for the little bastard and there was nothing left for others.

Sure enough, once on the top the Regent immediately hopped into the carriage and it sped away. He didn’t even say goodbye to her. The little fox even went to the window and called “zhi-zhi-zhi” mockingly at her. OuYang MingYue lay on the ground with a green face. Underneath her breath she swore and cursed at the Regent and the little fox a hundred times. When she recovered some of her energy she grudgingly got up again and went to look for a way back.

Luckily Bai Lian still remembered her. He was looking for her on a horse and took her back with him.

The assassination of the Regent was a top-level crime in the Tian Yuan Country. On the surface everyone supported the investigation however underneath their thoughts were all chaotic. Some people were terrified to death, others were overjoyed and some were disappointed by the failure.

As for who wanted him dead, Zhao Xuan was very clear in his heart.

For half of his life he had experienced countless assassination attempts. Before he only found them amusing but now he was filled with rage.

Their biggest mistake was throwing the little fox down the cliff. Compared to taking his life, this was even more impossible to bear.

“Kill them all. Don’t leave a single person.” He sat on a chair on a raised dais in a menacing and arrogant way with his legs spread. On the crook of his arm was a sleeping snow fox and an imperial doctor was kneeling to the side helping him re-bandage his wounds.

Below the dais was a few warriors filled with killing aura. After they had been given the orders, regardless of whether or not they had evidence, they had rounded up all the people  that were suspicious. Their movements were also extremely cruel and unmerciful. They directly dragged the people out and beheaded them.

Not two hours after the Regent had returned to his manor, several important people disappeared from court. This included several famous civil and military ministers. Inside the imperial city, all of the important positions among the imperial guards had been changed to Zhao Xuan’s trusted men. Even the guards in the palace had completely changed people. This huge movement was tantamount to flipping the imperial city upside down. Previously this was not something the low-key and peaceful Regent would ever have done.

Ai, isn’t this clearly and plainly expressing that you don’t care about the Emperor at all? What kind of great provocation had the Regent experienced? Previous years there had also been quite a few assassination attempts, however he never got this angry? All of the remaining ministers were hiding in their homes and thinking about this restlessly.

Zhao ZongZheng’’s heart was also in turmoil. He didn’t wait for the imperial doctor to return to the palace but instead went personally to visit the Court Preceptor.

The Court Preceptor’s name was Zhang Qi. When Zhao ZongZheng was still the Crown Prince, he was his teacher. He had made great strides in the area of metaphysics however he knew nothing about court politics and running. He was a real celestial-like recluse. Zhao ZongZheng trusted him a lot and before doing things he would always go to ask him for his opinion.

“Teacher, didn’t you say that the Regent’s aura showed he had already given up? So then why did he retaliate in such a vicious manner? Zhen has carefully cultivated these people painstakingly for many years, and now they’ve all been destroyed by his hand!” Zhao ZongZheng clutched his hands into fists and spoke through clenched teeth.

Zhang Qi laughed lightly. “The will of heavens is thus. Only by making him crazy and over-arrogant can you find a path to destroying him. Previously this minister has read his appearance, and right now he is at the end of his path. The more crazy he comes, then the more his luck will turn.” {T/N: “Read appearance” or “read face” is a way of divinating someone’s fortune based on their facial appearance/aura/etc.}

Zhao ZongZheng naturally trusted Zhang Qi so slowly his turbulent feelings quietened down. After some time the two people arrived at the Regent’s Manor and were quickly taken to the main hall by Wang Bao.

At the same time, Zhou YunSheng felt an extreme sense of danger pressing closer. All of the fur on his body stood up and his four limbs couldn’t help but tremble. This was the natural reaction when a demon beast got close to a celestial master. He couldn’t control himself and only by viciously biting on his own tongue was he able to stop trembling. He jumped out from his lover’s embrace and ran towards the bushes.

Zhao Xuan’s face changed drastically. He abandoned the elite guests in the main hall to run after him and found the little fox in the rock grottos in the back. He saw him curled up in a ball shivering madly, making frightened noises. Zhao Xuan’s heart was pierced with pain.

What was wrong? Just a minute ago he had been fine.

“Li’Er don’t be scared. I’m here, I won’t let anyone harm you. Come out quickly and return to my arms.” Zhao Xuan knelt at the entrance to the grotto and waved towards the little fox.

Zhou YunSheng shook his head.

He could keenly feel that the person who had killed him in his previous life was inside the manor. If he followed his lover out then they would definitely be bound to meet. Right now his demon core was damaged and he couldn’t use magic. So it was like being a piece of fish on a chopping board, he could only await his execution. Even the Regent with his mighty martial arts and power might not be able to protect him.

“Your Lordship, the little master looks like he’s had a fright. Before did anyone scare him?” Wang Bao asked.

Zhao Xuan’s heart was chaotic. He reached out to directly grab the little fox but was swiped by his claws and on the back of his hand two bleeding marks appeared.

This was the first time the little fox had ever harmed him. It showed just how terrified he was.

Zhao Xuan didn’t dare to force him. He could only try to persuade him in a soft voice, “Be good Li’Er and come out. Even if you want to hide, don’t hide in this kind of cold and damp place. There might be bugs, ants or mice. Although they can’t hurt you, if they crawl into your ear it’ll be troublesome. I’ll take you back to the study. I’ll let you hide in the hidden room inside the study okay?”

After he heard this Zhou YunSheng used his paws to cover up his ears and exposed a hesitant expression.

The little fox really understand human speech. He definitely wasn’t an ordinary snow fox.

Zhao Xuan’s heart was filled with both joy and trepidation. He opened his arms and patiently coaxed the little fox out.

Hiding in the secret chamber was naturally better than hiding inside a rock grotto. Zhou YunSheng thought about it for a while before slowly coming out. He climbed back into his lover’s arms and used his tongue to lick the back of his hand, expressing his remorse.

“It’s just a small wound, don’t worry.” Zhao Xuan held his paw back and lifted to his lips to kiss it. He said, “Li’Er who are you scared of? Is it someone in the manor?”

The little fox had been living in the manor for several months and had never shown this behaviour before. It definitely wasn’t one the manor’s people and had to be an outsider.

At this time, an attendant rushed over to say, “Your Lordship, the Emperor and the Court Preceptor are here to see you. They are waiting in the main hall.”

Zhao ZongZheng? The Court Preceptor?

Zhao Xuan’s eyes went dark. He already had a few suspicions and faintly waved his hand. “Tell them that this Lord will be there in a moment.” After that he walked with big strides towards the study. He used a secret mechanism in the wall to open the hidden chamber and took the little fox inside.

Inside the hidden chamber was many books, cages, weapons and a table and a few chairs. It was very clean looking. At the bottom of the hidden chamber there was even a ladder. If you descended down the latter you would come to a secret and vast training room and torture chamber. There there were secret guards. This was the most secret and hidden place in the Regent’s Manor. Other than his trusted aids, he never let anyone else inside.

“Put the weapons away. Li’Er likes to play and I don’t him to hurt himself while I’m not here.” Zhao Xuan pointed at the myriad of weapons on the shelves. He  then personally cleaned the table and placed a soft blanket on it before placing the little fox down. He patted his soft and furry head. “I’ll go and come back quickly. This place is very hidden and no one will find you. Don’t be scared.”

Zhou YunSheng made a “zhi-zhi” sound to express he understood.

Zhao Xuan took out a small box from a corner and opened it. Inside it was filled with night bright pearls. The glow lit up the dark hidden chamber and made it bright and beautiful.

He took out the biggest one and placed it in the little fox’s arms in order to distract him. Then Zhao Xuan finally left, looking back three times every step. After reaching the study he thought of something and then ran to this bedroom and took a stuffed toy as well as a plate of jerky before heading back to the hidden chamber. Then he sent many secret guards over.

“There’s guards everywhere to ensure your safety. If you’re scared just hold onto the stuffed tiger. He’ll take my place in protecting you. Don’t eat too many pieces of the jerky, it’s very tough and might ruin your teeth and they’re not good for the digestion. Be good and I’ll come back soon.” He patiently instructed him again and again, and then kissed the little fox before finally leaving again.

Pei, I’m a legitimate fox demon. Why do I need a stuffed tiger to protect me? Do you think I’m a three year old child?

Zhou YunSheng made a “zhi-zhi-zhi” noise to protest. He flicked the little tiger and night bright pearl a few times in his arms and then couldn’t control his animal instincts and began to roll around and play with them. His appearance was totally not any better than a three year old child.

With his lover’s careful protection, he was able to rid himself of his fear and terror. Also he thought, in this life I haven’t sucked anyone’s yang energy so the Court Preceptor shouldn’t be able to detect me ba.

23