Chapter 15
10k 8 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

OuYang MingYue was wearing a dark colored and masculine-cut ancient robe. She walked with wide steps into the main hall. On her face was a faint and polite smile. In order to complement her appearance, she purposely drew her eyebrows so that they were thick, dark and sword-like. She had also placed powder on her lips to make it slightly less red. Paired with her handsome and heroic looking aura, she completely didn’t look like a weak female.

“Brother WanQi, it’s been a long time. I hope you’ve been well?” She raised her clasped hands in greeting, the motion was neither too humble nor too arrogant. When she saw the youth sitting to one side, a shocked appearance appeared in her eyes.

She liked beautiful men. As long as they had a beautiful-enough face she actually didn’t care which type they were. Steely manly looking ones, cold immortal looking ones, proper looking ones as well as those that gave off a villainous air, all of them could arouse her interest. Originally she thought that, because she came from modern day, she had already opened her eyes to what the world had to offer. To her most “beautiful” people were just ordinary, but when she saw the youth she really knew that it meant when one said that one was beautiful enough to steal the soul.

The youth was lying lazily on a wide taishi chair as though he was completely boneless. One of his hands supported the armrest and the other played with a teacup. He looked over with a gaze that carried laughter, it had the appearance of being both careless and innocent. In a single second it stole OuYang MingYue’s heart.

When he saw his guest staring fixedly at the young master with a somewhat desirous gaze, WanQi Yan’s opinion of the other person dropped to a new low. He knew that the young master’s appearance was too eye-catching, if he didn’t have a high status and powerful support, he would definitely would be bullied outside. Thus WanQi Yan had already decided that he agreed with the Regent’s methods. For example right now, even a random jianghu warrior dared to stare at the little master, how could something like that be tolerated?

“What are you looking at?” He asked coldly. The friendliness from before was gone.

Only then did OuYang MingYue realize that she had been staring. She immediately averted her gaze. She said apologetically, “This young master is too beautiful, I couldn’t help getting distracted. I’m very sorry and beg the young master and the Marquis to forgive this lowly one.”  Her words were very honest and straightforward, so it made it difficult for anyone to get angry with her.

WanQi Yan had already lost his patience. He didn’t beat around the bush but immediately said, “You came to the Manor today to discuss something?”

OuYang MingYue’s skin was extremely thick. Since there was a branch offered she climbed up immediately. She said straightforwardly. “That’s right. This lowly one wants to join the military however I don’t know the correct way to go about doing it. I heard the Marquis is the person to look thus came to the door to volunteer myself. This lowly one knows martial arts and strategy, and can aid the Marquis on the battlefield.”

Zhou YunSheng immediately understood. The female lead wanted go to war to show her talents.

In the past life, the Regent spoiled her into his bones. He gave her everything she wanted. When she said she wanted to go play at the barracks, he gave her his own personal guards to train. When she said she wanted to see the fierce battle and bloodshed on the borderlands, and wanted to lead the battle herself, he allowed her and even gave her the opportunity to become a powerful general. However in this life, the Regent didn’t force her to become his bride. However she still developed the desire to go to war. From this the female lead’s wild ambition was apparent. She was originally a killer, she couldn’t endure this time period’s restraints on the lives of women. She wanted to dress as a man and make a name for herself in the world.

Actually Zhou YunSheng admired this kind of person. However her problem was that when she wanted to rise, the method she would choose was to step on others. This included WanQi Yan, the Lord Regent, all the various civil and military ministers and even Tian Yuan Country’s Emperor. Deep inside in her heart, was hidden the ambition to conquer the entire world.

But how could Zhou YunSheng could he let her have her way?

But he didn’t say anything right now. He wanted to see just how, after her destiny had derailed, the female lead would act to try to bring it back on track. Then he would act accordingly.

WanQi Yan’s interest was piqued by her bold and confident words. He asked, “This Marquis has only met you once, why should I help you? You say that your martial arts is good and that your genius is beyond other people, however this Marquis hasn’t seen any proof.”

OuYang MingYue naturally came prepared. She walked to the door and said, “Bring over the present I brought for the Lord Marquis.”

There were four burly men who had come with her and they came inside now bearing an enormous chest. They had to move aside the table to find adequate space to put it down. When it was placed down there was a very loud thudding noise, demonstrating there was something large and heavy inside. Not only WanQi Yan’s interest was piqued, but even Wang Bao who was preparing to escort the little master back to his room to rest, also came over to view the proceedings with curiosity, unable to stop looking at the chest.

“What is this? You want to give the Marquis a present to bribe him?” Zhou YunSheng changed his lazy position and instead began to walk around the chest.

WanQi Yan also thought this person wanted to bribe him. And he even picked the worst time when the young master was watching. In order to demonstrate he was an upright person, he made his face steely and impenetrable. He said coldly, “So it turns out Brother OuYang’s supposed genius and talent, was bought using gold and silver? This type of thing can buy you a fake reputation but your career and your life isn’t something this Marquis is interested in. Please return.”

“Hold on Brother WanQi, there isn’t any gold or silver in here. Just open it and you’ll know.” OuYang MingYue made a gesture inviting him to take a look. The smile on her face was broad and filled with confidence.

Wang Bao loved sticking his nose in other people’s business. Once he heard that he immediately lifted the lid, then he sighed with disappointment. “Oh, I thought it was something good. Turns out it’s a chest full of mud. Has water gotten into your brain? Why are you giving mud to the Marquis? You want him to grow flowers or plant vegetables?”

Zhou YunSheng propped himself up on the side of the chest and looked inside. Inside there was a mass of earthly colors, however he knew clearly what it was in his heart.

This wasn’t mud. It was an enormous earth model. The geography was the same asNanjiang. In the model, every detail down to each river, valley, mountain and plains were clearly marked on the earth model. In the corner there were many wooden figurines representing foot soldiers, war chariots, horses and etc.

The success of a battle depended on the confluence of geography, timing and people involved. With a model like this, the position of everything could be clearly seen with one glance. Timing and geography could all be evidence. As for the remaining “people”, then that would depend on the performance of the soldiers on the battlefield. But anyone with a good eye could see the enormous importance that this sand table contained. So of course WanQi Yan wouldn’t miss it.

His breathing became heavier. He walked over to the chest and look inside. He said, “Brother OuYang is a genius!”

OuYang MingYue cooly threw back her sleeves. “I think the Lord Marquis can understand its significance clearly. Why don’t you and I play out some battles on the sand board, and see who’s strategy is better?” In order to conquer this man, she needed to attack from his area of interest.

WanQi Yan agreed quickly then suddenly noticed the youth still propped up on the side of the chest was holding a wooden soldier and playing with it. 

In the end, he was still just a child. Look, he was already playing.

“Does this young master want to play too? Meeting each other can be considered a form of destiny. May I ask this young master’s honored name?” OuYang MingYue stretched out her hand in invitation. Her desire to please the young man was apparent.

She was a very serious face-con. She was unable to resist those who were beautiful. So because her focus was fixed on the youth, she didn’t notice WanQi Yan’s suddenly black face.

“Okay ah. I like this little battle.” Zhou YunSheng placed two soldiers into the chariot and pushed it onto the model. He completely showed no intention of telling her his name.

OuYang MingYue was rejected and her good feelings towards the other person faded slightly. She thought this bear child is too arrogant, in the days to come she would need to train him well.

WanQi Yan felt the little master was both innocent and cute. He couldn’t help rubbing his head. When he withdrew his hand he couldn’t help rubbing his fingers together, as though he was very greedy about the sensation it had just experienced. When OuYang MingYue saw this she wanted to copy him but the youth shied away from her. When he saw this, WanQi Yan’s mood became infinitely better. He hurried to cover up the smile on his face with his hand.

The young master would let him touch, but wouldn’t let OuYang Ming (the name OuYang MingYue was using) touch. It was clear that the youth had drawn a line between those who he felt familiar with and those he felt distant from.

However although these two people invited the youth to join their mock war, however they didn’t actually place him into their eyes. They each picked 50,000 soldiers and horses and began playing out the battle. When they saw the youth doing the same thing, however taking it to a deep valley as though playing by himself, they threw him to the back of their mind and began fighting each other.

Although it was supposedly 50,000 soldiers, of course there wasn’t 50,000 figurines. Only a representation of it.

WanQi Yan had been involved in hundreds of battles. His experience was very plentiful. OuYang MingYue had a modern person’s out-of-the-box thinking which was different from traditional battle strategy. It was difficult to differentiate who was stronger among the two of them, after contesting several times, both people had only 10,000 soldiers and horses left. So it can be considered a tie.

WanQi Yan was considered a war god in Tian Yuan Country. His victories in battle were countless and his accomplishments beyond description. However right now he couldn’t beat a no-namejianghu warrior. He was filled with admiration and even started developing a love for the other person’s talent. OuYang MingYue knew her goal had been accomplished. She didn’t want to wilt away in the OuYang family manor any longer. All she wanted was to make a name for herself in the wide world. She was originally a killer so where else other than a battlefield could be more suitable for her?

The two people gazed at each other with mutual respect and admiration. Just as they were about to open their mouths to discuss, the youth’s clear and crisp voice sounded, interrupting the somewhat ambiguous and almost romantic atmosphere. “When the snipe and the clam are fighting, the fisherman will get the victory. I’ve won.”

The two people turned to look and saw that the youth took out the soldiers from the valley and placed it beside the two people’s decimated troops. When they counted they saw that he had only used approximately 10,000 troops to completely eliminate the two people’s 100,000 total troops. This victory wasn’t something that was minor.

WanQi Yan’s froze then laughed heartily. “I forgot about the young master’s troops. I made the error of underestimating my opponent, so I accept this loss.” His admiration of OuYang MingYue’s cool way of using her troops was reduced by his small and comical interlude.

OuYang MingYue also laughed. She said coaxingly, “The little master is very cool and warrior-like. Why don’t we fight a few more rounds?” She only wanted to accompany the youth to play a bit more. She didn’t really think the other person had talents. The fact that he could win this time was purely because he had taken advantage of their lack of attention.

“Okay ah.” Zhou YunSheng raised his eyebrow. His smile seemed very pure, however there something sharp hidden inside them.

It was a pretty that OuYang MingYue only saw him as an ornamental vase and didn’t notice it.

WanQi Yan moved to one side to help the young master count his troops.

On the battlefield, he never underestimated any opponent. What OuYang MingYue saw as luck, in his eyes he saw as someone taking quiet advantage and control of the situation. If the young master could be regarded by the Regent, then he obviously had some special qualities.

The two people picked their positions, troops and secretly decided on their battle strategy.

OuYang MingYue originally intended to give the young master an advantage. However after skirmishing twice, she lost both times and didn’t even have any ability to retaliate. After that no matter what method she used to try and save herself, she couldn’t turn the situation around and within 45 minutes lost her entire army. She didn’t want to admire failure so she kept asking to play again, however each time she lost more and more quickly. Initially she could still maintain about 15 to 30 minutes, but towards the end she would lose within a few moves. The battle was very ugly.

She didn’t really understand ancient battle strategy so didn’t even know how she had lost. However WanQi Yan saw it very clearly and felt shocked. The ten thousand strategy, the round strategy, the distance strategy, the numbers strategy, the conical strategy, the hook strategy, the water strategy, the fire strategy, the ten biggest types of battle strategies were used by the young master to god-like effect. And according to the situation he was even capable of mixing two, three or even four strategies together, changing them accordingly. Not only was the effect maximized, but they were even impossible to counter. Such a genius ability to strategize, and such efficient and god-like methods, if he appeared on a real battlefield, what kind of awesome scene would appear?

When he saw the youth grinning at him with an innocent face as though he was just playing, and then looking at the green-faced OuYang MingYue suffering loss after loss, WanQi Yan shook his head with a sigh. How could he develop any further interest or curiosity in him under these circumstances?

Losing was something that was quite normal. So what was the point of working yourself up to this state and losing all of your self-respect? This person clearly was small-hearted and shallow-tempered. He could still be used, but he definitely couldn’t be given any great responsibility.

“The young master is very talented.” OuYang MingYue only managed to grind out these words after some time and effort. The smile on her face was very wooden. Since she had come to Tian Yuan Country, she had first met Lin WenBo and thus became noticed by her family. Although there was some small troubles in between however everything had been solved smoothly. Now with Bai Lian and Fang WeiTong’s support, she took to the Imperial City like a fish in the water. Even Grandfather OuYang didn’t dare to offend her lightly. Originally her heart already had a 7/10 arrogance, but after coming to ancient times and meeting ancient people, her arrogance rose to 10/10. She always felt that in this world there was nothing she couldn’t do.

She wanted to be a general and immediately got news from Bai Lian about WanQi Yan’s movements. She schemed a meeting between them. Originally she thought she just had to show some small talents and the other person would immediately be conquered by her. However she never expected that she would suffer such a humiliating defeat. She definitely wouldn’t admit that she wasn’t able to beat a fifteen, sixteen year old child. But the fact of the matter was she was completely helpless in the face of the other person’s assault. Her arrogance and confidence was shattered by the other person into smithereens, this type of helpless feeling, this feeling of being pushed down to the ground and trampled on, she had only felt from the Regent before.

“Can I ask this young master’s honorable name? The young master is a genius, this lowly one is very admiring.” She said ‘admiring’ from her mouth, however in her heart OuYang MingYue was plotting how to obtain this youth so she could recover her pride.

“You’re not in a position to know my name yet. How much money do you want for this thing?” Zhou YunSheng played with the wooden chariot and raised his eyebrow. His originally beautiful and exquisite features contained a hint of arrogance, it made people unable to avert their eyes.

OuYang MingYue raised her clasped hands. “This earth table is a present for his Lord Marquis so how could I accept money?”

Not accepting money meant wanting the other person to owe you a favor. She wanted to use this earth table to exchange for an opportunity to become a military official. WanQi Yan’s original slight bit of admiration had long been washed away by her immature demonstration of anger and fury. He immediately rejected her, “If you don’t want to sell it then this Marquis cannot accept this gift. Someone come and help me send the guest out.”

OuYang MingYue raised her head with surprise. When she saw his cold face, she knew that all of today was for naught.

Now that she had shown this earth table to others, they could construct one privately on their own. Not only Nanjiang, orXijiang, there were many intricate maps on the battlefield. There were also many talented craftsmen. The things they would be better than hers and even more complete. This was lawless society where power dictated everything. Rights to anything could be obtained by killing and stealing. If they wanted to steal her invention, then what could she do to them? What, sue them for copyright?

She had lost big today!

OuYang MingYue’s heart felt panicked and anxious. She didn’t want to stay any longer. She forced herself to smile as she bid goodbye to the two people. She ordered the four burly men to take the chest and left in a hurry.

Zhou YunSheng had viciously smacked down OuYang MingYue. However he was still not completely reassured. He looked at WanQi Yan and said gravely, “This person cannot be given any important tasks. Her purpose in coming here was for you to help pave her career, but she pretended it was to help you. In her words there wasn’t any sign of humbleness or gratitude. Only arrogance and self-importance. Her ambition is very wild. You definitely can’t give this kind of person any chance to fly to the sky. If you raise her to a high position, she definitely won’t be grateful to you but will instead treat everyone around her like stepping stones. If the Lord Marquis helps her, it’s tantamount to inviting a wolf into your home.”

These words weren’t exaggerations. OuYang MingYue’s personality was incredibly hard and unyielding. On the surface she was the Empress of two countries, but in reality both Zhao ZongZheng and the Da Yong Country’s Emperor were both her puppets. Other than warming her bed, they didn’t have any other uses. If they obeyed her then they naturally could live comfortably. If they disobeyed her, then their fate would be even more pitiful than Li WenBo.

WanQi Yan listened carefully then reviewed OuYang MingYue’s each word and action. He felt it was really true. If he left this person by his side, then no doubt one day he would stab him in the back and not even leave a corpse for others to find.

{T/N: Just to be clear, actually the author doesn’t use pronouns (he/she) much since there’s ways to get around it in Chinese. However when it is used, ZYS obviously refers to her as “she” and WQY as “he”. When spoken out loud there is no difference in pronunciation.}

He shook his head. He thought darkly that he had nearly been tricked. Luckily the young master was here, if he wasn’t then he would definitely take the other person as his destined friend and take him under his wing, before placing great importance on him.

Since WanQi Yan seemed as though he had taken his words to heart, Zhou YunSheng felt satisfied. He picked up his bag and wanted to go back to his room to have a nap.

WanQi Yan immediately snapped to attention and led him back to the back courtyard.

“I only just returned home too and not everything is complete in the manor. So right now things are a bit threadbare. If the young master is missing anything, just ask the steward to prepare it for you. If it’s something that we don’t have in the Manor, I will immediately order people to buy it. There’s no trouble at all.” When he looked around the empty-looking room, WanQi Yan felt as though he was not treating his important guest well enough.

Before meeting the youth, he had taken him for a bumpkin that used his sexuality to gain favors. But after meeting him, the youth was not only devastatingly beautiful, but even his talents were shocking. He was so young but already a genius strategist. What would he be like in a few more years? No wonder the Regent treated him like precious pearl or jade, he really was worth it.

“I only need a bed. This room is good enough.” In his last life he had lived in a fox cave. So this was infinitely better.

WanQi Yan originally thought the young master would be very spoiled and difficult to please. But instead he saw him walk to be bed and throw his bag onto it carelessly. He couldn’t help smiling. How was this spoiled ah, clearly he was a very direct person.

Zhou YunSheng had fought with OuYang MingYue for a long time. He felt sleepy. He opened his bag and took out all his little toys and pushed them to the side of the bed. Then he picked up the little stuffed tiger and habitually chewed on it a few times. Then he hugged it and rolled around on the bed a few times. Only when he was about to close his eyes he suddenly remembered he was in the Marquis Manor and not the Regent’s Manor! And WanQi Yan was even watching him.

Goddammit, so humiliating! His ears went red. However he pretended to be calm and waved his hand. “The Lord Marquis can return and rest now. You don’t need to worry about me.”

“Okay, then I’ll be going. If the young master wants anything when you wake up, then ask Eunuch Wang to come to the study to find me.” WanQi Yan’s face was placid as he raised his clasped hands to say goodbye. But when he closed the door and walked a short distance away, he finally covered his mouth with his hands and burst out into laughter. He didn’t think the young man would actually hug a stuffed toy to sleep. How old was he? Where had the Regent found a treasure like him? If there was another one of similar type, he also wanted to raise one.

He spent most of his time away at war. So he most appreciated strong and courageous men. That’s why he was attracted to the seemingly cool, handsome OuYang MingYue who had superior martial arts. However now that he met the young master, he now knew what kind of miraculous people the world contained. His appearance might be beautiful and delicate, as though he could be broken with one hand, however deep inside his heart was hidden boundless intellect and daring. His personality was direct and cute, however at the same time sly and quick. Everything seemed to be at odds which made him even more fascinating. If the first person to meet the young man was him, how good it would be…

When he thought of this his smile suddenly froze. Then a feeling of deep disappointment and loss spread throughout his chest.

25