5-Hunting Rank 0 Magical Beast
578 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saga 1: The Fall of the Evening

Arc 1: The Maidens of Ashkera

There was a group of five people chatting on a table. They were people that had offered Allen to join their hunting group. Allen approached a brown-haired man who seemed to be their leader.

“Hello,” Allen greeted him.

The man was just gulping down ale. His eyes widened when he saw Allen. “Oh, you are Mr. Vos. May I help you with something?”

“Do your offer from yesterday still valid? I wish to join your hunting group.”

The man smiled. “Of course, it’s our pleasure to work with you. I heard every group you joined always succeed in hunting.”

Allen waved his hands. “That’s just an exaggeration. It depends on what we hunt.”

“With you, we have six members. We are planning to hunt the bigger beast, Giant Babirusa. How’s that, Mr. Vos.”

“I am okay with it. So, when do we start, Mr…?”

“You can call me Carry. We will go after breakfast.”

After that, Mr. Carry introduced his companions. The man with a brawny body and dark skin was Hugo; the bucktoothed man was Ian; the bald man’s name was Bob; the last member was a skinny woman, Irene.

It seemed they had plenty of experience in hunting. Allen knew it when he saw their equipment. Each of them wore dirty leather armor; it looked old. However, their weapons were new.

Allen nodded. Only people with hunting experience could afford new weapons. He too could afford it if he wasn’t too stingy in spending money.

As for his equipment, Allen wore a leather vest and long shirt underneath his cloak. Around his waist, there were several pouches and two daggers. He carried a leather sack on his back.

Allen had breakfast with them. After that, they went to the forest outside the city again.

Most magical beasts were active in the night. However, those that active in daylight existed too. Usually, they were weaker magical beasts.

The Giant Babirusa was one of them, a rank 0 magical beast. Normal humans could hunt them in a group. However, they were still tough.

As they passed through bushes for a while, they finally met a Giant Babirusa that was eating. Luckily, the magical beast was solitary, making it one of the most wanted hunting targets.

The creature that stood before them had an enormous body. Allen estimated its size was half of a two-floored tavern. Its long upper canines were penetrating the skin and curving backward over the front of the face. It had short, black fur and almost appeared bald.

“So, do you all have experience with hunting that creature?” Allen asked.

Carry nodded. “Yeah, a few years ago, we hunted it with a man who had a famous reputation like you. He taught us the beast’s weakness.”

“Oh, who was it?”

“It was the man known by epithet Bloody Insect, Mr. Reymond.”

Allen’s eyes widened. “So, it was him.” He naturally knew the man; he was a good acquaintance of him. He got the secret to hunt Blue Scavenger Worms from him too.

“Do you know him, Mr. Vos?”

“Naturally. He taught me many things too. For example, the Giant Babirusa’s weakness is the belly. We can hunt them on daylight and it’s best to attack them after they finish eating, which is now.”

Irene stepped back and created a distance from Allen and Carry. Bob and Hugo scattered. Ian was hiding somewhere else. They had rounded the babirusa that had finished eating. It lied on its knees.

Irene pulled her bow and aimed at the babirusa. The arrow flew and hit its head.

The babirusa stood and immediately charged towards them. Irene ran away to the back of the beast. Allen and Carry dodged the charge too.

While Carry almost fell when he jumped to left, Allen immediately made his stance after dodged the charge. He threw a dagger from his waist. His attack stabbed the beast’s eyes.

Allen was surprised. He knew his dagger-throwing skill wasn’t bad, but he didn’t know it was fast enough to catch magical beast off guard.

“Maybe it was because of my improved strength? Just meditating once, I gain this much power.”

Steam came out of the babirusa’s nostrils. It looked angrily at Allen.

“This is bad. Bob, Hugo, now!” Allen shouted.

The babirusa kicked the ground several times and charged towards Allen. Suddenly, Bob and Hugo appeared from both sides, swinging their hammer and axe.

Allen ran toward a tree as they hit the babirusa’s belly. However, before their weapons could damage it, babirusa’s body suddenly engulfed in steam. Repulsive force surged out and hit them.

Bob and Hugo flew. Allen had used a stem as a foothold and stumbled to the side before the babirusa destroyed the tree.

Allen looked at the men that fell and sighed. He knew the babirusa would use its magical ability. However, if he didn’t call them, he wouldn’t have time to dodge the beast’s attack.

Allen looked at his body. He didn’t expect to successfully dodge babirusa’s attack completely. He had estimated that he would suffer some injuries.

“Luckily, my body has improved, even if it’s not much.”

The beast destroyed several trees before stomped the ground and stopped moving. Allen used this moment to approach Bob and carried him away. Ian appeared from a bush and pulled Hugo.

“I found the trace of Berserk Mushroom. I think that beast has eaten those things,” Ian said.

“No wonder it was suddenly used its magical ability. Normally, Giant Babirusa has a lazy tendency. Now, it won’t stop crushing everything until tired,” Allen replied.

Carry suddenly appeared beside them and peeked through the bushes. The beast started destroying nearby trees. “What should we do now? Should we wait until it’s tired?”

Allen shook his head. “I am afraid we can’t do that. Magical beasts usually have high stamina.”

Carry bitted his lips and asked hesitantly. “Then, should we give up?”

Allen replied, “Of course no! We will lure that beast. Since it’s in a berserk state, it will unleash its magical ability at the sight of living beings. With that, we can exhaust it.”

Ian checked Hugo and Bob. “This is bad, Mr. Vos. Our damage dealers suffer heavy injuries and have passed out. I am afraid we can’t continue this.”

Suddenly they heard a scream. The babirusa had found Irene’s hideout. The beast charged at her.

Irene was blown away by the beast’s repulsive force. The babirusa stomped at her lower body before she could stand up. She looked in horror as she saw her lower body became meat paste. Then, she died like that. Both Ian and Carry shocked when they saw this.

“We… We can’t do this. Let’s flee!”

Ian was about to turn around. However, a dagger suddenly penetrated through his neck. He muttered something before fell with confused expression.

“Mr. Vos, what are you do—”

Allen punched Carry’s chin and the latter passed out. He sighed. If they hadn’t panicked and planned to flee, he wouldn’t kill them. He still had some plans after all.

“It seems I will deal with the beast myself.”

Allen beheaded four of them and put their heads inside a basket net. He picked Hugo’s long axe and slowly approached the beast from behind.

Allen put Ian’s head on the ground and hid in a nearby bush. He whistled.

The babirusa turned around and saw Ian’s head. Steam engulfed its body as it charged toward the head.

Allen silently followed the beast from the side. When the steam from its body disappeared, he got out of the bushes and aimed its belly. The axe left a deep slash; the babirusa bled out.

“My improved strength actually can injure the beast deeply! It’s two times my normal attack.”

Allen didn’t dare to standstill and ran again. The babirusa could still see his cloth before Allen could completely hide. It immediately used its magical ability toward Allen. He threw Carry’s head as a diversion. As expected, the beast followed the head.

Allen followed it again. When the steam disappeared, he attacked again on the same spot. This time guts came out of the beast’s belly.

Allen ran passing a tree. He threw Bob’s head, hoping the babirusa would follow it again.

However, the beast suddenly gained clarity. It crashed against the tree and followed Allen.

Allen threw the last head at the babirusa. Hugo’s head bothered its vision, so he could step aside. He swung the axe on the same spot. The guts finally splattered to the ground. He ran to a nearby bush and waited for some time.

After a while, the babirusa finally fell. However, Allen still waited behind the bush. After he was sure the beast finally dead, he came out and approached the corpse.

Allen pulled his dagger from the beast’s eye and cut just enough hide he could carry. He didn’t forget to get some meats and blood. He left the place before other beasts would get attracted.

Allen had arrived in the city. He was standing at the backyard of the tavern. Coincidentally, the blonde receptionist was hanging clothes and fabrics.

“Big Sister,” Allen called.

The blonde lady turned back and gasped when she saw Allen. He was naked and covered in blood. “Mr. Vos?”

“Let me use the bathroom.” Allen carried a wooden bucked and headed to the bathroom.

As he poured the water to his body, the door was knocked. “Who is it?”

“It’s me.” It was the sound of the receptionist lady. “Can I come in?”

Allen rubbed his skin with his hand. “No! I smell of blood.”

“I am naked,” said the receptionist lady.

Allen gulped. “Is it free?”

“Stingy as ever, aren’t you? I will give you free service for today.”

 Allen opened the door. The receptionist lady stood before him. She held a small tower to hide her attractive parts.

The receptionist lady entered and closed the door. “Let me wipe your body.”

Allen let her wiped his back with the towel. “Don’t you busy, Big Sister?”

“It’s the rest time. So, you have come back from your mission?”

“What does it look like?”

“Where are the others?”

“Why do you care, Big Sister?”

The receptionist lady pressed her hands to give Allen a pressure. However, it was ticklish to Allen.

“I naturally care. It’s my job to take care of hunters after all. Hunters are the main source of this city’s income. Moreover, Carry and other had used my service several times.”

“Dead, they are dead. We were hunting a Giant Babirusa.”

“How did you survive?”

After Allen gave her some lie answers, the receptionist lady stopped washing his body, leaving him alone in the bathroom. He sighed.

“I managed to trick her. The city official naturally won’t pursue some unnamed hunters’ death in the forest. It’s risky.”

After bathing, Allen sold some of his hunting and rented a room. Inside the room, he sat on the edge of the bed and looked at the remaining hunting parts he had. The only thing left was some pouches of the babirusa’s blood.

“It was a pity I couldn’t bring the beast’s whole corpse. Giant Babirusa is one of the most expensive hunting targets for normal humans. It’s easy to kill as long as the hunters are careful. Because the body is big, many parts of its body are useful.”

Allen opened the thick book he got from the orphanage. In Lifesteal Aura pages, there was a note on how to increase the speed of awakening spiritual roots.

16