23-System Upgrade
197 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
2/3 chapters of the week. Enjoy.

Allen covered the hole with several darkness chains, leaving no path to get out. Luckily, the hole wasn’t deep from what he sensed through the chains.

One chain came out with skewered rats, while the others were covering the hole.

Several rats came out from the gap of the pulled chain. They jumped and bit him.

“Dark Claw!”

Allen clawed the rats one by one. He didn’t forget to put in the chain to cover the hole completely.

Allen killed them all, but his bleeding was severe and deep. He didn’t have time yet to take care of it. From then, he made sure to annihilate the rats in the hole before pulling the chains.

After some hours, there was a pile of corpse beside him. Maybe around hundreds of dead rats. When he sensed there wasn’t any rat anymore in the hole, he cast off the spell.

Allen covered the pile of corpses with his lifesteal aura. He refined many souls at once. He could feel the despair of those rats.

Allen gritted his teeth and forced himself to withstand the pain. However, he overestimated himself. His consciousness faded off.

“I can’t allow this to happen!”

Allen sat cross-legged and converted some of the life force into mana. He revolved around his spiritual sea. At the same time, he healed his injury too.

All of his efforts weren’t enough. The pain was too immense. What should he do to eliminate these souls?

Allen came to realization and summoned the system. “Absorb the soul!” he commanded.

Allen could see the number of the soul increased in the system. 1/100. 7/100. 15/100.

It kept increasing until it reached 50/100. Then, a message came into his mailbox.

The First and Last Mission from the Oldest Being in the Entire Multiverse.

Status: Complete

Rewards: 1. 50 additional experiences to the system. 2. Free pass to reach tier 2.

The experience of the system immediately went up to 100/100. A tremendous change happened.

The system has evolved to tier 1. Choose one of these features:

-Scan: the system will have an ability to identify something similar to user’s cultivation. (Rare)

-Necromancy Aid: a passive feature that will help the user in refining souls, speeding its process, vanishing the pain of absorbing souls completely, and increasing the success rate. (Rare)

-Lifelike Intelligence: The Will of the Universe will bestow your system a spirit. Your system will become a living entity. (Unique)

-Ancient Beasts Favor: gain ten missions, each from every ancient beast. When the user completes the quest, he will be bestowed with a powerful ability unique to the ancient beast’s authority. (Legendary)

Note: the wisest being in the entire multiverse is being kind to the user due to the user's past service. Please choose the feature wisely

Allen confused. “What’s this? Why on earth the so-called wisest being is interested in me this much? Wise, huh? Is this a test?”

Allen was about to tap the legendary feature, but he stopped. “Is it for the best? Think, Allen.”

Allen pondered for a while. Then, he remembered how the original could learn four mana absorption techniques. The fact he knew to create a portal to another world. Lastly, the fact he had regretted his choice.

“Greed isn’t good. In fact, why would I want a favor from those ancients? Most of them despise me. If I won’t choose the greatest feature, I will choose the most suitable for me!”

Allen tapped the second feature. A message came to his mailbox.

Are you sure about this choice?

“Fuck, yeah!”

Adding Necromancy Aid to the system.

Custom Necromancer System

Tier: 1 (Rare)

Description: a system that’s been custom made to aid the necromancer.

Allen checked the feature. It was still the same as before. He couldn’t click necromancy aid, but he was sure it was a passive feature.

He checked the mailbox and clicked the free ticket to upgrade to tier 2. But, a message suddenly came in, saying he could only upgrade to the next tier after he advanced to the next realm.

“Well, I guess I have to be satisfied with the current system.”

Allen once again refined all the souls at once. He widened his eyes in surprise. “I can’t feel pain anymore. This is great.”

Allen maintained his focus. Not long after, all despaired souls turned into renegade spirits. “This is great. Necromancy aid is great.”

Allen looked at the time limit on the wall. 20:07 hours.

“Almost 4 hours had passed. Maybe I can finish the task earlier than the masked man has expected. Hmm, but what should I do from now? Creating undead? Without the coffin, I can only create ordinary undead.”

Allen pondered. “What will normal people do if they are trapped in this situation? The masked man says this is only the test. He has to hide the clue to clear it somewhere.”

Allen looked at the hole and muttered. “Somewhere, huh. There’s no place better to hide something but this hole.”

Allen flayed a rat and injected it with a renegade spirit. Black mist-covered its entire body. The undead rat awoke.

“Luckily, I have mastered this vision technique. The Mark of Shadow Sentry!”

A mark appeared in the rat’s skull. Their visions were linked. Allen ordered it to inspect the hole.

Allen was right. In the deepest part of the hole, there was a scroll. The rat took it with its mouth and left the hole.

When the rat came out, Allen took the scroll and read it. He didn’t forget to record the video of it.

“The undead soldiers outside of the center are ordered to chase after any moving things. The real task to clear this test is to hijack those undead soldiers from my control and make them yours. The difficulty is easy. The reward is you can bring them out.”

Allen smiled. “This is interesting. According to this scroll, they don’t create undead by injecting corpses with renegade spirit. They are more like a doll that’s moved by the black mist than undead. To hijack the undead, I have to overwrite the black mist.”

Allen suddenly felt proud in his heart. “My necromancy is more superior. If my theory is right, I can do it easily. I will surprise the smiling man.”

Allen decided to make all rat corpses into the undead. Surprisingly, he made it all without fail.

He backed away from the glass wall he intended to open and ordered his rat soldiers to line up before it.

As Allen chanted the spell, the glass wall slide down.

The rats jumped and ran past the undead armies. They immediately chased after it. However, one of them stayed.

The ghost woman stared at him. Allen chanted the spell to close the path again, but the woman already rushed in.

Allen summoned several darkness chains, but none of his attacks touched her.

The woman screamed and intended to grab him. But, a renegade ghost rushed out of his chest and entered her body. Her body stiffened.

Allen opened the glass wall again and ran out. After a while, the woman chased after him.

“Shit, how am I supposed to control her? Is she the target too? She’s too powerful. The ghost can’t be only an empty vessel without a spirit.”

As Allen turned left, he met an undead that chased one of his rats. It looked at him and chased him too.

Allen ran back to the center. In front of him, the ghost woman intercepted him. He summoned a renegade ghost again to stun her and ran past her.

Allen entered the center with the undead and closed the path.

The undead bolted at him. Flame covered its hands as it threw a barrage of punches at him.

Allen swayed back and cast several dark chains to bind its limbs. He held a renegade spirit in his hand and injected it into the undead.

The undead shook. The black mist around it flicked and depleted. It lasted for a while before the mist came back. Allen could feel the connection between them.

“This is such a nice gift. The undead is trained with martial magic. That was the first time I saw it.

“What made me confused was this skeleton clearly like a doll with no intelligence, but it could master martial magic. Beasts have natural ability, but how did this undead could train with martial magic? He didn’t have intelligence before I injected the spirit. Maybe their necromancy isn’t inferior at all. I will learn this later.”

He made the undead demonstrated the flame fist. The move was like a master. As it punched, its hands gathered mana and transform it into flame. The undead didn’t need a chant. It was like a natural ability. This was martial magic.

“If I push the limit of my Gu Style, maybe I can master martial magic too. However, I have decided that martial arts aren’t suitable for me.”

Suddenly an undead rat approached the center, bringing another undead human.

Allen smiled. “The same strategy. I will pull one by one while ignoring the ghost.”

Allen opened the wall and let them came in. He didn’t forget to keep the ghost outside by stunning her.

His plan worked up. After endured the same repetition, he had turned all skeleton undead in four directions to be his own.

Allen pulled the spirits that were injected into the rats and moved it inside the human skeletons. Those souls shouldn’t be compatible, but he made it. Maybe it was because of the unusual of their necromancy that didn’t use spirit to raise undead.

Allen had finished the task anyway or so he thought. The time limit showed three hours left and he had waited for an hour. There was no sign of this test had finished. He panicked.

“There are still four rats left and there are four woman ghosts. It seems I have to control them too. How do I do that? They are different kinds of undead than the skeleton. There’s no clue in here. I have to search for it somewhere else.

“All undead are designed to respond to moving things. I will lure them away. There must be some clues in their prisons.”

2