Chapter 3: A Demon’s Promise
674 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Give it here already!”

“No! Gimme!”

“Nngh- S-Stop pulling...! I’m just trying to wash it! You don’t want it to be dirty, do you?!”

“Nooo! Let go, let go! It’s MINE!!!”

“A-Ah, um…” Bernadetta smiled awkwardly as a drop of sweat slid down her cheek. She extended one hand out in a weak attempt to interrupt the tug-of-war going on between her childhood friend and adopted daughter over the latter’s scarf. It was hardly a rare occurrence, since it happened whenever it was time to do laundry at the church. “Please… please don’t fight…”

From the side, Josefine let out a cheerful shout as she watched the battle unfold. “Woo-hoo! Go Micah! Show that mean ol’ Miss Henrietta what’s what! Fight-o!”

“H-HEY! Stop encouraging her! If you have time to give a running commentary, then help me!”

“Sorry, but I’m on Team Micah for life~ I’m gathering as many Big Sister points as I can now so she’ll say I’m her favorite later~!”

“Big Sister Josefine is the best~!”

“Ufufu~ See, see? You better shape up if you wanna take the top spot around here, Auntie Henni~”

“Grr…! Like- like I care about that! I-I don’t care one bit if I’m not her favorite! I don’t! I’m serious! It doesn’t… b-bother me at all…!”

“Auntie Henni is a big ugly meanie face! Mlehhh~”

“Hah?! D-Don’t make a face at me! Why do I have to be the bad guy here?! I’m just trying to wash your stupid scarf for you!”

“Haa…” Bernadetta let out a sigh as she settled into a seat of her own. It seemed that, like all of the other times, there would be no assuaging either side until things settled down on their own. Lately, Micah had been getting more and more independent as her personality developed over time. For example, she’d never really been a fan of eating lighter foods ever since she was weaned (She was surprisingly eager to stop breastfeeding as soon as possible. ...W-Was her milk that bad?), but recently she’d been keeping up with them at dinnertime without much issue. Eating things like bread, meat, and eggs were no problem for her, and she even seemed to prefer it.

But more to the point, her relationship with the others began to change as she grew better at communicating with them. Josefine had taken it upon herself to tutor Micah in things like reading and math, an offer that hardly had any room for objection considering how part of the teen’s volunteer work at the library was doing the exact same thing to other children. Adding onto that the fact that she began to resemble Josefine physically more and more over the years, and it was no surprise the two became much closer as a result, almost like real sisters.

And when it came to Henrietta, Micah tended to be more submissive towards her, but would display the kind of fire that could even make her childhood friend back down whenever the woman tried to separate her from her scarf.

Though she was happy that Micah was getting along with the other nuns, Bernadetta couldn’t help but feel slightly lonely at the idea that her little babe was moving further and further away from her. How long would it be before she left to pursue bigger things? Her stomach twisted a bit just imagining little Micah all grown up and ready to take on the world for whatever dreams that would sprout in that head of hers.

“I see they’re at it again.” Brunhilde’s amused voice registered in her ears and broke her out of her thoughts as the old woman settled into the seat beside her.

“Yes. Micah’s usually so sweet and docile, but she gets so… zealous, whenever someone tries to take her scarf. I wonder why it is that she’s so fixated on it. She even wears it in the shower and when she sleeps.”

“Perhaps the answer doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things,” Brunhilde replied as they continued watching the two yank on the ends of the scarf. “If it’s something important to her—something that makes her happy—then perhaps that’s all that really matters. It isn’t a parent’s job to understand every little detail about their child.”

“Yes, you’re right. But perhaps if I knew why being separated from it makes her so upset, I could explain it to Henrietta and we can avoid fights like this…”

Brunhilde’s withered body rattled slightly. “Ha ha, fights like this are important for a family. Believe it or not, one day when she’s grown up and left us behind, she will look back on moments like these and smile fondly. In fact, I would say that our job as a family is to instill as many good memories of us within her before we’re dead and gone.” She smirked to herself. “Then again, perhaps I’m being rather presumptuous saying this to someone who hasn’t even reached the age of thirty yet.”

“N-No, that’s not true at all…” Bernadetta said awkwardly. “I think there’s some truth to what you’re saying.”

“...But you’re still worried about something.” Brunhilde replied, eyes flickering her way to notice her glum expression.

“I… y-yes. There has been something on my mind, but I wasn’t sure… Um, do you remember what happened two years ago? The day those men stole the property deed to the church?”

“Yes, it was a rather memorable experience. What of it?”

“Well… Actually, that night I happened to wake up, and I noticed that Micah wasn’t in my bed like usual.”

“Oh? How strange.”

“Mhm. Micah’s left the bed before to use the toilet during the night, and she was back in bed again when I woke up later, but something felt… very strange about it.” She brought her hands together, twiddling her thumbs as she stared into her lap. “I don’t really understand it myself, but… with what happened that night and her disappearing… Maybe I’m just thinking too much.”

“...” Brunhilde closed her eyes, leaving the two in a tense silence. However, it wasn’t long before she opened her mouth to respond. “Maybe, maybe not. But if such a thing has been plaguing your heart for so long, then perhaps you ought to put it at ease, and ask her yourself one day. The child understands more than you think, Bernadetta.”

“M-Maybe you’re right… Micah’s always been a bright girl. She learned so many more words than other children her age before she even turned two.”

“Ah, hey-!”

“Yaaayy~!!! TOTAL VICTORY FOR MICAHHHH~!!!”

As Henrietta stumbled back from the shock of having the scarf pulled out of her grip, Josefine let out a bellowing cheer and threw herself to the side in her seat on one of the chapel benches, falling on her backside and splaying her limbs out in all directions in the process.

Meanwhile, having reclaimed her precious possession, Micah shot a small glare at Henrietta, then stuck her tongue out brattily. “Pbbt~!” After blowing a raspberry, she quickly pattered off to Bernadetta’s side.

“You-! Get back here, right now! Micah!!!” Henrietta’s shouts went ignored as the girl quickly squirmed into her usual spot on the woman’s lap, and after Bernadetta’s arms instinctively went around her waist to pull her close, the blond nun could tell that any hope of salvaging the situation had vanished completely.

With the realization that she’d well and truly lost, she let out an exhausted sigh and collapsed onto the nearest seat while massaging her temple and muttering to herself. “Haa, that girl… Why does she always have to be so difficult at times like these? She insists on washing it herself when she’s bathing, but it’d be much easier to just let me wash it with the rest of the laundry. Geez...”

Micah’s innocent green eyes stared up at her mother with a big smile as she got comfy in her lap, and Bernadetta couldn’t help returning the expression despite her troubled heart.

Is there… something Micah’s not telling me? That’s the feeling I get when I watch her. It’s not that I mean to mistrust her, but something about her feels so… fake sometimes. I really don’t understand it myself…

In the midst of her thoughts, she barely caught the small, understanding smile from Brunhilde. It helped to remind her of the woman’s words, and she began to feel a little better.

‘...If such a thing has been plaguing your heart for so long, then perhaps you ought to put it at ease, and ask her yourself one day. The child understands more than you think, Bernadetta.’

I’m thankful for Madam Brunhilde’s advice… but there’s no need to rush things. I’m sure that if Micah has something to say, she’ll eventually say it when she feels she’s ready. My only job as her mother is to help her grow and prosper as best as she can. If I’m able to do that, well… I suppose I won’t ever need to know what she’s really thinking.

The conclusion she arrived at helped her worries to clear up, and soon her smile became that much more genuine as she gazed upon the child that had become hers and hers alone.

-----

Two more years had passed since that incident with the conmen, and Micah was now four years old. Ever since the two Circe acolytes Altheon and Barnabel had attempted to evict the nuns from the church in an elaborate scheme centered around stealing the property deed, life for her new family proceeded as normal.

Josefine was now sixteen years old, and in addition to her growing height but lack of any notable bodily development (much to her pride for the former and dismay for the latter), she’d begun taking her volunteer work at the library more seriously, training with the intent to eventually take over the position as Halloway’s librarian.

Henrietta hadn’t changed much at all. She was still domineering, snappy, but wholly reliable and protective over everyone in the church. As Micah grew older, she’d been cracking down on her more and more, allowing her to get away with less and resulting in arguments like the one they’d just had. The only ones Micah had been able to win lately were those that concerned the removal of her scarf—anything else and there wouldn’t even be a chance for her to protest before Henrietta had her way. Still, she couldn’t deny that the nun was the core of their family. She handled most of every chore in the church, from cooking, to legal matters (at least those that didn’t require the owner’s involvement), to maintenance, to finances, and she even seemed to have minor medical knowledge.

She’d heard Bernadetta once mention that Henrietta originally planned to work in the mayor’s office as a secretary, but after Bernadetta’s family fell on hard times, she reluctantly abandoned her goal and instead decided to support her closest friend by living with her in the church. Bernadetta still feels guilty about it to this day, and honestly even Micah felt a little bad for Henrietta once she learned about it, but it was the undeniable truth that her skillset was an invaluable asset for their life at the church.

But if one were to talk about the heart and soul of their family, Bernadetta undoubtedly took that spot with ease. Her kind, caring nature hadn’t waned even the slightest bit, and she never failed to show endless support for the others if they ever felt sad or upset. It was thanks to her that their spirits never fell when things got worse, and that their smiles brightened even more when things got better. Even though she was still rather clumsy and simple-minded, it was in times like those that Micah was always reminded of how awesome it was to have been adopted by someone like Bernadetta.

And then there was Brunhilde. Ever since the night the old nun had revealed that she’d known that Micah was more than just a child, their relationship had changed for the better. No longer were there any suspicious stares or awkward silences between them. Now they could have conversations—real conversations about things she could never talk about with the others. With Brunhilde, Micah could let her guard down somewhat and remember what it was like to be Sawatari Mikasa instead of the persona she’d had to put on since her rebirth. It was honestly her favorite way to spend her time in this new world.

Brunhilde was her favorite of the nuns. Without a doubt.

That was why she’d made the decision to tell her about who she used to be—about Earth and Japan and school and her former identity as Mikasa, about her friends and family, and about her most important person, Yuu.

And it wasn’t just Micah who shared her story, Brunhilde also talked at length about her past, her friendship with Bernadetta’s grandfather, his confession to her and their eventual relationship (which unfortunately didn’t last long), the establishment of the church and the Kindness of Nor by Bernadetta’s great-grandfather, and many other things.

Of course, Micah made sure to omit everything related to her death, God, and her goals in this world, and she was sure that Brunhilde was similarly withholding certain details herself, but it was enough that their conversations could become more relaxed and natural. She genuinely felt as if she’d made a friend and confidante in the woman.

It was thanks to this relationship that Micah was able to inform her of the events of that night two years ago, in order to ask her about something that had been bothering her ever since. Specifically, something the woman who acted as an accomplice to the brothers Altheon and Barnabel in their plot to steal the deed, Miriam, said:

“Hope you two enjoy the taste of hell! That’s what you get for messing with a demon!”

A demon… there were demons in this world too? It sounded so unbelievable, but Micah had already learned to accept lots of strange details about Magi rather quickly, and so set her focus on finding out just what these “demons” were. The reason was simple:

If Miriam had mistaken her, a two-year-old child, for one with the abilities she displayed that night, then just how terrifying were they? Were there demons as young as her that could do what she did, or maybe even more? If it was true, then she needed to seriously re-examine just how strong she would need to be in order to survive in this world.

Unfortunately Brunhilde didn’t have much to say beyond what she was able to find in the books at the church. “You were mistaken for a demon? I suppose I can’t blame them for thinking so, considering demons are known for their incredible strength and horrendous brutality. Hearing threats along the lines of the ones you gave from the mouth of such a young child would make anyone think they were facing a true monster. Regrettably, the only information I can give you about them is likely things you’ve already read.”

Her response made Micah’s expression sour at the time. If she couldn’t find any detailed information on demons at the church, then the only options left were to check in the library, or leave Halloway entirely to find another source of information. However, the latter was obviously out of the question as long as she remained truly uninformed about what was out there. If push came to shove and she was killed, there was at least a chance she would be able to meet God again, but she didn’t want to take that chance unless there really was no option for survival left.

After all, it was also possible that clues about a way to return to Earth and check on Yuu—or perhaps even her brother himself—existed in this world. And as long as that possibility existed, she couldn’t simply cast this life away so easily.

Okay, so the next time Josefine heads out to the library, I should ask if I can come with her. Then once we get there, I’ll see if I can discreetly look for books on demons and-

*Knock knock knock*

The sudden sound of knocking broke her out of her thoughts and brought everyone’s attention to the front door of the church.

“Hm? A visitor?” Henrietta raised an eyebrow, as if the idea was so unbelievable.

“I’ll get it!” Josefine hopped up from her seat and trotted towards the front door to open it. The moment she did, she greeted the person on the other side with a wide smile. “Hello~! Welcome to the Church of Nor! Would you like to offer a prayer or… eh?” However, her words trailed off as she finally laid eyes on just who’d appeared on their doorstep.

The man gave her a gentle smile, stretching a few of the wrinkles on his face. “It’s been a long time, Josefine. My, how you’ve grown!”

“Pa… pa... Papa…?” Josefine stumbled back a step, her eyes wide as saucers as they gazed upon the form of the man in front of her. A few moments passed before her mind finally caught up to her, and she immediately leaped forward to throw herself into his arms while shouting, “Papa! Papa! It’s really you! You guys, Papa’s here!”

“Eh? It’s…” As the other nuns stood from their seats to see what was going on, Henrietta’s eyes also widened once she laid eyes on him. “Mr. Stronoff!”

“Henrietta. How have you been?”

The man’s smile didn’t fade as he stroked the top of Josefine’s head while greeting the blonde nun, who in turn walked up to him with a small smile on her face. “You…” she muttered, her voice cracking slightly as her head dipped down to mask her eyes with her bangs. Her steps were heavy as they made their way towards him. “Seriously, you…”

“Hahaha, there’s no need to cry. I’ve missed you to-”

“DUMBAAAAAAASS!!!!!!”

*BAM!*

“Habuu?!”

What no one was expecting was for her to throw a perfectly-executed corkscrew punch against his cheek the moment she reached him, sending him spiraling through the air to land at the bottom of the church steps in a heap.

With one hand on her hip and the other fist that she’d hit him with raised in front of her, she stared down with a vindictive expression. “What the hell do you think you’re doing, showing up out of the blue with such a carefree smile on your face?! Do you know how much sleep we’ve lost wondering if you were okay?! If you’re alive, then hire a messenger or something! It’s been almost FIVE years you know!”

From his position on the ground, the man gingerly massaged the side of his face, his smile now warped into a more awkward one. “A-Ahaha… I just… wanted to surprise you~”

“‘Surprise’?!” she gawked derisively. “I oughta kill you myself for-”

“Fa… ther…?” Bernadetta emerged from the church while speaking in a hesitant voice. She gazed down the stairs at the man wiping away the blood trailing from the corner of his mouth, who smiled back up at her.

“It’s been a while, Bernadetta.”

Meanwhile, Micah remained inside next to Brunhilde, having watched the entire display with a look of complete and utter confusion.

Uhhhh…

With a delayed response, she suddenly tilted her head to the side, smiling cluelessly as question marks floated above her head.

Who dat???

-----

With the group having moved inside, Henrietta set about preparing lunch for everyone to eat while they spoke. Once it was ready and they gathered at the dining table, Micah was able to learn just what was going on through the explanation the nuns practically begged him to give.

Mr. Stronoff is the biological father of Bernadetta, and the adoptive father of Josefine after she lost her parents (that technically made Josefine her aunt, but she somehow guessed that the teen would prefer to be seen as an older sister instead). While Micah had been assuming that he’d died or disappeared with how the nuns spoke of him, it turned out that he had merely left a year before she arrived to join an expedition to Demon Country, a plot of land located in the center of Magi that the four nations surrounded to complete the Circle.

The expedition was organized by the government of Norith, the northern nation in Magi, who asked for assistance from various other nations to help them establish contact with the demons in the hopes of finding out why they’d been attacking cities and towns all over the world in recent years.

It also turned out that as the leading religion of the world, the Disciples of Circe had been offered the position of providing holy support first, but apparently declined the offer. Mr. Stronoff, who represented the Kindness of Nor, was then chosen as a second option, and he accepted with the hopes that being apart of such an important mission would bring more popularity to the Kindness of Nor.

However, having considered the possibility that he may not come back from the mission, he decided to revoke his ownership of the church and pass it on to Bernadetta. Though she argued for him to stay as she didn’t want him to be in danger, she eventually relented on the condition that he promise to come back to accept ownership of the church again one day.

But that was just over five years ago. There’d been rumors of the expedition’s failure and the disappearance of the members, but where the rest of the world seemed to give up on any hope of seeing them again, the nuns continued to look after the church while awaiting Mr. Stronoff’s return with hope in their hearts.

Most of this information was gleaned through Brunhilde’s careful steering of the conversation, which Micah was grateful for. It helped her understand just why everyone was so relieved and happy to see him. Seeing her new family so excited over something, she couldn’t help the smile that spread across her own face, as if she too had missed the man as dearly as they had.

“Ah, yes. Micah, was it?” Mr. Stronoff suddenly changed the subject from whatever the group had been chatting about as he faced the girl in question. “Uwahhh, she looks just like Josefine—the same hair and eyes. What a beautiful girl she is.”

“Ehehe~” Josefine beamed from the neighboring seat, obviously taking the comments as direct compliments to herself.

Deciding to play the part of the naive child, Micah opted to answer in a way that implied that she hadn’t been able to keep up with the conversation at all, and tilted her head in confusion. “Are you… Mama’s Dada?”

“Mhm. I’m your Grandpa. It’s nice to meet you, Micah.”

“Grampy?”

Everyone at the table shared an amused chuckle, with Henrietta and Bernadetta stifling theirs with their hands, Brunhilde and Mr. Stronoff laughing softly, and Josefine bursting into a fit of giggles while gripping her stomach.

After a few moments, Mr. Stronoff was the one to respond with a gracious nod. “Yes, you can call me Grampy if you like. I hope we can get along from now on.”

“Mm. Nice to meet you, Grampy. Please treat me well.” she responded with a slight bow, immediately flinching as she regretted doing so.

Ack, w-was that too polite? Old habits, I guess… I’ve talked so much with Brunhilde lately that I sometimes forget that I'm supposed to be just a child.

“Oh-ho, such a polite young lady,” Mr. Stronoff didn’t seem off-put by the greeting, and instead looked amused as he returned the bow. Suddenly, his expression softened as he turned to face his daughter. “Isn’t that great, Bernadetta? You finally have a child to call your own. Congratulations.”

In response to his heartfelt felicitations, Bernadetta smiled sweetly. “Thank you, Father.”

Eh…? “Finally have a child to call your own”... What’s that supposed to mean?

-----

The rest of the day proceeded as normal, with the family spending the entire afternoon talking, playing games, and catching each other up on recent events. The nuns listened intently to his stories of traveling to Regalia to join the expedition, and the subsequent journey to Demon Country, and in turn he was happy to hear that the nuns were doing well here in Halloway in his absence.

“Ah! Get this, Papa!” Josefine said, leaning forward from her very unladylike position on the floor with her hands between her criss-crossed legs. “We started getting donations again! It’s only been a little bit over the past couple of weeks, but the amount has been increasing more and more lately! Isn’t that great?”

“Is that so? I’m happy for you all. You must have worked hard to make such a wonderful impression on the townspeople.”

In the midst of their lively talking, Bernadetta had made many offers to return the church ownership back to her father, but he refused every time, saying that she’d been doing a good enough job on her own that there was no need to go through the trouble. He also explained that the Regalian military had him incarcerated as soon as they got word that he’d survived. In addition to interrogating him for a full report on what happened, he was subjected to a lengthy screening process to determine whether or not he’d allied himself with the demons—a process that included forced citizenship in Regalia for a period of four years, with no outside contact.

“What!” Henrietta shouted at the news. “I know those arrogant old crocks in the Norith council like to enforce their will on others, but that’s just ridiculous!”

Bernadetta offered a sympathetic smile. “Well, it is what it is. We can’t do anything about it. I’m just glad that it’s all over now.”

As they continued to bask in joyful laughter and nostalgic memories, Micah took the opportunity to sneak away from the group. Catching her eye, Brunhilde too made her way over and sat down, beckoning her to do the same.

Only once she had did the old woman speak. “You had something to ask me?”

“Uh-huh. It’s about-”

“About what Bernadetta’s father told her before, I know. I assumed you would have questions.” The old woman let out a sigh and leaned back in her seat, taking a deep breath to prepare herself. “Very well. It’s a story that I doubt she would ever speak of again, let alone tell you. It’s… not something I imagine she wants to remember.”

Micah nodded slightly, silently urging her to continue.

Nodding in return, she closed her eyes and spoke. “Many years passed, during a period when she was besotten the same as any young woman her age, that girl decided that she would bear the child of the man she loved. However, they soon discovered the unfortunate news that she was infertile, and after many tries, her lover eventually became frustrated at the idea that he would never gaze upon the face of his offspring and left her for another woman. The experience wounded her heart and left her greatly depressed, as she too despaired over the idea of never having a child to call her own. It was only through the support of her father and the rest of us, as well as her commitment to the church, that she could find the strength to move on.”

Brunhilde faced her, a serious look to her expression. “So as you can imagine, finding you on our doorstep that night obviously meant a lot more to her than simply taking in a child who’d been abandoned. For her, it was the chance to obtain the one thing this world would not grant her, as if she’d been blessed by Nor Herself.”

“...” When Micah didn’t immediately respond, the two fell into a still silence. All she could do was nod her head in acceptance while staring at Bernadetta as she laughed at a silly joke Josefine told along with Henrietta and her father. Seeing her innocent smile as she enjoyed her time with the people she loved, Micah couldn’t help but see her mother in a new light. She could feel herself believe that the woman was more than just the fake book character she’d been seeing everyone in Magi as thus far. For just the briefest of moments, Micah felt that Bernadetta Stronoff, the nun raised in the Circle of Magi’s western nation Westra in the town of Halloway under the faith of a religion called the Kindness of Nor, was “real”.

-----

The afternoon eventually gave way to the evening as the sun began to dip below the horizon, bathing the church in an orange hue. Henrietta set about preparing dinner, oddly excited to test her cooking skills by making extra portions for their new arrival.

“An anonymous individual, you say?” Mr. Stronoff gave the blond nun an inquisitive look as she finished distributing the plates and settled down with her own portion.

“Uh-huh. I spoke with my co-workers at the tavern about it, and they all heard the same story. You must have seen the wanted posters all over the place on your way here, right? The town guard are still looking for the guy responsible for that attack on the Disciples of Circe monastery.”

“I see. And has there been any progress?”

“None at all. The description the witnesses gave was vague and no one else was around, so there wasn’t much to go off of in the first place. But no one had ever heard of a person in Halloway so skilled with a blade that he could defeat two nobles trained in fencing at the same time without taking a single hit, and kill a young woman in the process, then flee without anyone seeing him. It just sounds so unfathomable, like something only a Hero would be capable of.”

The man nodded in understanding. “But Heroes have little business in Halloway. Unless it was for some sort of mission, but in that case the mayor would have been notified of their arrival in advance. Strange…”

“Very strange. Whoever the culprit is, it’s like he’s a ghost or something. I mean, if he’s here somewhere, then where does he live? What does he eat?” The irony of her questions made Micah sweat slightly as she munched on a piece of bread.

In your house, eating the food you just prepared for me. In fact, I’m sitting right across from you! And I’m also a 4-year-old girl with a mental age of 21!

“I know you’re, like, super into that stuff Miss Henrietta,” Josefine said while resting her cheek on her hand and lazily twirling her spoon over the surface of her porridge. “But seriously, what’s the point of talking about something that happened so long ago? Let’s talk about fun stuff instead!”

“Don’t play with your food, Josefine.”

“AAAHM. FHUN SHTUFF, I SHAID.”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full, either.”

“Muu~” Josefine pouted, cheeks full of porridge puffing up even more as she glared bitterly at Henrietta, but she eventually relented and continued eating in silence.

“...K-Kuhum. So, uh, to continue the conversation,” Mr. Stronoff said awkwardly. His eyes flickered about the table. “None of you know anything about this mysterious individual? Whereabouts, identity, physical description, nothing at all?”

“Unfortunately, not,” answered Bernadetta, as she wistfully poked at her cooked chicken breast with her fork. “I wish we could find a way to thank them somehow. If it wasn’t for them returning the property deed, we wouldn’t even still be living here. I hope they at least know that we’re very grateful to them for what they did, even after all of this time.”

T-Trust me, they know better than you think...

She happened to meet Brunhilde’s eyes in that moment, and the two shared a concealed, but knowing smile.

-----

Dinner concluded rather quickly, and from there the evening chores needed to be done. Tidying up the table, cleaning, bath, laundry (Another battle ensued. Micah won.), prayer, study time, and finally it was time to get ready for bed. As per usual, Micah waited until she could hear Bernadetta’s light snores before she carefully slipped out of the covers and out of bed.

Her goal tonight was the same as any other—experiment with [God’s Blessing].

[Otherworldly Scarf]
[A scarf brought over from another world. Grants the wearer unique powers.]

[Ability - God’s Blessing Lv. 3]
[An Ability imbued into the scarf by [God]. The scarf grows through experience and the more it is used. After a set amount of experience is gained, this ability will level up.]
[Leveling up will increase its potential and capabilities.]
[Every ten levels, the wearer can select a new Ability.]

{Default Abilities}
[The wearer’s physical capabilities, reflexes, and senses are enhanced. These traits will increase further as [God’s Blessing] levels up.]
[The scarf acts as a translator, allowing the wearer to understand foreign languages, both verbally and visually.]

{Added Abilities}
[The scarf can be manipulated according to the wearer’s will. Its potential length, as well as its offensive and defensive power, will increase as [God’s Blessing] levels up.]
[Unlocked at Lv. 10]
[Unlocked at Lv. 20]
[Unlocked at Lv. 30]
[Unlocked at Lv. 40]
[Unlocked at Lv. 50]

In the two years since her battle against Altheon, Barnabel, and Miriam, [God’s Blessing] had leveled up to Lv. 3. With the vague idea in mind that it grows through experience and continual use, Micah had made a routine out of sneaking off behind the church every night to go and practice using the scarf in order to discover more of what its capabilities were and level it up further at the same time, but the process had thus far been extremely slow. Still she kept at it, inwardly wishing at times that she could use real magic instead of the not-quite-as-impressive cheat ability she’d been given.

She carefully opened the bedroom door and slinked out into the dark chapel, once eerie and mystifying to her, but now a more than common sight. Making sure to not make the same mistake as before, she stealthily peeked around the chapel to ensure that no one was present before creeping towards the back door. It was locked, as it was all of the other times, but that was easily remedied thanks to her scarf.

The area behind the church was rather spacious, with a large furnace and a copse of trees across from the door being the only noteworthy things in sight. The dim moonlight provided ample light for her to see, and it wasn’t long before she got into her usual rhythm for training.

First, she ran her mana through the scarf, activating [God’s Blessing]. Though her mana was still pathetically low, she’d gotten better at understanding how long she could maintain the enhanced physical state the Ability granted her. Just over five minutes of continuous use seemed to be the point where she would start to suffer from fatigue (it seemed as though the adrenaline from the life-or-death situation she was in two years ago prevented her from noticing her fatigue until later), but she found that she could last as long as 15-20 minutes if she pushed herself. However this would usually result in her suffering from the extremely painful backlash of Mana Depletion, in addition to a much longer resting period afterwards.

Which is why she’d limited her training to ten minutes per day, unless special circumstances prevented her from being able to practice on any particular night. Now, it was time to get started.

Using the ends of her scarf like a pair of hands, she carefully maneuvered them around the area while interacting with the various items she’d gathered early on to practice with. They pushed rocks, swung and tossed around loose sticks, and she even tried lifting herself up using the scarf ends as hooks on branches.

There was also her own physical training. Being stuck in a child’s body for so long made Micah extremely restless as she could feel her inner athlete longing to exercise and move around again. So she also used this time to do things like pushups, situps, and laps around the area to strengthen her body, among other exercises. Increasing her stamina seemed to help somewhat mitigate the amount of time she could maintain [God’s Blessing] before she began to feel tired, so she made sure to keep at it.

It was perhaps because she was so focused that she failed to notice the presence of a person before they spoke. “Um…”

Micah’s blood turned to ice in response to the sudden voice. She whipped around to see none other than Mr. Stronoff watching from the doorway with an awkward look on his face.

“G-Grampy?! W-Wha, what’re you-”

“Apologies, Micah. I, er, heard you leave and secretly followed you.”

W-What? Nowaynowaynoway, no way, NO WAY!!! Come on! I’ve been so careful all this time! How could he have found me out on the FIRST NIGHT?!

Unless… Did he suspect me from the beginning? No, that’s ridiculous, there’s no way he could have known about me when we’ve never even met. So a coincidence then? It feels a bit too convenient… There’s also the fact that [God’s Blessing] should have enhanced my senses, including my sense of hearing. So how did he manage to sneak up on me without me hearing it? Was it some sort of fluke? Again, I don’t like chalking things up to convenience...

“I-It’s alright. I’m not going to tell anyone if that’s what you’re worried about.” He smiled placatingly and waved his arms around in response to her accusatory expression. After glancing around nervously for a moment, he let out a small sigh. “The truth is… I was told to keep an eye on you by the demon I’d formed a contract with while I was in Demon Country.”

“Huh? Did you say… you formed a contract with a demon?!”

What the hell do you mean, contract?! So we’re dealing with Christianity now?! Just what ARE demons anyway?!

“Yes, I did… I know it was wrong of me, but I had no choice. You see, the expedition was intended to only last a year at most, but the group I was apart of ran into trouble almost as soon as we set foot into Demon Country...”

Even though we arrived peacefully and made it clear that we only had diplomatic intentions, the demons saw fit to capture us, strip us of our equipment and supplies, and bring us before the Demon King. Still, an audience with him was what we originally planned to ask for, so we humbly inquired about why they were performing raids and attacks on our settlements.

“Y-Your Grace… On behalf of the citizens of Magi, we have arrived only with placatory nonviolence in our hearts. As your associates that relinquished us of our amenities may be aware, we arrived bearing no weapons. Only tools and supplies for our own survival during our journey here.”

“Yes, yes. We truly mean you and your people no harm at all. We are simply here to negotiate, so that we may find a peaceful resolution to the issues our respective nations face.”

“...”

However, the Demon King did not answer our question directly, and instead ordered us to return them the previous Demon King, who he believed to be in our custody. Unfortunately, the previous Demon King vanished over sixteen years ago, and because none of us knew their current whereabouts, a deal could not be brokered.

“Tch. Lying scum, all of you! Get these worthless fools out of my sight!”

But he did not accept that and instead became enraged. Believing us to be lying, he ordered for all of our deaths, and for our bodies to be sent back to Regalia as a message.

“No! No, please!”

“You-, you monsters! We never should’ve trusted you!”

“Damn it! I’ll kill you all!!!”

“I-I urge you to reconsider, Your Gra-gllhk!!”

“Shut your trap and move it. All o’ ya!”

We were forcibly taken into a separate room by a demon and systematically executed one by one. Those who attempted to escape were simply slain faster than the others. I was the last in line. As I begged for my life before my executioner, the demon considered me for a moment, then suddenly stayed his hand and instead offered me a deal.

“Please…! Please…! Nor, help me… Please, no…”

“Hmph. Pitiful. A man faces his death, yet does not even possess the strength to confront it with his head held high. Instead you grovel, like dirt beneath my heel. Is that how I should finish you then? Squashed like the bug you present yourself to be?”

“No! Save me, Nor… Save meee…”

“My, how unsightly; how utterly reprehensible you are. What would your human kin think to see you in such a state? ...You wish to live, you say?”

“Please… Pleeeease… I don’t want to die… Someone please, save me…”

“Very well then, human. I would like to offer you a deal, a… contract, of sorts. Accept my conditions, and you will leave Demon Country with your life this day.”

“Eh…?”

“Listen well, human. The conditions are as follows.”

He told me that he would allow me to live and return to my family if I agreed to become his contracted servant. By forming contracts, a demon gains a significant increase in power as well as the ability to command and control their servant through telepathic communication. In exchange, the servant also gains incredible power, but must obey the demon’s orders whenever they’re issued.

I wanted to see my family again, and it was clear that I would be killed like the others if I refused, so I had no choice but to accept. With the forming of the contract, I became eternally bound to him, which allowed him to fake my death and sneak me out of Demon Country among the bodies of my comrades.

Mr. Stronoff’s face was full of guilt as he concluded his story. “I spent the next four years living in Regalia under the order of the Norith council, nervous that they would discover that I had become a contracted servant. Contracted servants are rare, but dangerous, and are usually imprisoned for life or simply killed on the spot once they are discovered. I was incredibly lucky that I wasn’t found out before my forced citizenship was concluded.”

“And the first thing you did when you got out was come here.” He nodded sheepishly at Micah’s guess. “But why are you telling me this? You also said you wouldn’t expose me to the others, so what do you want?”

“I-I’m not really sure myself,” he answered. “I was just told to tell you the story.”

“Told? You mean by the demon?” Micah found herself leaning forward slightly with interest as she realized the potential solution to her questions was right before her. “Is he communicating with you right now? D-Do you think I could ask him some questions-... Wha, what’s wrong?”

Mr. Stronoff’s face had gone deathly pale, his eyes widening with terror. “What…? No, you… you can’t… You can’t make me… Why…”

“...?”

Unbeknownst to Micah, the demon that Mr. Stronoff had formed a contract with had just issued him a simple, chilling order.

‘Kill her.’

“I begged you to not to harm my family, so why-”

‘You begged me not to harm your daughter and her friends. You said nothing of a granddaughter. She shares not your blood nor the same relations to you as the other humans. Thus, she is not your family.’

“Th-That’s-!”

“...” Micah watched cautiously as the man began to anguish over seemingly nothing, sometimes sneaking terrified glances over to her.

Based on his body language, she more or less had an idea of what was happening.

But even so, she didn’t consider running away just yet. If she was about to be attacked like she was suspecting, then she was curious to know just how much power a human gained after becoming a contracted servant. If it was a significant increase, then it opened the door of possibly becoming one herself, provided she could find a demon that would allow her enough freedom to complete her goals.

Still, it seemed unlikely if her first impressions of demons were anything to go by. She decided to put a pin in the idea for now.

If things got dangerous though, she was confident in her ability to escape. Her movements with [God’s Blessing] activated were extremely quick thanks to her smaller body, and her reflexes were better than most normal humans. And that was when she was at Lv. 1.

She was Lv. 3 now, and her potential had increased since last time. With all of that taken into consideration, she was sure she could run away in the worst case scenario.

“I-I’m sorry… Micah…” Mr. Stronoff’s anguishing came to an end as his body seized up. If what she’d just learned and her suspicions were true, then the order that the demon had given him was taking effect, and his body would theoretically carry it out against his will. “I can’t… I have to…”

Micah lowered her body slightly, getting into a ready stance as her scarf ends fluttered around her side like a pair of snakes. “I’m not afraid of you. I’m stronger than I look. Come and kill me, if you can.”

“Nngh…” Mr. Stronoff suddenly lurched forward, his head hanging low. A few tense moments of silence passed before a small explosion shook the area. Actually, it was the sound of him kicking off the ground and rocketing forward in a burst of speed far faster than Micah could track.

The next thing she knew, there was an agonizing impact against her stomach. The power behind the blow from Mr. Stronoff’s knee forced a spray of spittle from her lips, along with a strained gurgle that caught in her throat as it tightened in response to the sudden pain. Her eyes had widened considerably, and yet her vision swam as blobs of light bounced around her trembling view.

She was quite literally seeing stars. With barely any time to register that she’d just been struck faster and harder than she’d ever experienced before, Mr. Stronoff continued his assault by grabbing her by the hair and yanking her up before she could collapse, followed by a brutal onslaught of punches to her face ending with an uppercut to her chin that brought her airborne, and then a powerful front kick to her chest as she came back down.

The force sent her careening across the length of the area behind the church to smash into the closest tree. She could feel her spine strain against the thick bark, threatening to snap but somehow holding in the face of the excruciating pain that enveloped her entire body as she slumped against the tree’s base. In the momentary relief from the ruthless barrage of attacks, her mind finally had a chance to catch up to her body.

And she realized what a fool she was.

He wasn’t just stronger than her—he completely outmatched her. He was out of her league. By forming a contract with a demon, a meek, unassuming father had become something that couldn’t even be called human. Were even the so-called Heroes of this world able to defeat something this incredible?

Gripping the bark in her shivering hand while cradling her stomach with the other, she eased herself back onto her feet. Though it was obvious that there was no chance she could ever hope to win a fight like this, there was still a chance she could escape if she played her cards right. But if she wanted to do that, she couldn’t stay on the defensive the whole time.

Outrunning him is definitely not an option… It’s a long shot, but if I can make it back inside the church, there’s a chance that the demon will revoke the order to kill me in order to keep Mr. Stronoff’s cover. I’m not sure why it is that he let Mr. Stronoff live and return to his family, but I have to bet on the possibility that it’s an important enough reason for him to call off the attack if it risks exposing him. It’s my only chance…

She took a few deep breaths, sucking air into her aching lungs, before pushing herself off of the tree to rush at Mr. Stronoff preemptively. Her scarf ends shot out ahead of her, one aimed low and the other remaining close to her side. Being unaware of her full potential in combat with the scarf (thank goodness she hadn’t been doing battle training that night), Mr. Stronoff put up a defensive stance to prepare for her counterattack, exactly as she hoped he would.

At the last moment before the first end reached him, Micah leaped into the air, using the second end as a foothold to give herself a leg up into a somersault over his head, reeling both ends in as she landed behind him and sprinted for the back door of the church with all she had.

“Stop, Micah!” A painfully hard yank on one scarf end cut off her air circulation for a moment, forcing her head back as she reached both hands up to her neck on instinct. Her heart pounded rapidly at the impending dread of what she was about to do, but her hands were on autopilot as they quickly worked to undo the scarf from around her-

“Micah, he says,” Mr. Stronoff’s voice started again. “He says that he’ll reveal your secret to Bernadetta and the others if you escape.”

Ah, shit…! I didn’t consider that at all! Fuck, fuck, fuck this is bad!!!

In her panic, she managed to rip the scarf end out of his grip and hop back, but he was already in front of her by the time she landed. She barely weaved out of the way of his punch as it drilled a hole into the wall of the church, and slipped around him to jump back towards the trees for cover.

However, he latched onto her foot as she took off, bringing her down in a hard slam against the ground that forced a pained grunt out of her. He raised her up again and repeated the motion several more times before pulling her in to collide against his other fist, sending her hurtling through the air again to the same tree as before, this time crunching against it hard enough to put a sizeable crack against the bark.

“Gaallghkk…!!” Having bashed it horizontally this time, her side thumped pitifully against the soil in front of the tree as she hit the ground. A spurt of blood shot out of her mouth moments later, in addition to the blood already streaming down her damaged nose from having her face slammed repeatedly into the ground, as well as the various wounds on her body from Mr. Stronoff’s previous attacks.

Can’t beat him, can’t run away… What the hell am I supposed to do…!

She could barely even move at this point, let alone formulate another plan. But if she didn’t do something soon, she was going to-

...Die? I’m gonna-... Am I… gonna die…?

She hiccuped, gasping for air with burning lungs as Mr. Stronoff’s approaching footsteps grew closer and closer. Her body twitched and spasmed on the ground, no longer responding properly to her commands to stand up, and a foreboding heaviness gripped her heart at the realization that this truly was where she would die.

W-Well… at least if I die now… There’s a chance… I can meet God again… And then I can… see Yuu...

With the realization that she could no longer worry about her goals in Magi even if she wanted to, she felt an odd sense of relief at having the choice of whether to stay or not be made for her, and thus decided to accept her fate. However, as she closed her eyes and relaxed her body as much as possible in preparation to be killed, a plethora of images began to play through her mind.

And who are you, Little One?

WHAT is that?

If Miss Bernadetta really wants to, then I think we can make it work somehow. What’s one more orphan in this lonely old place, right?

Did you hear that? You’re all mine now, babe. I’ll keep you safe and make sure you grow up as best as you possibly can. No, even better. I promise from the bottom of my heart, nothing’s gonna stop you.

Micah~ Micah~ Micah~ So cute~ So cute~

N-No one’s around, right…? *glance* *glance* ...Chu~ ...Th-That’s for being good and eating your vegetables today, a-and for not crying during the night. Don’t tell ANYONE about this or I’ll sure as hell give you a reason to cry, got it?!

Look, babe! This is your nun outfit. I bought it for cheap at the market. Isn’t it just the cutest thing? It’s a little big for you right now, but you’ll grow right into it in a few years. And then the two of us can match~!

I was talking to you actually.

Fufu~, see? Micah and I make the best team.

Welcome home, Micah~

I’m nobody, girl. Just an old woman who’s seen more than her fair share of strangeness over the years.

Isn’t that great?! Everything’s gonna be alright now!

Even if they’ll never come to know the truth about you, I want you to know that we’re all grateful.

Micah~ How about you play with Mama today? ...E-Eh?! Why not?!

Hey, your scarf isn’t wrapped properly Micah. Geez… fine, just c’mere and let me do it. If you won’t let me wash it, then I’ll at least keep it from getting any dirtier by sagging all over the floor wherever you go.

Sorry, but I’m on Team Micah for life~ I’m gathering as many Big Sister points as I can now so she’ll say I’m her favorite later~!

All of my close friends have already passed away. These girls are kind to take care of me, but none have the time to listen to the ramblings of an old woman. Thank you, Micah. I don’t even know how old you really are, but talking to you has made me feel like I still have a real friend left in this world.

Micah!

Micah~

Micah.

I love you, Micah.

Her memories with the people that had become her new family after she awoke in this new world were flashing nonstop, like a kaleidoscope playing out in her head. Even though she’d convinced herself that they weren’t real—that they belonged to a world that was no different than a book, and thus were no different than endearing book characters—it became apparent to her that at some point, a crack had formed in her heart—the heart that was supposed to truly belong to one person and one person only.

And a group of four nuns had managed to slip their way inside without her notice.

No… No… I don’t wanna die… I don’t wanna… leave them… Not like this...

Micah squirmed in place, clutching desperately at anything in an attempt to put strength into her body. Tears built in her eyes, clouding her vision, and her teeth clenched as she did her best to fight her fading consciousness.

Bernadetta… Mom will cry again… And Josefine’s radiant smile will disappear… Henrietta would probably try to act tough, but she’ll be sad too… And Brunhilde will have lost another close friend, and be all alone again...

“I’m sorry… Micah.” Mr. Stronoff was now before her, bearing a sharp stick he’d procured and raising it above his head in preparation to finish her off, all the while muttering apologies. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry…”

No… Damn it… No…!

*Whoosh!*

The stick came down with enough force to split the air around it, and Micah shut her eyes tightly.

However, a sharp voice cut stopped him in his tracks. “That’s enough!”

Eh…?

“Huh?”

Turning, the both of them laid eyes on the form of Brunhilde, standing with her hands clasped behind her back in front of the church’s back door. Her expression was stern, angry even, as she gazed upon the scene of their battle. “I am beyond disappointed. I can’t believe the kind man I helped birth from infancy would do something so cowardly as to offer his soul to a demon in exchange for his life.”

“N-No, that’s not-” Mr. Stronoff’s gaze fell shamefully. “I only… I only did it so that I could see my family again, and so that Bernadetta would not have to bear the pain of losing yet another parent-”

“Liar!” she bellowed. “If you really cared about your daughter, you would never have brought the presence of a demon into our home and allowed it to kill her precious child.”

“Th-That’s not… I-I don’t- I can’t sto-, I- Gllghk?!” In the midst of his stammering, one of Micah’s scarf ends forcefully wrapped around his throat from behind, strangling him with all the strength it could muster. Still, he ripped it away with ease and whipped around to deliver a powerful kick to her stomach, followed by a series of vicious stomps to her head.

“Stop!” Brunhilde shouted as she took a step forward with her arms out in front of her, noting how Micah had gone inert after the fourth stomp. “You say you’re no longer in control of yourself, but have you really tried?! Think about the people that would weep for the death of this girl, how many hearts you would shatter, how much pain you would cause! Fight it!”

“I can’t! How many times do you think I’ve tried?!” he cried, gripping his head as he turned back to her once again. “It’s impossible! The contract is stronger than any mortal influence! It takes hold of not just your mind, but your very soul itself, and bends it to the demon’s will! I don’t have the power to resist it-”

*Spl’urch!*

“Eh… Wha…” The sudden sound of steel biting into flesh made him pause, even more so as a strange sensation overcame his body. Looking down, he could see a red splotch of blood staining his shirt from beneath, steadily growing in size. “Huh…?”

He turned his head to look over his shoulder, eyes widening at the sight of a large kitchen knife embedded in his back, right where his heart was. And gripping the hilt of said knife was none other than one of Micah’s scarf ends. When he met the eyes of the girl he’d just been brutalizing—the girl who clearly had not possessed a knife of that size just a few moments ago—it was to see a weak smirk on her bruised and swollen face. Really, it seemed to be all she was capable of from her position on the ground.

‘Oh-ho.’

The demon commanding Mr. Stronoff had been watching the entire battle with interest through the man’s eyes, and let out an amused noise at the sudden turn of events.

‘I see. The old woman was the one who brought the knife. They must have communicated somehow beneath my notice, and the strangulation was used as a diversion in order to retrieve it.’

He saw the truth play out in his mind: Brunhilde arriving with her hands behind her back, a silent signal to Micah with their eyes, the sudden attack from one of her scarf ends, and the retrieval of the knife with the other as Mr. Stronoff was busy attacking her.

‘Yes, quite a clever tactic indeed for having been concocted without a single word uttered between them, and with such brevity too. I suppose all that was left at that point then was to create a moment of opportunity to strike.’

A moment that was obviously Brunhilde’s attempts to induce Mr. Stronoff to resist his control. In the end it wasn’t a sentimental attempt to get him to stop what he was doing, but merely a distraction to take his focus off of the girl so she could utilize her newly-acquired weapon.

‘Absolutely brilliant…’

A grin slowly formed on his face at the realization that he’d been fooled in such a manner by both a child and an old woman.

“Kaaghk-!!” Mr. Stronoff coughed out a stream of blood and gripped his chest, his knees weakening as he slowly slumped to the ground. He writhed around for a few moments, struggling against his fast approaching death, before going still.

Both Brunhilde and Micah remained silent for a long while after his death, waiting for any signs of deceit. Eventually Brunhilde decided that they were in the clear and made her way over to help Micah up from the ground. As her gaze briefly passed over Mr. Stronoff’s body, she looked at him with nothing but pity in her eyes. “May Nor smile upon your soul, for you deserve no kindness from us for having forsaken it to such evil.” she whispered.

She bent down to support Micah, and began to carefully walk her back towards the church. “You’re lucky my room is just on the other side of the wall. If not for that impact, I would not have noticed anything until it was too late.”

“Th… Thanks…”

The rest of the walk continued in silence. As Brunhilde opened the door for the both of them to step inside, they heard a sudden voice that made their blood run cold.

Where do you think you’re going?

It was Mr. Stronoff’s voice, most certainly, but there was something explicitly different about it. They both turned around to see the body of a man that should have been dead, standing upright and seeming completely healed of his injuries despite the knife still sticking out of his back. The most chilling thing about the sight were his eyes though, which had somehow become an endless black void save for red slits staring at them with such power and intensity that it completely rooted them in place, unable to even move a muscle.

Worry not. Had I seriously wanted the both of you dead, you would have died long ago. Instead, I will allow you—the child specifically—to live.” The demon speaking through Mr. Stronoff brought his tongue out to wet his lips unnervingly slowly. “Yessss… The child is much more capable than I originally perceived. To think that such potential lies in someone so young, and a human at that…

“W-W-Wh-Wha…” Micah stammered, her gaze unfocused as she struggled to move her heavy tongue inside of her dry mouth. “What… do you… w-want from me…?”

To put it in simple terms, power,” he answered. “The kind of power that can only be acquired through amassing a sizeable army of contracted servants. And of course, the more powerful the individual, the more powerful the servant they become after the contract is formed.

Micah shivered at the demon’s implications. Did he intend to turn her into a contracted servant? She was just considering it not too long ago, so why did the idea frighten her so much now?

Perhaps it was because she’d gotten to see firsthand the effects of being under a demon’s control. Mr. Stronoff seemed to be suffering from a great deal of pain in his attempts to resist the commands he was issued. Not to mention the psychological strain of being forced to hurt your loved ones...

If the price of gaining power was to become the tool of beings like this one, to be used to hurt the people she cared about, then Micah didn’t need it. She was confident enough in her own ability to gain strength. She would never let herself stoop so low.

But… if it was for Yuu’s sake, then… m-maybe...

You’ve witnessed yourself how powerful I can make even an average, unremarkable human. Imagine how strong someone like you would become if given the proper time to develop—how much you could accomplish with the kind of power that rivals even the strongest demons in existence, or perhaps even the Demon King himself.

With a simple flick of his wrist, Mr. Stronoff’s body began to disappear, fading away like an illusion. “And so, I will withdraw, for now. However, I promise you child, I will without a doubt appear before you again to test your strength in the future. And when that fortuitous day does indeed arrive…

He suddenly grinned as the last vestiges of his form vanished into nothingness, his voice lingering to deliver his final threat. “You should not expect this level of mercy a second time.

And just like that he was gone, having departed so suddenly that it was as if his arrival was nothing more than a dream for the nuns who’d all been waiting so long for this day to come. The wonderful day they’d spent together, reliving old memories and forging new ones, laughing, smiling, it had all gone as quickly as it came.

That was Micah's first and only confrontation with Mr. Stronoff as a child. Their next encounter would not happen for quite some time.

-----

“EHHH?!?!?! MICAHHHH~!” As soon as the nuns entered the room where Micah was being kept, Josefine gasped, flung herself over to the girl’s bedside, and wrapped her arms around her shoulders, sobbing dramatically. “OHMYGOSH your face! What happened to your adorable face?! Ahhhh, but it’s still really cute even with all of those bruises~”

“Babe…?” Bernadetta asked tenderly. Her voice was hoarse, and her eyes were red and puffy. Henrietta’s handkerchief was clutched in both hands, and the blonde nun herself supported her childhood friend’s unsteady movements as they too appeared at her bedside next to Josefine. Brunhilde went and found the same chair she’d used the previous night when Micah first arrived.

“Hi, Mama.” Micah did her best to show her that everything was fine through her smile, but she really did hurt all over from her injuries. Not only had she been punched numerous times in the face, she’d also been struck in the chest and stomach, and even had her head stomped on repeatedly, all from a man with supernaturally augmented strength.

Being admitted to and having to spend the night at the local clinic was nothing; she was lucky to still be alive after having endured all of that.

“I’ve already spoken to the doctor,” said Brunhilde, her eyes passing over the contents of a novel she’d brought with her. “Her injuries were severe, but easily treated. Nothing life threatening. She’ll recover in six weeks’ rest—two months to be safe.”

“Two months… What in the world happened last night?” Henrietta’s brows were furrowed with worry, shocked that Micah was in such a state over the course of a single night.

“A robber,” the old woman explained smoothly. “broke into the church from the back door. Poor child was caught returning from the restroom. To keep her silent, he saw fit to attack her. Fortunately, she managed to flee outside, where she was rescued by… an anonymous individual.”

“Anonymous…” Henrietta’s brows shot up. “You don’t mean-!”

“Yes, the very same. It seems we have a guardian angel watching over us,” Brunhilde smiled slightly as she closed her eyes. “The robber was chased off and I was woken up by knocking on my window just in time to see their fleeting steps. When I went outside to investigate, I found the girl there, half-dead. I saw no point in sending you all into a fit of needless panic over this, so I brought her here in silence and waited until this morning to relay the news.”

“Aww…” Josefine pouted as she gently stroked Micah’s bandaged cheek. “I can’t tell if we’re cursed or blessed at this point. But I’m glad you’re alright, Micah~”

“Ehehe, thanks Big Sis~”

“...N-No, see, that’s not fair. If you tempt me with cute smiles I’m gonna hug you really tight. And if I hug you really tight I might kill you in the state you’re in.” Her fingers found a gap in the bandages, pinching and tugging slightly at the undamaged skin. “You want me to become a murderer, Micah? Huh? That what you want?”

“Wahhii~ Nuh-uh, nuh-uh~!” Micah fell into a mess of giggles in response to Josefine’s horseplay.

“H-Hey, is now really the time to be messing around…?” Henrietta asked.

“W-What about my father…?” Bernadetta stepped forward to ask Brunhilde with a worried expression. “I tried to find him in his room before we left, but he wasn’t there.”

“Poor man couldn’t catch a break,” the old woman answered coolly. “I briefly encountered him early this morning as he was preparing to leave. A messenger arrived from Regalia to summon him for more interrogations about the expedition. It seems new evidence was uncovered, and they want the opinion of one who’s encountered demons and lived to tell the tale. Unfortunately, it isn’t clear when these interrogations will end, so we shouldn’t expect him back any time soon.”

“I-I see…” Her gaze fell at the news. “I wish I could have had the chance to at least say goodbye, but I’m relieved to know he’s alright. It was so… so nice to see him again after so long… *sniffle*”

“Hey…” Henrietta rubbed her friend’s back tenderly. “See? Everyone’s alright, so there’s no reason to worry.”

“I was so afraid… When I heard something happened to Micah, I thought… I thought…”

“C-Come on, don’t cry. I’m sure Micah feels bad enough about it as it is. But even so...” Her sharp gaze flickered to the child. “No more going out at night by yourself. Wake Bernadetta up if you have to use the bathroom from now on. Got it?”

“B-But-”

“No buts,” she hissed. “You could’ve died last night. Do you understand that? Died. Gone forever without even so much as a goodbye from any of us. Do you think that’s fair to the people who spent so much time and effort raising you? To the woman who picked you up from a box on our doorstep and treated you like her own? DON’T let anything like this happen again, or so help me, I-” she paused. “...If you die, I’m gonna have to be the one who stops your mom from trying to join you. And the last thing I, or any of us want, is to see what that’s like.”

“...” Guilt was evident on Micah’s face from Henrietta’s scolding, and her head dipped low to stare at her sheets. Still, she nodded silently.

“P-Please don’t talk to her like that…” Bernadetta managed to keep herself from breaking down, and shakily gripped onto Henrietta’s forearm with both hands. “She’s only four…”

“On the contrary, it was more than deserved,” said Brunhilde as she eyed Micah knowingly. “As I said before, the child understands more than you think. And I believe that she’s properly learned her lesson now, yes?”

“Y-Yeah. I’m really sorry, everyone…”

“I-It’s okay!” Josefine quickly stammered. “Everyone makes mistakes! And this was hardly your fault—it was just a little bad luck! But just remember that if you’re gone, I’m gonna be the youngest again. THEREFORE you must absolutely positively never leave us. Okay?”

“O... Okay.”

The nuns seemed placated with that, and the atmosphere became somewhat more relaxed with the revelation that she wasn’t in any serious danger. Micah smiled sheepishly, somehow ashamed of having caused her new family such trouble, and found her gaze meeting Brunhilde’s once more.

She was more than grateful for the old woman’s help, and for once again lying on her behalf. If she hadn’t shown up when she did, the demon really would have had Mr. Stronoff kill her there and then, and this reunion—though bittersweet due to her injured state—could have taken place in a funeral home instead. Not to mention that her quest to find Yuu in this world would have come to a very abrupt end before it even truly began.

And so, she made sure to convey everything she was feeling in one huge, appreciative smile. The old woman shook her head once, then returned her attention to the book in her hands as if the interaction hadn’t even taken place. Micah could tell that she was trying to say that it was more for Bernadetta’s sake than for hers, but she was still thankful for her help nonetheless.

Steadily, the nuns fell into their usual bickering as Josefine decided to brighten the mood by throwing an impromptu party, and even Bernadetta seemed to calm down once the teenager returned with drinks and decorations she quickly burned her allowance on at the market.

Whilst they told jokes and chatted about how much fun they’d had the other day, Micah was lost in her own thoughts about what transpired the previous night. About how impossibly strong Mr. Stronoff had become just from receiving what only felt like a fraction of a demon’s power. It was scary, terrifying even, how close she’d come to death that time.

Forget about God; if she couldn’t even handle monsters like that, how could she possibly hope to see Yuu again? Thinking about it like that, she felt that this experience was rather valuable for her in the end despite how it turned out. It taught her a truth she was glad to know sooner rather than later.

She needed to get stronger. Much stronger than she originally thought.

Fifty? A hundred? Maybe a thousand? [God’s Blessing] needed to reach its absolute limits if she had any hope of destroying anything that tried to get in the way of her goals.

And considering the stream of messages she’d received in her head after she woke up, she felt as if she might have been off to a good start.

[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 4]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 5]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 6]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 7]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 8]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 9]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 10]
[[God’s Blessing] has reached Lv. 10. A new [Free Slot] has been unlocked.]
[[God’s Blessing] has leveled up! It is now Lv. 11]

16