Chapter 4
10.4k 31 222
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'This is the first.' Thought Baron Fharom upon seeing his fidgeting son, Naell who looked troubled.

''Father, I've been thinking. I do not really have the talents for martial arts, so I don't think the recommendation that I was given is really valid, hence I've declined as I told you the other day."

It was true. Even Baron Fharom believed his son's martial arts were mediocre at best.

'Even so, we're nobles. He could still pursue his studies in the capital to succeed me. Or at least that was the plan.'

Fharom recalled the conversation he had with Naell. To him, it wasn't a bad idea to be a commoner again. He had saved some money from previously being an adventurer, not to mention he also thought of building a shop near their estate. He thought of how it was a good way to stay where they were and do business with the new Baron that would be assigned there.

'I can sell Lilia's paintings while I use my aura to identify weapons. Only Lily was sad to leave this place, even going as far as to train. She is really cute.' Fharom was so preoccupied with his thoughts that he got surprised by the following words his son had to say.

.

.

.

"Therefore Father, with your permission, I would like to take the entrance exam of magic in the capital."

Fharom saw his son smiling with confidence, and that the fidgeting boy he saw earlier now looked more like a proper mage.

"Ha---ve you awakened?" Fharom couldn't hide the shock in his voice when he asked his son.

"Not quite, but I was feeling the tingling sensation of magic in the air, Father."

Naell recalled the information he got on how mages first feel the essence of magic.

The book, Arts and Magic introduced how the people in that world determined if they were mages or martial artists.

MARTIAL ARTISTS awakening happens when one has attained the ability to feel one's life force, leading them to materialize it into their weapons; this force is known as their AURA. On the other hand, MAGES will feel a tingling sensation as early as the age of four; this being called MANA.

There are special cases, such as martial artists that use their aura to tame animals or monsters called TAMERS or mages who use transmutation magic; being called ALCHEMISTS and some others.

But basically, martial artists can awaken by training and understanding the energy of living things. They get the aura from their surroundings, strengthening it and making that aura their own. That was the reason why a martial artist needs to train their body and mind, so it may be a suitable vessel that holds the aura, that in return will make them stronger.

Mages, on the other hand, use mana that comes from the spirit. All beings have the spirit to form their mana core, but not everyone can unlock the sensation to feel it. That was why mages are rarer than arts. Mages would also borrow the flow of mana from the spirit of the universe to replenish their mana.

"To think you are just on the verge of awakening even if you are past that age."

"I'm a late bloomer I guess, or it might have been the bruises I took that made me feel the sensation, ha...hA...HA."

"HA...Ha...ha" Both of their laughter was dry and awkward.

Naell and his dad talked more about other stuff such as the misunderstanding of Naell wanting to revoke their nobility. Naell did sweat a little as he nodded, jokingly that it wasn't his intention at all. After some time, he decided to head to his room and initiate his plan.

'I need to do it now.' Naell was waiting for someone to knock on his door. If that person catches on, then it would be the start of Naell's road to becoming a mage.

When he heard from Baron Fharom how Naell was on the verge of awakening his magic, he excitedly ran towards Naell's room where the young master told his father he'd head to.

 

*knock*

 

"Young master?" Sebastian really couldn't contain himself as he knocked and waited for Naell to respond.

He was so emotional, he couldn't stop shaking.

He, all that time felt guilty when his student, Alicia Beryldot, the deceased wife of Baron Fharom, mother of Naell, died protecting the nobles in that summit.

It was supposed to be Sebastian who had died in that summit, but Alicia, before he could even cast that magic himself, cast the spell before him. At that time, she was saying something that he didn't hear.

He would often remember how Alicia in her last moment still smiled cheekily as she exhausted all her mana before she laid breathless.

A part of him knew he could not have performed that sort of spell, and perhaps Alicia knew it too. He thought that was why she cast it herself. He was often troubled with what Alicia's last words were since he couldn't understand at that time.

Not until Fharom had approached him and told him it was not his fault. There he realized what Alicia was trying to tell him.

 

"Take care of my family, Sensei."

 

*******

 

"Come in Elder.'

Sebastian was partly surprised to hear that Naell was expecting him. As he opened the door, he was greeted by a smile, reminiscent of his old student, Alicia when she was up to her cheeky mischief.

After closing the door, Sebastian was once again shocked upon seeing that the mana revolving around Naell, was still the same. He breathed in, to calm his nerves and spoke as calmly as possible. His voice had traces of doubts and hints of disappointment.

"Young master..."

.

.

.

Upon seeing Sebastian's reaction, Naell became somewhat hesitant to continue what he had to say.

'After all, he is my mother's teacher.'

"Elder Sebastian."

"..."

"You heard from my father?"

"Yes..." Somehow, Sebastian was brought back to reality.

After taking a deep breath, Naell decided to tell him the truth.

"Actually... I lied to my father when I said, I could sense the flow of mana in the air."

Silence filled the room after Naell's confession. He actually did say a lie to his father. But it was actually a white lie simply because Naell knew how to awaken one's magic.

Around Volume 2 of The book, Arts and Magic during the travel of the protagonist, Andrew to the capital. He, together with his main heroine, Viola Lumiheal, and his best friend, the half-elf string user Rizaul Kekoy, infiltrated a bandit hideout.

Different kinds of races were introduced in that book. Such as the demi-humans, beast, elves, dwarves, dragon race, monster race, and even evil ones such as demons. Rizaul was a half-human, half-elf that excelled in agility while specializing in his string aura.

Andrew's group fought a black mage that was actually part of the terrorist organization that was planning on bombing the capital. They managed to defeat the bandits and kill the black mage, but at the expense of Andrew being inflicted with dark magic. Viola, as a mage, wanted to heal Andrew but because her elemental magic is light, she was afraid since light and dark contradict each other.

Luckily for them, the kingdom was actually monitoring the situation and managed to save Andrew on the brink of death. One of the few S-rank adventurers, also known as [Lightningale, the Anti-Witch] Sarah W. Star was there. She made a gamble and determined that Andrew was actually capable of using light magic but because he could not unlock it, he was not able to. So they wagered and tried to input some light magic in him, triggering his mana core and vaporizing the darkness within his body.

After that, Andrew became the first human martial artist who could coat his aura with light magic, making him a true holy knight. Of course, there were special cases like the mighty dragon race that could use both mana and aura.

What Naell learned in that chapter was how it was actually possible to manually awaken someone, but to do so, one has to have the lineage of a mage. That was why he was sure that with the help of Sebastian, he could awaken his potential.

Going back, Sebastian could only answer with sadness in his voice,

"I... know."

After that, neither Sebastian nor Naell was talking anymore. He felt suffocated since the elder didn't speak, but was just standing in a daze. He felt the atmosphere grow heavy.

'Why do I feel like I'm going to die here?' Naell thought, while still smiling. His face became so stiff after the long silence, that he could no longer change it.

On the other hand, Sebastian remembered a similar scenario. Every time his student, Alicia would do something incredibly crazy yet magnificent, she would smile like Naell in a very cheeky way.

This lifted the heavy atmosphere since Sebastian laughed like an old man, and considering his last name is Claus, it funnily made sense at that moment.

"Hohoho" Hearing Sebastian's laughter made Naell feel weird. He thought about Santa's possible first murder. But he managed to say what he needed.

"Elder, help me awaken."

 

*******

 

Somehow, Naell managed to persuade Sebastian to lend him a hand. Since it was already late, they decided to do it the next day.

Sebastian was still skeptical of the conversation they had. Considering magic was studied thoroughly by every kingdom, he knew awakening one's magic was a rare natural manifestation at the tender age of 4.

 

*knock*

 

"Master Fharom.''

Baron Fharom let out an awkward smile when he saw elder Sebastian enter his room.

"As always Elder, please just call me by my name."

"Hohoho" Sebastian had just laughed it off while he sat facing Fharom.

The relationship between Sebastian and Fharom could be considered as an uncle looking out for his nephew, considering Sebastian treated Alicia as his own daughter.

"So how is my son?"

"We've talked about some matters that he wanted to be kept only between us."

Sebastian recalled the conversation he had with Naell.

"Will you help me awaken, Elder?"

"If I will be of use, then I will gladly help you, Young master.

''Thank you Sensei."

"Hmmm, but how?"

"Believe in me Sensei."

"Hohoho"

"Young master, since it is getting late, let's continue tomorrow."

"Ah of course. But I hope you will keep these matters only between us."

"As you wish, Hohoho."

"I see... Ever since he got beaten, he changed for the better." Baron Fharom couldn't really hide his gladness upon seeing the changes happening towards his son.

Back then, he was really afraid that his son would be caught in a mess that he himself initiated.

That was why when he heard about what happened, Baron Fharom felt immensely heartbroken and depressed. Luckily, the event was a blessing in disguise.

"Do not worry Fharom, I will guide him as a mage."

Upon hearing his name without honorifics, Baron Fharom felt glad and thankful that he had Elder Sebastian, to guide his son. He then stood up and bowed down.

"Thank you, Uncle."

222