Chapter 14
8k 47 196
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'What could it be?' Naell did not panic, as he knew solemn mana like that could not be dangerous. He also had faith in the soldiers who were patrolling their borders.

'If it is not welcome, it wouldn't be here, and besides...' Naell reassured himself with a "fufufu" while covering his mouth with his left hand. It was a sight to behold, but luckily, none were able to see it.

'...It probably just flew over our estate.'

By the time they were finished with their dinner, Fharom, Lilia, and Lily had decided to head towards their rooms. Each of them left after saying their goodnights to each other.

On the other hand, Sebastian told Naell that he wished to have a short discussion with him, in his room.

As Naell entered, he felt his body slowly approaching the solace of his bed. The room's warm lights and the night's cold glow didn't fail to soothe his mind. Yet, his senses didn't wander for long, as he heard a loud HOO---T, followed by the voice of an old lady.

"Hoot, Sebastian, is he the boy?"

Sebastian replied as he closed the door behind him.

"He is, Milady."

Upon hearing the exchange, Naell saw a small figure fluttering its wings as it looked directly toward them; its heart-shaped face covered by her white feathers seemed so mystical underneath her silver gaze.

'An owl?'

"Hello, Little one."

In the face of an elderly figure, Naell placed his right hand on his chest and bowed down to show his etiquette as he gently said,

"Good evening, Madam."

"Hoot, as always, no need for formalities Sebastian, and little one, just call me Auntie." Upon hearing that, Sebastian turned to Naell and gestured for him to take a seat.

The two watched as the owl steadied herself onto the table before them. The night's serene glow peeked through Naell's bedroom window, further adding to the owl's mystical feel.

Sebastian was the one who initiated the conversation. His calm and friendly demeanor did not change as he introduced them to each other.

"Naell, this is Athena, a Legendary beast, and one of the 12 Guardians of old hailed as Wisdom..."

"...Athena, this is Naell, son of Baron Fharom, and the deceased Baroness Alicia--- furthermore, the stepson of Baroness Lilia."

Looking closely, Naell found Athena's appearance to be very majestic and at the same time, fluffy. Her white feathers were occasionally covered by tiny black spots at her chest, while the rest glimmered with it being bright white. Her large forward-facing eyes were dyed with silver-like crystals matching her black hawk-like beak.

Naell recalled the book he read in the library pertaining to the 12 Guardians;

 

The [12 Guardians of Old] were tasked by the Celestials to protect the world from Lucile [Celestial of Destruction] who commanded the demons to reign havoc and destruction from the very world they created. Hence, their main purpose is to prevent it from happening. Upon inheriting the guardian position, that being must not intervene with politics, war, and other worldly events.

 

'If only I had finished reading Arts and Magic. I kinda suspected death flags from the other guardians.' Naell wasn't able to finish the book, Arts and Magic. He remembered reading until passing out in Volume 4.

'...If I remember correctly, Volume 5's cover was Andrew at war with the Demons.'

"Once again, good evening Auntie."

"Hoot, Likewise, Little one."

"So what brings yo---" Before Naell could even finish his words, Athena started speaking calmly, but with a somewhat apologetic tone.

"First, I'm sorry for testing you a little while ago, Hoot."

"Hohoho"

"Ah, that was your mana?"

"Yes, and frankly I was surprised. You are talented, just like Alicia."

"Thank you..." Naell once again slightly bowed his head in response.

"And as to why I am here." As Athena said that, she plucked one of her feathers using her beak, and soon, it rose into the air. In an instant, a shining beam of darkness began to emit from the feather, vanishing as quickly as it first appeared.

 

        

 

Then he appeared--- a chubby little owl who pridefully stood with his wing on his feathered chest.

"Mom! This human looks so weak, HOOT." His seemingly cute appearance was erased by his arrogant beak.

.

.

.

Athena sighed as she replied,

"Hoot, Do not say that. You are being rude."

"But he is really weak!"

The foul-mouthed owl was like a miniature version of Athena, only this time, it held no black spots; a pure white coat of feathers and piercing golden eyes were still apparent in his overweight figure.

Without warning, Athena's fluffy feathers made a steel-like sound upon hitting the young owl's head.

Naell's temper rose a bit as the younger owl kept asserting phrases like,

"Look he's anemic!"

"It is good to see you little owl." In an attempt to diffuse the situation, Sebastian warmly greeted the young owl who warmly greeted him back.

"Ah, Good to see you as well, Uncle, HOOT."

The young owl's speech was still rough, but Naell could feel the respect he had for Sebastian. On the other hand,

"Oiii Human, what's your name?"

"...I'm Naell Witner Beryldot, What about yo---"

"HOOT, Naell? Fufufufu."

"HA...Ha..ha" Naell could only laugh dryly at the young owl's seemingly belittling snicker.

Yet, the little owl was still the one who had the audacity to ask arrogantly,

"What is so funny? Is being weak funny, HOOT?"

"..."

As she caught herself losing her composure, Athena quickly stood tall. An expression of annoyance still lingered on her face as she sighed.

"Hoot, We have been sidetracked enough by my son. AnyHoot little one, I was informed of your enrollment to the capital."

"Ah yes, Auntie, I'll be traveling next week."

"If it is possible, I would love for you and my son to stick together for the time being."

"WHAT!?" Both Naell and the young owl could not hide their disapproval.

Naell did not want a foul-mouthed companion, and the young owl would not accept a wimp.

"Hohoho, it will be a good experience for you little owl, and for Naell as well."

"Hoot, especially for you my son, you've been spoiled enough, so I'm sure you will grow in the time being."

"I understand Mom... But a weakling for a companion, HOOT."

"..."

Ignoring her son's remark, Athena turned to Naell and spoke,

"Listen, little one. I know of your struggles with relation to your mana. As of the moment, everything you do in excess will just hurt you."

She slightly glanced at Sebastian then Naell before continuing,

"Or worse, your death."

.

.

.

"Just a low chance of death, Hoot."

Athena continued, as to reassure the now paler looking Naell.

"That is why Sebastian went to meet with me a while ago."

Naell glanced at Sebastian. He wasn't informed when that happened.

"Naell, that was the time when you saved the village from the goblin invasion."

"Heh, so that's where you went, Sensei, Heh heh..." Naell replied with no hint of joy, as the possibility of his death, void the life out of him.

"Hoot, anyway that is one of the reasons why WE are here... WE can prevent that." As Athena said that, one feather of hers flew over to Naell.

"...It has something to do with our magic." She then added on and quickly, Naell felt that somewhat, a heavy burden inside his body had left him.

"Our darkness attribute can seal the excess mana your body cannot handle... But it can only last for a few hours, as your mana will burn our magic from your body, Hoot."

Athena then added on as she pointed her wing at the proud looking owl.

"So if it is alright with you, take my son to the Capital, so he can help you, and at the same time help him grow in the process."

Naell turned his gaze to his possible savior as he said,

"I understand then... Thank you, Auntie, thank you Sensei. Please take care of me, little owl."

"So this weakling needs me huh, HOOT."

Naell snapped seeing the arrogant owl who kept puffing out his chest as he smiled and retorted,

"It is amusing though, seeing you are yet to name yourself."

"WHA? I'm not a named beast yet, but I sure will be soon. How did a weakling like you know of my weakness! HOOT!" The young owl was taken aback by the surprise jab thrown at him.

"You can't even hide your mana that well--- Speaking of mana..." Naell pondered a bit, but soon realized that the young owl's mana was the same as what he had sensed in the Forestlands.

The young owl kept blabbering nonsense that was effectively making him mad at an alarming rate.

"HOOT! "

"Auntie, awhile ago, I actually sensed this DUM--- owl's mana back at the Forestland... Did you fly there?"

"Who.. are you calling dumb!!!?"

"Shushhh for a bit." Athena smacked the little owl's head once more.

The young owl then kept quiet while occasionally muttering words under his breath that instead of looking scary, his cuteness was amplified.

"Ah yes, we did... But there should have been no lingering mana, as we didn't land there."

Naell then pointed his finger towards the young owl, who kept a straight face while whistling. The young owl flinched as he remembered something.

"But I'm certain that was his mana."

Yet the facade was easily seen through by Athena, who pushed the young owl to speak.

"Well Mom, you know... I ate a lot during our travel, so I kinda... took a ?."

.

.

.

Sebastian, Naell and even Athena could only facepalm at the young owl, who then kept calling what happened as the "call of nature".

 

"It's different from the auras and mana that these monsters are omitting, Sensei. It was SOOTHING."

 

Naell felt pain and embarrassment as he recalled what he felt at that moment.

The conversation got nowhere as Athena continued lecturing his son about the proper way to act.

"You should have buried your feces! Hoot!"

"It was just a tiny bit Mom, so I thought it would be ok! HOOT!"

"I'm really sorry Sebastian if my son's excreme--- action caused some troubles." Athena could only apologize as she recalled what Sebastian told her a while ago; the Forestlands' monsters became more unruly than usual.

"Hohoho... It is fine Athena."

'No, it is not Sensei! He enraged the monsters WITH HIS POOP.' Naell could only think this to himself. Even so, he somewhat pitied the young owl who already had a bump forming on his head.

In the end, the young owl was scolded severely, and was forced to perform dogeza before them.

196