Chapter 30
7k 86 144
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"...Maintain your mana shield, have an exchange, and whoever hits the opponent's mana shield first, will win."

 

Viola's duel with her classmate and friend, Marcha Kale was intense even for the onlookers, as their mastery over the magic they wielded made everyone watch in awe.

Marcha Kale's water element was pressuring and graceful while Viola's light magic was fast yet explosive.

It had begun as an equal bout, as neither one could completely overwhelm the other.

There were times where Viola's light magic would overpower Marcha Kale's water magic, yet on other times, the light would also lose and be deflected by the water.

Then with a cheeky smile, Marcha's mana bursted and highly pressurized water began disintegrating all the light magic that Viola was sending.

All of them sensed the change in her mana's strength, especially Viola who acted on impulse and summoned walls of light that brought back their equal exchange.

Cheers and praises were shouted as neither of the ladies were backing down.

Viola then decided to move the walls of light towards her opponent, restricting Marcha Kale's movement.

Feeling she was getting trapped, Marcha then quickly levitated away while continuously sending her highly pressurized water onto the walls of light.

Yet immediately upon landing, the shattered walls of light near her, began flying towards her, completely catching her off-guard.

Seeing her opponent shocked, gave Viola ample time to cast another wall of light, that quickly moved towards her opponent.

Sensing her blunder, Marcha Kale then quickly conjured a wall of water in front of her, absorbing the fast yet weak blades of light.

The onlookers were amazed at the two for displaying such a high level of complexity towards their magic.

Most of them were already discussing the immediate exchange that happened, including those who shouldn't as they were in the middle of their lecture.

"Viola's idea of sending the remnants of her light walls towards Marcha was remarkable." Rizaul said while truly praising his friend, yet his face still showed no sign of amusement.

"Yeah, that was s i c k, but that Marcha wasn't too bad either. Her mastery over her skills and her reflexes are top-notch!" Note replied loudly, earning them both a scolding from their teacher and laughter from their class.

Going back, Marcha's conjured water wall began heating up, as spiraling blades of steam gracefully, penetrated all the walls defending Viola.

Yet before Marcha's swirling blades could even get close to her opponent, Viola's sudden light blade stabbed her opponent's mana shield from above.

"You tricked me, Viola!" Said Marcha as she could not help but be amazed at her friend's trick and skill.

"I got lucky since the sun was up." Viola's reply and smile were warm just like her magic.

Due to their adventures, Viola had garnered experience and battle prowess that made that mock battle a bit of child's play for her.

As they walked back, some of the students were applauding, that even their friend Noveam, couldn't help but ask,

"Where did that even come from Viola?"

Yet the one who answered was their Professor Mony.

"The last wall of light that Viola summoned was actually much thinner than before. When Marcha's steam was closing in with the water wall, Viola control it so that the broken needle-like shards of the wall would rise and be masked by the sun."

"Yeah, that was so thin that I barely noticed it--- even when it was practically showering above me!" Declared Marcha, still super energetic with adrenaline.

"Big sister Andrea taught you well, Viola. And well done with the new use of your steam, Marcha." Said Mony as she was very impressed with the two.

"Thank you, professor." Viola was then happy, as being compared to her mentor was something she always looked forward to.

The lovey-dovey couple had always been kind to her. That was why, just like them, she was also not fond of using her magic to harm others.

Nevertheless, if it was to protect her loved ones, then she knew she would use her magic for them.

Other students had already competed for their assessment that day, leaving Naell and his opponent, Lesjon Star next.

As they both gathered in the center, Naell's opinions changed because at that moment, he could not help but be intimidated by the man in front him; black hair as deep as the history of the so-called martial artists of the old, and red eyes that much resembled his own.

Not to mention, the intimidating fame of Stars, being known for their physique and capabilities in magic.

"Hello, cousin." Lesjon was the one who spoke first. His voice was calm yet his eyes were suffocating.

Little did Naell know, it was the same thing for the people he himself encountered.

"Hello, Young master." Naell's greeting was considered polite, as Lesjon was from a higher family than he was. Yet the onlookers (Andrew and the rest who knew the past him) still felt awkward, as they knew the old Naell never backed down with his overly-arrogant attitude.

Nonetheless, the courtesy between Naell and Lesjon went without a hitch. Both red eyes were shining, making some onlookers tremble in anticipation of the fight.

Mony above all was thrilled knowing both had the potential to far exceed the already rare breed of mages.

"You may start!" Upon Mony's eager words, Lesjon was the one who initiated. His bright red flame, without even forming any hand incantation started circling around him, making his red eyes more frightening than before.

Just the heat alone could make anyone shudder in fear, as the flame became brighter and faster. Soon one of the bright dense flames launched onto his opponent.

Naell with his wimpy fast reflexes managed to counter with a water wall, yet the flames that were circling Lesjon continued firing onto him, gobbling up his defense.

As it continued moving towards him, Naell really did want to end it by having his mana shield touch the flame. Yet when it came close, the heat was able to change his mind, as he quickly evaded and levitated away from the scorching heat.

Naell at first, thought he saw Lesjon smiling, yet before he could even confirm it, the flames were already chasing him once more.

The flames then began circling around Naell making it hard for him to breathe in. As it launched onto him, he immediately casted [ Fortress ] making the onlookers gasp in surprise.

Layers of snow gathered around Naell, his white mana shined as it hovered around his magical appearance that went above his often villainous face.

As the snow and flames collided against each other, Naell's snow and his use of complex magic was by far superior to the magic Lesjon had casted, enabling him to devour the flame bit by bit.

Yet before he could even celebrate, Naell felt the combustion of heat trying to expand from the snow covering him.

'I guess you don't remember.'

With a snap of Lesjon's finger, the flame that was devoured by the snow, started leaking out. The feeling it gave off was more menacing especially when they heard the young master of Star's incantation.

"Burst forth--- [ STARDUST ] ."

Mony, with a [ poof ] summoned her wand and started casting a large mana shield that covered the entirety of the dueling ground.

Students also activated their shields in fear of the might of Lesjon's magic. They all knew of STARDUST, as the former Duke of Star, was well-known for his star-like power, hence the name of its origin.

Naell also knew that STARDUST was not ordinary magic as well. Just like in the novel, that magic was introduced as something even the demons had once feared. Sarah Star often used it to turn the tide into her favor.

Fearing for his life, Naell's pure white mana grew blindingly bright, completely engulfing his body in light.

As he clenched his right fist, the erupting bombs of the so-called STARDUST were once again being devoured by snow as it circulated around the flames.

Opposed to Naell's icy mana, Lesjon's mana blared fiercely, as he was continuously supplying STARDUST in an attempt to free it from the snow.

Little by little, both of their magic were being formed into a circular structure, with the flames still trapped inside the snow, yet all of them could still feel how STARDUST, erupting in the FORTRESS.

Realizing he was reaching the limit of his control, Naell casted his wind magic, forcefully blasting the circular structure of snow up in the air, erupting STARDUST from a safe distance.

Still, the explosion brought forth shockwaves of flames that were seemingly ordered to attack Naell, and the same was the case for the snow that rained down on everyone in the field.

The shockwave forced Naell to be seated as it scared the life out of him. Still, he had an alibi, as the flames were not lethal--- or more like it would not hurt him a bit, he chose not to run as it hit his mana shield, happily giving Lesjon the win to their duel.

It could also be said that STARDUST was too powerful. Naell knew he needed more mana to deal with it, yet at the moment it was sealed by Owly as it was still too risky for him to use. That was why he knew it was time to forfeit the match.

As the flame settled in while the snow was still falling down, gaping mouths were now noticeable scattered across the field. Even Mony was perturbed a while ago, as that duel was far from what she had anticipated.

Yet most of them were shocked knowing that the young master of Beryldot, truly was a mystery not just to Mony, but even to Andrew and the rest, as they saw to some extent, Naell's newfound power.

Soon the silence turned into applause making Naell a bit dispirited as he thought,

'Huh... I almost died and you're all celebrating...'

Little did he know, as he was inept socially, those applauds stemmed from the bout they just had. The skills and magic prowess Naell and Lesjon showed was a sight to behold.

Even if Naell all those times looked cornered, the battle displayed both of them as capable mages.

As they were all waiting for the professor to proclaim Lesjon as the winner, the young master of Star stood in front of the sitting Naell. His red eyes were still hostile, similar to his words as he said,

"Next time, the match won't be a draw. Consider this as your punishment for disgracing the Star Family."

He then added on softly, seemingly sounding calmer,

"It is nice to meet you again Naell."

Upon speaking, the dark-haired young master then walked away, brushing off bits of snow from his shoulder in the process.

 

 

Chapter_30_5fps_FINAL.gif?width=916&height=645

144