Chapter 51
4.3k 15 115
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dear brother,

Thank you for the flower, it’s really pretty! Even grandpa was really happy about it.

"That’s my student, hohohO!", he said. It was the first time I saw him so boisterous! ( I heard mom say that hehe )

Thank you for the seeds. You were right when you said the birds would like it. Especially the little birdie I was telling you about, he ate quite a lot. ( they can't wait to see you and Owly )

Actually, all of us can’t wait for your return! Especially mom, it seems she’s already dreaming about the sweets that you will bring. ( Give me lots okay? )

I asked dad if we could visit you someday, even mom pitched in with the idea. Mom and dad haven’t fully decided, but it seems it just might be possible somehow! I’m ready to hear about all your travels when you're home!

Naell's smile was full of warmth. Even though it was the day where he once again needed to wake up earlier than usual, he was really happy.

Once again, Mr. Talus would be arriving at Taglagas which would mean another letter from his dear sister.

Upon washing his face, he then wore an oversized coat covering his pajamas, completely hiding his laziness to wear a change of clothes.

Owly saw him and sighed. He truly was the epitome of laziness. Yet since the owl was still half asleep, he did not bother voicing out his concern.

.

.

.

Upon seeing the busy streets of the business circle of Taglagas, Naell wasn't surprised. Yet he couldn't help but be amazed by the large number of people.

From carriages to peddlers, horses to people, and even merchants to mercenaries were all present at that.

Wagons were lined up with different arrays of things amounting to a large sum of necessities; products to be sold and bought, spices that were rare in small villages, and many more.

There were far more adventurers escorting them than before. Some had a look of experience in their eyes, others were young, not older than Naell, yet several were either distinguishably confident or inexperienced.

Nonetheless, anyone would be intimidated by their numbers alone. To actually try and rob them would be amounting to suicide.

Warriors to mages alike, laughed among themselves. They knew that the first half of their job was done and that of course, the little rest they had would soon be over.

Still, both adventurers and merchants alike admired the city they were in. From the majestic walls covering the whole city, structures that were oozing with wealth, security that easily made them feel safe; All of these and more made them feel a loss for words.

Between the villages, they’d often do business with and their hometown, both were far more simple than the magnificent city of Taglagas. All except Lamasep, a village known as the main trading post of its smaller neighboring villages.

Naell sure did notice all their astonishment, as he was the same. Yet because he had lived on Earth which was far grander than the rustic city, he was only subtly amazed.

Misunderstanding his gaze, Mr. Talus explained as he said,

"Due to winter nearing, those from the villages tend to stock more piles to prepare for the cold nights."

Naell smiled and was lazy enough to not clarify the misunderstanding. Therefore, Mr. Talus continued gazing upon the mercenaries they brought.

"Even bandits are more active until winter reaches its peak. They’re very helpful to us who are vulnerable to such thieves."

Mr. Talus then sighed looking at those who seemed to be glaring at the new members of the pack.

"Of course some would not prefer it this way, most old folks think smaller companies are safer. Plus hiring more adventurers does cost quite a bit."

Naell nodded, some could really argue that the larger the gatherings were, the higher the risk that they would attract bands of robbers.

Yet he knew if they truly wanted to travel with a much smaller party, their products too should decrease in number.

”They’re better off not bringing big carriages or buying many products for that matter.”

Mr. Talus laughed with Naell’s reply. In truth, that was the very problem they seemed to have encountered; most merchants chose to heavily stockpile products in hopes of high profit.

Yet with the demand’s increase, trouble too was inevitable. Thieves and bandits quickly grew rampant, raising the need for security. Thus, the merchants costs were begrudgingly split into two: a need to stockpile their products and the hiring of more adventurers.

In an attempt to lower costs, Mr. Talus and a few others chose to invite more merchants to split the price for the hired adventurers.

Of course, some did not like the idea, and so it took a while for all the merchants to agree. As a result, Talus was wrung dry from the persistent negotiation, and by then was already exhausted.

He could feel the fatigue once more as he recalled the past conversation. In an attempt to change the topic he then quickly asked Naell,

"I haven’t seen your friend in a while. Where is Owly?"

Naell smiled wryly and told him how Owly was unaccustomed to snow, a thought that both of them laughed at heartily just from the pure irony.

Yet that did not stop Naell from asking softly,

"How's Beryldot and the other nearby villages faring?"

Just from the content of the carriages alone, he knew what was up. Even with all the letters they exchanged, Naell could not help but want to be sure that his hometown and family were safe.

Mr. Talus was also surprised with his question. Most young nobles were ignorant of the conditions commoners had to go through in the midst of winter.

"Under your father's guidance, medicine isn't scarce… but I can't say the same with the other villages." His voice had hints of concern as well.

Under the harsh weather, sickness rose and yet medicine stocks plummeted due to several reasons.

One of which was the inevitable increase in demand, and the other being a lack of ingredients and manpower for such works.

After some time, as Mr. Talus handed out the letter Lily sent, Naell also handed a letter he politely asked to have delivered.

The merchant chuckled at the siblings’ consistency. They then talked some more before both decided to return to their own business.

By the time Naell had returned to his room, the young owl was already awake, waiting to read the letters and HOOTing impatiently, yet he was all too shy to admit it.

Nevertheless, Naell found it cute and often held himself from teasing Owly about it.

Travels? I did not know my brother was fond of traveling. Uncle Estra and Butler Lebrut told us you were quite relaxed, but we knew it's the right way to describe how lazy you're being.

"Soon all the kingdoms will know of your laziness, HOOT." Teasingly said Owly.

His words were quite laughable at that moment. Ever since winter had come, both of them became sluggish, often staying in bed.

Even now when Naell was reading the letter, Owly was cooped up in the layers of blankets he requested.

And I believe Owly is truly kind, truly! Not only that but he is very cute and fluffy as well. Please give him lots of food! (Healthy ones so he will grow big and strong!)

"My sister would be disappointed seeing you as lazy as me, Owly."

Naell did not even give the owl time to absorb the praises Lily had just given him. The bird then replied flustered from the truth.

"Shut up, I hate this kind of weather, HOOT…"

"Aren't your kind called snow owls or something?" said Naell cheekily.

He knew that Athena, Owly's mother, hailed from the northern continent, there in which winter has been the prominent season throughout the year.

Yet it seemed that Owly was weak to the cold. In response to Naell's teasing, the bird HOOTed in embarrassment and urged him to not continue.

No worries, dad says just like you, Mommy Alicia often lazed around, but that is because she is capable just like you. --- Mom and Grandpa nodded to this!

Naell felt warmth knowing they trusted him that much. Yet that did not last long as Owly snorted citing the past actions he took that were deemed to be irresponsible so to speak.

"You just had to ruin the moment, huh?"

Owly's face that poked beneath the sheets was grinning, making them both chuckle. It was no secret that under all their banter, friendship had formed between the two.

The young owl was genuinely concerned when Naell got unconscious.

It was also the first time he saw first-hand Naell risking his own life. Of course, there were times when they had saved others but never did the young master of Beryldot put himself up to that much risk.

All of us miss you both and we are doing fine. We had a festival and it was quite enjoyable only it would have been better if you're both here.

Brother come home soon with Owly and I'll show you the fruits of my training!

Please say hello to Owly for me, I am learning to bake so please look forward to it. :)

Your one and only sister,

Lily Beryldot

Naell could not help but smile, knowing his family was waiting for his return. Yet sometimes, a deep feeling of guilt would twirl around his heart.

'Is it really okay for me to continue your life?' Sometimes he wondered if what he was doing was okay.

Especially at times when he felt certain emotions were present. Surely he thought, that wasn't his own.

"What's for breakfast, HOOT?

The silence did not last long. Owly's stomach truly was a formidable distraction from both good and bad.

"Could we rest some---"

"Food, HOOT!"

"..."

"Food, HOOT!"

"Fine…"

115