Chapter 62
3k 11 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Treating me like a mere bandit--- you’ll regret crossing... Our paths..."

"..."

"It feels as if this dungeon isn’t a dungeon?--- well, I don't know, it's just well maintained."

"..."

"Be careful, if our intel is correct, the enemies we made are not as simple as we think."

"..."

After their conversation with Loknar, Andrew was slowly engulfed in his own thoughts; from what seemed to be a mere bandit's hideout, to Freide's words about the dungeon, and finally to Loknar's forewarning.

[ Hahaha! Look, Rizaul’s ears are red! ]

'Our? Did his dying words mean more than just bandits?'

[ It's because of your loud mouth. ]

'Freide did have a feeling it was too odd, does he mean it seemed more like a breeding ground?'

[ Andrew, is something wrong? ]

'I just wanted to enjoy my second life and yet…'

"Andrew?"

The second time Viola called his name, Andrew was brought back to his senses.

What he first witnessed were all their concerned faces towards him. As if to feign ignorance, he simply smiled and replied,

“I was just lost in my thoughts.”

All his friends smiled as they somehow knew what it was. The unshakable feeling that somewhere out there, a group with no regard for the deaths of thousands, lurked freely.

Just learning that they’re potentially being targeted, made it all the more terrifying.

Sensing the heavy atmosphere he created, Andrew then blurted out unintentionally,

"I will protect our peace."

They were surprised upon hearing him. Even Andrew himself felt embarrassed with his own words. Fortunately, it did lighten the mood as Note and Namiku were not able to contain themselves as they teased him.

"Ah~ Truly the words of the magic swordsman!"

"Oh brave warrior! Please save me from this world!" Namiku gestured dramatically like a damsel in distress and spoke with the most princess-like voice she could muster.

"..."

Note then immediately changed sides, laughing at the irony while he exclaimed,

“Namiku, the last princess that would ever need saving.”

Sensing the betrayal, she sulked in embarrassment, all the while pinching Note's cheeks. The scene had truly livened up the table as they all laughed.

“Just, try to relax for a bit Andrew, you’re far too tense today.” said Rizaul.

“He’s right you know, you should give yourself a breather and put your heroism on hold--- Ow!” Said the Note whose sullied cheeks were already hurting.

Further, upon ignoring Note’s complaint, Rinca and Namiku then added on,

"Besides, we’re also here to protect everyone."

Andrew looked at his friends and for a while contemplated.

Viola then put her hands on his and as their gaze met, she smiled. He could only chuckle in defeat and finally say,

“You’re right, sorry.”

That moment had reassured them, but what followed soon was embarrassment. They had briefly forgotten that Sarah Star was with them. She had also been smiling as she said to them with a smirk,

"How cute."

"..."

Currently, they are situated at a pub near the guild. It was Sarah Star who nagged at all of them to come.

Seeing no reason to reject it at that time, they unanimously agreed. Not to mention, all of them were actually troubled by the news they heard.

That was why they were all thankful, as instead of feeling troubled til the day ended, they all addressed their common concern and spoke of it while gathered together.

Going back, they admired the place they were currently at; a humble atmosphere reminiscent of a rustic tavern, clearly with every intention to cater to the common folk.

Their eyes wandered around the pub, from its walls to its decor, the ambiance didn’t even hint at luxury. Still, that pub was kempt and incredibly clean.

With that in mind their party was dumbfounded to know an esteemed Star would ever settle for that location, yet upon hearing the fair lady speak, they immediately withdrew their thoughts.

“So this is what this place looks like.” Sarah muttered cheerfully, a glimmer of enthusiasm showing in her eyes.

'Cute…' They thought; for possessing an air of immaturity and curiosity to the ways of the common folk, Sarah Star was adorable.

Yet when their mentor looked at them whimsically, they all knew that the word "cute" wouldn't give her justice. Her ability to fight like a warmonger immediately cut off the idea of adorableness in their mind.

Luckily, before she could even question them, the fragrance of smoke lingered in the air, drawing the group’s attention.

One of those staff had walked over to their table, pushing a tray of several plates of food. She bowed before their table and acknowledged the high-profile guests.

“We are humbled by your visit. Please enjoy the food.”

Finally, the dishes were laid out across their table, with Namiku, Rinca, and Sarah Star's eyes glistening from the food they weren't at all familiar with.

Skewered meat with various vegetables like bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms were grilled together.

Carbonated drinks made of lemons and blueberries as refreshments; and many more delicacies that nobles such as them weren't used to.

Filling their bellies and chatting happily among themselves, all of their thoughts discretely grew aligned. Truly moments like that were something they would miss, yet again their friendship would certainly last.

‘I have to protect them.’

‘I can’t afford to lose any of this.’

‘If harm tries to come their way, whoever they are, they will pay.’

*******

Further away, in an almost empty room, stood a large fluffy bed with numerous pillows. Upon it laid a man whose hair was as white as snow.

He was sleeping and cuddling what seemed to be a chubby bird. With its big fluffy feathery body and its soft hoots, its wing somehow slapped the man's head.

In return, the man pushed aside the lump's body, bouncing its ball-like flesh on the side of the bed.

A loud boing sound was produced by the two's unconscious actions, yet it woke neither of the heavy sleepers.

The sun was painted with an orange hue for dawn was to slowly arrive.

As it was time for dinner, the bird's natural alarm went off. He woke up and touched his belly seemingly thinking he had lost some weight.

"I better eat then, HOOT." He said while clawing the human out of dreamland.

The human immediately woke up and proceeded to coldly glare at the bird.

His vexed gaze at that moment was paired with the notion of wanting some fried chicken, yet that thought was erased in an instant as he saw the several bags they needed to unpack.

It had only been a day since they first arrived at Taglagas, Lebrut and the two knights were still in the capital, buying souvenirs to bring back.

Seeing the time, Naell quickly prepared. He did afterall promise to have dinner with them before they returned to Beryldot.

As Naell and Owly approached the school gate, the carriage was already waiting for them.

"Good afternoon young master and Owly." Greeted Iwanko and Dikolam who were helming the horses.

The carriage doors were then opened from inside. Butler Lebrut was the one who stepped out first before bowing in front of Naell.

Behind the butler, was the little girl called Anna, and her grandfather seated by her side.

They both moved towards the door, intending to exit the carriage and greet Naell, yet the young master kindly gestured for them to remain seated.

As a result they simply bowed down and greeted him from inside.

"I'm sorry if we took some time." Said Naell as he greeted them all back apologetically.

"You were just right in time, young master." Butler Lebrut firmly replied.

“We had so much fun big broth--- I mean…young master...” The young Anna said meekly, recalling her grandpa’s words.

“Nobles are of a higher status Anna and so naturally we must show them respect.”

Yet her thoughts were interrupted by Naell who just smiled slightly before speaking.

“I think big brother sounds better.”

Hearing his words, Anna giggled. Quickly she went on to show off a few bags from their trip.

“Hehe, we went around the city and got lots of snacks, big brother!” As if on queue, the gluttonous owl then sat beside the little girl.

Anna in return held out several snacks for him to eat.

Seeing this Naell smiled once more, so did the butler and Anna’s grandfather. It was, afterall, quite warm to see two children having fun.

.

.

.

It didn't take them long to find a place they could dine, as Naell and Owly already had a place in mind. It was a familiar restaurant, the one wherein they and Rizaul first ate together.

“Welcome young master, thank you once again for your patronage.”

“Good day Ma’am. table for seven please.”

“As you command.”

They chose that place as they figured that Anna would definitely love the sweets there, the fine selection of teas for Lebrut, variety of meat for the two knights and most of all, the ambiance that even the clueless Naell felt was beautiful.

Soon afterwards, their decision was on point as by the time the food arrived at their table, they were all having fun as they chatted like old friends.

After a while, the lively chatters mellowed down like the night. The reason being the two lively knights who rushed to the bathroom.

Although they put in their best effort to act like responsible drinkers in front of the young Anna, they resorted to drinking alternatives, and drank several bottles of fizzy drinks instead.

That choice proved to be more fatal as even though they could hold their alcohol, the combination upsetted their stomach.

Butler Lebrut apologized and immediately went on to check on them.

“Are you enjoying the cake?” Naell asked.

• Yup, HOOT. •

• Not you. •

Anna happily nodded with chocolate crumbs on her face.

The large window beside them slowly engulfed their table with the night’s hues, yet the lights of the townsfolk outside made the streets far more beautiful than before.

Anna’s grandfather took a sip of his coffee as he gazed outside. He then felt himself grow very eager to speak,

“Young master, I have thanked you before… but I truly can’t express how immensely grateful I am.”

Anna smiled and stared at the slice of cake before her. She had heard those words from her grandfather before.

Naell misunderstood what the old man meant, and so he simply smiled and replied dismissively,

“This is nothing. I’d be happy to accompany you and the young Miss again.” He raised the cup of warm tea to his lips upon speaking.

“No, young master. I meant... thank you for saving my granddaughter’s life.”

Hearing his weary voice, Naell was caught off guard.

He stopped before he could even take a sip, and turned to the old man infront of him. The man’s wrinkles were prominent as he smiled at Anna.

“I thought I would never see her again, I...what can an old man do without aura or magic?”

Naell then looked to Anna who’s bangs now covered her eyes. She seemed to be sniffling as her grandfather patted her hair. Her hand was shaking as she held the chocolate covered fork.

“Big brother… thank you.” She managed to cry out, making Naell panic as he didn't know what to do.

.

.

.

"Please convey my thanks to Sire Estra as well."

"We won’t forget to, sire." Replied the two knights who were still mildly feeling sick.

By then they were all standing at the school gates, with just the few lights from the school campus to help them see. It had been a while since Naell last stayed up that late, and as a result was as drowsy as he could be.

His eyes felt heavy while he bid farewell to Anna.

“I had fun, big brother… Thank you for letting me play with Owly.” She said before yawning and smiling at the fat owl.

In turn, Owly gave a long happy HOOT, that made the young girl giggle.

"Well, please be safe. Thank you for the ride Mr. Leb."

"My pleasure, young master." Replied Lebrut who helmed the horse instead.

"Sorry for the trouble Iwan, Dikolam but please escort the two first."

"No problem, young master!" Replied the knights in sync.

Anna’s grandfather gazed at Naell who was smiling as he spoke. He was happy that the young master's face became quite mellow, unlike before. 

74