Chapter 69
2.2k 9 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a wide grin, the adventurer known as Cleave began positioning himself like a pitcher.

Under his demeanor of pure bravado, aura burst forth all over his body.

As he clasped his hands towards his chest, a circular ball of aura began to form.

Its appearance was small yet anyone who could use detection knew it was heavy.

"Interesting." Said Lesjon as he observed how it started pulsating more and more.

Meanwhile, from the spectator’s seats, Septh and his friends were impressed with Cleave’s mastery over his aura.

"That's one way to compress aura." He exclaimed with a beaming grin.

"..."

Even Naell was in shock, yet for a completely different matter unrelated to the battle.

As he heard the applause, it made Cleave more proud, so without hesitation, he decided to act instantly.

Raising his right leg to shift his weight to his left foot, smoke billowed from the finely grained sand.

With a pivoting and striding movement, he then released the makeshift ball towards Lesjon.

In immense speed it travelled, ripping through wind and leaving a sharp trace of etched sand in its path.

Rather than evading, the young master of Star with his red cold gaze, remained standing unfazed from what was approaching him.

That was why, Cleave smirked grudgingly when he saw Lesjon as he thought,

'Be eaten by your own pride, young master.'

In his mind, he knew nobles were arrogant, especially the household of Star.

With their power akin to first-rate magicians, and their knight-like durability, a battle of strength was often in their favor.

Yet even so, none of the viewers would criticize Lesjon if he were to dodge that aura. Afterall, most in their right mind wouldn’t dare to stand in front of a piercing projectile of such speed.

Then again, most knew that unlike other mages who used hit and run tactics, the Star family was different, taking pleasure in feats of courage.

As they watched the young master’s headstrong demeanor, everyone was reminded of who he was.

Flames began emitting from Lesjon's surroundings. It then started clashing itself onto the approaching aura.

Shockwave upon shockwave was hauled into the air, and after a while, the compacted aura got liberated.

What remained were the flames hovering around the young master of Star. Not an inch did he move, and not one finger did he raise.

Loud cheers directed at Lesjon filled the arena. For a second, those who forgot how powerful his lineage was, were embarrassed just by thinking he should have avoided that attack.

Cleave tried to dispel their cheers by laughing loudly as he said,

"As expected of you, young master!"

In truth, he was really annoyed, especially seeing his opponent still calm and uninterested as usual.

"You're not so bad yourself." Replied Lesjon only making Cleave more aggravated.

"..."

Naell saw the young master’s gaze of confusion, sensing the noble didn’t realize what he said had angered his opponent.

Veins popped on Cleave's head, muscles bulged further on his arms and with a poof, a large axe in the shape of a hammer was summoned.

Its helve was so big that it resembled a greatsword; its head was wide and oddly as thick as a hammer’s, yet its end was as sharp as an axe.

"I better get serious then--- [ Heave Ho ] ”

As he shifted his torso and bent his knees, the downward swing of his axe released a mighty crescent-shaped aura.

That move he did without breaking a sweat, was now approaching Lesjon.

Nonchalantly, the hovering flames intercepted the aura, and as both powers collided, one triumphed over the other.

The flames that withstood the first attack were split and extinguished without a trace.

Lesjon was startled a bit, yet still unmoving. He placed his right hand directly to the approaching aura.

As a result, the collision of powers produced a fiery red color of a darkish hue.

Cheers began barraging the arena,

"That's what a B-rank adventurer can do!"

"That's his Cleaving aura!"

After extinguishing it as he closed his fist, Lesjon heard Cleave speak, with subtle yet pretentious words.

"Did you like my aura milord?"

"It was rather troublesome." He replied.

When Cleave heard Lesjon, he began feeling good but only for a moment.

"To shape your aura, a parlor trick wasn’t it?" Lesjon added.

His laughter didn't even have hints of joy, it was so dry and loud at the same time.

Yet what really made him mad was how Lesjon described it, because he knew that was all there was to it.

"To make your aura sharper and form axe-like projectiles. Quite the control you have there."

It was clear he was mad as Lesjon seemed to be belittling his abilities.

"It's Cleave, a skill that made me known!"

Surprised, Lesjon asked yet again, allowing Naell to fully realize he and his cousin’s similarities.

"So your name isn't Cleave?"

"..."

If Cleave was a volcano, that was the moment where he truly had erupted. He even forgot to mince his words towards a noble as he said,

"Who would cheesily name their child Cleave!"

In an instant, multiple crescent auras began launching towards Lesjon.

Its strengths varied greatly, some were wider and stronger than the others.

"He's mad." Casper said wryly.

He couldn't blame him as their friend, Lesjon often had a way with his words.

"This looks bad." Added Wendy as the aura he was unleashing wasn't stopping anytime soon.

Septh on the other hand could only sigh as he said,

"That power is really interesting, but poor lad, that's Lesjon."

All of them nodded, including Naell who was embarrassed to say, he and the young master of Star perhaps not only shared eyes but also their tendency to be misunderstood.

As the aura was approaching him, Lesjon smirked and gazed upon his opponent. He then raised his right hand with no sign of wavering.

"If you want a cleave, I'll give you one."

Upon saying those words, rumbles and crackling noises filled the whole arena. All of the viewers gasped that even those who were in the middle of their own battle stopped.

To make it more confusing, all the thrown auras Cleave produced, were cleaved.

His hammer was shattered as well was his expression. Only faint colors of flames were seen yet all of them knew.

With just one move of his hand, Lesjon destroyed the power Cleave had just displayed. Further, as all his tricks had been displayed there was nothing more to say.

"From 1M-1, Lesjon Star will move to the quarter-finals!"

Mony couldn't hide her prejudice when she gladly announced the winner.

On the other hand, most viewers were wondering what had just transpired. Of course they saw the flame that Lesjon just used.

Yet at the same time they vividly remembered how the same flames were split by Cleave's aura.

"I guess, young master Lesjon wasn't serious at first."

"Was he even serious at all?"

"..."

Septh and the others who were close with Lesjon just shrugged. It looks like they knew from the start what would happen.

All the while, Naell was laminating on his mind that he wouldn't dare battle the young master of Star.

"Let's go with Lesjon." Declared Septh who was sick of the people he was with; a lovey-dovey couple and an often drowsy lad.

"Let's go Naell." Said Casper and Wendy as they pulled him.

Reluctantly, Naell could only smile. As they walked, praises pertaining to the name of Star were being shouted from all corners of the arena.

"That last flame was so fast, I only noticed it for a moment!"

"Truly! Who would have thought fire magic could be so bright!"

In that brief moment, Naell's mind was elsewhere, as he knew that those red hues weren't flames at all.

.

.

.

• Hey, HOOT! •

When Naell was about to lose hope of ever finding a way to escape, there flew the flappy bird he never would have thought would be his savior.

It seemed Owly was eager to ask him something, yet because of the noise and Naell ignoring him, (which he understood since he was with someone) he patiently waited as he sat on his head.

“Ah… forgive me young--- brooo, Miss Wendy and young master Septh, but I need to go now and prepare for my match soon.”

The trio was surprised, but seeing how his companion landed on him, made them think that Naell was truly going to train.

“That’s too bad, but alright good luck with your match.” Said Wendy as she smiled and did a curtsy bow.

On the other hand, Casper patted his shoulder while Septh with a nod said with confidence,

“Go easy on them.”

“...”

Naell could only respond with a dry laugh. Just by looking at the battle, he knew going easy on anyone would mean pain and suffering.

Others would definitely say they were lively for enjoying the festival, yet for him, they were laughing in a maniacal way.

Some of course were afraid which by now Naell should detect, yet for some reason, he felt they were releasing a superb amount of killing aura that day.

That was why he would try his best to end all his battles quickly and efficiently. For that reason, he would save the time he had now to conserve his energy and add more tricks.

As they walked, Naell could feel Owly's scrutinising eyes as the bird knew he didn’t have any fixed schedule that day.

• Tomorro--- soon. •

Owly could only sigh with a HOOT of disappointment as he said,

• Liar, HOOT. •

• I didn't lie. •

• Then where are you training, HOOT?

• Dorm. •

“...”

• Let's buy dinner at the canteen. •

• By the way, did you feel it too, HOOT? •

Asked Owly, whose mood immediately lightened. Somehow watching a duel was able to make one starve, therefore he knew both of them were hungry.

‘Yup, it’s not a bribe, HOOT!’

Sensing the rumbling stomach atop his head, Naell nodded, jiggling it further.

In response, Owly slightly tilted his head. He then added on,

• That Star cousin of yours is way better than you, HOOT. •

• That hurts, but yeah I agree. •

• Well, white mana is really rare but bright red is also the case, HOOT. •

Naell couldn’t help but nod at Owly's words. He could only silently hope and plead that he would not have to fight the young master of Star.

65