Chapter 75
2.4k 6 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Because of the intense fight they had all just witnessed, the other competitors were all heated up, particularly the protagonist's party.

From Rizaul's loss yet limitless potential, to Viola's power-bout with Aive Noeadia, and lastly to Andrew's drawn-out battle, all had managed to leave an impact on everyone in the arena.

[ Those students really are something! ]

Shouted several guests and teachers alike as they watched.

"Heh, too bad…"

Yet unlike the onlookers, a few hooded beings were fascinated knowing a storm was to arrive upon those very same students.

"Guys, here!" Namiku cheerfully said upon spotting the half-elf and lilac-haired friend of hers.

Excluding Andrew who was still in the infirmary, the protagonist's party who had all finished their respective battles, were now planning on watching the upcoming matches.

"We're back." Said Viola who wanted to happily wave at them, yet as her body was in so much pain, she refrained from doing so.

In Viola’s bout, although she won against the young miss of Noeadia, she suffered greatly from the aftermath.

From the moment it started, she and Aive immediately showcased their power and ability.

Aive Noeadia wielded a unique weapon that encompassed her grace as a noble; two fortified fans embedded with the incredible artistry of her hometown.

With its ridges intricately curved in a way that allowed her to release heavy aura with ease. Its handle was blunt and made of heavy ores, and its thick wing-like leaves were even made to be retractable, giving her a flexible line of defense.

Due to that, Viola’s magic was either reflected by the fan's leaves, or erased altogether by Aive's aura.

Yet likewise, none of Aive’s attacks could actually make its way to Viola, as her sheer prowess was just that immense as it was reflective.

The fierce battle between light magic and chaotic aura ensued, with every moment seemingly consisting of one trying to devour the other.

Both of their powers were known as representatives of strength, and truly neither managed to disappoint.

All of their clashes were to assert their dominance. Yet even though both of their power levels were equally matched, hints of disparity could still be seen.

To compare, Viola's light magic was faster, yet Aive's chaotic aura was much more flexible.

With that, both of them relied on that spectrum of weakness, till eventually, Viola's faster ability and experiences triumphed in the end.

"Congratulations on your win."

"I…"

"It's not a bad feeling losing to the so-called student of Andrea."

"Well done." Said Namiku to both of them, all the while Rinca who sat beside her, nodded in affirmation.

Yet Rizaul only smiled at them and sat despondently, in turn causing his friends to take notice and comfort the depressed half-elf.

"Cheer up, Riz. You know I might be your opponent next year. We'll get to beat each other up by then!"

Said Note who forced optimism as the person who wasn't even allowed to participate.

Rinca however, who had shared the same fate as Rizaul, at the very least did not share his sentiment. Unlike him, she was truly content with the outcome of her loss against Namiku, and it showed as she hummed a tune and smiled to herself--- an act that was unbecoming of her character.

Still, all of them completely understood Rizaul’s dejected nature, as even though the fight seemed close, the half-elf knew he had inevitably lost his fight.

The upperclassman whose strength and endurance exceeded even Note Raal’s, managed to best Rizaul.

The battle itself was incredible, as both competitors were serious martial artists.

In the beginning of the match, the half-elf’s speed managed to make things difficult for the female martial artist.

She wielded a massive shield with spikes protruding from its shell; connected to it was a long and heavy chain that she was able to manipulate with her aura.

When stiffened upon her will, the chains of her weapon were reminiscent of a large mace's handle.

It was clear even to the audience how immensely heavy her weapon was. As a result, her movements were significantly slower than Rizaul's.

For a while this played in the half-elf's favor, as he made use of his speed against her, giving her barely any windows to retaliate and counter.

Yet just like her, even with his advantage in speed, Rizaul could hardly find any glimmer of vulnerability. Her prowess when it came to handling her weapon, was immensely formidable.

It made it so that although Rizaul was faster, she could take her time to anticipate his next attack, and overtime, her fortitude made her gain the upper hand.

As she began to retaliate with intense hit after hit, Rizaul quickly found himself cornered.

He could only abandon the idea of clashing head-on and try his best to create some distance.

Most thought that would be his loss, yet none were able to expect his sudden growth throughout that fight.

Out of pure determination to win the battle, Rizaul's aura of intention expanded and allowed him to finally see a clear opening.

With her weakness in shifting and changing direction, Rizaul was able to send a flurry of attacks, making sure each attack was difficult to defend.

This left his opponent in shock as she herself didn't anticipate her weakness would be exploited.

Yet in the end, that opportunity was no longer of any use. For Rizaul, no matter how he knew his tactic was certain to work, the battle had already gone for far too long, with almost all his energy depleted.

Thus, completely exhausted, the half-elf accepted his defeat.

"I'll await the time that you're named."

"Hey, she was above our year and if you think about it, she should be banned like me!" Added Note who was spitting facts, with hints of annoyance from the unfair treatment lingering in his voice.

As his words had done nothing to improve Rizaul's mood, he instead joined him in being depressed.

That resulted in their friend wryly smiling and sighing while looking at them.

Luckily, Andrew's return from the infirmary was just what they needed.

"Hey…" Weakly said Andrew whose stamina was completely depleted from the fight.

The student he just fought was a man named Gregory Stronghold. A 3rd-year high school student hailing from the Country of Christmas.

From the very start of the fight, Andrew and Gregory’s exchanges sent shockwave upon shockwave of aura throughout the field.

Those waves were not from ranged attacks but from their blades' impact upon parrying against one another.

One could certainly leap and avoid such close confrontation like what Rizaul had done in his match.

Yet neither was willing to do so as their pride wouldn't let them.

Most could only laugh. It hadn't been too long since Andrew last fought with such vigor as a swordsman. In that last heated battle, he had even ended up as the one-side victor.

Yet at that moment, it was him who was being pushed back. Further it was even the first time he had to use both his aura and magic for offense.

It was a surprising scene to everyone, especially Andrew, who was used to dominating his opponent.

It was also apparent to most that he was indeed losing the battle, yet it was not entirely because Gregory's aura was stronger, but because of the upperclassman's superior swordsmanship.

Most thought he would eventually retreat to find another way to win. Yet what they saw was his smile under his ragging breath and bruised body, due to the several waves of aura he just withstood.

Andrew realized he had been complacent. His swordsmanship that he was proud to call his first ally, rusted over the years of him prioritizing his aura and his newly found mana.

That contemplation made him realize his mistake. The room for improvement should not only contain his superficial power, but also everything else including his swordsmanship.

As that thought awakened something in him, Andrew ultimately became more aware of the skills and techniques he had developed on Earth.

In the end, he had won by making Gregory himself resign from the fight.

"My defeat, Magic swordsman."

Yet Andrew at best, knew it should have been a draw, as had they undergone one more exchange, he would have inevitably lost.

“Sit down Andrew,” Said Rizaul and Note who assisted him to a seat.

All of them excluding Note were apparently exhausted and injured. Yet it was Andrew who looked to be the most spent out of all of them.

“Thanks guys. Riz nice fight by the way. It's amazing you almost won against-”

“A loss is still a loss, but... I honestly can't feel seeing how worn out you are,”

"Same here, congratulations on your win." Added Note.

“Hah, I'm glad me getting wrecked helped you two feel better.” Replied Andrew, earning him laughs from his friends.

As they all chatted and awaited the next fight, Owly suddenly teleported on Rizaul's lap.

"..."

• I was annoying him, HOOT. •

"..."

They were shocked nonetheless regardless of the sound reason.

• Wouldn't that just exhaust him? •

Asked Viola and Namiku who were still bewildered by his presence.

Yet Owly only snickered and said,

• I know, HOOT! •

Soon enough the next match was announced,

"Lesjon Star vs. Naell Beryldot."

63