Chapter 89
1.7k 9 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Days had passed since the terrorist attack in the Autumn Kingdom. Most were still grieving from the destruction it had brought forth.

Even when all the mages and martial artists took priority in saving lives, some were still slain due to the vulnerability it brought whilst protecting others.

By then all of Mundo had become alarmed. The idea that any kingdom could suffer the same fate from the so-called "Pieces of Lucile" had spread.

With it were the speculations that they too were behind the past tragedy in the Noble Summit--- thus furthering the scope of gossip.

"They were indeed referring to Lucile as their master." Lesjon Star affirmed before King Nohad Taglagas, his father Marquis Metero Star, his Aunt Anti-Witch Lightingale Sarah Star, other high-ranking nobles, and even envoys of the other nations.

Upon the long table, in that very gathering room, a mystical crystal-like screen stood at the very end. It displayed several discoloured faces of authority.

The large device was an invention of Escuel Co. that connected the other rulers of Mundo to their emergency meeting at that moment. One booming voice from that device then echoed throughout every room,

"And you say, one of them calls herself the Queen?" Asked King Nohad Taglagas.

Even with his dignified appearance, it was apparent that even he was stressed from the events that had transpired. His wrinkles grew prominent as his eyes scrunched in concern.

Aive was the one who answered. She, Lesjon, Rumi, and other knights/nobles were present in the meeting as witnesses who took part in that final confrontation.

"Yes, your Majesty. One called himself U'los, the rook of Lucile. While the "queen" called herself Rey---"

Yet the envoy of Awdita, Kingdom Of Elves, the graceful Duchess, Fle Mistaya interrupted Aive with a woeful voice,

"Reyna..."

When they heard her, Aive nodded with a hint of surprise. Others then gave the Duchess a questioning look to which Fle obliged and answered,

"She is a mixed-race born of a spirit and a dark elf. The daughter of King Androm, the first of his name... May he rest well in peace."

[ May he rest well in peace. ]

Upon hearing the others' remark, Fle then continued.

"...She was exiled by her Father eons ago, and she was my cousin."

Her blond eyes were filled with sorrow while her pointed ears slightly shook with each word.

"...But if she's the same person--- nay she must be that person who calls herself the Queen."

"What makes you so certain she is the one we speak of, Duchess?" Asked Emperor Kaido Asuna, the King's Gambit himself.

Everyone grew silent upon the esteemed leader's question. There was no reason to doubt that Mundo's strongest martial artist would of course intimidate most of the envoys and other royals as well.

On the other hand, Fle managed to remain composed as she gazed back at the Emperor and answered,

"Because she is the only one who can use both light and dark magic with that mastery."

Upon her words, subtle voices of agreement were heard in the room. From the accounts of those who had fought her, the lady named Reyna could cast [ Shadow Veil ].

It was a rare magic born out of the element of darkness. It possessed its own space and could be used for offense.

Yet often, it was mostly for concealment, as even the most gifted users of detection magic and aura of intention would have a hard time pinpointing its caster's location.

The representative of Escuel Co. then added on how spatial rings were invented with the same concept revolving around [ Shadow Veil ].

"So that's how they were able to infiltrate our Kingdom." With angst muttered Aestero of the Star Family, the Captain of Magic Knights.

As if that discovery was the grimmest news that had been painted that day, all of the envoys already allowed their faces to turn grim.

"Ahem.'

Yet Rumi had something else to say that would undoubtedly raise the bar for bad news. With an earnest look, she raised her hand and attempted to interject,

"Greetings to the room. I am Ru---"

"We know who you are, the one who will inherit the 12th." Said Kaido Asuna who was beyond suited to accept the words from his soon-to-be fellow named martial artist.

"You may simply speak."

With a nod to the emperor, Rumi continued,

"Very well. I have a reason to believe that they are also trying to revive the demon king."

[ The demon king!? ]

The tense atmosphere lasted for half an hour. All nations began fearing for their own lands equally.

Among the aged and experienced rulers of that room, only a handful of beings witnessed history and how truly dreadful that news could be. Still, none made the mistake of undermining the threat as not one was spared from knowing stories of the Demon King's wake.

It was said that even the secretive dragons and free-spirited fairies who were not even affected by the war of the continents, took upon themselves active roles against the Demon King.

The war lasted for centuries, with the tides of battle leaning towards an unfavorable outcome. Only when the beings of Mundo united did they manage to defeat and overthrow the Demon King.

Yet the onslaughts from years of turmoil cost the deaths of many, including half of the old 12 Guardians.

One of the envoys whose dreadful face seemed to have been contemplating history then asked,

"Shouldn't we inform the Guardians then? Perhaps speak of this to the Dragons and the Fairies even?"

[ Yes, we should! ]

[ Certainly! ]

All of them agreed and discussed among themselves who would inform who. Yet some of them knew it wouldn't be much help as the Guardians were nowhere to be seen.

For the Dragons, there was still hope as they'd hear out the plea of any being brave enough to enter their territory. Fairies however were far different. None could enter their domain, even more so locate their Land if they didn't wish to be seen.

"I will ask, Baron Fharom, Drew, and Andrea Sunheart if any shall be willing to go there." Duke Mard Arigare said.

[ Yes, they are known acquaintances— even friends of the Faeries! ]

"But don't get your hopes up just yet, two of them are retired and Baron Fharom is crippled."

Through the screens, several nodded in dismay, knowing how begrudgingly slim their chances of attaining information were at that moment.

"With that out of the way, may I ask what the scholars have to say about the mana bomb?" Enitma Summer said with stern eyes sharply gazing from the screen.

Few sneers were thrown as the man spoke, while indifference had remained on the most dignified rulers among them.

The prince who was a mere figurehead in the eyes of many retained a significant level of competence in handling diplomacy. Thus he had been recognized and allowed a seat in their gathering to represent the Kingdom of Summer.

Yet at that moment, scorn for whether he deserved to be present, or respect for his capability was split among them who sat around the table.

One scholarly elder paid no mind and had no care for the prince's background. He then, with only the intention of answering the inquiry, raised his hand and spoke on behalf of Taglagas' Magic Research Institute.

"I suppose it goes without saying, we are now all aware of the turn of events that day." The elder started. Everyone there had already heard in essence what happened in EDSD.

At the final moment of the enemies' escape, a bomb just like in the Noble Summit went off, and the one who saved all the other lives within that school was none other than Naell Beryldot.

Upon freezing the explosion with his ice magic forming a flower-like sculpture from the supposed explosion, he fell unconscious. Those in the area at that time feared that he would experience the same fate as his mother, Alicia Beryldot.

Yet when they examined him, Naell was only asleep from using too much mana that had brought overexertion. He was then taken to the hospital, together with the protagonist party and Owly.

"Upon inspecting the remnants of the bomb, it had a property that can completely be rid of mana and aura within a certain distance..."

Angst was heard among the faces filled with fear. After hesitating, the scholar then continued reading the information written on a scroll.

"...but add more to its core and it will release more power."

[ ... ]

"Then... If that thing exploded it would have been just like..." Said one of the nobles who could not even continue what he was about to say.

"Yes, and this detail has allowed us to determine that this bomb was indeed the same as the device in the Noble Summit that... Baroness Alicia Beryldot halted. May she rest in peace."

[ ...May she rest in peace. ]

While the brewing silence continued for a while, Roetem Star, a former Marquis and the one hailed as the Celestial Wizard then asked,

"Then tell me, scholar, why on earth did the Witch of Winter die when she was more powerful than her son at that time?"

Deep inside they were all glad that someone asked it. They were all curious as to how on Earth Naell managed to pull it off. The gruff voice of the former Marquis Star had only made the question even more worth answering.

"We believe, young master Naell detected that when he was freezing the explosion, the bomb was eating away his mana, therefore he conjured a second spell that would freeze its very properties."

[ ... Is that even possible!?!? ]

"Theoretically it wasn't, until he made it."

"..."

Announcement

Check the characters of Volume 1 - 2 at the patreon post here:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/updated-vol-2-65136761?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copy_to_clipboard&utm_campaign=postshare

The post is titled "Character Portraits WiP" Under the "Arts" tag at patreon.com/nezothecat 

We hope you guys liked the chapter and have a nice day ' w')/

46