Chapter 10
8.8k 24 199
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Hello! It is us, NeZoTheCat.  

First of all, we’d like to thank everyone for the continuous support in our series. 

In celebration of our 100 readers, we’ve prepared another chapter for this week. Please enjoy as you will be reading it at the end of this note (unless you skipped it).   

If you guys are interested for other updates, you can check out our WordpressTwitter and Artist Ne's Instagram  (we might even post some pictures of TheCat).

Once again, from the bottom of TheCat’s paw, we thank you. And as always, we appreciate everyone’s feedback, messages, and even the gesture of sharing our story.

*******

Nobles have the responsibility to maintain peace within their respective territories. Occasionally, invading monsters would bring chaos and instill fear into the hearts of their people. In these situations, nobles would dispatch soldiers and commission quests in the Adventurer's guild to stop the invading monsters. Nevertheless, they would never clash against monsters living a secluded life, not to mention, that is rarely the case.

Most monsters are hostile creatures. It was told in an ancient lore that the first demon king was the one who created the first monster. Monsters then aided the demons in the War of the World that lasted for a hundred years.

Going back, nobles had responsibilities to their fief, thus they often requested for the adventurers' manpower. At the same time, they would deploy soldiers of their own for missions, such as what they would be doing that day.

Naell would sometimes join those kinds of quests to gain first-hand experience and to further adapt to his mana. It was made possible as he was the son of a Baron and the student of an honorary B-rank adventurer. The butler has always been welcome to participate, since they knew of his capabilities.

That day, the soldiers and adventurers alike were tasked with a B-rank quest. They were currently on their way towards their destination where there were reports of monster sightings near the western border of the Beryldot estate. They did not bring horses nor big carriages, as their destination wasn't suited for it.

Missions have different ranks, and SSS would be a calamity like situation.

The Forestlands in the western border of the Beryldot estate, was a dangerous place. The subjugation was tasked to enter the inner depths of the Forestland, that even experienced adventurers would try to avoid.

B-class monsters often populated that place, which resulted in frequent clashes to exert dominance against one another. Consequently, awakened monsters sometimes evolved from these conflicts.

Awakened monsters are considered A-class and above. Their power to rule over lower-class monsters is dangerous, considering they might cross the human territory. The awakened monster will also gain conscience, making them civilized or intelligently brutal.

Awakened monsters or animals that reach enlightenment will name themselves. Either the monster or animal will get another elemental magic or their aura will reach its peak.

Unlike the animal race that is neutral even upon awakening, the monster race was often chaotic.

Naell and Sebastian were approached by a bulky man whose voice was too soft for his body.

"We are always honored to have you here, Captain."

Sebastian replied warmly, as he seemingly knew the person very well.

"Hohoho, no need for formalities, Lieutenant."

Lieutenant Estra was a C-rank soldier. He was formerly under Sebastian's command during the Continental War. He, later on, decided to work under Baron Fharom, since the northern border of the Autumn kingdom has always been his home.

The bulky Lieutenant smiled as he said,

"You'll always be a captain for me."

The Lieutenant's bulky body was being amplified by the plate armor he often wore. He had the face of a happy-go-lucky uncle that suited his grayish hair. One would often think he was the type who would spoil their siblings' children.

"...And we always welcome your support, young Master."

Lieutenant Estra flinched seeing a cold Naell nodding formally towards him.

He was always scared of seeing the young master as he was often described as the bad seed of Beryldot. Even so, he knew that the cold young master had a warm heart that protected not just the adventures and soldiers, but a whole village. Still, his young master always had this demeanor which would often scare people.

Naell's cold look was actually him being nervous, as he was able to detect the surrounding monsters.

'I can sense a couple of B-class monsters… Even traces of stronger mana.'

"I'll do my best to support you, Lieutenant."

"T...Thank you, Young master!"

Unlike the Grassy plains at the Northern Beryldot, Forestlands have more complex landscapes as they are an ecosystem that is inhabited by plants, trees, and monsters.

Upon arriving at the place, soldiers and adventures all readied themselves, as they sensed the mana and aura circling around the forest.

Lieutenant Estra started to converse with them again, without letting his guard down. As an experienced martial artist, even he could sense the lingering traces of a peak B-class monster.

"Few animals live here because strong monsters dwell in this forest."

"Hohoho, I could even sense a stronger being that might cause us some trouble."

The high ranking adventurers and soldiers in that expedition, could only sense the faint traces of the peak B-class monster. However, Sebastian, who was the strongest among them, could sense it better.

"Good morning teacher Claus, B--- Lieutenant, today's gonna be a long day."

"I'm lucky to have a capable mage like you here Si---Sestra."

"Hohoho. It's been quite some time, Sestra. Congratulations on your promotion."

"Thank you, Teacher."

"Hohoho"

Sestra was the adventurers' acting leader in that subjugation. She was a bright blue mage that was recently promoted into a B-rank mage. Aside from being an adventurer, she owned a magic shop at Arigare estate.

She was wearing a standard black mage robe. Her fierce blue eyes matched her long blue hair. Some said that she looked more like a fighter than a mage.

"...Young master, Naell." Sestra felt indebted to Duke Mard as he was the one who officially welcomed them to his domain after the war. As someone who cared for Lady Rinca Arigare, she despised Naell for his actions towards her lady. She could not hide her tone and irritation towards the young master.

"Good morning, Lady Sestra." Naell felt the cold attitude of Sestra towards him, nevertheless, knowing the old Naell, he couldn't even begin to imagine what he had done.

"Lieutenant, we should start our formation right away."

"Ah right... Captain, Young master, please excuse us." Lieutenant Estra and Sestra nodded, as they hurriedly went ahead of them.

Sebastian then spoke as to comfort Naell, who looked dejected by Sestra’s display of attitude.

“Do not worry about it. She's actually a nice lady."

"Oh... I do not mind that Sensei." Naell was actually pondering about the traces of mana that he could not pinpoint, when a group of green agile creatures came running towards them.

"Trolls!"

Forest trolls are stronger than goblins and are even more agile. They are often classified as peak C to low B-class monsters.

The soldiers and adventurers went on their formation. Melee fighters went and met the trolls, while long-range artists and mages provided long-range artillery.

As to not damage the forest, a subjugation like that called for its participants to try their best to fight precisely and clean, as the forest was also a good cover to protect the nearby villages.

Trolls would use their agile movement to skillfully throw their weapons or cut down their unlucky opponents. Luckily, most of the participants were experienced enough to predict the trajectory of the trolls' weapons.

On the other hand, support mages would use their mana shield for protection, and hinder the trolls' agility, by slowing or blocking their path. A martial artist with their aura of strength would then finish them off.

 

[ SPEARTH ]

 

Sestra with her experience, precisely shot earth javelins towards the approaching trolls, impaling them swiftly in the chest.

Naell could always appreciate seeing the movement of experienced and smarter beings. He thought he could get used to seeing dead bodies, but he always reminds himself that killing was not an option.

'Making them unable to move or cutting some parts of their body would suffice!'

Some were in awe seeing how innovatively Naell was using his magic. Since he didn't have an affinity to earth magic, what he did was mix his magic water from the soil that was already present in the forest, making a slippery surface for the trolls to walk into.

"That's... Quagmire." Some adventures were shouting about the magic [ quagmire ]. It is actually a combination of earth and water magic. With a stronger affinity for earth and another element, one could transcend into an [alchemist].

Those who knew Naell easily dismissed the idea as they knew that his elements were water and wind. Those who could understand what he was doing could only be amazed.

For Sestra, who was seeing this for the first time, she was surprised; firstly, because of Naell's capabilities; and second, for using his magic to defend the soldiers and adventurers.

'It might look easy but a small amount of water won't make any impact, and an amount too large would definitely destroy the land...'

'...And to actually use different magic at once... Going as far as making sure we won't get hurt.' Sestra too, upon seeing Naell for the first time, really cemented in her heart that this cold-looking young master could actually hurt her lady. Yet as they went deeper, she could only doubt what she knew.

The subjugation continued on with the occasional ambush by trolls, goblins, and B-class orcs who were bigger and bulkier than the two.

They were lucky enough that the orcs in Beryldot's forestland were few in numbers, that was why they could fight head-on.

"But the orcs aren't the mana I'm detecting, Sensei."

"That is true. But that mana... As we go deeper is actually a fainting one." Sebastian and the other experienced adventurers have realized it all too well. It could have been dying mana that had been collateral of duels between the forests’ predators or prey.

What they did not know was that Naell could actually feel the intention of the creature's mana.

"It's different from the auras and mana that these monsters are omitting, Sensei. It was SOOTHING."

.

.

.

"Even if you can't capitalize on your usage, there are things only higher ranking mages like you can detect." Just by that conversation alone, Sebastian could guess that even if his student's mana detection was below his, Naell was better when it came to detecting the intentions of the user.

Then again, martial Artists whose expertise was the aura of intention, were capable of detecting far beyond what a high ranking mage could do.

As they were nearing their destination, bodies of orcs and other weaker creatures could be seen. The stench of blood made some of the members of the subjugation feel nausea as well as Naell who was acting as if it wasn't affecting him one bit.

The paler looking Naell's wavy hair seemed translucent as the shade of light in the forest shined upon him.

Even Sestra found it mystical to look at, yet some of them felt that the young master looked more like the final boss of a dungeon, he who would soon bring forth havoc with his bloody looking eyes.

 

*cough*

 

Sebastian interjected as to distract all of them from their seemingly similar thoughts.

"Looks like a battle of territory."

Estra nodded in acknowledgment, while the blue haired mage uttered cautiously in response to the danger she was sensing.

"Something is amiss here, Lieutenant."

"Get the adventurers ready, Sestra."

They were having a conversation together with Sebastian, Naell, and other high ranking soldiers.

"Hohoho, if needed be, I'll do my part."

"That would be a big help Captain!" Estra could not help but express his enthusiasm, knowing an experienced and famous mage such as Sebastian would join the battle.

As they were formulating their strategy, mages and martial artists alike flinched as they sensed the aura that was hastily approaching their location.

"Get ready soldiers!" Shouted Lieutenant Estra. The visible sweat from his neck could be seen. Their formation had been fortified as all of them could sense the [ aura of strength ] of the approaching creature.

199