Chapter 5 – The Villainess Greets her Visitors
7.3k 5 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared at the golden brown potato fritters that had been fried into perfection lying innocently on my plate. Just this morning, after I had finished my Magic lessons, Diana informed that the maids had suggested getting new skirts as some of them were getting difficult to fit into. But didn’t I just make some around two months ago? Although I had comforted myself that it was likely to be a growth spurt, I was conscious that I was not getting much exercise with this lifestyle. What am I going to do if I end up becoming a round, villainous lady?

“Liliana, how was your lesson today?”

I tore my eyes away from the sinful fried potato fritters and I looked up at the woman seated across me who had posed the question.

Although she was already in her mid-thirties with two children, my mother was a person who still lived up to her old nickname of ‘the Red Rose of the Capital’; given way back when she was still studying in the Royal Academy. With dark red hair that curled around her shoulders and deep blue eyes that drooped slightly at the corners, she was often hailed to be the very picture of a warm and magnanimous lady.

That was probably because they have never seen her teach.

“Miss Eleanor and Mr Theodore are very easy to talk to and professional in their teaching. I think that I will learn a lot from them.”

“I hope that you did not cause them any trouble?”

“Of course not!” Why was she saying like I always caused trouble?

As a way of protest, I picked up a potato fritter with my fork decisively and fed it into my mouth. It will hurt the chefs’ feelings if I was to waste food! I considered myself to have a fairly good relationship with the kitchen staff so it would be terrible if I was to upset them by leaving food on my plate, I convinced myself.

At most I’ll let them know to cut down on oily food from tomorrow onwards!

The time was now noon and I was having lunch with my mother in the main building dining room. With brother away at the Academy, it was normally just the two of us dining together as father was busy with work and often away from home.

“And I gather that the lawn has returned to its original condition?” mother continued to ask lightly.

My heart skipped a beat, before I looked up cautiously. I was hoping that she would have not known about the incident as she was at her rooms at that time, but I guess the incident was too big to escape from her ears.

Seeing that she was still dining calmly, I silently heaved a sigh of relief before speaking out.

“Yes, the lawn is back to normal.”

After the small mishap, Eleanor and Theodore went down to help with the cleaning up. With the help of their magic, the lawn returned to its previous look within 15 minutes. I was once again overwhelmed by the incredibility of magic.

“I’m done!”

After polishing off the last of my fried potato fritter, I stood up from my seat. The only class I had that day was Magic, so I was able to spend the rest of my afternoon leisurely. I had just gotten a new book so I was looking forward to reading it. Maybe in the indoor garden since it was so hot outside?

Just as I was making plans in my head and preparing to go off, mother called out to me, “By the way, you are having guests today. They should be reaching anytime soon. Go and get ready.”

I turned my head back. Must she really ruin my plans just as I was making them? Shouldn’t she give a one week notice?

“Do I really have to go all the way back to change?” I protested. I was wearing a white puffy sleeved blouse with a long maroon coloured skirt that reaches slightly below the knees that was easy to move around in. The material was light and cool on the skin, perfect for the hot summer season. If I had to change into a heavy dress that mother considered ‘proper’ for visitors, it was going be very stuffy and uncomfortable.

“I am just going to greet and hide away after that as usual, right?”

“I said that it was your visitors, didn’t I?” mother answered as she raised an eyebrow elegantly.

“Mine?” I tilted my head to the side.

I do not remember knowing enough people to have them come and visit me?

At that moment, a conversation that had happened a while ago came into my mind.

“I will definitely pay a visit when I have the time.” A certain caramel-haired boy’s gentle smile floated up from the depths of my memory.

Could it be?

“I will go and change now!” I shouted as I rushed out.

“Don’t run in the corridor!”

Heeding my mother’s words, I slowed down into a brisk walk and hurried down the corridors alone. Diana was probably still having her lunch at the servant’s dining hall so I was walking unaccompanied, but it was alright as I could dress by myself just fine. In the past, the maids used to help me with my dressing, but now I’ll try to wear them myself unless absolutely necessary. Having people staring at me while I wear clothes was just shame play for someone with the memories of a 16-year-old!

I decided to walk through the gardens again as it was a short cut. Even though I was surrounded by bushes that were taller than me, I weaved through the place skilfully.

All of a sudden, the warm laughter of the elderly gardener floated into my ears.

“Hahaha! That’s right, that’s right.”

I stopped in my tracks as it was rare to hear him laugh out loud like that. Overcome with curiosity, I tiptoed as I try to spot his figure from amongst the bushes and flower pots. I was soon able to spot him a distance away half covered by a bush.

As I approached him slowly, bits and pieces of the conversation started to float into my ears.

“Oh! So this is how you grow this type of plant?”

“Hoho. Even though it looks difficult at first, if you nurture it carefully, it can grow to bloom beautiful flowers.”

Is he talking to someone else? The voice was familiar… But at the same time not. As the bush had completely hidden the other party’s figure, I was unable to see who the other person was.

“What about this plant? Is it difficult to grow?”

“It is only as difficult as your determination, young man,” the elderly gardener chuckled as he replied.

Ah~ the gardener was doing it again, I sighed inwardly. Although he was talented, he did not mix well with the younger gardeners because the advice he gave were always so vague. In fact, some of them even felt that he was doing it on purpose to prevent others from stealing his knowledge. However, I knew that it was just the way he talks and that he did not mean any harm. Was this what you call generation gap?

“Wow… Plants are really amazing aren’t they?” The other voice breathed in admiration, seemingly convinced by the answer he had just received.

I took a deep breath before I popped my head out from the side of the bush.

“Yep, they are!”

“Whoa!”

It seemed like my sudden appearance was too shocking. As the boy was crouching while holding his knees, before I could react, he fell backwards on his butt.

“I’m so sorry! Are you okay?”

I held a hand out to the boy who had fallen.

“Don’t worry, I’m alright. Thanks!” The boy gave a sheepish laugh as he looked up and took my hand.

“Oh?”

I blinked as the boy’s amber eyes met mine. Lightly tanned skin, wavy chocolate brown hair, and a friendly looking face that still had some baby fats left, wasn’t this... I did not catch a good look of him earlier due to the confusion, but now that his face was right in front of me, I could see that he was the boy who had pushed me into the pond back at the Royal Palace.

“Ah! Lady Liliana?” The boy seemed to recognise me as well.

“Yes, I am.” I nodded. Mmm? What was he doing here though?

The boy quickly scrambled up and brushed grass off his grey pants. Luckily, he had just fallen on his butt or his white shirt would have gotten stained by the grass. His hair was messy but he did not look like he gave a care and smiled cheerfully.

“I didn’t get to introduce myself before. My name is Aedus!”

“Nice to meet you, Lord Aedus, ” I greeted apprehensively in return.

Now that I think about it, the name Aedus seemed to ring a bell somewhere, but no matter how hard I tried to remember, I was unable to recall its importance.

“By the way… Lord Aedus, what are you doing here?” I decided to go with a straightforward question.

“Ah. Were you not informed of our arrival?”

Oh! Could he be the guest mother was talking about? Ah… For a moment I thought that it was someone else. How embarrassing! I felt my cheeks go warm.

“Yes, my mother just informed a while ago. But is anything the problem?” I couldn’t recall doing anything that would warrant a special visit.

Hearing my words, Aedus straightened his back and gave a deep bow with a solemn expression. “I am really sorry for pushing you into the pond!”

I was taken aback by his actions. Just how serious is he to chase all the way to the countryside to apologise to me?

“It is alright!” I replied hurriedly. “You have already apologised to me before. There is no need to apologise again.”

Aedus gave a worried look. “I heard from Charles that you fell sick after that. Have you recovered? Plus, I did something improper that day as well... My purpose here is to pay my apologies officially.”

“Thank you very much for your thoughts but I don’t think there is a need for that at all. And I have completely recovered a long time ago.” It had been three weeks since I returned from the visit. There was no way such a small cold could last for that long!

“I heard from Charles that you are sickly so I wanted to make sure…”

“Sickly…?” I frowned. Apart from catching the occasional common cold, I have been very healthy. Ah… Unless it was one of those rumours being said about me?

“As you can see, I am perfectly healthy! Some rumours are better not to be believed,” I said as I raised an arm up energetically.  

“That was what Charles told me as well…” Aedus replied with a relieved expression.

“By the way, Lord Aedus seem to be very close with his Highness. Are the both of you good friends?” I asked curiously. Even if he was a high ranking noble, it wasn’t like just anyone could be so close with the Prince.

“Charles and I have been good friends since young,” Aedus beamed proudly. “I often visit the Royal Palace as my father works there. Ah, I haven't introduced my last name have I? I often hide my last name when talking others so I have gotten used to it. Ahaha!” the boy said sheepishly.

Often hide his last name? Just what kind of person is this boy? I took in his figure again. With a height that was around half a head taller than me, wavy hair that were slightly long at the sides and amber coloured eyes glimmering with energy, he held a strong resemblance to someone I knew... But who was it again?

As I continued to be puzzled over the true identity of the boy, Aedus flashed a smile.

“Once again, I am Aedus Lev Swenson, son of the Duke of Duncaster.” The boy gave a graceful bow with his hand over his heart.

The moment I heard his full name, I was immediately hit with realisation.

“Ah! You are Prince Charles’s friend!” I exclaimed as I pointed a finger at him.

Aedus gave a confused look. “Yes, that’s what I said earlier…”

I quickly shook my head. “Um, sorry! You can just forget what I just said,” I hurriedly replied as I realised the strangeness of my words.

What I had meant was who Aedus Lev Swenson was inside the light novel series.

Although he was an important side character, he was too different from how he looked when he was older so I was unable to recall who he was for a moment. Who would have thought that the ladies’ man would be so pure and innocent when he was young? Ah, but seeing what he did back in the Royal Palace, he was probably not all that pure and innocent after all.

At age 18, Aedus Lev Swenson was a frivolous and sociable character who leaked sex appeal and was wildly popular with the ladies. Only one year older than Prince Charles, they were childhood friends, and continued to be best of buddies in the Academy. He was also the first one who realised his friend’s interest in the heroine, and played a big part in helping them to get together. All in all, he was the perfect supporting character.

However, their strong friendship had also caused much unhappiness amongst the fans of the series. The trouble started brewing from the particular illustration that showed the two of them sparkling while drenched in sweat from their practice sword fight. That particular illustration ignited a fire in the hearts of certain fans, so there were some who were disappointed when Prince Charles ended up with the heroine. Although I fully support the heroine and the Prince, I had also secretly enjoyed the scenes showing off their - ahem - friendship immensely.

Wait… Now that I have been reincarnated into the world itself, I get to see this scene and that scene in real life?

Perhaps being reincarnated wasn't so bad after all? My eyes shone upon the realisation.

“Lady Liliana, shouldn’t you bring the young Lord to the guest lounge? I am sure the Marquise will be looking for her guest,” the elderly gardener reminded gently. “He had wandered into the garden by accident earlier and got lost. As I still have some left work to do, will you be able to guide him out by yourself?”

“Sure!” I chirped. It was true that it was not very nice to make the guest stand around like this.

“Please follow me closely, Lord Aedus,” I called as I started walking back to the main building. Since it was just him, I guess there is no need to change my clothes!

“Your garden is really complicated isn’t it?” Aedus asked as he looked around while following me.

“You think so too? But it is only for this area, the other gardens are much more straightforward,” I replied.

“Is there a reason for that?”

“Ummm…” I thought hard. “Well, it is probably a style?” I did realise that the garden surrounding my house was more complicated than the other areas, but I had no knowledge of how landscaping works so that was my best guess.

“Alright! Here we are!” I said as we stepped out of the garden onto the lawn.

The guest lounge was at the other side of the building from where we were so instead of waking from the main entrance, I decided to walk around from the back of the building and enter from a side door as it was a faster route.

Just as I was going to step into the shade of the first level back corridor, my eyes spotted two figures in the distance that stopped me in my tracks.

“Diana? And who is that with her?” I squinted and wondered out loud.

The two of them were standing with their sides facing us so I was unable to see their faces clearly.

Beside me, Aedus stopped as well and turned his head towards the direction of my eyes. His face loosened when he saw what I was looking at.

“That’s my uncle. He is the one who accompanied me here today.”

“Oh! Is that the Knight Commander!”

“Ah… Not quite right. The current Knight Commander is my father. He is my father’s younger brother, Sir Donovan Warren Swenson,” Aedus explained.

I instantly realised my mistake. What I was talking about was what was going to happen seven years in the future.

So this was how the future Knight Commander looked in his youth... I studied the man with dark brown hair similar in shade to Aedus with sparkling eyes. Even when standing in front of Diana, he was half a head taller than her. His hair was grown out and tied back in a low ponytail with a black ribbon. On his raven black coat with silver trimmings, a gold badge embossed with the picture of a Lion shone brightly from the reflection of the sun.

Donovan was a minor character in the light novel series but was very popular due to his charming looks and gentlemanly behaviour - different from a certain frivolous nephew. After the heroine was found to be a magician, he took in the heroine and her mother and gave them jobs as well as a roof over their head. When the heroine started school, he became her official guardian and would often enter the Academy to check on the heroine’s well-being. Apart from being the voice of reason, he was also a person that the heroine and her friends could rely on in time of need. He was one of my favourite character as well - because who can resist the charm of a gentlemanly, older man? Teehee.

“I wonder what they are talking about,” I murmured as I once again wished I had ears as good as Diana. The two of them had been talking for a while, but as we were too far I was unable to make out their voices.

All of a sudden, a sweet smile floated up on the older man’s face.

Ah, he was just as good looking when he was younger, I admired… Before my eyes bulged.

In a swift and well-practised movement that looked like slow motion to me, Donovan reached out to take Diana’s hand and bent slightly before bringing the back of her hands to his lips.

I gasped.

“This is!”

Was he flirting with Diana? Is this one of those forbidden love between a noble and a servant? No, but look at how impassively Diana is rubbing the back of her hand on her black and white maid uniform, she is definitely unwilling!

In that moment, I felt like my world had cracked into pieces.

“Lady Liliana? Where have you been? I was looking for you.”

My outburst had not escaped the attention of Diana. As Diana’s eyes locked onto my figure, I could see that her question had brought Donovan’s attention to me as well.

I stiffened my back and reflexively took a step back.

Wait, this was not the time for me to back down. If Diana had just been harassed, I should be the one stepping forward for her now!

I took a deep breath and strode forward with my chest held high.

Beside me, Aedus had an anxious expression on his face but quickly followed.

“Excuse me. I am Liliana Gracia Remington, the daughter of the Remington household. I see that you have become acquainted with my personal maid. Is there anything that I can help you with?” I asked as I tilted my chin up to look at the tall man.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Diana’s lips part slightly in surprise.

The target of my unconcealed hostility looked at me with a faintly bewildered expression before he looked like he understood something and gave an affable smile.

“Pleased to meet you. It is my first time visiting this place so I accidentally lost my way. Luckily, I met Miss Diana over here who has been very helpful.”

Diana placed her hands in front of her dress and followed up collectedly, “It seems like there has been some misunderstanding. I was just helping the visitor here to the guest lounge since he got lost.”

“Hmmm… Is that so?”

I narrowed my eyes at the ‘visitor’. I might be a shut-in but I had enough common sense to know how odd it was for a noble to kiss the hand of a servant. To add on, Diana was beautiful with sharp features and a willowy figure. I have always felt that it wouldn’t be strange at all for a weird, plump and lecherous noble to eye her as his potential mistress! The reason why it has not happened was probably because her mistress was a person who did not step out of her house much.

“I would like to apologise for not introducing myself earlier. I am Donovan Warren Swenson, a Knight from the Golden Lion Platoon,” Donovan tried to melt the cold atmosphere with a warm smile and even bent slightly to show me his Lion badge.

Humph, was he trying to win me over by showing off that he was in the most prodigious Knight Platoon? That might work on other kids, but not on me!

“I know.”

The temperature immediately dropped a few degrees at my biting words.

I will never forgive a person who hits on Diana! Especially not when I had always believed the person was the perfect gentleman! No, what if he was actually the one who caused Aedus to turn out frivolous? Return my pure feelings to me!

“What are the four of you doing here?”

The person who saved us from standing around awkwardly was my mother with a perplexed expression.

72