Extra Chapter – A Maid’s Resolution (Part 2)
1k 6 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Diana! Welcome. It is good to see you again. I was surprised to hear that you would be coming to the capital." 

It was the first time I entered the platoon leader's office since my mission started. The room didn't seem to have changed much; the files were still threatening to spill off the table, the ink bottles were still placed in random places, but the owner of the room was now the man in front of me. 

Compared to three years ago, Sir Donovan had grown taller and his shoulders broader. His chocolate-brown hair had also grown long enough to be tied into a low ponytail. In just three years, he had also been promoted from vice-platoon leader to platoon leader, which was quite a feat, considering how that father of mine wept tears of joy when he was promoted up a rank after eleven years of service. Now that I thought about it, have I ever congratulated him on his promotion?

"It is good to see you too, Sir Donovan," I greeted back as I gave a bow.

The man flashed a bright smile. "There is no need to be so formal. Here, take a seat. You must be here because of our discussion the previous time, right? This will probably take some time, so let us chat at ease." 

I took a seat on the brown leather sofa as he directed, while the man approached a small wood burning stove at the side of the room. He lifted the lid of the kettle to check its contents before tilting his head back and asking, "Is tea alright with you? Or would you prefer coffee?" 

"I am fine with tea," I answered. It felt strange to have my preferences asked as it was usually the other way round. While I was still spacing out from his question, Sir Donovan had already brought a tray with the tea set over. 

I quickly jumped to my feet. "Please let me do it instead." 

"Are you sure about this?" he asked with a sceptical tone as I took over the tray. 

"I have been doing this for a long time. Please let me handle it. Furthermore, it is unbecoming for a subordinate to let her superior serve her tea,” I replied firmly.

“You don’t need to worry about something like that-”

“Just take a seat,” I sighed as I placed the tray on the coffee table. 

Making a pot of tea had always seemed easy to me until I had to do it myself. To make a good pot of tea, while the quality of the leaves played an important role, it was also essential to get the base right - which was the water. Firstly, the water boiled in the kettle should be freshly drawn cold water and not stale or re-boiled water. Next, we had to measure the amount of tea leaves and make sure that it was proportionate to the water we were planning to put in. While it may seem tedious, each step was important for the flavour of the tea to be brought out correctly. 

Then, we put the tea leaves into the teapot and pour water directly over the leaves. Allow the leaves to steep for five minutes. After five minutes, place a basket strainer over the cup and pour the tea so that any leaves will be caught by the strainer.

And now, the tea can be served. 

"Please enjoy your tea." 

Sir Donovan lifted the teacup to his lips, and then with an unnecessarily touched expression, he exclaimed, "T-this is delicious! What have you been learning over there Diana? None of the knights here has ever made something close to this!" 

"Thank you for your commendation,” I replied dryly at his exaggerated response. “The first pot of tea I made in the Marquis’ house was quite a disaster actually. Even the nanny who was a person very particular about manners was unable to swallow down the bitter liquid,” I recalled with a wry smile.

“However, not only did Lady Liliana finish the whole cup, she also said, ‘This tastes pretty alright if you eat it together with the eclair’. Isn’t she a strange child?”

Sir Donovan laughed at my imitation of the young lady’s voice. “I can definitely imagine the young lady saying something like that.”

“After that incident, I spent all my free time practising how to make a good pot of tea. To the extent that the kitchen staff complained to the Head Butler about me wasting the tea leaves,” I confessed.

And if I didn’t remember wrongly, that was also the first time I was warned severely by the Head Butler. Naturally, that was not the only mishap I had during my time there. From brushing the lady’s hair to choosing her clothes, it took me a long time to finally learn how to complete my daily duties as a maid at a competent level.

It was funny how a simple cup of tea could bring back so many memories.

“What is it?” I asked uncomfortably when I noticed the man staring at me with a lopsided grin. 

The smile on Sir Donavan only deepened as he explained, "It is difficult to believe how much you have changed. To me, you have always been the inscrutable girl who wiped the floor with the other squire during the qualifying exams. When I saw you the first time at the Remington family’s estate, I was really surprised at the difference."

His hazel eyes seemed to glow as he continued, "You have really grown up to become a wonderful young lady, Diana." 

"Sexual harassment."

"P-pardon?" The man opened his mouth in surprise at my unexpected words. 

"Lady Liliana would call this 'sexual harassment'," I answered with an icy voice. "And 'power harassment'."

"I'm not very familiar with the terms you just used but I apologise if you have been offended in any way…" 

"I was just making a joke, Sir Donovan."

"A joke you say…"

"This is for teasing me so much." Just like what happened in the mansion, I knew that he was just teasing me for changing so much since the first time we met. Honestly, I would be shocked too if my past self met the current me.

Furthermore, I had known Sir Donovan for years, so I knew that he was a straight-laced person despite his appearance. He never flaunted his wealth and status and treated his subordinates evenly and firmly. Lady Liliana on the other hand… She never really paid any attention to the line between servants and master. She could even say things like hoping that I could become her older sister easily. 

"Sir Donovan should be more careful or you might be misinterpreted. Lady Liliana was really upset when she thought that I was being harassed. It was troublesome to calm her down,” I said as I heaved a sigh.

The man grimaced. Perhaps he was recalling Lady Liliana’s cold attitude towards him that day. 

"But it means that you mean a lot to the young lady," he said lightly after recovering. “You should have shared more of your experiences in your reports to me if it was so interesting. All your reports were so curt and to the point.”

Not understanding what this man was grumbling about, I just shrugged. “I was fulfilling my duties by only updating what was necessary.”

All of a sudden, Sir Donovan's expression turned serious and he started to rub his hands together. "I am sorry to bring this up now, but about the request you made to extend the duration of your mission… It seems like that will be quite difficult."

So we were finally talking about the main topic I was here for. That was the request I brought up during his visit to the Remington family’s estate. I had such intentions for a while, but as there was still some time before my contract ended, I was debating on when would be a good time to bring it up. I took the chance when he visited as I was unsure when would be the next time I would meet him in person.

"Did the Marquis refuse my request?" While I was aware that I was still lacking in many places, I have never heard complaints from either the Marquis or the Marquise.

"Oh no, Lord Remington has always been pleased with your work." 

I frowned. Then what would be the problem? 

"If I am not able to extend for another four years, then perhaps just two? Lady Liliana's magic is still unstable so I wish to stay there until she has her charge at least."

Sir Donovan made a difficult expression as he corrected me, "On the contrary, it was because you made an excellent impression on His Majesty. He was impressed by your skills the previous time you came to the Royal Palace and hopes to grant you the official title of a 'Knight' after you complete your mission next year." 

"You must be pulling my leg. I hardly did anything during that attack." That was the truth. As my main role is to protect Lady Liliana, I'll always stay by her side during the attacks so my actual contribution to combat was always little to none. 

"Well, in any case, the request you made is highly unlikely to go through. I'll just like you to know the circumstances first."

I took in a deep breath. "I understand." 

Looking sympathetic, he asked, "I understand that you have an attachment to Lady Liliana, and are worried about her, but don't you look forward to becoming a Knight? That is your longtime goal, isn't it?" 

"My goal, huh..." I looked down at my hands. Unlike the flawlessly manicured hands of the noble young ladies, my hands were calloused from holding the sword and my nails were trimmed close. Knighthood was easy for me as I had held a sword since I was young. Even before I came to the capital, I had been hearing all sorts of stories from my relatives about their lives in the dorms, the accomplishment they felt whenever they completed a mission, and the fraternity forged between fellow knights. I might have looked up to that kind of lifestyle before, but what about now?

“Diana, have you kept in touch with any of the squires while you were away?” 

I was puzzled by his question but I shook my head. “No. I was not very close to any of them.” In fact, as I left in a hurry I wonder how long it took for them to realise I was missing? On the other hand, as this mission needed a measure of secrecy, it may be better for them not to know where I was. 

While wearing a downcasted expression, Sir Donovan replied, “Is that so...”

A heavy silence hung in the air before he threw his next question at me.

"Have you discussed about your intentions to extend the duration of your mission with your parents?" 

I thought that it was a rather strange question. Didn’t he already speak to my parents about it? 

"Not yet. I came here right after I reached the capital."

Sir Donovan drummed his fingers on his lap. In a gentler tone, he elaborated, "You should have a good talk with them. I hear that your mother has been boasting about her daughter being a female knight with the other noblewomen. She seems to be looking forward to you coming back to the capital." 

I lifted my hand to feel the envelope tucked under my coat. "I know." 

I have never understood my mother's attraction to the life of a 'noble lady', and there were many times where we fought because of our differences regarding that. But at the same time, I could never make myself come to dislike her. 

“It is my personal wish for you to return to the capital, but I will respect your decision. So please do what you think is best for you.”

*****

I went back to my house in the afternoon after my meeting with Sir Donovan. My parents were overjoyed to see me, and I too, could only smile as they fussed over me. Dinner with them was also a lot more enjoyable than I had remembered. And then, until I went to bed, none of them spoke about the contents of the letter they had written to me. Perhaps they thought that my action of returning home was enough proof that their daughter was returning to them soon. 

During the last three years, I exchanged letters with my family infrequently, and never visited them. Not because the Marquis was a hard worker, but because I had always declined the offer for a vacation. I had always argued that remaining by Lady Liliana’s side was more important as my duty. Even during the occasion I accompanied Lady Liliana to the capital for her meeting with the First Prince, I did not make time to pay them a visit. 

If I were to dig a little deeper into my heart, it was easy to recognise that the true reason was because I found it difficult to face them and their expectations. However, as I looked at how elated my parents were at seeing me, it was the first time I thought that I might have been an unfilial child.

As I stared at the ceiling of the bedroom that felt both alien and nostalgic, I slowly closed my eyes.

...

...

"Diana! Diana!" Accompanied by a soft but incessant knocking on the door, a familiar voice called my name in a hushed whisper. 

My eyes whipped open. I must have been too tired for me to notice the commotion earlier. I quickly jumped out of bed. 

"Father? What's the matter? Calling for me at this time." Even with the heavy curtains, I could tell that the light was still weak outside. There was probably some time before dawn broke. 

When I opened the door, my father had an abnormally serious look on his face as perspiration dampened his face. He was also dressed in his knight uniform, which means that he must have just returned from work. There was something that didn’t match up. He should have retired to his chambers after dinner last night. Why is he still wearing his uniform? I immediately had a bad premonition about what was happening. 

“Diana, listen to me carefully. I am not sure if this is the right time, but I think that you should know,” my father had a deep crease between his brows as he glanced furtively at me. 

“The young lady that you serve - Lady Liliana - It seems like she was involved in a kidnapping incident.”

 

Thanks for reading!

I really enjoy reading comments, so please don't forget to leave a comment and favourite the chapter!

28