Chapter 4. Younger Brother
970 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theodore von Bellux, the 2nd capture target.

He was a cunning boy who could easily charm others using his beautiful smile. His vast knowledge has gained him the trust of those around him. He was a genius who's a proud person and full of confidence. Having lived through a painful childhood as an adopted son of the Grand Duke family, he swore to one day get revenge on the one who had made him suffer the most, that was his elder sister.

The only daughter of the Bellux didn't like to have any siblings. She hated the boy the moment they met since she didn't want to share her "belongings" with some lowly brat from a branch family. Her parents are hers. The mansions, the lands, the servants, and all of the wealth of the Bellux Family are hers from the beginning and will always be hers. She won't give anything to the boy, even a tiny bit.

Thus, seeing her parents cherished the boy like their own child, she detested him even more. But she couldn't risk upsetting her parents, that's why she always bullied him when they weren't around. Under the pretext of teaching the boy the ways of nobles, she would abuse him verbally. She reprimanded him for something a commoner like him obviously wouldn't know, saying that the low-born him was not suitable to become an heir, that no matter what, an outsider like him couldn't become one of the Bellux, etc. And the boy didn't fight back at all, he couldn't.

From then on, things escalated quickly, and verbal abuse turned into physical abuse. But the villainess didn't get her own hands dirty. She allowed the servant assigned as the boy's maid to beat him whenever no one's around. That maid was bribed, and the villainess told her how to cleverly hurt the boy in places hidden by the clothes. So no one noticed, even the parents. Thus, the wicked maid gladly accepted the "luxury" and carried it out continuously. For a year, the boy could only endure alone silently while living in hell. Until one day, he changed completely.

His heart had painted black, turning the quiet boy into a cunning, black-bellied fox. He pretended to submit to the elder sister, acting all sweet while begging for forgiveness, and slaving himself to whatever demand she had of him. He would do anything to get to the villainess' good side. But all of that was just part of his plan.

The arrogant Grand Duke's daughter was weak against such an attitude of licking one's boots. In no time, she let her guard down and fell into the trap. She didn't realize that her loyal dog of a little brother had been collecting evidence of her misconduct. This continued until they entered the Royal Academy.

Meeting Elena and seeing her being treated like he was by the elder sister, just boiled his blood all the more. So when it's time for the judgment to come, he was actually the one who gave the hardest blow by the sheer amount of evidence he had collected. With those irrefutable proofs, the villainess had no way out of her crimes, thus closing all her escape routes.

When the Emperor lightened her punishment, the little brother was as mad as the crown prince. He loved Elena because the girl had saved him from loneliness and his own darkness by reminding him of what it is to be loved. That's why he couldn't forgive the villainess for hurting his beloved. He even swore to kill her himself if one day the villainess ever showed her face in front of them again.

As Elena set out on a journey to save the world, he joined her group as a strategist and an archer. When they found out that the villainess was the king of monsters, he didn't seem as surprised and even remarked coldly, "I told you, we should have killed her back then."

The hatred runs deep, really.

I shivered when I recalled what happened in the game. Players had called his route as a thrilling-slightly-dangerous route for some reason. The in-game Theo was a borderline psycho. He was a possessive type of lover who would do anything to keep his beloved by his side. He would make it so she won't be able to live without him and even won't hesitate to lock her up if she ever tried to leave him. And he would do all of that while still putting on that beautiful smile of his. In his bad end where Elena ended up getting killed, he tortured the villainess before killing her and ended his life too afterward. That was the worst bad end in the game.

I was conflicted because of that. Getting that kind of person as a little brother, I'd feel uneasy whenever I interact with him since I wasn't sure what would trigger him. Being able to hear his mind also didn't help much as that kind of change in personality often happens too sudden for even one's mind to follow. The game didn't show much of his days before he entered the Bellux family, so just based on his reaction towards the bullying before he turned into a psycho, I assumed that his original personality was an extreme introvert and kind-of gloomy.

This was why I thought that Clara would be perfect for him since she had a cheerful and bright personality yet wasn't overbearing. Clara would be able to pull his hand when he needs to step forward, and at the same time, would be able to stop him from running wild. So I planned to introduce both of them when she visits the mansion later and give them time alone together as much as possible so they can get to know each other better. I would still keep an eye on them, of course. In case something goes wrong with Theo, I wouldn't like it if Clara gets hurt. And then, when Theo's mental condition stabilized, I thought I could also interact with him normally. That was what I thought, but...

"Theo, how's the steak? Do you like it?"

"Yes, it's delicious."

When Theo answered him while smiling brightly, Grandfather's hearty laugh resounded in the dining hall. He grabbed a large roasted chicken thigh and put it on Theo's plate.

"Then eat as much as you like. You're so skinny, you need to put some meat in your body."

"Dear, don't just fill his plate with meat, he needs to eat vegetables too. That is not healthy."

But Grandmother immediately put the chicken away and got him some salad instead.

"What's with that? Theo said he likes delicious meat, so let him eat it."

"No. He needs a balanced diet for his body to be healthy again."

"S-sir, oh, I mean, G-grandpa and Grandma, I will eat properly, so please don't fight!"

Grandfather shot a sharp glare the moment Theo unconsciously called him with an honorific. But his attempt to stop the little argument was just━

(━sooo cute!!! How can this boy be so cute?! He's just like a small kitten! Adorable! Oh, of course, my darling Eira is the cutest, but still!!)

You're so noisy, Grandpa! But I agree, he's so cute! What the hell? Is this kid really Theo? THAT Theo?!

The difference between Theo in the game and this Theo was so big that I couldn't believe it. His black hair and yellowish-green eyes were the same, but his personality wasn't like what I remember. If he's normally like this, just how could this cute little kitten turn into such a psycho? Don't tell me, it's because of Eira? The game indeed mentioned a lot that she had been bullying and enslaving him for years, but I didn't think it would be so bad that it changed him completely.

...No. I remember now. There's that accident which is the final push for him to turn like that. ...Then, isn't this good?

If I didn't bully him and avoided that accident, Theo would stay like this. Apart from Father who chose him, also Grandfather and Grandmother who were already doting on him, Mother seemed to like Theo too. So I won't have to worry that he's lonely since he surely would be showered by love from now on. I mean, just looked at them. No wonder the spoiled villainess was jealous, Grandfather and Grandmother were all over him while Father and Mother watched him with such warm eyes.

As for his love for Elena, I guessed if it's like this, I wouldn't have much say in that. Without his psycho tendencies, Theo would be a great man just like Father. There would be no problem if Elena chooses him, but I doubted he would still fall in love with her by then. Well, a little rivalry on love would be a good spice for their friendships, right? So, it's alright, I guess.

(Uuh… This is all good… But is it really alright?)

That was Theo's thought just now. When I looked at him, he had a gloomy expression on his face. Suddenly, a scene flashed inside my mind. It showed the in-game Theo making the same face as Theo in front of me right now. Seemed like my guess wasn't really off the mark. Something must have happened before Theo came here.

Let's ask Father.

[***]

After the lively dinner, I immediately followed Father to his study. When I asked him about Theo, he looked calm and answered me readily. But the more I listened to him, the deeper the frown on my forehead became.

Theo was an orphan. His father died when he was barely 2 years old, thus his memory of his father was close to none. From then on, his mother was the sole pillar who supported their family. Unfortunately, she also died 3 years later from overworking and leaving Theo all alone.

He was sent to an orphanage which is 3 cities away from where his parents used to live. The orphanage condition wasn't really good yet wasn't bad either. But sometimes the competition between children living in an orphanage can be compared to the rules of the jungle. The weak would be left behind or be prey on by the strong. And that was what exactly happened to Theo. He was just 5 years old and one of the youngest at that time, so the older children often treated him poorly. They would rob him of his share of food, making him the last one to take a bath, or forbidding him to play with them. The matron was a kind woman, but since she managed the orphanage alone, her hands were full, and she couldn’t pay enough attention to every child.

If she is short on hands, why didn’t she hire some staff? Are you sure she didn’t take the donation money for herself?

Theo lived in that condition for at least 2 years until his relatives came to pick him up. This relative was one of his father's cousins. They lived near the Royal Capital and seemed to be a fairly well-off family. Though in reality, they were in a pinch. Their family had 4 children already plus one that was still in the belly. Also, they indulged in a glamour lifestyle despite having a mediocre income. In short, they needed money. That's why they intended to take custody of Theo after they found out about the money which his father had saved for Theo's future.

As expected, staying with that kind of family, Theo’s life didn’t get any better but became worse instead. His uncle and aunt ignored him most of the time and his cousins were fiercer than the kids at the orphanage. Adding to those bad treatments he usually received at the orphanage, they would hit him like a punching bag whenever they're mad or treated him like a servant by shoving all the house chores they should be doing to him. There's even one time when they "accidentally" locked him in the dark and dusty attic for a whole day, claiming that they forgot about him after they ordered him to pick some old toys there.

Why would a sad past of a main character almost always include child abuse? No wonder Theo has a dark shadow hovering his heart. He only met bastards his whole life.

Theo endured another 4 painful years before the Bellux adopted him. He finally would receive the love he deserves, but who would have known that the most wicked villainess was waiting for him there. Just one year was enough to change him into a psycho. And it also needed just one genuinely kind act to completely steal his heart.

Theo was truly pitiful. I nearly stormed out the door to find those bastards and punish them, but I wasn't only angry at them.

"Father, did you know about this all along?" Why didn't you do anything?

I had to refrain myself from voicing the last sentence. If not, I would start lashing non-stop. I knew Father had kept track of him long enough to know about these details. And seeing how he watched him at dinner just now, I knew Father was fond of him. Yet he didn't do anything to help Theo up until now.

Father noticed my slightly cold tone and sharp glare. With a helpless smile, he answered my unvoiced question.

"Child adoption is not an easy and short process. Even more so, if the child is going to be adopted into a noble family. The child has to meet some standards, and our family also has to go through several screening procedures. The Balfour family is indeed one of our branches, but they're the closest one to him in terms of blood relations, so by law, they'll mostly win any court demands if there's no evident harm done to him."

"Blood relations aren't always the thing that makes you a family."

As soon as he mentioned blood relations, I felt like something heavy just dropped in my stomach. I'm not sure why but it irritated me so much that I unconsciously cut Father's words. But hearing my rough remarks, somehow Father looked very pleased. His grin when he continued his explanation was suspiciously broad that it made the veins on my head throbbing.

"Well, it's not like we couldn't proceed with the adoption process at that time. But the Balfour was one step ahead of us while I was pondering something else." (I wouldn't know what to do if Eira hates having siblings so suddenly.)

Are you blaming me?! I never said that! I mean, I was anxious, but I don't hate it! Also, you're the one who didn't say anything up until the engagement was announced!

"Since Theo's still underage and they already became his legal guardians, I have to go through them if I want to support him. But that's meaningless because the money would never reach him." (Those Balfour folks only know how to waste money after all.)

So there's nothing that can be done besides waiting for the adoption process to be completed? It's good that nobles can't act with impunity, but I can't help but feel frustrated at times like this…

Father saw my pouting face and got up to sit beside me. A wide smile still plastered across his face, he patted my head gently to pacify me.

"For my daughter to be this angry, I'm glad that you're already fond of your younger brother. Theo's life was hard, but we can give him love from now on, right?" (I'm worried since Eira didn't show much interest in others. But she's indeed a kind child, I'm sure they will get along just fine.)

I meekly nodded. After hearing his explanation and thoughts, I couldn't be angry anymore. And it's also true that my attitude had given the impression I hated being around people. In the end, it's all in the past, nothing could be done.

I asked a few more questions before leaving the study. As I closed the door behind me, Mother called out to me. I didn't realize, but it seems like she had been waiting for me for quite some time. She wore a nightgown under her housecoat, already prepared to go to sleep. Father usually works late into the night, so he often told Mother to go ahead and sleep without him.

"What's the matter, Mother?"

I walked to her, puzzled. She didn't utter a word and just observed my face, probably looking for an upset or dissatisfied expression. My mother, Mira, was a woman with few words, so it helps that I could hear people's thoughts.

(Eira didn't get mad, thank goodness.)

See, she just smiled in relief without saying anything like this. She's an expert at reading between the lines though, and there's almost nothing that I can hide from her.

“Let’s go to bed now.”

She caressed my plump cheek and said softly. Looks like Mother had told the maids to prepare a hot bath for me, before going to sleep.

“Yes, Mother.” Thank you, I need that right now.

Mother accompanied me to my room. I thought she would retire to her room while I took my bath, but she stayed and dismissed the maids, saying to finish for the day. Drying and combing my hair gently, she pampered me after so long. We even slept together that night. It's as if she was trying to say that although now there was Theo as the heir, it didn't mean that their love for me would fade.

(Eira, my beloved daughter, always.)

I should be used to it by now. But hearing my family's thoughts about me was still very embarrassing. It always reminded me of how blessed I am.

38