Chapter 7. A Snake in The Grass
924 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During breakfast, I told everyone about Clara's visit. Father gave his approval then Mother ordered the maids to prepare a room for her stay. Clara was going to stay for 5 days and 4 nights at our mansion. In her letter, she said she only wants to stay for 2 days and 1 night. But Father told me to let her stay longer since it's exhausting to travel back after resting for just one night.

The Empire's transportation technology might be the most advanced in the world, but it still wasn't on the same level as Earth. Some trains connected cities and territories, but they're not as fast as the bullet train and were steam locomotives fueled by Magic Stones instead of coals. Trams only ran within big cities, so horse carriages were still the main transportation modes. 

Water transportation only existed in places that have more water bodies than lands like port towns, but they were all just small fishing towns. No one had gone across the sea and came back after all. The same could be said for the sky. Some research had been done on air transportation, but nothing worked until now. One of the reasons that hindered further development was that more dangerous monsters roamed in the water and the sky. Because of that, the sea and the sky were untouched regions filled with mysteries to this world's people.

The distance between the Grand Duchy of Bellux and Rockwood County where Clara's family lived was roughly 20 miles with few challenging terrains along the way. Under these circumstances, it's ridiculous to make a 10-hour round-trip on such a tight schedule. Not just the horses and the coach, the carriage passenger must be dead tired too. That was why I had planned to ask Clara to stay longer, even though Father didn't mention it. Or otherwise, the treasure hunt wouldn't serve its purpose too. So I thank you, Father. 

But I didn't think he would invite her to stay for almost a week. Moreover, not just Father, the adults were all visibly and “audibly” excited about her visit more than me.

“Clarabelle is your roommate, right?” (The girl from Claire Company. I’ve been interested in their famous imported fabrics. Maybe I can make new outfits for Theo soon.)

“That's right, Mother.” Does she know about Clara's father's company? She indeed likes fashion and making clothes for the family. I guess she had been aching to make some clothes for Theo all this time.

“Oh, that girl. The one you once helped in your first year.” (Products from Claire Company are high-quality too. Making a deal with them seems interesting indeed.)

“Yes, you remember.” As expected of Father. Clara's father seems to be an enthusiastic merchant. I'm sure he will come up with something interesting. 

“This summer is sure to be a lot of fun.” (Eira invited her friend to the house for the first time, I’m so relieved.)

“I’m sure it would.” Please stop, Grandma. You made it sound like I don't have any friends… Well, true that there's only Clara, but still.

“You should invite your friends over to our house more often.” (But only girls are allowed. If they are boys, I won’t let them pass the gate. ...No, it’s better to kick them out before they enter the city, just like those pests.)

“Of course, if the opportunity arises.” Now, wait, Grandpa. It's not like boys would ever visit me, but what do you mean by that? And who are you calling pests?

...By the way, Father’s and Mother’s thoughts sound like they are linked to each other again.

When I listened to my parents' thoughts, I sometimes found that they were thinking about the same thing. I wondered if it's because they were a married couple. But then, Grandfather and Grandmother were the complete opposite from them. My grandparents almost always bickered like cats and dogs, even in their thoughts. But there are also times when they were completely in sync, like now.

(The friend will arrive in two days… That's the same day as the first day of the 1st Army's training camp. Henry asks me to watch over them, but it's not like they're doing anything different. It's always the same every year, it's boring.)

It's a part of their training regiment, Grandpa. How could you say it's boring? This is one of the reasons it is hard to believe that you're a former general.

(Aah~ Marchioness Eveford invited me to come to her garden party on that day. I've been avoiding her party. The people there are just talking about worthless things. But she's been whining for me to come lately… Why doesn't she stop holding such parties if she's bored herself?)

I'm sure Grandma knows well why. Those parties are baits meant for keeping the lower nobles in-check. That's one of the duties of the higher-rank noble families, right?

I had a bad feeling. Most of the time they got like this, Grandfather and Grandmother were up to no good after all.

(They're doing that all the time. No need for me to be always there as well, right? Besides, I’m fed up with watching big burly guys!)

(Oh well, no one expects me to come anyway. I'm sure Eveford won't be angry if I don't attend one or two more times.)

See? I could already guess what they are planning. Both Grandfather and Grandmother were respected elders with a lot of experience in their field of expertise, but now they were just retirees who wanted to spend their time leisurely. So their intention was understandable, but...

((Let's skip! Then I can play with the children!))

Please do your work!

"Grandpa and Grandma, Father and Mother as well, please don't worry about the guest reception. I believe I can handle it. Besides, all our skilled servants are here to help me, so please leave it to us and have peace of mind while you're working."

I felt bad for Grandfather and Grandmother, but looking at how people still relied on them so much has made me proud. I wanted them to do their work properly. Also, for my plan to begin as smoothly as possible, I didn't want the adults to join us yet. Children usually got nervous if there were unfamiliar adults around them while they played, right? Moreover, if those adults were a big bear-like ex-army commander and a strict-looking noblewoman. Although the inside was just an idiot doting gramps and a lenient kind granny, there's no way Clara would know that.

“Alright. Our Eira is already a Lady after all.”

“We know you can do it, my dear.”

((Whaaat~ But if my dear Eira say so, your grandpa (grandma) will do his (her) best!))

It's both funny and a bit disappointing how their dignified appearance differs from the inside of their heads. I didn't hate it though. It could be annoying at times, but it also showed that they were loving people. So, I didn't really mind their doting.

“Thank you, Eira. I have to go out with your mother that day. But we all can have dinner together in the evening, so it would be great if President Claire can stay until then.”

“I am looking forward to meeting him.”

Father thanked me as he smiled gently. He seemed delighted at my little declaration. Mother also smiled excitedly as she clapped her hands. Seeing the pride in their smiles, suddenly I felt embarrassed. I was just going to welcome my friend, nothing to be proud of about that.

“I’ll make sure to invite him to dinner.”

When a merchant visited a noble, they must have come with a business purpose. Usually, they wanted to get permission to expand their business in said noble's territory, or to get an endorsement to promote their products in the high society. Claire Company was well known among the ladies in high society already, so Clara's father's purpose was most likely the first.

The Grand Duchy of Bellux had a vast territory that included several towns surrounded by fertile agricultural land and plantations. We even had a forest and a mountain. Although the Bellux were experts in magic technology, our territory's main products were agricultural products and medicinal herbs. So we bought other necessities like textile products and building materials from other territories. 

Well, we did know about the magic technology to make all our ends meet, but if we produced everything ourselves it might disrupt the economy. As a noble family, we had to support the citizens' livelihood, and stimulating trade between territories was one way. If the citizens' life was guaranteed, then the Empire would continue to prosper too. 

With that in mind, Father easily guessed that the president would definitely come with his daughter. In order not to offend the Grand Duke, he might use the excuse that he was escorting his daughter. Then he took that opportunity to introduce himself briefly before going home. But since Father invited him to dinner, I guess there's no need for him to go out of his way like that. I bet he would be overjoyed when he heard it from Clara.

That reminds me… “Father, how about your work? I heard that you haven't been back to the Royal Palace since coming home for my birthday two months ago.”

Father was the Prime Minister. Was it alright for him to be away from the Royal Palace for so long? Wouldn’t the Emperor be angry?

"It's fine. I've been working from home and communicating with people in the palace through the Magic Device, so there's no problem."

 "I see."

Compared to the slow development of transportation technology, telecommunication technology using magic was growing rapidly. It's already so advanced that not only sound but pictures could also be displayed when communicating. It's very much the same as the "video call" that people used back on Earth, although it was more sophisticated here since we didn't use a screen anymore but a holographic display instead. 

The Magic Device that could produce the holographic display was expensive, of course, so it's nearly impossible for commoners to buy it. Even devices that only transmitted voices were still a bit pricey, so only people who needed it for their work would have it. 

Honestly, I felt uncomfortable every time I saw a holographic display. It had the same design as the status screen and the conversation screen in the game, so it always reminded me of my predetermined fate. Well, I guess it was more worthwhile to do something about this fate of mine rather than to find and demand the designer of the display to change their design. 

"Still, you've been away for too long. You should return to the palace, Francis. Or it'll be hard to calm the chaos down." 

"That's the plan, Mother. We will return after we visit the city hall, and Mira also wants to check the Royal Villa. Anyway, the chaos is still within control. Please rest assured."

As a former Court Lady, Grandmother reminded Father of the chaos as in the always-hectic Royal Court. He apparently shared her mind and had already finished the preparation, so he and Mother could leave for the Royal Capital immediately after they checked over our Grand Duchy's capital city hall and the Royal Villa. 

Father and Mother currently resided at our second mansion at the Royal Capital. As the current head of the Grand Duchy of Bellux, the responsibility to manage the territory should be Father's. But since he's already busy being the Empire's second-in-command, he appointed a proxy to do it. Father still inspected the territory's situation directly from time to time. And reports were sent from the city hall regularly.

Other than the capital city, there was the management of the other towns. Each of these towns had a proxy of the Grand Duke who acted as Mayor. Each of them also reported to the Grand Duke, but as it was too much to add to Father's already-heavy workload, the Grand Duchess took the duty to supervise them. There's some discontentment when Mother took over since she didn't have any experience in government. But she was doing much better than everyone expected, so now everything was going smoothly.

Mother was also in charge of the Royal Villa. As the name suggested, it was a country house owned by the Royal Family which was used mainly for vacation. That's where they stayed for 3 days to attend my 13th birthday party. Although rarely used, the villa's maintenance was performed continuously so that the Royal Family could stay there at any time.

Since they retired, Grandfather and Grandmother lived at the main mansion in our territory. Theo was also here with them now. Unlike most noble residences that were built in their capital city, ours was built at the outskirts of the territory. It was near the foot of the mountain and surrounded by woods, it was perfect for me who hates crowded noisy places. But I currently also stayed at the Royal Capital, precisely at the Secondary School's dorm. Well, I would move to the Royal Academy's dorm in one more year though. 

By the way, following the game plot, Theo would take the entrance exam ahead of time and be also accepted as a first-year student in the same year as me; meaning we would be in the same grade. The big-headed villainess believed that the loyal dog purposely skipped a grade to follow her, not knowing his real intent to get revenge on her. 

Anyway, it's still a matter of the future for me. Whether he skipped a grade or not, whichever was fine as long as I could avoid awakening his psycho side and raising my death flag. That's why I wanted to make sure that the treasure hunt a.k.a the match-making plan produced some positive results. 

[***]

We only finished having breakfast as usual, but somehow, I felt a bit tired. It would be good if the rest of the day was peaceful. 

Theo had recovered from his fever and returned to his calm and cheerful self. I suggested he take it easy for today too, but Theo insisted on taking his lesson. I had no choice but to bring him to the library, but only after I made him agree that we would study just for half a day until lunch.

He had been focused on the book for an hour when he suddenly stopped. Alerted that the "voice" might come up again, I was about to call him. But Theo suddenly looked up and opened his mouth, only to be startled to find I was looking at him. I heard his thoughts as he was hesitating to ask me something.

Now that I think about it, he didn't say anything during breakfast… "What is it?"

I asked Theo who was still a bit shocked, and he could only open and close his mouth without a word coming out. A few minutes later, he finally mumbled.

“...When the guests come, Elder Sister will stop tutoring me for a while, right?”

“...Well, I guess I will.”

“...I understand.” (The guests will stay here for 5 days, so Elder Sister won't be able to accompany me. What should I do during those days? Can I get permission to read in the library alone? I wonder if Father will allow me? I don't want to bother Elder Sister when she spends time with her friend. But I don't want to just shut myself in my room for that long. Oh, or maybe I can borrow some books from the library? But I don’t know which book can be taken out—) 

Wa-wait, wait! Theo, you'll also go with me to meet Clara because I’ll introduce you two and we’ll go on a treasure hunt together!

Hearing Theo's sudden flood of thoughts, I became a little panicked. Thankfully, I remembered to catch my breath before I spoke to him.

“Theo, let’s welcome the guests together. You are the heir of the Grand Duchy of Bellux, you can use this opportunity to practice how we receive guests as a noble.”

“Huh? Ah, I-I understand, Elder Sister.” (I will also receive the guests… Is that okay? I don't quite understand how a noble child should act yet. What if I embarrass Elder Sister? I won’t be able to face everyone ever again… Then, will I become unfit as an heir? If that happens, then—)

Stop! Stop! Why do you have to turn and think negatively about every little thing? Can’t let the voice appear! 

“Don’t worry, Theo. Anyone can make mistakes, it's not embarrassing. Most importantly, you are my younger brother so I want to introduce you to my friend.”

I really couldn’t let my guard down even a bit. Talking to Theo was very taxing for me mentally. When I found out that he was a cheerful kid before the game timeline started, I had hoped that as long as I didn't bully him, he wouldn't hate me and everything else would work out somehow. I regretted that I ever thought that. With the stalemate of my search for that maid, I couldn't prepare many countermeasures plans for the incident too. 

I did do my utmost these past two weeks to treat Theo the best I could, and his thoughts and attitude towards me had indeed improved a lot. But I still couldn't calm down until we successfully avoided the incident and that creepy "voice" disappeared. I really hoped there's a major improvement with Clara's involvement. 

"...Really? Is it true?"

—Oh, no! I was caught in my thoughts, even though I was talking with Theo. Am I getting tired lately? This isn't good. "Of course, it's true."

I answered hurriedly and it felt like a pause button had been pressed. Then suddenly, Theo bowed down his head so deep that his forehead almost hit his desk. I freaked out and subconsciously reached my hand to Theo's forehead, but I stopped mid-way.

(Elder Sister wants to introduce me to her friend as her younger brother… She said I'm her younger brother…)

These sentences kept repeating over and over inside his head as he flushed red all the way until his ears. I wondered if he lowered his head as a reflex to hide his face. He struggled against the swelling urge to cry, and I really didn't know how to handle this kind of situation. I never had any younger kids around me, so I felt awkward every time someone cried in front of me. Even when I helped Clara back then, I just sat beside her and shut my mouth tight while she was sobbing. I had no clue what to say to comfort someone. 

Regarding what I said to Theo, everything was a matter of fact, so I didn't understand why he reacted this way. But then I remembered how bad he had been treated all that time. I guessed it made just this simple acceptance meant a lot for him.

A few minutes passed in silence and I gave up on saying anything. Not long after, Theo looked up again as suddenly as when he bowed down. With slightly red eyes and nose, he forced a messy-yet-somehow-bright smile. 

"Thank you Elder Sister. I will do my best."

I was a bit stunned, but I still replied, with a smile likewise.

[***]

That night, I went to find Grandmother in her room after dinner. Unlike Grandfather, her delighted thoughts almost didn't show on her face when she welcomed me. 

"What's the matter, dear? You hardly ever visit your grandma these days." (It couldn't be helped when you're at school, but Eira hasn't visited me even once since the summer vacation started...)

"I apologize for that, Grandma. Father assigned me as Theo's temporary tutor, so I had been busy teaching him." I know you're lonely, but please bear with it. I am visiting you now, am I not? 

Grandma pulled a chair for me, silently urging me to sit together with her on the balcony. Because it's summer, the weather near the foot of the mountain has been getting warmer even at night. Grandmother loved to spend the night outside for a few hours during this time of year. And sure enough, she was in the middle of enjoying the night's cool breeze while drinking a cup of fresh spearmint tea. 

Giving in to Grandmother’s imploring stare, I obediently sat on the designed chair. With a satisfied smile, she poured me a cup of tea too. Her movement was swift yet full of grace and elegance like what you would expect from one of the most renowned Ladies in high society. All of my mannerisms were taught by Grandmother too. It wasn’t a time I wanted to experience again, but now I was grateful for her. After all, my perfect poker face and fake smile were the most reliable skills that I have learned from her.

"How's Theo? I'm sure he's doing good?"

"Yes, he's an excellent student. He's a quick learner and eager to acquire new knowledge. I was often overwhelmed by his numerous questions."

"Oh? It's rare for you to praise someone so blatantly like this. Well, I've had a feeling that he's a smart boy just like your father." (I'm glad they get along well. It's indeed the best decision to choose Theo.)

"I praise him because he deserves to be praised. Don't you agree, Grandma?" Yeah, I've been having fun teaching him. But I'm not sure about it being the "best" decision. 

If I didn't remember that this world was based on an otome game, I might have been paving my death road right now. Frankly, I didn't have absolute confidence that I wouldn't turn into that villainess. People's hearts are irregular, capricious, and indefinable things. It's difficult enough to understand our own hearts, let alone others. That reality felt even more real to me as someone who could hear those whispers.

"So, what can I do for my sweetheart?"

"*Cough*— Well... I wonder if I can have some of your silver nuggets?" 

Grandmother might be not as shameful as Grandfather, but she would say some embarrassing things now and then with a straight face. I couldn't get used to it, so it always caught me off guard. Luckily, I didn't choke on my tea just now.

"What do you need silver for? Are you going to make some magic amulets?"

As always, she's catching on fast. "Yes. I want to make something for Theo, and I also want to give Clara a gift."

"Oh, how wonderful. All right, how many do you need?"

Seeing Grandmother get up from the chair, I followed her to the closet. Unlike other noble Lady's closets which were full of dresses, accessories, or jewelry, Grandmother had remodeled one-third of her huge closet to become storage for magic stones and raw materials like precious metals and rare woods. I was always amazed every time I entered this place. Even though it was only one-third, this place was 10m² wide, and on each of its walls stood a 3-meter high shelf that reached the ceiling. I guessed this was what it meant to be a "Magic Items Fanatic".

"What kind of Magic Amulet do you want to make?"

Grandmother handed over several silver nuggets with high purity. I still haven't decided on what to make, but this was too much. I won't make something flashy, so maybe a simple necklace would be good for Clara. But Theo already had a locket and a ring would be too eye-catching, so for him, a bracelet was probably the best. 

Alright, a necklace and a bracelet then. Let’s ask Grandma for some advice.

[***]

The next morning, I woke up earlier again, then headed to the nearby woods. After invoking the dark-attribute barrier, I began working to finish the Magic Amulets. 

Yesterday, with the help of Grandmother’s direction, I made the chain of both the bracelet and the necklace. Then we also finished engraving the Magic Circle on the surface of the tiny gallery, where the Magic Stone was held by prongs. Both of these amulets were meant for protection, so the engraved Magic Circles were to activate magic barriers when the wearer was in danger.

Protective Magic Amulets were quite difficult to make, especially the Magic Circle. We had to formulate a semi-autonomous Magic Circle which encompasses the level and attribute of the magic, for how many times it will be able to activate, and under what conditions it will activate and deactivate. It was complicated enough to make, that these kinds of amulets were fairly rare in the market. And it usually only held one kind of barrier magic; even the high-grade ones.

Well, we were actually done with all of the making processes yesterday, so the amulets that were in my hands right now were finished items. But there was something I wanted to change, and unfortunately, I couldn’t do it in front of Grandmother. 

Right now, both of them were engraved with wind-attribute barrier magic that would activate 3 times when it detected approaching offensive magic or an abnormal increase in the wearer’s heartbeat. They were decent protective Magic Amulets, but I wanted to add more magic to it; tracking magic and beginner-level healing magic for emergencies. 

As I said before, making a protective Magic Amulet with one barrier magic was already quite tricky, so adding more magic to finished items like this was very challenging. It would be a pain to explain if Grandmother found out. Also, she wouldn't allow the tracking magic. It's a violation of privacy and would make me look like a stalker, but it was necessary for everyone’s safety so I added it.

An hour later, I finished and it was just as the sun rose, so I walked back to the mansion slowly. I didn’t do any morning exercise, but I felt very tired. 

I skipped two days straight, not good… Ah, but this feels good...

As I began to feel gloomy, the fresh morning wind blew on my face and through my hair. I took a deep breath and the smell of rain-soaked moss, fallen leaves and freshly dug roots filled my lungs. Even though it’s summer, the scent of the forest has barely changed. It always calmed me down

(Heinous demon, dare to live blithely! You shall ruin your family, you wretch!)

But suddenly, cold chills took over my whole body.

33