Preparations (1)
86 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked at prince Eric the exiled fae bartender I met at the 'Drunken Moon'. He had a smug air about him as if he had just pulled a successful prank.

Chloe let out a long-suffering sigh, "Prince, would you please stop with your pranks? We are trying to have a meeting here."

"Why, but of course, you only need to ask. As the savior of my life, I can't possibly refuse to comply with this simple demand."

Finished with his theatrics, he found an empty couch and sat on it with elegance and majesty that would make one believe that it was a throne.

Somehow, he gave an impression of extreme health. His skin, hair, and eyes were glowing. He looked even more enchanting. Even, I, as a straight male could objectively admit it. He felt more, alive if it was possible.

Chloe addressed the only one who didn't speak at this point. The white-haired vampire woman.

"Kalia, I am glad to see you. I do hope Vector isn't posing any issues these days."

"He certainly isn't. it would be hard to, as a pile of ash." Kalia's voice was like the coldest winter. It didn't even remotely possess something akin to human emotions.

Chloe rose one of her brows in surprise. The news Kalia brought was unexpected.

"How?"

"I killed him." The answer was so simple but caused everyone in the room to freeze momentously.

Chloe now had incredulity painted on her face. What Kalia just said was seemingly unbelievable to her and everyone else in this room.

I was startled too. Though, I suppose the reason for it was different compared to the others. She had spoken of the death of this Vector guy, in an unbelievably callous manner.

What shocked me wasn't the killing in itself. Since I became whatever I was, I slaughtered quite a few beings myself. No, the surprising thing was the lack of any kind of emotion. No anger, no sadness, no puzzlement, no relief, no joy or pleasure. Nothing at all.

The word 'inhuman' truly came to mind as I looked at her empty eyes. She either abhorred the guy or simply found his murder to be something incomparably mundane.

"How?" Chloe asked directly.

"I broke the sire-bond." Kalia world rocked the room once again.

I deduced from the stunned silence following her words that breaking a 'sire-bond' was not supposed to be possible.

"This should be impossible," Chloe muttered. But in a room of supernaturals, everything was heard clearly.

"It is not impossible Miss Chloe. There is a case when it breaks naturally." Kalia said suddenly.

"In the case of the death of the sire. Trying to break it otherwise would only kill the sired."

"Indeed, that would be the case except..." She didn't pursue but turned her gaze to the man with the sword. He started before exclaiming.

" A reverse spell."

" Indeed." Kalia agreed with his conclusion.

The man who until now had worn a focus mien that could only be attributed to a warrior or a scholar, now had a shock plastered all over his face.

"Lorn, could you explain?" Chloe asked still confused.

"As you all know," Lorn paused as he looked at me. He then shrugged and continued. "Kalia is the vampire with the most proficiency in blood power usage that exists currently. Even, the older members of your race such as your father would agree. Correct?" He continued and looked at Chloe in confirmation.

As I heard the term 'blood power', I began to recall a certain power Chloe used during our confrontation with that rogue organization.

Chloe and the rest of the room, even Eric, nodded in agreement. I realized that this white-haired woman might be someone famous in the supernatural community.

" What is magic?" The question seemed so random that we were lost. He didn't wait for an answer.

"Magic is simply applying logic or rules to energy to manifest phenomenons." The others nodded along like 'we know this. What does this have to do with our issue here?'

Noticing their impatience, but not caring, Lorn spoke unhurriedly.

" What is blood power? A form of energy derived from blood." Chloe let out a gasp as she realized what he was implying.

"Do you mean that she used magic, to break the bond and kill him?"

Lorn didn't answer directly but continued his explanation.

" Although there was never a vampire able to use magic, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. I believe Kalia, here, is the first to ever accomplish this feat." Lorn threw her an admiring glance.

"I call it 'blood magic' since the origin of the energy required to cast is blood," Kalia said with a tinge of pride.

The first emotion she ever showed since I met her.

"Before our parting last time, she came to me and proposed a theoretical line of thinking. If she was able to cast like when she was still human and a mage what spell would be effective to break the sire-bond."

From his words, I gathered two things. First, Kalia was a mage before she was turned. Second Lorn must also be some sort of mage. If not why would she consult him about magic?

"To answer your question, Miss Chloe, she indeed used magic. I believe she engineered a reverse spell targeted at their sire-bond. Only one as linked to him as she was could have possibly engineered such a spell.

A reverse spell is not like an all-purpose bandage. It needs to be tailored specifically to a particular target.

The most problematic thing with breaking a sire-bond is the backlash that would result from the attempt. This backlash mostly targets the sired and it certainly results in their death.

If not for it, any mage worth his salt should be able to break it easily with an unbinding spell.

With the reverse spell, Kalia managed to avoid the backlash and instead used it to end her maker." His explanation was truly eye-opening for Chloe as she stayed speechless for a moment.

So If I got this right, this Kalia girl did a thing that the entire vampire community as well as the supernatural community at large deemed impossible. One didn't need to be a genius to guess that this act had profound future ramifications for the vampire race. Not to mention, vampires could use magic.

Well, only if they were as gifted as this lady here. I doubt it was a feat easily repeated.

Looking at Chloe, I was sure that she connected the dots and was aware of the implications. I was validated in my guess as a powerful aura surged from her body and sealed the whole room in a red haze.

"Now, don't get me wrong. I thrust every single person here with my life but this is too important.

I want you to promise not to breathe a word of our conversation to any beings, alive or dead. Don't even keep it in mind. As you know, there are beings that can pluck intel right from your mind."

She was dead serious and everyone in the room could feel it.

"Who am I going to tell, apart from you guys, I don't have much in the way of people to talk to. Additionally, I am the one who will be hunted and captured if it ever comes to light. So I promise to keep it to myself." Kalia spoke lightly.

After that, the rest followed suit. Naturally, I too made the promise.

Chloe sighed in relief and released her aura. She massaged her temples as if she had a migraine which was an impossibility, being a vampire. It was proof that she had been rocked by this.

Peculiarly no one seemed to care much for the dead guy, Vector. Even Chloe wasn't bothered by his passing, she was only worried about the circumstances surrounding his death.

Well, I didn't know the guy so I didn't really care. Additionally, I could somewhat deduce that he was an arsehole from Choe's tone when she asked about him. Kalia's callousness was also a pretty strong indicator.

3