Chapter 238 – From the Forest
1.9k 9 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

True to her word, Yuna adapted to the change in pace in record time. For eight hours, she stood at her post at the top of the only thing that separated the village from the forest whose trees were too dense for Yuna to see anything but murky shadows. Another eight she spent sleeping. And the last eight hours, she explored the tiny town and trained.

The mission itself—protecting the village—was quite monotonous. Staring at the silent forest and its impenetrable darkness that hid the monsters that called it home was as dull as it was taxing. The constant vigilance needed clashed with the urge to shut her eyes that only grew heavier as the hours went by. She could tell that it affected Fisher as well, who sometimes gave into the urge and slept. Owl seemed indifferent.

So, Yuna focused on other things while she watched. In the morning hours, she listened to the birds as they sang their morning greetings. In the afternoon, the bustle of the townspeople as they went around their business served as pleasant ambiance for her. At night, she watched the stars that blinked and glimmered in the black canvas of the night. 

But some days these distractions failed. Yuna’s mind would wander about as it hopped from train to train until, without fail, it would stop at the same station it always did. Yuki.

Yuna wondered if Yuki missed her, if Yuki thought about her. When she pictured those clear grey eyes and that silvery hair, her heart clenched. It hurt, but it wasn’t painful nor was it distressful. It was comforting, reminding her of the new found emotions that she had dreamed of experiencing. It drew up determination within her. 

Only once did she have to raise the alarm. It was during the second week of her watch. A small pack of lesser Fenrir wolves had roamed out of the forest and made a beeline for the village. Yuna alerted Carol, but it was more out of protocol than it was out of worry. Fisher and Owl had dealt with the group of five monsters in the same time it took for Yuna to report the sighting.

On the third week, the lieutenant visited them.

“At ease, privates,” the lieutenant said. His voice was low, matching the silence of the night. The only other sounds audible were the chirps of crickets. 

Yuna’s hand went down from the salute they were in at those words, and she relaxed her stance somewhat, still making sure to keep her back straight. Fisher sat back down, cross legged, and folded his arms on top of the battlements as he resumed his watch. Owl followed him.

“How has the watch been?” the lieutenant asked. His tone was softer than Yuna was used to. It sounded less like the commander and more like the soldier.

“It’s been good,” Fisher replied, still staring off into the distance. “Ya know, you should come on out here more. Watch the view. It’s pretty good. Lieutenant Mason.”

The last word sounded almost like an afterthought.

“You know I can’t do that Fisher,” Mason said with a smile. “I ain’t got the time or the freedom to do so.”

Yuna blinked, wondering if she had just misheard. The lieutenant had called Fisher by his nickname and used slang. Two things that headquarters would have frowned upon.

“You always have time for friends, Lieutenant. And freedom? How’re you out here right now then?”

“I’m calling this a, what’s the word, check up? At least, that’s what’s in the books,” Mason smirked. “And cut it out with that ‘Lieutenant’ shit. I hear that thing everyday. We’re friends, right?”

Fisher laughed, shaking his head. He pushed himself to his feet and squared up to the lieutenant. They stared at each other, the lieutenant with a raised eyebrow and Fisher with furrowed ones. Yuna watched them, unsure of what to do. She didn’t know if they were about to fight or even what they would be fighting over. Owl seemed indifferent to it all.

Then the two men smirked before they pulled each other into a hug. Fisher clapped the lieutenant’s back and the lieutenant replied with a squeeze. Yuna let her muscles loosen, though she still didn’t quite understand what was happening.

“Welcome back, you bastard,” Fisher said at last, pulling away first. 

“I never left, you idiot,” Mason frowned.

“Then why you keep harpin’ on my ass out there?”

“Fisher, I am still your lieutenant. That’s my job. And I’ll keep harpin’ on your ass until it isn’t.” Mason looked past Fisher. “That Owl?”

Owl’s head went up at the mention of his name and his head swiveled toward the lieutenant. The lieutenant’s eyes brightened when their eyes met.

“It is. Come here, man,” Mason said, reaching out a hand. Owl smiled and grabbed it, letting the lieutenant pull him up and into an embrace. “How’ve you been doin’?”

“Good. Glad that we can talk like this again,” Owl said in his quiet voice when they broke apart, “Baker.”

“Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while,” Mason grinned. “How’s the watch been? I heard there hasn’t been much action.”

“No there ain’t,” Fisher replied, his disgruntlement coming through his voice. “The most action we got was us blastin’ a few wolves for a solid second.”

“You should be happy about that,” Mason said. “That means less work. And less danger for the folks in the village.”

“I know, Baker, I know. But still, man. Some more action would be nice, ya know?” Fisher said, spreading his hands apart. “No one needs to get hurt. Just some trolls or somethin’ and I’ll be one happy camper.”

“Training ain’t enough action?” Mason grinned as Fisher cringed. Yuna nodded to herself. She could sympathize.

“Hell no. Fuckin’ devil is there.”

“While we’re on the topic, how’s Mama been?” Mason asked. Yuna tilted her head at that.

“You talk to her everyday, man.” Fisher frowned when the lieutenant shrugged. “You don’t?”

“I do. Technically. If you can call professional talk real talk,” Mason sighed. “She tells you guys different things. She’s all upright with me nowadays. Even when it’s just us.”

“That’s because ya left, Baker,” Fisher said. “She gets that as well. The two of you ain’t what it used to be. She’s under you now.”

“Yeah, I know. Still, how is she doin’?”

“She alright. It’s been a few months since ya left. We’re used to it.” Fisher rubbed his chin. “Ya know, you should visit home sometime.”

“The squad?”

“Nah, man. Home. Going by myself every time starts getting borin’. They want to see ya.”

The lieutenant sighed.

“Aight. I’ll drop by. It’s just,” he said, shaking his head, “I’ve been so busy. I really didn’t have time.”

“Yeah, I get that,” Fisher nodded. “I don’t blame ya. Just, after this. For a few days. I’m sure they’ll let ya.”

“I’ll try.” Fisher grinned at that, satisfied. The lieutenant smiled in return. Then his eyes moved away and landed on Yuna.

“Oh. You’re the one that replaced me,” Mason said, reaching out a hand. Yuna shook it, the lieutenant’s grip strong. “What’s your name?”

“I’m called Princess,” Yuna replied. She knew which name the lieutenant wanted. 

“Princess? Fisher, why’s she called Princess?” 

“Uh, well. That’s a bit of a story, but I can summarize it.” Fisher scratched the top of his head. “At first it was ‘cause of her looks. But then she beat crap out of some of us later, so it, uh, became her status.”

“She beat y’all up?” Mason asked with a grin that widened as Fisher avoided his gaze. “Well fuck me.”

“She’s taken, Baker. She ain’t going to do that with you,” Fisher smirked. The lieutenant punched him in the shoulder. 

“That’s not what I meant, jackass,” Mason laughed. His eyes went to Yuna. “But you have someone? What kinda guy is he?”

Yuna frowned. How Fisher knew Yuna was in love with Yuki, she didn’t know. She never spoke about her interests. The only one who could possibly know was Caitlyn and she was back at the headquarters. 

“How did you know?” Yuna asked, looking at Fisher. “I never told anyone.”

“Princess, you sit here and just stare with stars in ya eyes. Pretty obvious. Who is it?”

“She’s someone you don’t know,” Yuna replied. Yuki appeared in her mind.

“And there ya go again,” Fisher grinned. 

“She?” Mason repeated, and eyebrow rising. “You’re into girls?”

Yuna hesitated before giving a small nod.

“Me too,” Mason said with a laugh. “On a more serious note, you should bring her around some time.”

“Baker, ya probably ain’t goin’ to see her.”

“Shut up, man. I still go around doing my rounds, aight? I’ll probably catch a glimpse.”

“Not going to lie, that’s kinda creepy, man.”

“Ah, fuck off, Fisher,” Mason laughed. 

"But, anyway. Baker, I wanted to ask ya somethin'," Fisher said. Mason nodded, waiting for him to continue. "How's the whole goin'? The operation. I heard it ain't goin' so well."

"Then you heard right," Mason sighed. "I'm callin' back the squads. We're havin' a meetin' soon. To discuss what we're goin' to do in the future. You heard we lost a man, right?"

"'Course I did. Callin' things back for one guy seems kinda overkill though."

"It ain't because one man died, Fisher. It's how he died. We don't know what got to him. He disappeared, then his body was found. Well, part of his body."

Yuna didn't like the sound of that.

"That ain't good."

"Bit of an understatement there, Fisher." The lieutenant ran his hand through his hair. "I don't want to lose more men, especially like this. Fuckin' hq isn't tellin' me anythin'. So I'm pullin' back."

"Hey, if it means we can leave earlier, I'm all for it, man," Fisher grinned. "This shit borin'."

"Of course you'll think that," Mason laughed.

Then his smile dropped and his back went rigid. His head jerked to the side as his eyes narrowed. Yuna felt it a few moments later. A wave of dread washed over her, radiating outward from the forest blanketed by the darkness of the night. It was the feeling of menacing mana, the kind one couldn't find in people. Monsters.

“Owl,” the lieutenant said. His voice tightened, turning back to the tone Yuna was familiar with. The one that meant business. “What do you see.”

“Monsters. Coming this way,” Owl replied, his voice low. His eyes were shining as he peered at the forest.

“A lot of them."

62