Chapter 133 – No Answers
4.5k 16 133
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of a metal door opening entered Yuki’s ears. As he opened his eyes, the sound was accompanied by the heavy footsteps, rubber clacking against tile. A chair screeched as someone pulled it out and a man sat down in it with a soft grunt. 

“How do you do, captain?” Yuki asked pleasantly, directing his question to the person across the desk from him.

“It’s been a pain. Mainly because of you,” the captain replied. “Are you comfortable?”

“As comfortable as a person cuffed to a table can be,” Yuki said. 

“Well, how comfortable you are isn’t really of my concern. If you cooperate, this can be done within the day.”

“Oh, I know. I could probably end this within an hour. However, I don’t feel like doing that.”

“I hope you don’t make this more trouble than it already is,” the captain requested with a small sigh. “I believe you know what we’re about to do now? I’m still required to tell you but I’m sure you know.”

“We’re about to do the interrogation, correct?” Yuki said. He glanced about the room as he spoke. “There are sensors around here that are detecting whether or not I’m lying and sending the results to an earpiece that you’re wearing right now.”

“You certainly know a lot.”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“In any case, as per my requirements, we about to initiate the interrogation,” the captain recited. “Anything you say or do in this interrogation can be used against you. This is being recorded and will be saved for later reference. You have the right to remain silent if you like to but any lies will be detected. If you do lie during our time here, you will be charged with obstruction. Is this all understood?”

“You seem to have a lot of trust within your lie detectors.”

“Of course. They’re the most advanced in the market. Any deceptions, small or big, will be found.”

“I think you’ll find that claim challenged very soon,” Yuki said softly. “Don’t trust technology like this too often. It’s a tool, not a person.”

“You seem to be putting an awful lot of trust in your words,” the captain retorted. “Now, let’s begin. First, tell me who you are.”

“I’m a person.”

“Your name, I meant,” the captain restated, rubbing his eyes.

“Yuki Mayumi.”

“Are you a part of the dark guild, the Valkyries?”

“Yes.”

“What is position are within the guild?”

“I’m a member of the guild,” Yuki said, staring coolly at the captain. The captain tilted his head as he listened to the earpiece in his ear. His eyebrows knitted together.

“Is you title not ‘Boss’ within the guild?” the captain asked glancing back toward Yuki.

“It is.”

“...”

“What, did your detector not say anything?” Yuki asked, his voice innocent. “I wasn’t lying. I am a member. I’m also the head but I am a member.”

“Your going to do that aren’t you?” the captain sighed. “Where you give partial truths.”

“Oh, no,” Yuki shook his head. “I’m not giving partial truths. Those would be detected by your sensors because I’m still being deceptive. I’m telling you the truth.”

“What?”

“Do you not understand the technology that you’re using? It detects intent and monitors the common signs of lying. With mana, it peers into the mind of the person being interrogated and reports back if certain signs of lying are found.”

“I know all that. I’m the captain.”

“Then you should be able to figure out the rest. I’m not lying, captain.”

“Let’s get back onto our original conversation,” the captain said. He shifted a bit in his seat before speaking again. “Are you the leader of the Valkyries?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Now, what is the main goal of your guild?”

“Short term? I would assume it’s to get me out of this place. They’ll probably succeed as well,” Yuki said nonchalantly. 

“I can assure you that that won’t be happening,” the captain smiled. “They don’t know where you are. They won’t be able to even detect your mana signature.”

“Are you talking about these cuffs? I’m not very worried about them. They know where I am. You can count on it.”

“Hope can only hurt you, Yuki. I’ll warn you right now.”

“My, aren’t you considerate.” The captain’s smile dropped and his expression became serious.

“What’s your guild’s overall goal?” the captain asked. “The reason why you were created.”

“That’s a better question. Our main goal is to hinder and destroy the dark guild known as the Shikaku. Though, I’m sure you know that by now.”

“The Shikaku.”

“Yes, them. You should know them quite well, don’t you captain?” Yuki replied, raising an eyebrow. “You are the head of the largest branch of the LIA.”

“Why do you want to defeat them? Are you not the same?” the captain asked. 

“Our only similarity is that we are both dark guilds. And maybe a few of our methods. But ideology?” Yuki shook his head. “We are completely different.”

“But why defeat them? What purpose does that serve you?”

“Purpose? Just defeating a dark guild is good in itself.”

“I’m sure that’s not the only reason why,” the captain said. He leaned in closer to Yuki. “What have they done to you that you feel like destroying them?”

“They’ve done so much, captain. So much that I can barely begin,” Yuki said softly. “And I’m sure you know what they’ve done as well. They’ve killed so many for so little. They have no restraint or second thought. Such a group cannot exist. They’ll only bring chaos to this world.”

“That’s very true. However, I would say that your guild is doing just the same if not more.” The captain leaned back and rested the back of his head onto his interlaced fingers. “Interfering with one of the largest corporations in the world and breaking into one of their facilities. And that’s all I know of right now. I can’t even imagine what you’ve done in the Academy or to the rest of the world.”

“Anything I have done so far pales in comparison to the Shikaku,” Yuki replied coolly. “I have not gone around killing random people because of how they look or imprisoning them because of their existence.”

“Imprisoning.”

“Yes, captain. Imprisoning. I’m sure you’ve heard about it from Mason Inc. already, haven’t you? You already told me you know I broke into one of their facilities. I’m sure you can guess which one. They had quite a few unhappy guests inside it.”

The captain regarded him with inexpressive eyes. Yuki stared right back, waiting for the captain’s inevitable reply.

“I’ll be sure to look into then,” he said. “But we have diverged from our original topic. Again. Tell me ...sir? Ma’am? I know that your gender has been designated as unspecified by the Academy.”

“Call me whatever you like. I’ve gotten used to both,” Yuki shrugged.

“Ma’am then. Tell me, what have you done during the time you were leader of your guild?”

“I’m still am the leader, captain. And what I’ve done is already well documented by you and your department.”

“I’m sure you’ve done more than break into trucks and steal goods.”

“And indeed I have.”

“Then would you please elaborate on those things?”

“I don’t think it’s necessary that I do,” Yuki replied. “And I do think there is something a bit odd with this ‘interrogation’.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe it’s the fact that you already have evidence to put me in prison. I’ve already admitted to leading a dark guild. To breaking and entering. For theft. So why are you still asking me questions?”

“I thought it was obvious?” the captain said. “I still need to make sure what the extent of your crimes are, don’t I?”

“And what exactly are you fishing for?”

“Anything new, really. Maybe bribery, assault, fraud, or maybe even murder.” The captain’s eyes bored right into Yuki’s. “Now that would be important for me to find out, wouldn't it?”

“Indeed it would,” Yuki replied. He shrugged again. “And mind telling me how you’ll find such things from this conversation?”

“I was planning to ask you politely. I can lessen the charges if you just confess here and now.”

“Charges for what exactly? Murder? That you have no basis for a claim of? Or my theft charges? The ones that will end within a couple years?”

“So I take it your not going to make this easy.”

“I’ve already made your job so easy, captain,” Yuki shook his head. “I’ve surrendered without a fight. I answered each and everyone of your questions. I’ve even confessed to crimes. So why are you still so unsatisfied?”

“Because I know you’ve done more, Yuki. My senses don’t lie to me,” the captain said, his voice rumbling. “And I won’t stop until I found what that more is.”

“You mean, you won’t stop until I’m dead.” 

A deafening silence fell over the two as their eyes locked onto each other, one pair a cool grey and the other a menacing brown. Yuki ticked the seconds off in his head as he competed in this contest of wills that he was not about to lose.

The captain broke off the contact and stood slowly. He considered Yuki with a gaze that conveyed both respect and animosity. 

“We’ll see how well you’ll hold onto that hope of yours,” he said. Then the metal door opened and he left the room.

‘Is it really hope if it’s certain?’ Yuki asked.

[I wouldn’t think so,] Akira replied, her voice filled with amusement. [Did you really need to drag out that conversation for so long?]

‘It’s safe to say that I was bored. And there was a chance that Yuna was listening.’

[Still trying to nudge her? I don’t think there’s much we can do at this point anymore. She’s on her own for now.]

‘I still want her to see everything for her own. With unclouded eyes. And that includes her own captain. She’s been watering the seeds of doubt within her mind. I want to see if they’ll flower.’

[I do too. But whether they do or not is entirely up to her now,] Akira said. [Moving on. The target date is for two days from now. You said that the normal process takes three days to transition, right?]

‘Yup. That includes today as well.’

[Then in two days. We’ll come.]

‘I look forward to it.’

I finished the chapter I was working on earlier than expected so here's a chapter on time. c:

133