Chapter 1: The end of a dull life
644 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Haru POV)

"Well… I'm finally kicking the bucket cough cough." (Haru)

Yep… this is the so-called end of the line. From where should I start? The logical answer should be from the very beginning.

To put it in simple terms, I wasted my entire life. To begin with, nothing about me was outstanding.

My school days weren't what you could call "interesting." My daily routine was to get up early, eat, study, and then sleep. This didn't change when I started working; you only need to replace school time with work time, and that's it.

As simple as that. However, my only sources of entertainment were video games, anime, etc.

Everything you can find as long as you are alone for enough time. I don't think I reached the level of calling myself an otaku, but at least I'm very confident about that knowledge.

Oh, yeah, my family, I forgot to talk about them. I don't have a tragic backstory, so growing up in a cruel family or any tragic tear-jerking past never existed. Instead, I had the best family I could ever ask for.

I wholeheartedly believe that my parents were the best in the entire world. I had their full support whenever I tried something new or was in trouble. I can say without any doubt that they were the only shiny spark in my life. I still miss those days when we were together, joking and laughing.

I hoped to have more time with them, but I lost them on the day of my bachelor's degree graduation ceremony. Instead of celebrating that day with smiles, I ended up with tears of loss.

From that point forward, my life became colorless and void of emotion. I could mourn for hours and tell you how empty my life was while making an incredible drama. But at this point, it's worthless.

I always knew I would be alone in my final moments; this is something I knew would happen. But I never expected to feel this level of regret and frustration for wasting my life. Maybe... if I tried to achieve something else, I don't know, like getting a family or friends, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone today.

"Haha… As my mother always said, You reap what you sow. Well… It's too late to regret. It would be enjoyable to reincarnate into another world or some bullshit like that. Sadly, I don't believe in the possibility of something like that happening." (Haru)

It is bizarre to be saying this, but I could feel death coming closer with each passing moment. I felt my body getting weaker and weaker, and even keeping my eyelids open was a struggle.

“Please… delete…my…internet… history…”(Haru)

After spending the last vestiges of my life on those stupid words, my life fades away like putting off the lights of a candle. It's a stupid ending for a foolish person... Surprisingly, the darkness of the afterlife felt very comfortable, as if I was floating in the sea.

With nothing else to do, I tried to remember my entire life while waiting to lose the last traces of myself. But instead of what I expected, I heard a voice coming from the darkness.

"And this would go here… fu… I estimate that I need to spend another millennium to fix these errors … wait, what is this? Why is a wandering soul here? A lost one? I haven't seen one in the last billion years. This means the damage is greater than I thought…" (???)

Ok… this is not what I expected the afterlife to be like…. A strange voice calling me lost one while speaking of some damage…

I give up. I don't understand what is happening. Is this what they call the pre-death delirium? I am dead... right?

"Sorry, little child, you are not supposed to be here. More specifically, your life in the world you are coming from was not supposed to happen. I can give you a new life as compensation for this mistake; would you take it?" (???)

Wait, wait, wait, wait. You said this was happening because of some error!

"You don't need to worry about that little child. Your case isn't related to my current problem... probably." (???)

… You know what, I don't want nor need to know about your problem. Returning to the main topic, isn't your proposition a reincarnation in another world? You know, like the anime on Earth... Sorry, I don't think you get the reference.

"Yes, this is exactly what you think it is. It is like the reincarnation genre that you enjoyed seeing." (???)

Can I be honest? I'm flabbergasted. I can't believe that God would know that subculture.

"Silly child, you don't need to be surprised by this. You said I'm a God, but I am not. If I had to describe myself, then I would call myself an administrator." (Administrator)

Eh? This gives me more questions than answers.

"I exist to maintain the balance between worlds and save every knowledge in each world... If we are talking in terms you can understand, you can say I'm a multidimensional database.

My role is to register the existing knowledge of every world and maintain the bonds between them. But I cannot interfere with the worlds, as I am an external being. Our meeting was possible because your soul is on the border between worlds." (Administrator)

I understand, so that is the reason for our reunion? Anyway, I would like to thank you for this opportunity. One last question: You said something about some error before. I know I said something like not wanting to know anything about it. But now I feel bad for accepting your kindness and doing nothing. Can I help you with something?

"No, little child, the problem I am facing is beyond anything you can do. If you want to do anything for me, then enjoy the opportunity I am giving you." (Administrator)

I see... Then I will show you how much I can enjoy my new life.

"That is enough. The world you will reincarnate in is a world where humans and spirits coexist. The foundation of this world's civilization relies on magic and astral energy, so don't expect any advanced technology.

Although I cannot grant you a special gift, at least I can guarantee a stable family, so don't worry about any financial or family struggles. And finally, if something unusual happens that does not match the world's rules, be careful of ■■■■■■■" (Administrator)

Wait, world's rules? Who?

"You will know if the time comes, but I pray you never come across it. Now go, little child, enjoy your new life." (Administrator)

Thank you for this second chance. Although I'm still worried about the last part, I can handle it.

An intense dizziness overtook my senses as I fantasized about my new life. Before losing consciousness, a final thought appeared: What is waiting on the other side?

16